Nice Fergie bashing article from an unlikely source...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Nice Fergie bashing article from an unlikely source...

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:36 pm

john68 wrote:Considering that we have just been knocked out of the Carling Cup in our 1st semi for a million years by the rags, I should still be on suicide watch. Yet I find myself suprisingly, chuckling away whenever I think of them.
The whole thing at the swamp seems to be disintigrating at an amazingly good comedic rate.

You really couldn't make it up.
The richest club in the World has now evolved into the one with the biggest debt....You gotta have a smile at that one.
Their all triumphant team is allowed to age so much that when they line up in the tunnel, it could be mistaken for a post office queue on pension day...probably stinks of piss too.
Their loyal fans are in open revolt and refusing to wear the club colours...Even when we were suffering at our lowest, we never gave up the blue.
Their all conquering manager who not long ago instilled fear into the media, has become a laughing stock.
While they were fast asleep, their nearest "noisy neighbours" crept up and shouted BOO!!!...and scared them so much that they risked Plug and put their title challenge in jeopardy.

They have become so pathetically funny that it is almost becoming difficult to hate them...But I will try.

I have been looking into the scum debt position at some length - and I can confidently say that no matter how bad it looks - it is actually much worse and only needs another 18months to be terminal I think

This whole bond issue - the way it has been structured exposes the Glazer approach - they are structuring things to make pots of money from withdrawals - rather than hope for a bonus in the future through a sale - this means that they will milk the cow for scores of millions each year and they will have no money for transfers

Happy to give more details if desired - or look at this thread from a scum site - the last couple of pages have a number of posts where the penny is dropping amongst those sad fuckers:

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-ut ... hread.html (I think you have to edit the link to spell out united)
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ronk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Somerset Blue wrote:
john68 wrote:They have become so pathetically funny that it is almost becoming difficult to hate them...But I will try.

Perseverence.

During the better times they made a fist of concealing their ugly side from many.

Now, in decline, we're really seeing them in all their sneering, atavistic glory. With an uncertain future they're burning bridges and making no effort to make friends. Typical actions of a load of cunts.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby King Kev » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 pm

john68 wrote:Considering that we have just been knocked out of the Carling Cup in our 1st semi for a million years by the rags, I should still be on suicide watch. Yet I find myself suprisingly, chuckling away whenever I think of them.
The whole thing at the swamp seems to be disintigrating at an amazingly good comedic rate.

The richest club in the World has now evolved into the one with the biggest debt....You gotta have a smile at that one.
Their all triumphant team is allowed to age so much that when they line up in the tunnel, it could be mistaken for a post office queue on pension day...probably stinks of piss too.
Their loyal fans are in open revolt and refusing to wear the club colours...Even when we were suffering at our lowest, we never gave up the blue.
Their all conquering manager who not long ago instilled fear into the media, has become a laughing stock.
While they were fast asleep, their nearest "noisy neighbours" crept up and shouted BOO!!!...and scared them so much that they risked Plug and put their title challenge in jeopardy.

They have become so pathetically funny that it is almost becoming difficult to hate them...But I will try.
If this site had a Likes This button I would be clicking away at it right now! Top stuff!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:36 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:

I have been looking into the scum debt position at some length - and I can confidently say that no matter how bad it looks - it is actually much worse and only needs another 18months to be terminal I think

This whole bond issue - the way it has been structured exposes the Glazer approach - they are structuring things to make pots of money from withdrawals - rather than hope for a bonus in the future through a sale - this means that they will milk the cow for scores of millions each year and they will have no money for transfers

Happy to give more details if desired - or look at this thread from a scum site - the last couple of pages have a number of posts where the penny is dropping amongst those sad fuckers:

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-ut ... hread.html (I think you have to edit the link to spell out U***d)

Link not working
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:07 am

I think it is because the word united is in there so the asterisks go in - if when you get the error message you just change the asterisks to the right letters it works - not technical enough to sort it beyond that
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby globalbollox » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:09 am

The Glazer family, the owners of Manchester United, are struggling to refinance their enormous debts amid concerns about the impact they are having on the club.

The Times understands that the Americans have been trying unsuccessfully to secure a refinancing package for part of the club’s £699 million debt for months, having failed in 2007 and last year, because of the bleak global economic climate.

Fans’ groups have cast doubt over whether they will ever see the £80 million raised from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portugal forward, to Real Madrid last summer reinvested in the squad.

Dragan Djuric, the Partizan Belgrade president, meanwhile claimed this week that United pulled the plug on a deal to sign Adem Ljajic, the Serbia Under-21 midfield player, because “maybe they are in financial crisis”.

United dismissed Djuric’s claims and a spokesman for the Glazer family has maintained publicly that there is plenty of money available for Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, to spend on players, but supporters are unlikely to be pacified until they see the arrival of some big names or evidence that the spiralling debt is under control. The main concern is understood to centre around the £175.5 million worth of debt that the Glazers are personally responsible for, not the £518.7 million of loans secured against the club.

It is these so-called Payment In Kind (PIK) notes, money borrowed from US hedge funds that “rolls up” at an annual interest rate of 14.25 per cent, that the Americans are believed to have been trying to refinance.

The intention was always to pay off these loans within a few years of the takeover in May 2005, but while they managed to redeem some of the original PIK debt of £275 million, the credit crunch has made this difficult.

By the time the debt matures in 2017, it will stand at £580 million unless the Glazers can pay part or all of it off before then, or secure a preferential rate of interest. With the club.

Glazer family hit the wall over refinancing of Manchester United | Manchester United - Times Online

Just checked ,this is old news from Dec
globalbollox
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby globalbollox » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 am

My apologies ,I didn't go far enough into the thread
globalbollox
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:39 am

globalbollox wrote:My apologies ,I didn't go far enough into the thread

This is an insightful one from a scum fan that seems to be qualified to analyse the financial detail - essentially the Glazers are setting things up to just keep taking major money out every year - the penny is beginning to drop - hence all the Norwich scarves:

please read the latest discovery.

The Glazers have created the mechanism to pay themselves 400million pounds in dividends. on top of the 70mil and 25mil.

The digging around that I and others have done since the bond prospectus was published on 11th January shows conclusively that the Glazers will be able to take huge sums out of United now the old bank debt has been replaced with bonds.

What's obviously harder to prove is that they intend to exercise these rights and to what extent. We know for certain that they intend to take the Ronaldo money out, it's mentioned on pages 27, 44 and 130 of the prospectus. We know they are going to grab Carrington, sell it and make the club that built it from its own funds pay to use it, that's on pages 78, 79 and 156 amongst others.

But maybe that's it. Maybe just because they've got the right to take 50% of the cash profits they won't exercise that right. What sort of smoking gun would you need to find to the prospectus to make a convincing case that not only can the Glazers pillage Manchester United to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds, but that they intend to?

I think you'd need to find something like this:

This small print appears on pages 43 of the prospectus with the same routing of money also described on page 44 and is defined on page 158 as the "Closing Funds Flow".

For clarity, taking this small print together with other bits of the prospectus, this is what will happen to the £504m of proceeds from the bond issue:

£504m raised
of which:

£15m paid in costs to the banks that organised the bond issue
£489m left in MU Finance
of this £489m:
"approximately £400m" is passed to Manchester United Ltd (the rest goes straight to Red Football Ltd to pay off bank debt).
Manchester United Ltd lends the £400m to Red Football Joint Venture Ltd (the parent company of Red Football and the company with the famous PIKs). The loan is indefinite and interest free.
Red Football Joint Venture Ltd pushes the £400m back into its subsidiary Red Football Ltd (the company with the bank debt) by making a "capital contribution".

Red Football Ltd uses the £400m it has just received (together with more of Manchester United's cash, to pay off the rest of the bank debt and some of the losses on the interest rate derivative).

Now when I first read this clause it didn't seem very important. I didn't know why they were doing all this money moving, I guessed (wrongly) that it was something to do with tax. When I had some free time I asked an expert, a senior accountant at one of the big 4 firms in Manchester (thanks mate). Being a qualified professional he worked it out pretty quickly. And when he told me the answer it all made sense. Let me try to explain:

Under English company law, there are restrictions on companies paying dividends. It is not generally possible to pay dividends from what are called "non-distributable reserves" without a complex and costly "capital reorganisation". Without boring you with the detail, a company's net worth (it's "shareholders funds") are divided into different "reserves". A company (even if it has the cash) cannot easily pay dividends from its "share premium reserve".

This is what the various "reserves" that make up Red Football Ltd's net worth ("shareholders funds") looked like at 30th September 2009:

So despite having a net surplus of over £450m, Red Football Ltd can't really pay dividends because it all sits in the "share premium reserve". If it had a positive number in the "profit and loss reserve" it could pay dividends up to this amount, but this number is negative (the product of over four years of losses).

So how do companies in this position get around this problem?

One way is for the company's owner to make a "capital contribution". The owner just pumps money into the company (no new shares are created). Intuitively you can see why this money from the parent and placed in a separate "Capital contribution reserve" can be paid back to the parent in dividends, it is after all the parent's money.

So suddenly, the £400m flow around the Red Football group makes perfect sense. The new reserve created by this inflow into Red Football's account allows the company to pay dividends to its parent Red Football Joint Venture Ltd. It has no other possible purpose (and let me add, this is a normal method of creating "distributable reserves" and is perfectly legal and normal).

And the most important thing about this accounting cash shuffling is this, it creates £400m of dividend paying capacity. Not just the £70m identified upfront in the prospectus, or the extra £25m dividend they can pay that is hidden on page 130 of the prospectus. £400m.

Still not 100% certain the Glazers are planning to asset strip our club for years to come?

Some simple questions: why bother creating the accounting room to grab £400m and and pay it out to the owners?
If asset stripping is a scare story with no foundation, why have they deliberately made it possible?

If you were a benevolent owner who put the interests of the club first, would you create the accounting mechanism to pay out £400m?
You don't need to be a knowledgeable accountant like my mate to know the answers......
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Somerset Blue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 am

King Kev wrote:If this site had a Likes This button I would be clicking away at it right now! Top stuff!

And just why doesn't this site have such a button? Huh? Huh? Where's my refund?
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:14 pm

As I understand it, they need to take money out of the club to pay off the PIK debt that they're personally liable for. Bond-holders aren't going to be interested in paying so much money just so the Glaziers can take almost the whole lot and leave the bonds worthless.

The Glaziers already own the club, their best strategy for making money is to pay off as much of the debt as they can by any means they can get away with and sell the club or sit there raking in profits.

The bond fixes the interest rate for a period of years. I think they're still trying to pay off their long term debts rather than trying to get out what they can, while they can. Doesn't mean it'll work.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum