Extra Europa Berth...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Extra Europa Berth...

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Surprised I haven't seen anything in the media about this yet, but England has been awarded an extra place in the Europa League for finishing 2nd in the UEFA Fair Play ranking.

Does anyone know who's in the running for this?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: Extra Europa Berth...

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu May 21, 2015 4:53 pm

I believe it's been mentioned elsewhere. If West Ham don't run amok in the last match, they will have the honour of getting their shit fucked up by the universally beloved Europa League next season (to paraphrase Ashley Williams).
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 21, 2015 5:06 pm

it's quite sad actually. Surely will fuck their season up to no end, as you say.

a poisoned chalice, etc

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu May 21, 2015 5:25 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:Surprised I haven't seen anything in the media about this yet, but England has been awarded an extra place in the Europa League for finishing 2nd in the UEFA Fair Play ranking.

Everton and West Ham
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 pm

The first I heard of it was this article last week

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... et-5699323
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:Surprised I haven't seen anything in the media about this yet, but England has been awarded an extra place in the Europa League for finishing 2nd in the UEFA Fair Play ranking.

Everton and West Ham

it's West Ham's to lose. Unless they fucking get a red card this weekend i believe. Only way they could blow it.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Could they give it to the rags if they fuck up their qualifier?

Be a nice present for them
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 am

I called it out here viewtopic.php?f=119&t=50155

Shame its this season and not next for the hammers with the Olympic Stadium move, it would be a good time for them.
Also I can already hear the press next season as BFS wont be there (if rumours are true) and they will obviously have some league troubles as they try and compete in Europe too! It will be SAM the saviour, they didn't realise what they had, Bring Sam back yadayadayada
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 am

We will have 4 teams in Europe League Competition next season, that means a lot of sunday football for almost half of the league? I can see some sundays having 6 games (Super Sunday) but with Friday nights and Monday nights, we could have a scenario with no 3pm game on a saturday as the TV people want their pound of flesh with Sat 12:30 and 5:30 kick offs.
Wonderwall

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri May 22, 2015 8:29 am

I'd love to see an English club win the Europa. I find it sad that cup glory is sacrificed in favour of a higher position in the PL, I'd much rather have something to show for my efforts rather than a few extra million in the bank for finishing a couple of places higher in the league.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Fri May 22, 2015 8:32 am

Its a shame that a competition that used to be a good one has now become shit under the shoe. I can see a return to the old two leg knockout format and binning of the group stage. Maybe increase prize money or put both finalists into the next seasons CL. Something has to change, the competition is bloated.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 8:37 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:Its a shame that a competition that used to be a good one has now become shit under the shoe. I can see a return to the old two leg knockout format and binning of the group stage. Maybe increase prize money or put both finalists into the next seasons CL. Something has to change, the competition is bloated.

I would love to return to the OLD format

European Cup
UeFA Cup
Cup Winners Cup

All KO from the first round and no fucking seedings
Wonderwall

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Fri May 22, 2015 8:44 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:Its a shame that a competition that used to be a good one has now become shit under the shoe. I can see a return to the old two leg knockout format and binning of the group stage. Maybe increase prize money or put both finalists into the next seasons CL. Something has to change, the competition is bloated.

European Cup
UeFA Cup
Cup Winners Cup

Agreed
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

I'd like two parallel competitions, with 96 clubs in, and no qualifiers (which would massively upset the bookies' lobby and therefore never work, I know). The group stages can start slightly earlier to compensate.

'Champions' route - 32 clubs in similar format to CL as it is now. Top 2 in each group go through to CL, bottom 2 to EL.

'Europa' route - 64 clubs in 16 groups of 4. 1st in each group goes to CL, 2nd to EL.

Last 32 for both competitions is 2-legged knock-out.

Each country has at least 1 team in the competition(s) (54 places), with the other 42 places divvied up between the top-ranked leagues.

Member associations have the choice between giving their European berth to the League Champions, or holding a play-off between League and Cup winners for the place.

This would allow more opportunity for 'giant-killing', more countries to be represented in the competition, offset domestic hegemony by clubs, as the six-game in-season drain on resources would allow other clubs to compete, make smaller leagues more appealing to youths who have not made the grade at big clubs, due to an opportunity for exposure in the European game and therefore a chance to re-launch their careers, bring greater amounts of fans (and therefore money) to cities with teams competing, and make the competitions more interesting overall.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

I'd like two parallel competitions, with 96 clubs in, and no qualifiers (which would massively upset the bookies' lobby and therefore never work, I know). The group stages can start slightly earlier to compensate.

'Champions' route - 32 clubs in similar format to CL as it is now. Top 2 in each group go through to CL, bottom 2 to EL.

'Europa' route - 64 clubs in 16 groups of 4. 1st in each group goes to CL, 2nd to EL.

Each country has at least 1 team in the competition(s) (54 places), with the other 42 places divvied up between the top-ranked leagues.

Member associations have the choice between giving their European berth to the League Champions, or holding a play-off between League and Cup winners for the place.

This would allow more opportunity for 'giant-killing', more countries to be represented in the competition, offset domestic hegemony by clubs, as the six-game in-season drain on resources would allow other clubs to compete, make smaller leagues more appealing to youths who have not made the grade at big clubs, due to an opportunity for exposure in the European game and therefore a chance to re-launch their careers, bring greater amounts of fans (and therefore money) to cities with teams competing, and make the competitions more interesting overall.

so what you are saying is very similar to the new youth league format

Wonderwall

Postby Slim » Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 am

Wonderwall wrote:We will have 4 teams in Europe League Competition next season, that means a lot of sunday football for almost half of the league? I can see some sundays having 6 games (Super Sunday) but with Friday nights and Monday nights, we could have a scenario with no 3pm game on a saturday as the TV people want their pound of flesh with Sat 12:30 and 5:30 kick offs.

Five if Arsenal get 3rd sorted.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 9:27 am

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:We will have 4 teams in Europe League Competition next season, that means a lot of sunday football for almost half of the league? I can see some sundays having 6 games (Super Sunday) but with Friday nights and Monday nights, we could have a scenario with no 3pm game on a saturday as the TV people want their pound of flesh with Sat 12:30 and 5:30 kick offs.

Five if Arsenal get 3rd sorted.

ha ha ha, I had not even contemplated that Bro. Nice!
Wonderwall

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri May 22, 2015 9:34 am

Wonderwall wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

so what you are saying is very similar to the new youth league format

In some ways, yes, but I'd keep the two cups, and have clubs from ALL UEFA members involved
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 am

Wonderwall wrote:

European Cup
UeFA Cup
Cup Winners Cup

That could never happen.

It's a far too sensible suggestion, as well as being far too unprestigious for the Fat Frenchman and his mob of egomaniacal cronies at EUFA.

It's also far too exciting and unpredictable.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Dunnylad » Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I'd love to see an English club win the Europa. I find it sad that cup glory is sacrificed in favour of a higher position in the PL, I'd much rather have something to show for my efforts rather than a few extra million in the bank for finishing a couple of places higher in the league.

Sad indictment of the game that money is more important than winning something. As a player I'd rather show my medals of what I'd won as there's a finite number of trophies one can win over an entire career
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum