Farewell Gabby

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Farewell Gabby

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 am

Dimples wrote:100% commitment in every game, never caused trouble, team player. Hope things work out for him.

Re goal scoring. Eye test only. I have not looked at stats.
We are consistently top PL scorers because we create more goal chances than any other team despite not converting a lot of those chances.
Logically then, Haaland and Alvarez should score a lot more goals than any City player did in the previous two seasons (more clinical finishers than Gab & Co.) and Gab should score less than he did the previous two seasons (Arsenal will create less chances than he had at City). Obviously, their totals for goals scored will need to be adjusted for minutes played.
It also means that we should win more 'tight' games, because out goal conversion rate should improve.
It will be interesting to see how the narrative plays out.

Gab scored 8 Prem goals this season and 4 of them were in one match. If he gets less than 8 goals for Arsenal as their “main man” they’ve wasted their money.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby stupot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 am

Mase wrote:
Dimples wrote:100% commitment in every game, never caused trouble, team player. Hope things work out for him.

We are consistently top PL scorers because we create more goal chances than any other team despite not converting a lot of those chances.
Logically then, Haaland and Alvarez should score a lot more goals than any City player did in the previous two seasons (more clinical finishers than Gab & Co.) and Gab should score less than he did the previous two seasons (Arsenal will create less chances than he had at City). Obviously, their totals for goals scored will need to be adjusted for minutes played.
It also means that we should win more 'tight' games, because out goal conversion rate should improve.

Gab scored 8 Prem goals this season and 4 of them were in one match. If he gets less than 8 goals for Arsenal as their “main man” they’ve wasted their money.
He mainly played wide for us and got nowhere near as many minutes as you'd expect him to get there. I don't think he'll be anywhere near challenging Haaland for Golden Boot but I'd expect him to get double figures- hopefully including his usual goals against the dippers.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:25 am

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

He mainly played wide for us and got nowhere near as many minutes as you'd expect him to get there. I don't think he'll be anywhere near challenging Haaland for Golden Boot but I'd expect him to get double figures- hopefully including his usual goals against the dippers.

Sterling played wide and got more goals. It’s doable. He’s going to Arsenal to be the main man up front. So like I say, if he scores less than 8 goals it’s not great.
Last edited by Mase on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:04 am

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

Sterling played wide and got more goals. It’s doable. He’s not going to Arsenal to be the main man up front. So like I say, if he scores less than 8 goals it’s not great.

if arsenal spend north of £100m on gab and raphina they are nuts. both decent players but will not score create more than 25 goals between them. should be spending their money bolstering other parts of their squad imo
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby stupot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:16 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

Sterling played wide and got more goals. It’s doable. He’s not going to Arsenal to be the main man up front. So like I say, if he scores less than 8 goals it’s not great.

if arsenal spend north of £100m on gab and raphina they are nuts. both decent players but will not score create more than 25 goals between them. should be spending their money bolstering other parts of their squad imo

They didn't have many double figure goals/assist players last season. If those 2 get over 20 and they go up one position they're in the CL. 100ml would be a bargain.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:27 am

I'm sort of wondering if our sales outstrip our purchases, will Tebas the Hutt withdraw his 'complaint' about us spending too much?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:40 am

john@staustell wrote:I'm sort of wondering if our sales outstrip our purchases, will Tebas the Hutt withdraw his 'complaint' about us spending too much?

I doubt it John. The slug's complaints against us are well timed to hit the headlines to hide themess that he is presiding over in Spain. While thatmmess remains, we will always be his target to deflect the media scrutiny away.

Think Hutt is far too polite a term for him, personally I go for Slug.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:42 am

stupot wrote:They didn't have many double figure goals/assist players last season. If those 2 get over 20 and they go up one position they're in the CL. 100ml would be a bargain.

Spending £100m to go up one position is a bargain?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:32 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:They didn't have many double figure goals/assist players last season. If those 2 get over 20 and they go up one position they're in the CL. 100ml would be a bargain.

That 1 position is worth millions.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:00 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

You don’t get £100m per season from playing in the CL.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

2.2 million...in my world spending 100 million to lose 97.8 million just doesnt compute.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby stupot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

No but you get a few million and the further you get the more you get. TV money, increased sponsorship deals. It's a cash cow which is why the rags are crying their eyes out not being involved. Why did we buy Grealish - we were already Champions. If you stop you get left behind.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:34 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

on top of jesus and raphinia, they signed that vierra lad for £30 odd million, given nketiah a new £100k/week contract which is more than smith-rowe and saka combined so expect some issues there..... they've then martinelli and odegaard.
feels as though they are investing in all the wrong areas...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

No but you get a few million and the further you get the more you get. TV money, increased sponsorship deals. It's a cash cow which is why the rags are crying their eyes out not being involved. Why did we buy Grealish - we were already Champions. If you stop you get left behind.

You get 20-odd million for winning the CL. And even then, Arsenal will come nowhere near winning it. The CL isn’t a cash cow. Being able to attract players because you’re in the CL is why teams need it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:08 pm

You should also factor in the associated benefits such as sponsorships and additional merchandise revenue that the CL brings
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:31 pm

Wooders wrote:You should also factor in the associated benefits such as sponsorships and additional merchandise revenue that the CL brings

It’s minimal. You can’t renegotiate your current sponsors because you’ve made the CL. Just like if we missed out on it one season Etihad or Nexen couldn’t just say “we’re going to give you less”, unless we were at a period of renegotiation.

The boards around the pitch - yes. But it’s not much in the grand scheme of things when you’re talking about £100m on two players.

Edit: So if you get to the final there’s a chance you’d get around €80m in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carolina-blue » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Gonna miss em both tbh , as frustrating as Sterling can be never an ounce of trouble Got shit loads from scouse cunts and their media hacks and played through it all , Gabby great player gives it all every game love the guy wish em both well
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm

On the subject of CL, if you buy a player for a high price and they win it for you, ala Havertz, then 100% it’s worth it even if they have an overall crap season like he did.

Gab or Raphina aren’t scoring the winning goal for Arsenal in the CL final at any point in the careers.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:30 am

carolina-blue wrote:Gonna miss em both tbh , as frustrating as Sterling can be never an ounce of trouble Got shit loads from scouse cunts and their media hacks and played through it all , Gabby great player gives it all every game love the guy wish em both well

well said pal.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby patrickblue » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:03 pm

carolina-blue wrote:Gonna miss em both tbh , as frustrating as Sterling can be never an ounce of trouble Got shit loads from scouse cunts and their media hacks and played through it all , Gabby great player gives it all every game love the guy wish em both well

I'm really sad to see Gabby go, I really liked him.
Raz has frustrated me too much over the last couple of seasons for me to feel the same way,
Like you though, I wish them both well.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum