Barry: What does he do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Barry: What does he do?

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 pm

Blue2 wrote:Been well documented that he has been playing with an injury for about 2- 3months, needs rest I reckon. he was excellent for the first couple of months.

Yeh, I think if he is struggling with an injury that is affecting his performances this much he should get it sorted out because he's been a passenger on the pitch for weeks now.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 am

King Kev wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I like Barry a lot and think he offers way much more to the team than people give him credit for.

Maybe Barry is not the problem, maybe the manager should stop fucking around and play people in their right positions
You don't like 'the manager' do you?

why? Is it annoying when someone has a pop at the manager every chance they get?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Socrates » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 am

Wooders wrote:
King Kev wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I like Barry a lot and think he offers way much more to the team than people give him credit for.

Maybe Barry is not the problem, maybe the manager should stop fucking around and play people in their right positions

why? Is it annoying when someone has a pop at the manager every chance they get?

Only annoying when he's won 7 games from 9. If he gets to the point where he's won 2 from 9 then his tactics become fair game.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby mr_nool » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 am

Socrates wrote:
Wooders wrote:
King Kev wrote:

Only annoying when he's won 7 games from 9. If he gets to the point where he's won 2 from 9 then his tactics become fair game.

I don't think he's found his tactics yet / gotten to know the player material properly. And still he's got a pretty impressive record.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:33 am

I think we both know thats not entirely true socs - anyway

I'm delighted with Mancini so far
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Socrates » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 am

Wooders wrote:I think we both know thats not entirely true socs - anyway

Not sure. We should have gone for Jewell or Boothroyd...

Think Nool is spot on, he's getting to know the players still and is still missing quite a few.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:49 am

Wooders wrote:I think we both know thats not entirely true socs - anyway

Same, Bobby Manc has us winning the games Hughes would've had us losing/drawing.

Back on point imo GB has been average since the Villa game. Whether its injury, a pre world cup hangover or just not being fussed, he's really performing at half ability atm, we know he can do better.

I've a feeling the midfield recruitment drive we are on atm has alot to with the half cut performances GB is putting in atm.

I think a direct rival to his first team spot is just the kick up the arse GB needs.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 am

I do think Barry is a good player and I don't want to get on his back but he doesn't half look uninterested sometimes. And I don't buy in to this 'he needs an operation'. If he needed one that much he'd have had it by now.

With regards to yesterday though - Petrov isn't a right-winger, Ireland isn't a defensive midfielder and Barry isn't a left-winger.
The boss could have easily switched it up and moved Petrov over to the left, Ireland over to the right and Barry back in the center after seeing it wasn't going to work. I think Barry was left on his own on the left far too much without any support.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby villain » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 pm

Hello

I posted this on here a while back about Barry, was going to make the same points, but realised I could just repost it (I still think it is valid).

villain wrote:Hello

Villa fan here. re Barry, you're seeing what a lot of us VIlla fans saw for years, that Barry has a tendency to go missing for great chunks of the season.

It is all very well seeing him do the business for England, which he invariably does, but he was very frustrating for us - especially last year - when doing his disappearing act.

That's not sour grapes, incidentally, I'd feel much happier were Barry still in our squad, and he is a good player, but he does exactly what he is doing for you at the moment - disappears, and for long periods of time.

I also think he has to be played alongside the right type of player. Alongside Petrov for us, our midfield looked incredibly one-paced. When I've seen him play alonside De Jong he's looked exactly the same for you.

I also wonder whether being removed from his comfort zone is affecting him. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that when we played you at our place, the booing got to him, you could tell a mile off. When he got booed at St Andrews for you, he reacted the same way - went into his shell.

In short, he's a decent player, but he's benefitted from a very benevolent media and footballing public. The same thing we hear now - Ashley Young is amazing for you, he's on fire (he isn't, he's had 3 or 4 decent games at most since February last year) - we used to hear abotu Barry - 'he is the heartbeat of your team'. Not true, he wasn't. People fall back onto tired cliches a bit too easily

Like I said, he's a good player, and I wish he still played for us, but what you are seeing now is precisely what we saw for a long, long time.
villain
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Rag_hater wrote:What does Gareth do?
Seems he is going to inherit the position of scapegoat now the other one has gone.
He does enough for Mancio to keep picking him,so he must be doing something right, Mancini doesnt have any fear of playing people in different positions so I dont think the fact that we have few options who are a direct replacement for him worries him too much.
Today might have been a boring game but eveybody did what they were supposed to and we got a clean sheet and 3 pts.Stevie was probably the weakest link in the midfield today but he still did a bit towards Ade's goal so the critisism of him is a bit harsh methinks.
I dont see why he is coming in for the slagging.
Oh I forgot some of you need a scapegoat.

I just knew you'd swan in with your "oh Barry's doing so well, don't pick on him" bollox. And do you know what? Its not bollox at all - you're dead right this time.

The only thing I'm suprised with Mr Hater is that you didn't prove your argument by backing it up with serious stats as you like to do. Because in this case, they make for some serious reading. Now, I'm not a stat man so you lot can go and find them for yourselves, but the last time I checked, Gareth Barry did more tacking than any other midfield player this season. He also has a better success rate with said tackling. Oh, and I think he's passed the ball more than any other midfielder this season.... and has a successful pass rate that's in the 80 odd%.

Now unless I've completely fucked up here, all of the above, if correct, would point to the fact that Barry is doing a lot more than this thread has given him credit for and subsequently, Mr Hater is bang on the mark...

It was Shay's turn the other day, now its Barry's.

Its getting a bit much TBH.

Slan
Original Dub

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 am

Judging by those stats, maybe he would make a great holding midfielder?
Wins tackles and then gives a simple pass to a more creative player, setting things off.
The problem we have then, is he is playing alongside NDJ. Maybe the combination is the problem, not one player?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 am

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:What does Gareth do?
Seems he is going to inherit the position of scapegoat now the other one has gone.
He does enough for Mancio to keep picking him,so he must be doing something right, Mancini doesnt have any fear of playing people in different positions so I dont think the fact that we have few options who are a direct replacement for him worries him too much.
Today might have been a boring game but eveybody did what they were supposed to and we got a clean sheet and 3 pts.Stevie was probably the weakest link in the midfield today but he still did a bit towards Ade's goal so the critisism of him is a bit harsh methinks.
I dont see why he is coming in for the slagging.
Oh I forgot some of you need a scapegoat.

I just knew you'd swan in with your "oh Barry's doing so well, don't pick on him" bollox. And do you know what? Its not bollox at all - you're dead right this time.

The only thing I'm suprised with Mr Hater is that you didn't prove your argument by backing it up with serious stats as you like to do. Because in this case, they make for some serious reading. Now, I'm not a stat man so you lot can go and find them for yourselves, but the last time I checked, Gareth Barry did more tacking than any other midfield player this season. He also has a better success rate with said tackling. Oh, and I think he's passed the ball more than any other midfielder this season.... and has a successful pass rate that's in the 80 odd%.

Now unless I've completely fucked up here, all of the above, if correct, would point to the fact that Barry is doing a lot more than this thread has given him credit for and subsequently, Mr Hater is bang on the mark...

It was Shay's turn the other day, now its Barry's.

Its getting a bit much TBH.

Slan

I like barry and think he is being given unfair criticism at times, however, the stats show that Lucas is the best holding midfielder in the league.... I am never looking at those again!!!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sandman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 am

He's an empty shirt, I want to swap him back for Dunne!!
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 am

Barry made his name by sitting in midfield and spraying wonderful long passes out to the wings for the likes of Young and Milner to latch on to. He'd then make late runs into the box and get on the end of some crosses.

I think if Mancini is going to play out and out wingers in a 4-4-2 formation then Barry would benefit from this as it would be in his comfort zone.

But what do you do with De Jong, Vieira and Ireland?

Our midfield playing staff look more suited to a 5 man midfield set-up - two wingers, two defensive midfielders and one attacking midfielder.

The chemistry between our central midfielders is all wrong at the mo and this is why Mancini tried to sign Big Mac and Gago.

I don't think De Jong and Barry can play along side each other effectively.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Original Dub » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Barry made his name by sitting in midfield and spraying wonderful long passes out to the wings for the likes of Young and Milner to latch on to. He'd then make late runs into the box and get on the end of some crosses.

I think if Mancini is going to play out and out wingers in a 4-4-2 formation then Barry would benefit from this as it would be in his comfort zone.

But what do you do with De Jong, Vieira and Ireland?

Our midfield playing staff look more suited to a 5 man midfield set-up - two wingers, two defensive midfielders and one attacking midfielder.

The chemistry between our central midfielders is all wrong at the mo and this is why Mancini tried to sign Big Mac and Gago.

I don't think De Jong and Barry can play along side each other effectively.

Well I think thats the stand out problem mate. They don't compliment each other IMO.

That said, for the biggest an best club in the world, we're the only side out of what we anticipate to be the "big 5" that doesn't have a truely, already established, world class midfielder.

And we probably won't unless we finish in the top four this season.
Original Dub

Postby Green & Blue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Anyone watching england or villa over the last couple of seasons will have seen the evidence of why he is a highly rated player.He started very well with us and was one of the outstanding performers in august/september when we had some very positive results.
He has obvoiusly been off the pace for quite sometime hes definetley not 100% match fit.I think due to Ireland been missing he has remained in the side as we had no quality player to play instead of him but with Ireland back again and Vieira looking like hes going to be fit to play now i think Barry will get an overdue rest.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum