End of an era

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: End of an era

Postby Original Dub » Wed May 04, 2016 11:46 pm

It certainly is the end of an era.

I feel completely ashamed right now.
Maybe not for the same reason as a lot of you. But I'm genuinely gutted for the end of an era.
Original Dub

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu May 05, 2016 1:37 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:Most successful era in my lifetime so far - definitely.
The best though, not for me. I enjoyed Gillingham/Wembley and winning the division 1 under Keegan a lot more than now, mainly because I loved the players at the time.

Half the people you've mentioned in the op I can't stand. I don't particularly like half our players now. Back then I loved them! Not all, there was the odd one or two I didn't like, but I loved most of them.

Not arsed about seeing the back of most of those bar one or two.

You're getting old Mase.

You'll never feel that way about the squad again.

Have a look at the link I posted in the matchday thread, it'll bring you back to the days when you hero worshipped the players.

The only player I've felt that close to since I was a kid is Zaba, and I grew up in the 70s. Times are a-changing.

Me too. But there are a bunch of the kids that could potentially get people believing in the team again. You need players that the fans can believe in.

Good point. If it happens it'll happen under the next guy.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu May 05, 2016 1:58 am

Original Dub wrote:It certainly is the end of an era.

I feel completely ashamed right now.
Maybe not for the same reason as a lot of you. But I'm genuinely gutted for the end of an era.

Care to expand on this? It comes across as you're saying you're ashamed of us or something. The post clearly shows a warmth for the players going so not sure what you mean.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby mr_nool » Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 am

We've waited too long with rebuilding the squad. Even with Pep coming in, I expect a couple of tough, transitional seasons.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Original Dub » Thu May 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes PBL I'll expand.

I know your OP was about the spine of players leaving who have served us well etc. but I thought it was an appropriate thread to post in for what I was thinking last night after reading so much bile on here.

Even after a few years of being rich and the plastic fan coming on board, this board never seemed to waver from knowing you have no given right to win trophies.

There are hundreds of posts right now about how none of the team tried last night. That was after me having to listen to the worst kind of biased commentary ever. I believe it was the Frog and Duck vs Real Madrid.

I say what a fantastic achievement by the Frog and Duck.

It's just that it's confusing a little bit. If no one turned up, how was it so tight over two legs against the most successful European team of all time?
Actually, don't answer that. There is no plausible explanation.

We're a lesser team almost man for man and that might explain why we played a containment game that worked for the most part.
Original Dub

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 am

Original Dub wrote:Yes PBL I'll expand.

I know your OP was about the spine of players leaving who have served us well etc. but I thought it was an appropriate thread to post in for what I was thinking last night after reading so much bile on here.

Even after a few years of being rich and the plastic fan coming on board, this board never seemed to waver from knowing you have no given right to win trophies.

There are hundreds of posts right now about how none of the team tried last night. That was after me having to listen to the worst kind of biased commentary ever. I believe it was the Frog and Duck vs Real Madrid.

It's just that it's confusing a little bit. If no one turned up, how was it so tight over two legs against the most successful European team of all time?

We're a lesser team almost man for man and that might explain why we played a containment game that worked for the most part.

Fair enough.

At the expense of fence sitting, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Over two legs did I expect to bow out. Yep sure did, they're a better squad with more depth imo. When we got to the 2nd half did I want us to be more brave and take some risks, yep sure did.

None of that however changes the fact that I'm sad to see the departure and future departures of the core that won the 2011-2014 trophies.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri May 06, 2016 4:28 am

It will be sad to see certain players go, whenever it happens. But as a club we have been treading water for eighteen months, waiting for Guardiola to arrive. It will be nice when things get back on track again.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri May 06, 2016 6:27 am

If you honestly believe that the players DID turn up for that match then you are off your fuckign rocker mate.
No shot registered over 70 minutes ?

I understand and respect your undying support for Pellegrini and the team but I saw what I saw and what I saw was fuckign SHIT.
My mates went to the match and felt the fuckign same.Bale and other pros cannot understand why we didnt try harder.I could go on about real neutrals opinions but whats the point....you have your stance and I have mine.

Noone that I know of thinks we deserve to WIN every fuckign game, make no mistake on that, but we do expect the players to put in a fuckign shift and for the manager to have a fuckign decent plan............if his plan was to not shoot on goal for 70 fuckjign minutes then hes more clueless than I already think he is.

I dont know how I will handle coming in 5th with the Munchens overtaking us...but obviously you will handle it better than most as you will look at all the past achievments....good for you....me ? Ill be putting bile back on the map again as it will be totally unfucking acceptable on so many fronts.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Crossie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:45 am

I feel like having a couple of young local lads in the first 11, who would obviously have to be good enough and then get even better would give us something we are missing as a club. Outfield wise I think Zabaletta is the player most fans identify with, but he seems to be on a rapid decline. To have a slippery winger and charging centre mid come through the ranks would give us all something to get behind and would be more inspirational than the bottlers we have at the moment.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby gillie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:55 am

Ronan you are wrong about Wednesday night mate at least 3 players did not put 100% effort in and most of the others just are not good enough and haven't been all fuckin season imo.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum