The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 am

He's definitely scored against the dippers. I think he scored at anfield last season and in the community shields?
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:29 am

He got the penalty at Anfield that I think Gundo missed.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby stupot » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:38 am

He scored there in the 4-1 last season
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:23 pm

nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dimples » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:50 pm

In the really big games, small margins between winning or losing, you need clinical finishing.
Sterling cannot be relied on to finish and that lack of clinical finishing has cost us in the past.

For me, that is reason enough to let Sterling move elsewhere.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:https://www.skysports.com/share/12641163

Interesting reading

It really isn't. You just have to watch him in a match. It is not just the criminal misses. He constantly fucks up promising attacks, he cant interlink with the other players at the same speed as he doesn't have the technical skill. He runs down blind alleys that he cant get out of. He has started losing the ball and setting the other team up on counter attacks and not chasing back (I think this is where Pep knew he was done). Other teams no longer fear him and dont double up on him anymore so he has lost that fear factor, which Mahrez still has.

Whenever Sterling starts, our whole team looks like a bunch of strangers who never played together before and everything goes to shite, passing, positioning etc. I think he effects the way we prepare for a game. I always said, we will never win the CL with him in the squad. Nowhere near good enough.

You would question Bates point of the article.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:35 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:

Interesting reading

It really isn't. You just have to watch him in a match. It is not just the criminal misses. He constantly fucks up promising attacks, he cant interlink with the other players at the same speed as he doesn't have the technical skill. He runs down blind alleys that he cant get out of. He has started losing the ball and setting the other team up on counter attacks and not chasing back (I think this is where Pep knew he was done). Other teams no longer fear him and dont double up on him anymore so he has lost that fear factor, which Mahrez still has.

Whenever Sterling starts, our whole team looks like a bunch of strangers who never played together before and everything goes to shite, passing, positioning etc. I think he effects the way we prepare for a game. I always said, we will never win the CL with him in the squad. Nowhere near good enough.

You're the lad that was on his case since he joined weren't you?

Every time he's started, the team look like strangers?

That's right up there with when you said his goals off the woodwork didn't really count as they were near misses.

Ffs lad, appreciate the immense contribution he's made (only second to Sergio since pep took over in the goal scoring charts, I believe?) and make a case for why it might be now time for him to leave as opposed to totally exaggerating his entire city career.
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:30 pm

Original Dub wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:

Interesting reading

Whenever Sterling starts, our whole team looks like a bunch of strangers who never played together before and everything goes t⁷o shite, passing, positioning etc. I think he effects the way we prepare for a game. I always said, we will never win the CL with him in the squad. Nowhere near good enough.

You're the lad that was on his case since he joined weren't you?

Every time he's started, the team look like strangers?

That's right up there with when you said his goals off the woodwork didn't really count as they were near misses.

Ffs lad, appreciate the immense contribution he's made (only second to Sergio since pep took over in the goal scoring charts, I believe?) and make a case for why it might be now time for him to leave as opposed to totally exaggerating his entire city career.

I think the exaggeration might be saying goals of the woodwork didnt count. I dont remember the who we were playing but I do remember the goal. It was a champions league match and I was critical of his finish. He had an empty net from about 10 yards and it went in of the underside of the bar.

You are right, I never rated him. Going back to his liverpool days, he was the same. Had a shocking miss when playing us. Free sliding in at the back post.

Look at the CL final, everyone went to shit. Happened in the run in to the end of this season too. Whenever he started, we looked clueless. He was unmarked at times and still couldn't influence a game.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm

Dimples wrote:In the really big games, small margins between winning or losing, you need clinical finishing.
Sterling cannot be relied on to finish and that lack of clinical finishing has cost us in the past.

correct, sterling and jesus leaving in the same window are things that dreams are made of!
anyone with eyes will think the same.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Dimples wrote:In the really big games, small margins between winning or losing, you need clinical finishing.

correct, sterling and jesus leaving in the same window are things that dreams are made of!

Agreed and you don't even need clinical finishing just competent finishing
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

Not sure of it being a dream come true.

In fact, they both contributed so much in helping dreams I had actually come true..

In saying that, I've already said numerous times I think it's time raz moved on and I'd be delighted if Jesus had have stayed as a squad member but he's too good for that.

Bitter sweet moment for me, rather than thinking good riddance
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 pm

Love the guy, what has he won since joining?

Even better, he completely fucked off the Scouse pricks, so all good in my book.

If he’s off, he’s off, that’s the nature of the game.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dimples » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Not sure of it being a dream come true.

In fact, they both contributed so much in helping dreams I had actually come true..

In saying that, I've already said numerous times I think it's time raz moved on and I'd be delighted if Jesus had have stayed as a squad member but he's too good for that.

Bitter sweet moment for me, rather than thinking good riddance

The reason I would like Sterling to move on is because of his appalling track record of missing golden chances in big games.
But there is also the fact that during the eighteen months up to the CL final against Chelsea, he did not try a leg for us. He was dreadful.
Then he played the CL final, did nothing, went to the Euros and was mint - wtf?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:32 pm

Totally agree with the above.

Absolute joke that he started the champs league final.

Pep's greatest ever brainfart.
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:01 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:It really isn't. You just have to watch him in a match. It is not just the criminal misses. He constantly fucks up promising attacks, he cant interlink with the other players at the same speed as he doesn't have the technical skill. He runs down blind alleys that he cant get out of. He has started losing the ball and setting the other team up on counter attacks and not chasing back (I think this is where Pep knew he was done). Other teams no longer fear him and dont double up on him anymore so he has lost that fear factor, which Mahrez still has.

The dipper force is strong in this one.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:06 am

Original Dub wrote:Totally agree with the above.

Absolute joke that he started the champs league final.

Pep's greatest ever brainfart.

jesus and sterling are the main the finishing thread exists
haaland and alvarez will put it to bed
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Outcast » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 am

It's simple, we can't keep them all, so we had to choose either Alvarez and Haaland or Sterling and Jesus.

The latter won't cut it in big matches especially latter stages of champions League. New approach is the way forward.

Wish them all well but it's time to move on.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:52 pm

raheem to form a front three with.........

neymar and ronaldo!!?!!?!??!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:raheem to form a front three with.........

Wheres that then loll
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dimples » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Nick wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:raheem to form a front three with.........

Wheres that then loll

That would be a backward step for Raheem....and I am not even joking
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum