***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby PeterParker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:44 am

I am frustrated by this, to be honest.

Not because we lost, but because we lost in this competition. I really wanted for us to win it this year also and set the new record for 5 consecutive wins.

All in all that is a pot we missed. The second so far this season, after the Shield.
There is a chance we might end up with nothing in June when it all ends.
Forgot how that feels.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17211
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby salford city » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:56 am

Could not get a stream so missed this. Fact is the team that was put out was more than capable and from reading on here, KDB, Mahrez and Sterling did not show up. Mahrez and Sterling are not first choice now and I suspect borh will be gone soon.
Disappointed to lose as its great to get a trophy in February but I was over it after the game and we move on to concentrate on Palace.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Wooders » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 am

I know I moan about this cup but I genuinely believe it does more harm than good and I’m glad to have a few less games for the boys to focus on the more important competitions
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15495
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: UK
Supporter of: City

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Outcast » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:02 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:When was the last time we played well with Sterling in the team?

Surely you’re not blaming that game on Sterling, a team filled with those trying to make a way back or impact?

Let’s save the incriminations for after the shoot-our, if we must.

It’s a simple question?

No, mate, is misdirection and a blame game. Sterling wasn’t bad tonight and they all struggled to make a real impact against a packed defence. Just one of those things.

Not meaning to get into any dispute, we’ve just lost and do we now blame Foden? No, we don’t, and I see it as Pep playing a second team in order to get some confidence into them, proved by the team he set out.

Played quite well against a club doing very well. Not up to the first team standard, but positives to take for individual players.


For someone on a reported £300k a week, trots around thinking he's world class is not good enough. It's been almost two years since his bad form, he just doesn't bring enough to the table, he's not a game changer, brings nothing to the table. We are paying him top dollar so yes we are entitled to expect more. I can put up with him being shit if had that ability to turn a game around with a moment of magic, you know very well he doesn't have that in his locker. Beefy, I think it's only you seem to give him a free pass, I'm not saying you should lay into him, I just don't see the logic behind it, you know very well he isn't going to turn it around, he isn't an out of form Aguero.
Outcast
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:11 am

Outcast wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:When was the last time we played well with Sterling in the team?

Surely you’re not blaming that game on Sterling, a team filled with those trying to make a way back or impact?

Let’s save the incriminations for after the shoot-our, if we must.

It’s a simple question?

No, mate, is misdirection and a blame game. Sterling wasn’t bad tonight and they all struggled to make a real impact against a packed defence. Just one of those things.

Not meaning to get into any dispute, we’ve just lost and do we now blame Foden? No, we don’t, and I see it as Pep playing a second team in order to get some confidence into them, proved by the team he set out.

Played quite well against a club doing very well. Not up to the first team standard, but positives to take for individual players.


For someone on a reported £300k a week, trots around thinking he's world class is not good enough. It's been almost two years since his bad form, he just doesn't bring enough to the table, he's not a game changer, brings nothing to the table. We are paying him top dollar so yes we are entitled to expect more. I can put up with him being shit if had that ability to turn a game around with a moment of magic, you know very well he doesn't have that in his locker. Beefy, I think it's only you seem to give him a free pass, I'm not saying you should lay into him, I just don't see the logic behind it, you know very well he isn't going to turn it around, he isn't an out of form Aguero.


Beefy is Sterlings number one fan ( photo finish with mr J !) so it’s pointless trying to get him to agree with you .

The rest of us know he’s shit - there’s nothing else to say really .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 28124
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby stevefromdonny » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46 am

at least we have a few weeks off instead of playing, give the players a rest coming up to Xmas fixtures, pool chelsea if they get to final will be fucked
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am
Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 am

I know that we know better, but that front three of Mahrez Sterling and Debruyne would arguably walk in to most European teams. That's what frustrates me so much, the fact that none of them had the balls to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and show some leadership.

The Sterling situation has me baffled and like most I think its time to call it a day. Two years is a long time to wait for form to return. Mahrez isn't far off, though we know that he's recently gained form when we have doubted him.

As for Kev, lets just say I'm really worried. Never seen so many straightforward passes going astray as the last few games he's taken part in.
Image
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash
 
Posts: 10043
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:32 am
Location: london
Supporter of: MCFC

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby PeterParker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:42 am

london blue 2 wrote:I know that we know better, but that front three of Mahrez Sterling and Debruyne would arguably walk in to most European teams. That's what frustrates me so much, the fact that none of them had the balls to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and show some leadership.

The Sterling situation has me baffled and like most I think its time to call it a day. Two years is a long time to wait for form to return. Mahrez isn't far off, though we know that he's recently gained form when we have doubted him.

As for Kev, lets just say I'm really worried. Never seen so many straightforward passes going astray as the last few games he's taken part in.


The thing is none of those three are leaders, to be fair.
Funny how both Kevin and Sterling were captains.

But talking about leadership, was odd that Mahrez and Kevin, our two best penalty takers, were changed just before the penalties. Did not understand that, to be fair.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17211
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Outcast » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 am

PeterParker wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I know that we know better, but that front three of Mahrez Sterling and Debruyne would arguably walk in to most European teams. That's what frustrates me so much, the fact that none of them had the balls to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and show some leadership.

The Sterling situation has me baffled and like most I think its time to call it a day. Two years is a long time to wait for form to return. Mahrez isn't far off, though we know that he's recently gained form when we have doubted him.

As for Kev, lets just say I'm really worried. Never seen so many straightforward passes going astray as the last few games he's taken part in.


The thing is none of those three are leaders, to be fair.
Funny how both Kevin and Sterling were captains.

But talking about leadership, was odd that Mahrez and Kevin, our two best penalty takers, were changed just before the penalties. Did not understand that, to be fair.


Dias and Bernie were missing big time
Outcast
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby PeterParker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Outcast wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I know that we know better, but that front three of Mahrez Sterling and Debruyne would arguably walk in to most European teams. That's what frustrates me so much, the fact that none of them had the balls to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and show some leadership.

The Sterling situation has me baffled and like most I think its time to call it a day. Two years is a long time to wait for form to return. Mahrez isn't far off, though we know that he's recently gained form when we have doubted him.

As for Kev, lets just say I'm really worried. Never seen so many straightforward passes going astray as the last few games he's taken part in.


The thing is none of those three are leaders, to be fair.
Funny how both Kevin and Sterling were captains.

But talking about leadership, was odd that Mahrez and Kevin, our two best penalty takers, were changed just before the penalties. Did not understand that, to be fair.


Dias and Bernie were missing big time


I wonder how Bernie is ranked in the captaincy top in our club. He seems like he is loved by everyone, jokes a lot with him, but is he a leader?
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17211
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Outcast » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:50 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Outcast wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I know that we know better, but that front three of Mahrez Sterling and Debruyne would arguably walk in to most European teams. That's what frustrates me so much, the fact that none of them had the balls to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and show some leadership.

The Sterling situation has me baffled and like most I think its time to call it a day. Two years is a long time to wait for form to return. Mahrez isn't far off, though we know that he's recently gained form when we have doubted him.

As for Kev, lets just say I'm really worried. Never seen so many straightforward passes going astray as the last few games he's taken part in.


The thing is none of those three are leaders, to be fair.
Funny how both Kevin and Sterling were captains.

But talking about leadership, was odd that Mahrez and Kevin, our two best penalty takers, were changed just before the penalties. Did not understand that, to be fair.


Dias and Bernie were missing big time


I wonder how Bernie is ranked in the captaincy top in our club. He seems like he is loved by everyone, jokes a lot with him, but is he a leader?


Nope, his workrate iis on another level.
Outcast
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby nottsblue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 pm

A pot is a pot and we've been knocked out of arguably the easiest one to win.

Can't say I'm not bothered about it. I know we will get a free midweek but I would rather still be in it
nottsblue
Pellegrini's Hoodie
 
Posts: 22724
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby stupot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Kev's had a few poor games by his standards after 2 bad injuries but still does loads of positives such as the goal at Liverpool, the goal against Burnley, the superb assist for Walker in Belgium.
Bernardo has been brilliant this season, back to how he was in 18/19 but he had 2 very average seasons in between.
Kev's PFA Player of the year 2 years running for a reason
stupot
Tevez's Golfing Holiday
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:23 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Mase » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm

stupot wrote:Kev's had a few poor games by his standards after 2 bad injuries but still does loads of positives such as the goal at Liverpool, the goal against Burnley, the superb assist for Walker in Belgium.
Bernardo has been brilliant this season, back to how he was in 18/19 but he had 2 very average seasons in between.
Kev's PFA Player of the year 2 years running for a reason


We can’t focus on the past though mate, it’s about what they’re doing now, this season.
But your point is that players will have ups and downs and at some point Kev will not only have games where he’s playing okay, like you point out he is now, but he’ll be back to being brilliant and at KDB level. And I agree.
Mase
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 29709
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby PeterParker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:46 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:Kev's had a few poor games by his standards after 2 bad injuries but still does loads of positives such as the goal at Liverpool, the goal against Burnley, the superb assist for Walker in Belgium.
Bernardo has been brilliant this season, back to how he was in 18/19 but he had 2 very average seasons in between.
Kev's PFA Player of the year 2 years running for a reason


We can’t focus on the past though mate, it’s about what they’re doing now, this season.
But your point is that players will have ups and downs and at some point Kev will not only have games where he’s playing okay, like you point out he is now, but he’ll be back to being brilliant and at KDB level. And I agree.


What I don't get is the "average" part about last season. Agree 19/20 was wank, piss poor after that Mendy incident. I think there was a lot of social media abuse he got, plus he felt it was wrong what happened to him.
But last year he was on fire for the majority of the season. Crucial with Villa and Everton to keep our run going. He and Gundo played excellent when Kevin was out but when Kevin came back, he looked again lost.
This season it looks like he finally is working with anyone besides him.
I think also Pep changed his position. He plays more centrally than wide IMHO. Like Merlin did.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17211
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Outcast wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:When was the last time we played well with Sterling in the team?

Surely you’re not blaming that game on Sterling, a team filled with those trying to make a way back or impact?

Let’s save the incriminations for after the shoot-our, if we must.

It’s a simple question?

No, mate, is misdirection and a blame game. Sterling wasn’t bad tonight and they all struggled to make a real impact against a packed defence. Just one of those things.

Not meaning to get into any dispute, we’ve just lost and do we now blame Foden? No, we don’t, and I see it as Pep playing a second team in order to get some confidence into them, proved by the team he set out.

Played quite well against a club doing very well. Not up to the first team standard, but positives to take for individual players.


For someone on a reported £300k a week, trots around thinking he's world class is not good enough. It's been almost two years since his bad form, he just doesn't bring enough to the table, he's not a game changer, brings nothing to the table. We are paying him top dollar so yes we are entitled to expect more. I can put up with him being shit if had that ability to turn a game around with a moment of magic, you know very well he doesn't have that in his locker. Beefy, I think it's only you seem to give him a free pass, I'm not saying you should lay into him, I just don't see the logic behind it, you know very well he isn't going to turn it around, he isn't an out of form Aguero.

I’m not sure where this free pass comes from, mate. I’ve said for a number of months that Sterling is way out of form and is definitely not first choice as in previous seasons. I’ve also said that I don’t understand where this ‘He’s been shit for 2 years’ has come from and also said I’m willing to discuss this with anybody who wants to show me the evidence. But, as always, there’s no real response and it’s then it’s regurgitated so must be true.

For clarity, and from my perspective, Sterling’s real drop in form occurred after the World Cup qualifiers in around February this year. Yes, there were certain periods where he missed a goal or two but in the whole, he wasn’t too bad and we were still winning games. Although he is being vilified by some, I can only go off what my eyes see and, when questioned, I will do a little research and try and back that up with facts. If the facts prove me wrong then I accept that my view maybe wrong. In this case, the facts absolutely back up what I’ve seen.

If I thought that he’d been shite for 2 full years then I’d be happy to say goodbye, and even if he was doing superb but wanted to leave, I’d still be the same as he obviously didn’t want to be with us. I’d be the same for any other player, manager or club member, but what I won’t do is get into this vilification of a City player because he upset someone’s afternoon by missing a shot or miscontrolling a ball.

In short, happy for people to complain but don’t expect us all to go full guns just to follow the crowd. Let’s face it, if we did then every player we had/have would be out the door. Our superstar, Kev, has been shite for a while, Mahrez has always been in the view of many, Walker has had it full barrel, mainly due to Neville and Keene’s Rag views of him, and even Sergio was a lost cause to a few with his injuries and poor form on occasion. What’s next, Phil misses another penalty or fails to pass for a goal in an important game?

All I know is that these/those players have given me the best years of my City supporting life and when they have a bad spell I’ll treat it just as that, and when they move on I’ll thank them for their service. It’s as simple as that and fuck all to do with how much somebody is paid.
Last edited by Beefymcfc on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
User avatar
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 42061
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 am
Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:38 pm

And, Carl, you still haven’t got a clue ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
User avatar
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 42061
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 am
Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby stupot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:09 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:Kev's had a few poor games by his standards after 2 bad injuries but still does loads of positives such as the goal at Liverpool, the goal against Burnley, the superb assist for Walker in Belgium.
Bernardo has been brilliant this season, back to how he was in 18/19 but he had 2 very average seasons in between.
Kev's PFA Player of the year 2 years running for a reason


We can’t focus on the past though mate, it’s about what they’re doing now, this season.
But your point is that players will have ups and downs and at some point Kev will not only have games where he’s playing okay, like you point out he is now, but he’ll be back to being brilliant and at KDB level. And I agree.


What I don't get is the "average" part about last season. Agree 19/20 was wank, piss poor after that Mendy incident. I think there was a lot of social media abuse he got, plus he felt it was wrong what happened to him.
But last year he was on fire for the majority of the season. Crucial with Villa and Everton to keep our run going. He and Gundo played excellent when Kevin was out but when Kevin came back, he looked again lost.
This season it looks like he finally is working with anyone besides him.
I think also Pep changed his position. He plays more centrally than wide IMHO. Like Merlin did.

I think he was bang average last season. Those 2 games you mentioned were the only ones he was on fire unlike Gundo who was on fire with and without Kevin. This season like you say he is working well with everyone.
stupot
Tevez's Golfing Holiday
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:23 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby Simister » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 pm

PeterParker wrote:I am frustrated by this, to be honest.

Not because we lost, but because we lost in this competition. I really wanted for us to win it this year also and set the new record for 5 consecutive wins.

All in all that is a pot we missed. The second so far this season, after the Shield.
There is a chance we might end up with nothing in June when it all ends.
Forgot how that feels.


Agree with this.
The only other team to do 4 in a row were the mickeys. 5 would never be beaten.
Simister
Horlock's Aggressive Walk
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:36 pm
Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: SWP

Re: ***City v West Ham (A) Carabao Cup| Match Thread***

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:52 am

Beefymcfc wrote:And, Carl, you still haven’t got a clue ;-)


Coming from you , I’ll take that line with a pinch of salt .
Most City fans think Sterling has been shit for a lot longer than your “few months “ so maybe we all don’t have a clue apart from you ??!

Hilarious .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 28124
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Supporter of: Man City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Burt, CTID Hants, Google [Bot], harveytravis, HBlock Cripple, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mase, nottsblue, Scatman and 50 guests