Should we man mark Rooney

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Should we man mark Rooney

Postby dikdik » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Rooney seems to be on fire at the moment. This will be a good thing in South Africa, but at the moment, from our singular perspective is a bad thing.
What does the team think about man marking the guy on Wednesday.
If yes proves a consensus then who would be be fast enough and strong enough to do the job?
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Should we man mark Rooney

Postby Beeks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:00 pm

I reckon we should stamp on his twattin face
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:00 pm

He didnt score last Tuesday,same again please.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:00 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I reckon we should stamp on his twattin face

This.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:05 pm

In the old days man marking used to work but these days it seems the bloke appointed to man mark usually ends up stopping to scratch his arse leaving the target unmarked & he scores anyway so it's just been a waste of a player.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

If he plays in the hole behind the striker, De Jong can do the marking. If he plays as a proper forward, imho no man marking would be better, but our CB should be 100% focused all game because you switch off a moment and he punishes you.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:In the old days man marking used to work but these days it seems the bloke appointed to man mark usually ends up stopping to scratch his arse leaving the target unmarked & he scores anyway so it's just been a waste of a player.

Despite disagreeing about Hughes, I have to say that you are the one poster alongside CtK who stands out as really knowing your football tactics mate.

You are absolutely spot on again. Man marking worked ten - fifteen years ago but modern players, especially likes of Shrek, work in whole pitch and if we sacrifice one man marking him, he will just be taken on tour and in the end Rooney will probably score anyway. Or at least another player using the free space to score. Numerous times probably.

The way to stop him is to have solid back four working together as an unit.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Rooney doesn't play like a standard striker, he finds himself popping up all over the pitch.
I don't think we have anyone capable of doing the job for 90 minutes.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Blueboylewis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Basically-

1) Rooney is shit with his back to goal so we need to keep it that way and not sit to deep and just move forward as a unit.

2) Make sure he doesnt get into the box! Because when he did last tuesday i was crapping it and he could have scored a couple of times!

3) Dont give him much time on the ball. As soon as he recieves the ball we want pressure on him straight away!

And in 3 east steps that is how to mark Rooney and stop him from scoring. So yes i think we sould man mark him imo. Lets have one of our players putting pressure on him all game and dont give him any time on the ball!
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:27 pm

THESE DAYS IT,S 3 PLAYERS THAT SURROUND OR HOUND THE OPPOSITIONS BEST THREAT AS SOON AS THE CUNT IS OVER THE HALF WAY LINE.

WE HAVE TO HASSLE THE CUNT WAY BEFORE HE GETS NEAR OUR PENALTY AREA.

IF NDJ WAS GOING TO MAN MARK HIM HE WILL GET A RED CARD BEFORE HALF TIME IMO.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby MUS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:30 pm

no
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:In the old days man marking used to work but these days it seems the bloke appointed to man mark usually ends up stopping to scratch his arse leaving the target unmarked & he scores anyway so it's just been a waste of a player.

Despite disagreeing about Hughes, I have to say that you are the one poster alongside CtK who stands out as really knowing your football tactics mate.

You are absolutely spot on again. Man marking worked ten - fifteen years ago but modern players, especially likes of Shrek, work in whole pitch and if we sacrifice one man marking him, he will just be taken on tour and in the end Rooney will probably score anyway. Or at least another player using the free space to score. Numerous times probably.

Yep. Also Rooney likes to operate in that area just around the edge of the box & down the sides of the box. If we make sure he doesn't get time on the ball in those areas by getting midfield players in there quickly preferably blocking the pass in the 1st place it'll make his job a lot harder. We let him escape several times last week & were very close to getting caught out.

The main thing imo though is that when they do get the ball off him, we pass it properly & get attacks down their end quickly rather than just kicking it back to them. It only needs 3/4 players to go if they move quickly. I'm convinced that if we do that we'll score & they have a big game coming at weekend so I think they'll possibly take him off ( if he starts anyway which I'm not sure about) if the game looks gone. They don't want to knacker out their strongest 11 in the league cup, no matter how much they hate us, at some point they have to think about Arsenal. It could decide the PL.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Yep. Also Rooney likes to operate in that area just around the edge of the box & down the sides of the box. If we make sure he doesn't get time on the ball in those areas by getting midfield players in there quickly preferably blocking the pass in the 1st place it'll make his job a lot harder. We let him escape several times last week & were very close to getting caught out.

The main thing imo though is that when they do get the ball off him, we pass it properly & get attacks down their end quickly rather than just kicking it back to them. It only needs 3/4 players to go if they move quickly. I'm convinced that if we do that we'll score & they have a big game coming at weekend so I think they'll possibly take him off ( if he starts anyway which I'm not sure about) if the game looks gone. They don't want to knacker out their strongest 11 in the league cup, no matter how much they hate us, at some point they have to think about Arsenal. It could decide the PL.

That is THE absolute key of getting result in swamp. If we start booting it as long as we can, we will be under constant pressure and they WILL score at some stage.

For me, we will have to keep our calm, be defensive but also be able to hold the ball and build attacks. If we have SWP, Tevez, Petrov and Bellamy on the pitch, we will have enough pace and creativity to be quick on the counter and I feel as well that we will score and get through.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pablo Sacramento » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

especially if Wio is playing. he will be dreading another helping of Bellamy speed baked humble pie.
"Twas Derby day the scores were level,
Then Foe whacked the ball to Neville,
Gary messed up and now knows for sure,
If you feed the Goat then he will score!
Pablo Sacramento
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Monkey Butlers
My favourite player is: Cassanova

Postby Kladze » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Pointless man marking him, he'll just drag his marker, and therefore the defensive shape of the team, all over the place.

Mark his areas and cut off the supply imo.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

David Connor used to man mark George Best really well and he was all over the place .But let's just play our game and win and then ask why Shrek did nothing after the game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Yes - I would have Zab on him until he is booked - then SWP - finish off with Nige
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mike J » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

get NDJ to smash him early doors and then same as last week. its critical that we keep him quiet though.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Burt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Fucl that. Let those devilworshppers worry about what we've got attacking them and then Shrek will be negated.

There's only one way that we should play aginst those fuclers and that's to go at em and let them worry more about us than we are of them.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mr Miyagi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Our protection of the back 4 is key. There were times last week where Rooney wandered around on the edge of the box picking his pass/shot with all the time in the world. We got away with. We can't allow it to happen again.

On a related note it does concern me, despite having De Jong sitting in front of the back 4, we don't protect our back 4 as well as we should. Rooney likes to drop off the front. The defender thinks "do I follow him or stay in position?" If he stays then it is the job of De Jong to pick him. He doesn't always do this for some reason. He goes chasing the ball instead of staying in position. Let Zabba/Barry follow the ball. It was noticeable when Ned came on he followed Rooney, perhaps specific instrucitons from Mancini because the midfield weren't picking him up.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum