Saturday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:43 am

Gary Neville and Carlos Tevez avoid FA punishment
Tevez scored two goals in Tuesday's first-leg victory
Manchester United's Gary Neville and Manchester City's Carlos Tevez have escaped punishment by the Football Association, BBC Sport understands.
Neville was under investigation for a one-fingered gesture that took place in United's 2-1 loss to City on Tuesday.
Tevez called former team-mate Neville a "boot-licker" and a "moron" for his comments about the Argentine before the Carling Cup semi-final first leg.
However, both players have been warned about their future conduct by the FA.
It is understood if the players were to be formally disciplined in future the FA reserves the right to refer to Neville's conduct and Tevez's words.
The FA has also been in touch with Greater Manchester Police with a view to ensuring the second leg passes off without incident.
Both clubs will be under huge scrutiny both before, during and after Wednesday's second-leg at Old Trafford.
In September, Neville was cautioned about his t his future conduct following United's dramatic 4-3 derby win in the Premier League when he ran towards City fans to celebrate Michael Owen's injury-time winner at Old Trafford.
The England defender received a £5,000 FA fine and was warned over his future conduct in 2006 because he celebrated in front of Liverpool's fans after United secured a late winner over their rivals.
Argentine Tevez joined City in July 2009 following an extended, two-season loan deal with United, with whom he won two Premier League titles and the Champions League.
His move to bitter rivals City angered United fans as Tevez was a firm favourite with Old Trafford supporters.
Before the first-leg tie at Eastlands, Neville said United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had been right to let Tevez leave the club last summer, rather than signing him on a permanent deal after his two-year loan spell ended.
Tevez scored twice in City's 2-1 win, and gestured and cupped his ears after scoring his second goal
Cameras appeared to catch Neville making an obscene gesture in response, and afterwards Tevez said his celebration had not been aimed at the United bench but specifically at his former team-mate.
"My celebration was directed at Gary Neville," Tevez told ESPN Argentina.
"He acted like a complete boot-licker when he said I wasn't worth £25m, just to suck up to the manager.
"I don't know what the hell that moron [tarado] is talking about me for. I never said anything about him.
"I didn't go overboard in my celebration and it was directed at Gary, not at Ferguson and not at the fans.
"I think he did the wrong thing because I waseam-mate and I never said anything bad about him."
The row has made plenty of headlines and has done little to help the FA's hopes of reducing tensions between the clubs.
And Greater Manchester Police assistant chief constable Ian Hopkins has called for fans to be on their best behaviour, with around 9,000 City fans expected at Old Trafford.
He said: "As one of the host cities for the 2018 World Cup bid, the second leg truly is a great day for Manchester to shine. We would ask that fans play their part by behaving sensibly and do the city proud.
"I would like to stress that although the rivalry has always been there between the fans, previous derby matches have passed off largely peacefully and without major incident.
"I would ask that fans adhere to this tradition on Wednesday, regardless of what happened in the first leg."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has cranked up the tension with neighbours City yet further ahead of next Wednesday's second-leg Carling Cup tie by insisting the Blues do not have the mental strength to win the tie.
Daily Mirror

Manchester City have had a £2m bid for Victor Moses turned down - and Arsenal may step in for the Crystal Palace forward.
Daily Star

City have also missed out on Racing Santander midfielder Sergio Canales, who has agreed a £5.5m move to Real Madrid.
Daily Mail

Manchester City set to unload Robinho at last with loan move to Santos
Robinho could make his final appearance for Manchester City in the FA Cup tie at Scunthorpe after club officials sanctioned moves to offload the £32.5 million British record signing on loan to Santos.
Attempts by Man City to re-ignite Barcelona's interest in the Brazil forward by offering him on loan until the end of the season have been met with a cool response from the European champions, who have told City that Robinho is no longer a leading target.
But Brazilian club Santos, who sold Robinho to Real Madrid for £20 million in 2005, are in talks with City over a short-term move for the 25 year-old.
Although the two clubs remain some distance from agreeing on financial aspects of the deal, which would involve Santos paying a substantial proportion of Robinho's £160,000-a-week wages, sources at City believe a compromise can be reached.
Manager Roberto Mancini has been dismayed by Robinho's performances since succeeding Mark Hughes at Eastlands and he has informed City's football administrator, Brian Marwood, that he is ready to part with the player.
Despite making an instant impact at Manchester City following his move from Real in Sept 2008, Robinho scored just three goals in 2009 and he has yet to find the net this season.
He has done little to assuage the perception that he is unhappy at City, making regular comments about his desire to play for Barcelona, but Mancini's decision to replace Robinho at Everton last Saturday – 51 minutes after introducing him as a substitute – prompted chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak, chief executive Garry Cook and Marwood to re-evaluate their stance on Robinho's future.
City are determined to dispense with Robinho on their terms and it has been made clear to him and his representatives that he will not be allowed to leave during this transfer window unless a deal can be struck to City's satisfaction.
For the first time, though, City have acknowledged that they are prepared to offload the player, who has stressed a desire for first-team football in the build-up to the World Cup.
With Mancini preparing to rest key players such as Shay Given, Gareth Barry and Carlos Tévez at Scunthorpe, Robinho could yet figure at Glanford Park after being named in City's travelling squad.
But having sanctioned the loan of City youngster Vladimir Weiss to Bolton until the end of the season, Mancini admits the prospects of AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini and Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini arriving at Eastlands this month appear slim.
"Flamini is a good player but he is playing at Milan and playing very well, so I don't think it is possible for him to come," said Mancini. "Chiellini is the best defender in Italy right now, so it is impossible for Juventus to lose him."
Emmanuel Adebayor, who is due back at Eastlands after a period of compassionate leave following the terrorist attack on the Togo team bus in Angola two weeks' ago, is not expected to figure against Manchester United in the Carling Cup semi-final second-leg at Old Trafford on Wednesday due to fitness concerns.
Chief executive Cook has added to the verbal sparring between United and City, however, by claiming his club will be, 'without doubt, the biggest and best football club in the world.' Cook, addressing supporters at a club function in New York's Mad Hatter Saloon, added that 'it is not if, but when, we're at Wembley having beaten Man United yet again."

Emmanuel Adebayor set to return to Manchester City
Striker Adebayor has scored six goals for Manchester City this season
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini expects Emmanuel Adebayor to return to the club on Sunday following the attack on Togo at the Africa Cup of Nations.
The Togo captain, 25, has been given indefinite compassionate leave by City and revealed that one of the three who died in the attack, did so in his arms.
Several players were also injured and Togo withdrew from the tournament.
The striker has yet to feature for City since Roberto Mancini took over as boss from Mark Hughes in mid-December.
Following the incident in Cabinda, Adebayor said: "I am sweating every day and I can't eat. I will take my time and come back on the pitch at the right time.
"My boss and my team understand that, that is the most important thing. They know I need time to recover from this.
"It is difficult because my personal press officer died in my hands, that is the worst image I have had in my life. He passed away in my hands. It is very difficult."
City's boss Roberto Mancini said after Monday's 4-1 Premier League win over Blackburn: "We will speak to him when he returns.
"Whenever he wants to play, whenever he feels ready, that is OK.
"At the moment, we are just very sorry for him. The situation is incredible."
Adebayor stayed in Togo capital Lome for three days of official mourning following the attack in Cabinda.
Togo's assistant coach, press officer and bus driver died in the attack by Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (Flec) rebels.
The team considered playing on in the tournament but the Togo prime minister ordered them to return home because of ongoing fears about security.

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Manchester United have joined Tottenham in the race for £18m-rated Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko - as they prepare to let winger Zoran Tosic join Cologne. Daily Mail

But United face the prospect of losing Wayne Rooney to Real Madrid, who have hired super-agent Pini Zahavi to negotiate a deal for the striker.The Sun

Meanwhile, Robinho is close to leaving Eastlands for Brazilian club Santos - who sold the 25-year-old to Real Madrid in 2005 - in a loan deal until the end of the season.The Sun

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti says that midfielder Joe Cole, who is out of contract at the end of the season, will remain at the club next term. The Guardian

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has admitted that Aston Villa's Habib Beye is on his radar after a deal to sign Hamburg defender Guy Demel broke down. Daily Mirror

Blackburn are keen to sign Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan and are also interested in Stuttgart's Turkish midfielder Yildiray Basturk. Daily Mail

West Ham are set to sign South Africa striker Benni McCarthy from Blackburn Rovers on loan for 18 months to get around work permit issues. Daily Mirror

Blackburn Rovers winger Morten Gamst Pedersen is in talks with Turkish giants Fenerbahce over a January move. Daily Mirror

Fulham have made a bid for FC Basle's £6m-rated Switzerland striker Marco Streller. Daily Mail

Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle is a cut-price target for both Bolton and West Ham. Daily Mirror

WAG OF THE DAY
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... sa-johnson

OTHER BOLLOX
New Bolton boss Owen Coyle and keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen have been involved in a training-ground bust-up after former Burnley goalkeeping coach Phil Hughes was appointed at the expense of Jaaskelainen's mentor Fred Barber.
Daily Mail

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has tipped Everton manager David Moyes to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United once the Scot decides to leave Old Trafford. Daily Mirror

Michael Owen has asked Manchester United team-mate Wayne Rooney for advice on how to get back into Fabio Capello's England squad.The Guardian

New West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady has suggested the team could be renamed "West Ham Olympic" if they move into the London 2012 stadium. The Sun

The Football Association is sending back thousands of World Cup tickets they failed to sell to their official supporters club. Fans have not taken up 6,000 of the 29,000 tickets allocated by organisers to the FA.
Daily Mirror

Manager Darren Ferguson has refused to let his Preston players watch a DVD of Chelsea's 7-2 drubbing of Sunderland, in the run-up to their clash with Carlo Ancelotti's side in the FA Cup.
Daily Telegraph
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Was the Gago 15M Euro bid reported yesterday maybe? if i missed the discussion about it, just wave me off, but Gago...i just don't think is a gamechanger for our season, is he? Talented kid at some level for sure, but...what do you lads think? Can someone that follows La Liga or the Argies closely weigh in? I have seen him for the Argies but not much at Real tbh, and the Argies haven't exactly looked like world beaters with him in the side, tho it's certainly a bigger problem than him.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Re: Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby CityGer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Doomy, I agree. I'll back Bobby but I feel that we are well covered in this dept and if we're not, in Bobby's eyes, then Flamini is a far better bet. Dont' get this and reckons it's bollocks.

Also, if we're going to sign someone else then a centre half (Chielini) or a creative midfielder (Hamsik) is where we need to look.

The one area where we are best covered with our current squad is defensive midfield.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Return to The Maine Football forum