The Curious Case of Jason Denayer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Curious Case of Jason Denayer

Postby PeterParker » Thu May 12, 2016 11:01 am

I think this should have it's own thread and not to be lost in the other one.

As we all know, Jason was a name many wanted this season to be in the squad and we can understand why if we look at the decline of our squad. However, we managed to transform him into a Mesiah, but things might be not that good for us.

Until december, he played 10 games, 5 or 6 were as a right back. instead of a central back. Weird, looking at what defenders Galatasaray had, Donk (30 years), Chedjou (30), but also Semith Kaya (25). Now, in december, Hamza was sacked, and Mustafa Denizli came in, a big name there, but oldschool type of manager, he used something like 3-5-2, who was actually 5-3-2. Nonsense

Since that moment, he played 16 games and scored twice, both goals as a center back. Yes, he was constantly rotated, RB and CB, When he was a RB, his speed and ball control were really impressive, very similar to the season Sagna had and would be a perfect fit for Guardiola. Now, when he was as a CB, he was really shaky and he played with Chedjou, who, to be fair, is a calamity of a footballer. Galatasaray conceided 48 goals this season just in the league, which is one of the worst in Turkey and will finish 7 or 8. Their only chance is the Cup, the final will be against their arch enemy, Fener.

Jason had a Jekyll/Hyde season, but it is not just his fault. Galata is a shithouse this season, full of old and tired ~stars~ who don't give a flying fuck about the club, just about the pay at the end of the month. The club made a big mistake sending him into a league that is a football cemetaray, coruption and incidents are more and more important, instead of footballers. Arda Turan was the last name that came from there, so you can imagine.

I saw him in 17 games this season, not because I wanted, but because the SuperLig was always on. It would be very, very interesting to see the next step. Galatasaray has another year option to keep him and we cannot say anything in that matter. We made a really stupid move with him.

At this point, I think there are small chances of him to be in our squad the next season. Guardiola will not keep him because he suffered a setback. Going from champion in Scotland to 7th position in Turkey is a big setback and the constant rotation made him mediocre as a center defender and ok as a right back.

Now and read this very well, his injury record is absolutly horrible: 13 injuries the whole season. 26 games, 13 injuries, 2 goals.

13 Injuries the whole season., with Rizerspor it was the worse: Thigh Muscle Strain

In total, he had:

2 hip problems
8 Thigh Muscle Strain
1 Calf
2 Unknown

10 of those were during a game and he was substituted

The funny thing is that he might be in Belgium's squad at the Euro's, if you listen to the rumour surrounding the natonal team of Belgium.

They have 3 games left, 2 league and the Cup final. They expect him to play in 2 of those games.

On 26 May 2016, try to find any Joans and watch the Turkish Cup Final, he will play as a center back versus Fener

PS: Just announced, he is in the Euro squad.
Last edited by PeterParker on Thu May 12, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: The Curious Case of Jason Denayer

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu May 12, 2016 11:47 am

Looked bloody quality at times over here in pre season. Really gutted he went away this season. Hope he comes back roaring.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Pretty sure I heard he's coming back for next season.
Heard nice things about his dad. Long story short, doesn't get involved with people who want backhanders etc and just wanted a clean deal, that's how Galatasaray happened over others. Could have got more money elsewhere.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 12, 2016 12:03 pm

"Galatasaray has another year option to keep him and we cannot say anything in that matter. We made a really stupid move with him. "

You sure about this part mate?

I ask because of this quote from Cenk Ergun:

"We have put a clause in the rental contract. We want Jason from City and in our loan agreement we have the right to extend for a year under the same conditions."

"This is a priority. The three parties have to consent.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Thu May 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:"Galatasaray has another year option to keep him and we cannot say anything in that matter. We made a really stupid move with him. "

You sure about this part mate?

I ask because of this quote from Cenk Ergun:

"We have put a clause in the rental contract. We want Jason from City and in our loan agreement we have the right to extend for a year under the same conditions."

"This is a priority. The three parties have to consent.

Pretty sure.

My source is Iulian Filipescu, he played for them and has a special relation with the board.

However, I think there is a gentlemen's agreementl. They have the option, but if we really need him, he can go back any time. I don't think we are that naive.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Deserves a chance as back up in the squad. The rate Zabba has regressed over the last season I shouldn't wonder that he will be at least on a par with him for RB next season. The fact he can also possibly play the odd game at CB gives him the versatility that Zabba doesn't posses.

The exact type of player that should be a squad filler instead of spending £7/8m on someone else.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby CitizenYank » Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 am

A Turkish friend of mine rates him up there with Kompany. He has had a lot of minor injuries though. I hope we have a chance to add him if he does well this summer in the Euros.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Just set up winner in Turkish Cup Final with Gala
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Should not have been allowed to go as we kept Demechelis instead. That says it all. Quality young player who will flourish under Pep
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PeterParker » Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

Sorry, forgot to update this.

He played 90s vs Fenerbahce in the Turkish Cup Final. He played as a CB and had his best game of the season, imho. He took out the rapist RVP all game long and most of all, he had the assist of the only goal of the game scored by Podolski.

Really good game. Hope is the Guardiola effect.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby littlebig » Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am

Would be great to see him succeed for us but by the sounds of it he's had a hit and miss spell in Turkey.

So important that we get some good young uns coming through. They'll probably be mercenary too though ;)
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri May 27, 2016 10:43 am

Article is a few months old but it gives a good view of him from Turkish perspective:

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/03/13/let ... tball-com/
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Fri May 27, 2016 10:50 am

Looks like he'll be the starting CB for Belgium at the Euros in Kompany's place.

A bit of a head-scratcher by Wilmots honestly, playing the best remaining central defenders Alderweireld and Vertonghen as fullbacks, while a kid who played most of the season at RB gets to start in the centre.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri May 27, 2016 3:38 pm

So basically two of our allegedly brightest young talents, in Roberts and Denayer, are tied up for another year in Scotland and turkey?

Brilliant fucking business.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri May 27, 2016 3:56 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:So basically two of our allegedly brightest young talents, in Roberts and Denayer, are tied up for another year in Scotland and turkey?

Cheers

Jason Denayer has joined Turkish club Galatasaray on a season-long loan. The 20-year-old Belgian centre back, who signed a new five-year-deal at the Etihad Stadium in July, will continue his footballing education in Istanbul.

Galatasaray are in Champions League Group C this season along with Benfica, Atletico Madrid and Astana.

Denayer has already benefited from a loan spell having excelled for Celtic during the 2014/15 season, claiming the SPL Young Player of the Year award as well as the club's own Young Player of the Year gong.

He has already broken into the Belgium senior squad and took part in City's summer pre-season tour.

We wish Jason all the best for his spell with Galatasaray and we'll bring you regular updates on his progress in our Loan Watch feature.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 am

DoomMerchant wrote:So basically two of our allegedly brightest young talents, in Roberts and Denayer, are tied up for another year in Scotland and turkey?

Cheers

Yes and No.

They have the option for another year, but we have the final word on this.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 pm

I thinK Denayer could be good for us in central defence, I'm hoping he has a good tournament. Belgium will be my second team so I will try and keep an eye on him.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john@staustell » Sat May 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Amazes me how so many people think he is the new messiah. The new Ade Mike defensive version.. You'd have thought his dodgy outing in Australia would have made people think.

I've said a lot on this madness before, but as it's been dredged up again I'll stick my neck right out - he will never get, nor be good enough to get, a game for City in the Premier league.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Curmudgeon.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby phips » Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 pm

even with Kompany injured Wilmots left Denayer on the bench nine favor of Witsel at right-back vs. Switzerland. thats a bit shocking.
however, it's just a friendly so he could be experimenting.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus