Mancini - Its imperative we finish 4th!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini - Its imperative we finish 4th!

Postby Lee_R » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 pm

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/new ... ace-finish

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini: Fourth place finish is 'imperative'
City must secure fourth place in order to progress says Italian boss
By Alex Richards
16 Apr 2010 16:17:00

Manchester City must finish in the final Champions League spot in order to progress towards becoming the all-conquering force its Abu Dhabi owners want, according to manager Roberto Mancini.

The former Inter coach, who took over from Mark Hughes at Eastlands in December, has taken the blue half of Manchester to within touching distance of a top-four finish.

City have five games left to guarantee that they take fourth spot, with Tottenham their only remaining challengers for the final Champions League spot.

And Mancini believes that although his side are in pole position, they must pick up points in each of their remaining games, starting at home against bitter rivals United.

Mancini told reporters: "These are important games. The last month of the season will be fantastic for us.

"After Saturday we have four games left and they are going to be the most important in the history of the club."

"It is imperative we finish in fourth because we can change the way we are going.

"It would put us in the Champions League next year and that would make it easier to get the players we want."

The City boss also believes that his side's Argentine forward Carlos Tevez should be looked upon as one of the best players in the world, following his recent run of scintillating form.

"I think Carlos is a top striker," continued Mancini.

"Messi, for me, is on the top, but at the moment Messi, Tevez and Rooney are the top players in the world."
-

Sounds like confirmation we want to bring in some of the big big players :)
Sorry if this has been done btw, just enjoyed the read.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Re: Mancini - Its imperative we finish 4th!

Postby mr_nool » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Of course it's fucking imperative! Despite him getting the boot if we fail, we can't be happy with anything less with being in fourth with only five games to go.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

would anyone settle for fifth if they got a daily blowjob from this as well for the entire season next year? Ms Olivia Dunham...err Anna Torv from Fringe. I wouldn't but i'm curious if any of you would?

viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby mr_nool » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:would anyone settle for fifth if they got a daily blowjob from this as well for the entire season next year? Ms Olivia Dunham...err Anna Torv from Fringe. I wouldn't but i'm curious if any of you would?

NO!
But then again, I only have to turn off the computer, walk downstairs, pull out the plug of the tv, and I will get that from the missus.

And if she keeps colouring her hair, i can imagine that it is different girl (with fabulous boobies) doing it every 3-4 week.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 pm

"It would put us in the Champions League next year and that would make it easier to get the players we want."

if this was taken from the interview on the OS then i dont think that is quite what he said, in fact he avoided saying he was looking at bringing in players on a couple of occasions. I think this article is mis-reporting what he said.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm

mr_nool wrote:

Of course it's fucking imperative! Despite him getting the boot if we fail, we can't be happy with anything less with being in fourth with only five games to go.

He obviously wants his job next season. Would City really sack him if he misses 5th by 1 point?

We've still got Europa next season - but I'd have finished outside the Top 5 this season in exchange for the Carling Cup. Fucking Portsmouth are in the Final of the other Pot!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby mr_nool » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 pm

btajim wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

He obviously wants his job next season. Would City really sack him if he misses 5th by 1 point?

We've still got Europa next season - but I'd have finished outside the Top 5 this season in exchange for the Carling Cup. Fucking Portsmouth are in the Final of the other Pot!

I seriously have no clue how our owners would handle it if we finish outside the top four. All I know is that a 4th spot was very clearly stated as a revised target when we got rid of Hughes.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Lee_R » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:28 pm

btajim wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Securing a CL position is much more important than winning the Carling cup. I know were desperate for silverware but its important that the club get into the CL as soon as possible. The Carling cup can be won by any team playing decent on the day but it doesnt secure top players and status for the future and the cash isnt that great. For the amount of money we have spent we should definately be aiming to get into the top 4 rather than win the Carling cup.. both would of been nice though of course ;)
Lee_R

Postby btajim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Lee_R wrote:Securing a CL position is much more important than winning the Carling cup. I know were desperate for silverware but its important that the club get into the CL as soon as possible. The Carling cup can be won by any team playing decent on the day but it doesnt secure top players and status for the future and the cash isnt that great. For the amount of money we have spent we should definately be aiming to get into the top 4 rather than win the Carling cup.. both would of been nice though of course ;)

You don't fancy a day out to Wembley and lifting a Trophy at the end? I know I do! The Carling Cup is won by a side playing decent throughout the entire competition. We did make the Semis this time. City might scrape the last CL slot by a point or so and I honestly think I'd favour lifting a Trophy at Wembley. As a one off, though! CL all the way.

5th won't be a disaster - but if they let Hughes go despite City being in 6th and then sack Mancini for missing his target by one place then they've got some explaining to do.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Lee_R » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:57 pm

btajim wrote:
Lee_R wrote:Securing a CL position is much more important than winning the Carling cup. I know were desperate for silverware but its important that the club get into the CL as soon as possible. The Carling cup can be won by any team playing decent on the day but it doesnt secure top players and status for the future and the cash isnt that great. For the amount of money we have spent we should definately be aiming to get into the top 4 rather than win the Carling cup.. both would of been nice though of course ;)

You don't fancy a day out to Wembley and lifting a Trophy at the end? I know I do! The Carling Cup is won by a side playing decent throughout the entire competition. We did make the Semis this time. City might scrape the last CL slot by a point or so and I honestly think I'd favour lifting a Trophy at Wembley. As a one off, though! CL all the way.

5th won't be a disaster - but if they let Hughes go despite City being in 6th and then sack Mancini for missing his target by one place then they've got some explaining to do.

I know what you mean.. but seriously, we can just lift more trophies next year and that will be a result of us being able to attract the best quality players due to being the champions league.. not long now mate.. its definately going to be worth the wait :D
I do agree about the Hughes situation, however I dont think we would have been as close to finishing in 4th as we are now if Mancini hadnt of come in. Thats just an opinion of course.
Lee_R

Postby btajim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Lee_R wrote:I know what you mean.. but seriously, we can just lift more trophies next year and that will be a result of us being able to attract the best quality players due to being the champions league.. not long now mate.. its definately going to be worth the wait :D
I do agree about the Hughes situation, however I dont think we would of been as close to finishing in 4th as we are now if Mancini hadnt of come in. Thats just an opinion of course.

I still think I'd have preferred lifting the Carling Cup having put Arsenal and Man Ure out along the way than scraping CL and not getting past the Group stages next season.

Hughes' target was never 4th this season. It was 6th. Chances are, Mancini was tapped up after the 1-1 draw at Home to Hull and he said he could manage 4th. Targets are agreed between Employee and Employer.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm

btajim wrote:
Lee_R wrote:I know what you mean.. but seriously, we can just lift more trophies next year and that will be a result of us being able to attract the best quality players due to being the champions league.. not long now mate.. its definately going to be worth the wait :D
I do agree about the Hughes situation, however I dont think we would of been as close to finishing in 4th as we are now if Mancini hadnt of come in. Thats just an opinion of course.

I still think I'd have preferred lifting the Carling Cup having put Arsenal and Man Ure out along the way than scraping CL and not getting past the Group stages next season.

Hughes' target was never 4th this season. It was 6th. Chances are, Mancini was tapped up after the 1-1 draw at Home to Hull and he said he could manage 4th. Targets are agreed between Employee and Employer.

Wasn't the revised target before the start of the season agreed at 70 points by Hughes and the board? I thought this came out after the sacking, and we were told the justification for the change in target was the extra investment put in during the summer - albeit this news hadn't been made public at the time, presumably so as not to increase the public pressure on the manager and the team even more.

If so, 26 points from 16 games (and 1 win in 10) by the time the decision was made to sack Hughes (that is, after the Spurs game, even though the decision wasn't articulated to him until after the following game) didn't suggest, in my view, that he was going to achieve the target. Just my opinion though.
Montgomery Burns
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Return to The Maine Football forum