Other Games 3/5-3/9

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Other Games 3/5-3/9

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:46 am

A few thousand Irish chose to support Sunderland when Quinn was their chairman and Keane was their manager.

There's also those who like to root for the underdog in sport.

I began supporting City in the late eighties and I don't fall into any of the above criteria. One of the many things that appealed to me about the club was that they were underdogs.

Yeah exactly, but that's the point of his post though. You don't support a team unless you find some sort of emotional attachment to it like the examples recounted above or the ones you recounted, like a national connection or that you, like you and me, like an underdog. There are certainly quite a few more but If you don't have any of those emotional connections, are you supposed to refrain from watching football? And, in the long run, are any of the emotional reasons better than "I want to watch a team that plays entertaining [whatever that might be] football"? Of course, if you switch teams back and forth depending on how well they do that's another matter but if you start watching City from now on because they're good and you like Agüero, what's the problem?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
A few thousand Irish chose to support Sunderland when Quinn was their chairman and Keane was their manager.

I began supporting City in the late eighties and I don't fall into any of the above criteria. One of the many things that appealed to me about the club was that they were underdogs.

Yeah exactly, but that's the point of his post though. You don't support a team unless you find some sort of emotional attachment to it like the examples recounted above or the ones you recounted, like a national connection or that you, like you and me, like an underdog. There are certainly quite a few more but If you don't have any of those emotional connections, are you supposed to refrain from watching football? And, in the long run, are any of the emotional reasons better than "I want to watch a team that plays entertaining [whatever that might be] football"? Of course, if you switch teams back and forth depending on how well they do that's another matter but if you start watching City from now on because they're good and you like Agüero, what's the problem?

I wasn't disputing his overall point, just providing a reason why some might support unpopular teams as he was questioning why people would do that.

I don't have an issue with anyone supporting City, some of the longest suffering City fans I know started supporting City in the late 60s so they were what would be defined glory hunters.

I do struggle with the concept of supporting two teams in the same sport though. There are teams I look out for in other leagues, have a soft spot for but there can only be one club when it comes to support in my book.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

I wasn't disputing his overall point, just providing a reason why some might support unpopular teams as he was questioning why people would do that.

I don't have an issue with anyone supporting City, some of the longest suffering City fans I know started supporting City in the late 60s so they were what would be defined glory hunters.

I do struggle with the concept of supporting two teams in the same sport though. There are teams I look out for in other leagues, have a soft spot for but there can only be one club when it comes to support in my book.

And there in lies the nub of why Phips has pissed so many people off.
Phips , before I start and I don't really know why I'm bothering, I don't hate you. I don't dislike you. I don't even think you get up my nose. I don't know you.
However I do think you have been sussed out on here by people who probably look out for these things more than I do.
That was a very good reply above by the way but the most striking thing for me when I read it was your colour scheme of Yellow and Black. How apt, whether intentional or not.
I can understand why you irritate so many people on here. My observation has been that you court it. If we haven't been in an argument about you for a while you somehow manage to throw in an ambiguous one liner that can be seen as a back handed compliment at best or just a plain put down.
Your not on your own in doing that. However the fact that you wouldn't come clean about yourself is what a lot probably find unforgivable. If you just came out and said this is me. This is my football allegiance. Not try to be something you are not and give the impression you aren't something you are.

I have a theory about the likes of OD and FIBD in particular, although I'm not suggesting they are of completely the same opinion. Being Irish, we have that kind of bread into us. We hate people trying to be what they aren't. Being Irish I fall into that category also.
There are others on here that troll as badly. There's Tarka and that weird Collins chap that needs help. They are what they are and don't pretend to be anything other than wind up merchants, although I'm not sure what Collins thinks he's at.
You my friend, come across as wanting to seem like a City supporter, but every now and then you like to stir up something out of nothing, and it just smacks of attention seeking. it also makes me feel that you've let your guard slip.
You then start crying that everybody is misunderstanding you and other people write worse and don't get picked on. Quite often that may be true. But you need to contextualise these examples. Others may sound off in the heat of disappointment, but there is a common theme that keeps recurring with your pearls of wisdom. I think you like the attention. So I'm after feeding you more of it.

Like I said. I honestly don't mind the stuff you write. A lot of the criticism of you is probably disproportionate to the snippets you write. But you have a history and it is in this context that I perfectly understand why so many people take exception.
Everybody else can't be wrong and you right. If you don't like it, come clean and make a fresh start, otherwise carry on as you are. I suspect you'll carry on as you are.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:45 am

And you're forgetting the supporters who got drawn to City because of Billy Meredith! Glory hunters the lot of them.

Agree about the different clubs. A mate of mine said that while you can have several mistresses, you can only have one wife. Think that applies here and would City play the team I try to keep up with in Sweden, I would hope we (City) crushed them (and would relish the chance to watch City in Sweden btw, get it sorted City!). But that's my personal opinion though, I know several City supporters here in Sweden (one of them moved to Manchester in the 90s just to be able to watch City) who are as dedicated to their Swedish team as they are to City and I don't doubt they would get conflicted. Proper City fans though the lot of them, cannot be denied. Probably more dedicated than you and me combined.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm

I was going to write something about Zlatan being my biggest football idol (like ever, I turn into a child when discussing him) and that I'd be conflicted if City were to meet a team with him in the line up. Suffice to say, I am not looking forward to our quarter finals against them. I hope we win, but I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:I was going to write something about Zlatan being my biggest football idol (like ever, I turn into a child when discussing him) and that I'd be conflicted if City were to meet a team with him in the line up. Suffice to say, I am not looking forward to our quarter finals against them. I hope we win, but I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Zlatan to get a Hat-Trick and City to win 10-3 WIN WIN
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Zlatan to get a Hat-Trick and City to win 10-3 WIN WIN

I could live with that :)

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bigblue » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:39 pm

phips, I'm not going to quote your whole reply. I'll just reiterate that you can't seem to grasp at all what it means to actually support a club.

Let's start by saying there is nothing wrong with being a casual fan. If you're new to football or any other sport, it makes the game more interesting to pick a team to root for. But you should be up front and acknowledge that you're just following City and Dortmund for this reason. That's the main problem with you.

So you started getting into football, saw City play, liked a few of our players, and decided to start supporting City. Great! More the merrier. Then you downloaded FIFA and started playing as Dortmund. No problem there, it's a video game. But for the record (and I haven't played FIFA in 5 or 6 years), I've never heard of only being able to pick from a handful of teams. Maybe you downloaded a demo version or Chinese bootleg, who knows. Just saying it sounds like a bit of bullshit somewhere in there.

Now if you already support City (and watch the PL), why choose to also support Dortmund (and follow the Bundesliga)? They play at overlapping times and you already support a club. I can assume that you're new to sports as well if you can't understand this. Do you also support 2 NBA or NFL teams? Would you fall in love with 2 women for years/decades at a time? If you met someone like that you'd tell them they're being a cunt and need to make up their mind!

It can make sense to support 2 teams, such as your home team and City (what cocojojo was referring to). Because it's normally a team in some lower tier league that you have a local attachment to but their level of play is slightly above amateur + a team you've fallen in love with (for whatever reason) that competes at a better level.

I have nothing against new City fans from around the and welcome them with open arms. When I was in Vietnam for the whole of last year, there were tons of new City fans who mainly joined us because of our star players and titles. They usually didn't support a local team because the VN league is as blatantly corrupt as they get. But they were passionate about City and really knowledgeable about football (the whole country is crazy about the sport). Look at the great new City fans in from all round the world (some of which were new to football as well):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... O8DmK6JKdG

The huge difference is no football fan I've met anywhere in the world (Asia, USA, Latin America...) would ever profess to actually supporting 2 teams from Europe (or away from home in general). They might support one team in England and prefer teams in other leagues to win. But they always make a clear distinction of who is their #1 team. To openly support 2 teams equally is to be a glory hunter/plastic/hollow cunt.

I'd encourage you to actually go to a football match if you've never been. Experience the atmosphere, meet some fans, and maybe you can start to grasp what I'm talking about. If you can't make it to a stadium, just go to a bar and watch the game with some other fans. If you're in shape, find a real (not video) game to play in. I don't know where the fuck you live in California, so here's a map of teams you could see play:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Canada.png

And for the record I live in Washington, DC. I understand perfectly how soccer works here in America. I played high-school and college soccer here! So you can get the fuck out with calling me "xenophobic". What on earth do you even mean by that? There's also plenty City supporters in America. There's supporters clubs in DC, Philly, NYC, Chicago, LA and many other places all over the world:

http://mcfcsupportersclub.co.uk/branches/

I'm not close minded and I'm not going to be open to your shit "alternative viewpoint". You don't understand at all what it means to be a fan of any sports team.

It's ok to not understand the connection supporters have with their team when you've just started getting into sports. But you're willfully ignorant, refuse to take in anything, and just go around annoying people who have been actually supporting City for much longer than you've even known about football.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Can you lot get a room with Philps, or at least start a 'Glory Hunter' thread.

Jeeeez!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Can you lot get a room with Philps, or at least start a 'Glory Hunter' thread.

Jeeeez!

I think that's half the point Beefy. This wouldn't be contained by it's own thread.
Any thread can get infected, if things are moving slow enough in the week.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 am

He's a fucking fluuuuuuute.

The end.
Original Dub

Postby phips » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:22 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:" who, aside from someone who falls into the below 5 categories, willfully chooses to support a shit team like, say, Sunderland?
1. born into a family of Sunderland fans
2. born in Sunderland
3. partner, family member, or friend plays/works for Sunderland
4. have no allegiance but then marry into a Sunderland family
5. used to work/play for Sunderland
how on Earth would it be entertaining or fun to support and watch Sunderland if you didn't fall into those above criteria? isn't that what watching sports and supporting a team or teams is about?"

ah yes, the nationality link. correct. but still, thats still another criteria that links a potential fan to a middling club rather than being something that draws in a completely uninvested person (such as your point below which is a good one).

There's also those who like to root for the underdog in sport. Very fair point. I often find myself rooting for the underdog in sporting events where i have no vested interest. but i do think that would lose its charm after awhile. imagine rooting for Villa all season because they were the underdog. it'd be maddening. most people wouldn't keep up with it.

I have a question for you Phips, how will you feel if Gundogan does sign for City this summer?
id be upset but also happy. id be upset because Dortmund will be weaker and that Bayern machine is getting old(er) and Carlo will be in his first season and Tuchel has Dortmund humming perfectly so next season they will have a real chance at pipping Bayern to the title.

but ill also be happy he's gone to City and not Bayern or anywhere else. he's quality on the ball but does lack goals. still though, you can't keep someone who doesnt want to stay and he clearly doesnt (as evidenced by how he's handled his recent extensions).

And back to the original bone of contention, why are you so adamant that those three players won't be sold? City want Gundogan, Madrid want whatshisname? and Bayern want Reus. I'd say the chances of at least two of the three being sold are fairly high. Oh and then there's Weigl too, he's attracting a lot of interest.
Im certain Gundogan will leave.
Reus? not so much. he just extended (sure that could've been solely to include a higher buyout clause) and he's vice captain and he's gotta see wha Tuchel is doing there. plus, he's a Dortmund kid.
PEA? much of the same with the above. i do think he'll move on eventually but just not this summer.

i read something awhile back that polled current Bundesliga players and most of them had no desire to go to the Prem.

also, Dortmund has no reason to sell Weigl, Reus, or PEA. they make plenty of money (obv. not City or Bayern or whoever else level) and they'll be in the CL again. and, not beat the dead horse, Tuchel really has things running nicely. why gut your team right as it looks good and competitive?

I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
Barclays Premier League 2023-2024 CH4MPIONS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby phips » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:32 am

iwasthere2012 wrote: the most striking thing for me when I read it was your colour scheme of Yellow and Black. How apt, whether intentional or not.
i tried black, white, and blue first but none of them were legible. and stupid me, the white is the normal color so that wouldn't have worked.
However the fact that you wouldn't come clean about yourself is what a lot probably find unforgivable. If you just came out and said this is me. This is my football allegiance. Not try to be something you are not and give the impression you aren't something you are.
im confused. not sure what i have to come clean about. I've made it clear that i support 2 clubs and won't blindly blow smoke up the clubs' asses just because i support them.

You my friend, come across as wanting to seem like a City supporter, but every now and then you like to stir up something out of nothing, and it just smacks of attention seeking. it also makes me feel that you've let your guard slip.
quite frankly, me trying to post shit to wind people up and troll people is a waste of my fucking time. i dont do that.
i write what's on my mind and dont hold things back because im a supporter of a club. it's different, i get it.

I think you like the attention. So I'm after feeding you more of it.
quite the contrary. believe you me, i wish i could post something on here and get a few responses and some small back and forth and then that would be that. im sick of how threads constantly get hijacked (like this one)

If you don't like it, come clean and make a fresh start, otherwise carry on as you are. I suspect you'll carry on as you are.
again, not sure why i need to come clean about. I've been a City fan since 2009. im not masquerading as anything but that.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:44 am

phips wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote: the most striking thing for me when I read it was your colour scheme of Yellow and Black. How apt, whether intentional or not.
i tried black, white, and blue first but none of them were legible. and stupid me, the white is the normal color so that wouldn't have worked.
However the fact that you wouldn't come clean about yourself is what a lot probably find unforgivable. If you just came out and said this is me. This is my football allegiance. Not try to be something you are not and give the impression you aren't something you are.
im confused. not sure what i have to come clean about. I've made it clear that i support 2 clubs and won't blindly blow smoke up the clubs' asses just because i support them.

quite frankly, me trying to post shit to wind people up and troll people is a waste of my fucking time. i dont do that.
i write what's on my mind and dont hold things back because im a supporter of a club. it's different, i get it.

I think you like the attention. So I'm after feeding you more of it.
quite the contrary. believe you me, i wish i could post something on here and get a few responses and some small back and forth and then that would be that. im sick of how threads constantly get hijacked (like this one)

If you don't like it, come clean and make a fresh start, otherwise carry on as you are. I suspect you'll carry on as you are.
again, not sure why i need to come clean about. I've been a City fan since 2009. im not masquerading as anything but that.

Phips. I stand back and observe in most of the exchanges that go on with you and others. Like I said, you don't particularly rub me up the wrong way. But without having any ulterior motive, they are my observations. If you genuinely don't see it that way that's your perogative.
I don't really care enough to go looking for examples for you but I think if you can't see
your own part in this then good luck to you with your future on here.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

You Cunts

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 am

Somebody needs to lock this thread. That red shite has just burnt myveyes out!

I thought Philps was a thread Nazi, trawling through old ones so not to infect the board yet we get this shit. Seems ironic really but does say to me that it's just another way to gain attention, no matter how little it is.

Note to self - stay out of thread.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby HailNerdQueen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:30 pm

phips wrote:quite the contrary. believe you me, i wish i could post something on here and get a few responses and some small back and forth and then that would be that. im sick of how threads constantly get hijacked (like this one)

Erm, it doesn't seem like you actually want responses OR a conversation when you distinctly replied to me with a shut down. Remember? It's been quoted enough. You know...this thing you kept reiterating?
HailNerdQueen wrote:Let's see how well they do next season without Reus, Gundogan & Aubameyang

phips wrote:aint happening so theres no point speculating.

Just saying, if you wanted a discussion so much and were so upset as to the purported "hijacking" of this thread, maybe actually joining in the discussion instead of repeating your shut down over and over again would have been a better call, gained less vitriol, etc. Maybe I'm being a typical American girl here, but I certainly don't like being shut down or told what to say and when to say it, which is precisely what you seemed to be doing...
HailNerdQueen
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby phips » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I thought Philps was a thread Nazi, trawling through old ones so not to infect the board yet we get this shit. Seems ironic really but does say to me that it's just another way to gain attention, no matter how little it is.

you're right. me responding to people who are asking me questions is my way of seeking out attention.

you can't make it up...

HailNerdQueen wrote:
phips wrote:quite the contrary. believe you me, i wish i could post something on here and get a few responses and some small back and forth and then that would be that. im sick of how threads constantly get hijacked (like this one)

Erm, it doesn't seem like you actually want responses OR a conversation when you distinctly replied to me with a shut down. Remember?

why on Earth would i want to engage in a discussion with you when your 2nd reply to me ever was a 0-100% post spewing your own vitriol at me? hm. think about that one.
in what world is this an acceptable response given what i said?

phips wrote:
HailNerdQueen wrote:
phips wrote:Let's see how well they do next season without Reus, Gundogan & Aubameyang

aint happening so theres no point speculating.

No point speculating? I'm sorry, are we or are we not on a fucking football fan forum... Isn't most of what goes on here bullshitting and speculation. Forgive the everliving fuck out of me for thinking, sir. I'll remember to ask permission next time. Wanker.
Last edited by phips on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Whoops, wrong thread.

This one's dead.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Whoops, wrong thread.

This one's dead.

Agree. Shutdown now.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Yes, let's return immediately to talking about how poor the refs are and how corrupt SKY and the FA are. We don't do THAT enough.

Insinuation.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum