Ref Watch

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ref Watch

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Martin Samuel of the DM recently wrote about UEFA's dirty attempts to cover up all their mistakes, that nearly cost City this recent Champions League match, against Borussia M.
Here's the relevant portion:

"Just another Platini cover-up
UEFA slipped the news out, quietly, on Thursday night. Martin Demichelis, not Nicolas Otamendi, had scored Manchester City's first goal against Borussia Monchengladbach.
It seems a mere detail, an irrelevance to all but long-shot gamblers, fantasy football obsessives and anoraks. Actually, it encapsulates the official and administrative incompetence at the top of the modern game. How can Demichelis have scored City's goal when the referee, Clement Turpin of France, did not give it?

Had Otamendi not possessed the presence of mind to keep playing rather than surrounding the officials in protest like many of his team-mates, the score would have remained Borussia Monchengladbach 1, Manchester City 0.

Now consider the wider implications here. We are always told that retrospective action is impossible in football, that we cannot re-referee the game. It does not matter that the television audience knows within seconds that a tackle deserved a red card. It does not matter if bones are broken, or the course of the match is altered. If the referee has seen the incident, and dealt with it — no matter how inadequately — further rulings are not permitted. Now this. Turpin most certainly saw Demichelis' attempt at goal. He dealt with it, too, by not giving it.

Yet on this occasion, UEFA have no qualms about altering the facts of the match. They are pretending the officials were competent — and all to protect the reputation, such that exists, of president Michel Platini.

His pitch as a FIFA reformer in tatters, Financial Fair Play fallen at the first legal hurdle, all that remains for Platini's dwindling fan club is his standing as a purveyor of big ideas. And one of his biggest is additional assistant referees — the two men that stand at each end of the pitch, on the by-line, to aid the main official. Except they don't. They fail, just as he does, because they are human, too. And the solution to human error has never been extra humans."

The rest of this relevant feature is here, but mixed in with other topics:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3npmX66GG

And there it is, in a nutshell.
Original Dub

Postby gillie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 am

Original Dub wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Martin Samuel of the DM recently wrote about UEFA's dirty attempts to cover up all their mistakes, that nearly cost City this recent Champions League match, against Borussia M.

UEFA slipped the news out, quietly, on Thursday night. Martin Demichelis, not Nicolas Otamendi, had scored Manchester City's first goal against Borussia Monchengladbach.
It seems a mere detail, an irrelevance to all but long-shot gamblers, fantasy football obsessives and anoraks. Actually, it encapsulates the official and administrative incompetence at the top of the modern game. How can Demichelis have scored City's goal when the referee, Clement Turpin of France, did not give it?

Had Otamendi not possessed the presence of mind to keep playing rather than surrounding the officials in protest like many of his team-mates, the score would have remained Borussia Monchengladbach 1, Manchester City 0.

Now consider the wider implications here. We are always told that retrospective action is impossible in football, that we cannot re-referee the game. It does not matter that the television audience knows within seconds that a tackle deserved a red card. It does not matter if bones are broken, or the course of the match is altered. If the referee has seen the incident, and dealt with it — no matter how inadequately — further rulings are not permitted. Now this. Turpin most certainly saw Demichelis' attempt at goal. He dealt with it, too, by not giving it.

Yet on this occasion, UEFA have no qualms about altering the facts of the match. They are pretending the officials were competent — and all to protect the reputation, such that exists, of president Michel Platini.

His pitch as a FIFA reformer in tatters, Financial Fair Play fallen at the first legal hurdle, all that remains for Platini's dwindling fan club is his standing as a purveyor of big ideas. And one of his biggest is additional assistant referees — the two men that stand at each end of the pitch, on the by-line, to aid the main official. Except they don't. They fail, just as he does, because they are human, too. And the solution to human error has never been extra humans."

I think we all know Samuel is infering that the ref and his mates may just have been told to make sure we did'nt win but the tv cameras showed them up for being outright cheats.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby gillie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:28 am

I have been thinking long and hard about the level of officiating we have recieved this season and I must say that if I was in charge of the club I would have probably been fined by the FA.I would have to come out and make a statement about the Spurs game as that was tantamount to cheating the officiating was that bad.

The ref for the West Ham game Robert Maddley was so bad it was embarrassing and then we had the jokers in the CL,also some of the line calls against the Geordies were poor.Now I'm not saying there is an agenda or anything but so many poor officiating groups make me think something is very much amiss.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 am

gillie wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I think we all know Samuel is infering that the ref and his mates may just have been told to make sure we did'nt win but the tv cameras showed them up for being outright cheats.

I can't believe Samuel is the only one to call them out on it!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:54 am

gillie wrote:I have been thinking long and hard about the level of officiating we have recieved this season and I must say that if I was in charge of the club I would have probably been fined by the FA.I would have to come out and make a statement about the Spurs game as that was tantamount to cheating the officiating was that bad.

The ref for the West Ham game Robert Maddley was so bad it was embarrassing and then we had the jokers in the CL,also some of the line calls against the Geordies were poor.Now I'm not saying there is an agenda or anything but so many poor officiating groups make me think something is very much amiss.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the club did complain about them incidents at Spurs behind closed doors. The two linos weren't given a Prem game last weekend after their performance. It just strikes me that if the club did have an issue they wouldn't use the media to air their grievance, they'd go through the proper channels.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby dazby » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 am

We'd be stuffed without him. Samuels that is.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:48 pm

dazby wrote:We'd be stuffed without him. Samuels that is.

Yes, despite the fact that Martin Samuels actually supports a different team than ours, he has consistently fought against Financial "Fair" Play; lack of goal line technology in CL matches; and all the FIFA/UEFA corruption, that has hurt City and football, in general.

Thankfully, there is a growing outcry from other journalists & football watchers, who want FIFA & UEFA to be completely cleared out & new officials elected. Otherwise, I'm not sure the Demichelis goal vs Borussia MGB, would have ever been corrected.

After Ospina's mistakes for Arsenal, UEFA have now changed the rules again, regarding the extra officials... The goal line official can now use their arms & hands to signal a goal, rather than just microphone alerts!... I could have also posted this comment under the reasons to fire Platini thread!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... hange.html
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Mike Dean ref for Bournemouth.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby gillie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:26 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Mike Dean ref for Bournemouth.

Well he has been piss poor this season imo.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 am

As Mr Michael Oliver is not involved in any games at the weekend I will bet he is the ref for the derby so we have no chance of getting a pen even if it's a nailed on cert.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:33 am

gillie wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Mike Dean ref for Bournemouth.

Well he has been piss poor this season imo.

Piss poor for a few, to be fair. This season he's plumbed the depths.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:43 am

gillie wrote:As Mr Michael Oliver is not involved in any games at the weekend I will bet he is the ref for the derby so we have no chance of getting a pen even if it's a nailed on cert.

he will get the rags game.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby gillie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:52 am

Hazy2 wrote:
gillie wrote:As Mr Michael Oliver is not involved in any games at the weekend I will bet he is the ref for the derby so we have no chance of getting a pen even if it's a nailed on cert.

Exactly and when/if he does the agenda will be there for us all to see imo.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

gillie wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Samuels is inferring nothing of the sort, he is simply saying that Platini's 'big idea' to have additional officials on the pitch failed as the goal wasn't awarded for Demichelis' attempt, and that it is the incompetence/futility of having additional humans to adjudicate that is being covered up. In all honesty, when you look at the goal, the referee couldn't realistically have given it from where he was stood, and the other assistant ref was badly positioned as it's possible he was unsighted by the player on the near post. A bad decision, but one that can be understood.

Where you get the inference from that article that there may be a specific plot to make sure City don't win is beyond me. Had that been the case, he could have just not given the penalty.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Guy Debord » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:40 am

gillie wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:44 am

Guy Debord wrote:
gillie wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

good to see btajim is alive and well
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby rosbif cuisson 'bleu' » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:20 pm

his cat looks WELL fucked off though......
rosbif cuisson 'bleu'
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: colin bell

Postby phips » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:51 am

whoa whoa.

I thought the refs were told by the FA to screw over City? i thought i saw Oliver give a soft penalty to City...AND he didnt give a BLATANT handball on Aguero that lead to his goal. could Oliver be sacked before next weekend's matches?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 am

phips wrote:whoa whoa.

I thought the refs were told by the FA to screw over City? i thought i saw Oliver give a soft penalty to City...AND he didnt give a BLATANT handball on Aguero that lead to his goal. could Oliver be sacked before next weekend's matches?

We win 5-0 and you pollute three threads with this negative bullshit including bringing one back from the dead. Can't you take its spot then?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby aaron bond » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:19 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
phips wrote:whoa whoa.

We win 5-0 and you pollute three threads with this negative bullshit including bringing one back from the dead. Can't you take its spot then?

Seriously Phips - I personally am not really interested in the whole 'conspiracy against City' talk which is often on the board but it's generally contained in a few threads so I don't really get involved in those discussions.

But you've re-opened this thread purely to antagonise people. If you're not interested in discussions on referees or the media then you can easily avoid it. Everyone can have different views - that's what makes the board interesting and why we keep posting. But here you are solely looking to annoy people. That's very sad.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum