The Problem!!! [merged]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Problem!!! [merged]

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm

What is it?

For me, it's playing in a manner that is not consistent with our players. We all know that our power is our attack, yet we have now decided to change that completely. We went through a transition in our first few games under Mancio where we played our natural game, ie. with the attacking flair combined with a change of tactics to the defence. Since then we have gone backwards because the players we have are not really defensive minded players and have had to take on a new mind-set. Take a look at our teams roots if you don't believe me.

So, am I right or am I wrong?

And more so, are the board in trouble after Khaldoon and Cook staked their careers on this???

[Edit: topic merged by WW]
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: The Problem!!!

Postby Dunnylad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Mancini has a style of playing that doesn't fit some of the current personnel, we either give him time to build his own side or we ship him out and drag someone else in and during the interview process tell them which players they will be inheriting and what the future buys will be. Mancini has already said AJ was recommended by Brian Marwood, so how can you build a team when someone else is picking the players?
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:What is it?

For me, it's playing in a manner that is not consistent with our players. We all know that our power is our attack, yet we have now decided to change that completely. We went through a transition in our first few games under Mancio where we played our natural game, ie. with the attacking flair combined with a change of tactics to the defence. Since then we have gone backwards because the players we have are not really defensive minded players and have had to take on a new mind-set. Take a look at our teams roots if you don't believe me.

So, am I right or am I wrong?

And more so, are the board in trouble after Khaldoon and Cook staked their careers on this???

the problem, in my opinion, is the training, its slow, metodical, tactical and most important little or no intensity, urgency or team work.

the only reason mancini started well was because the players had been drilled hard up to a few days before his 1st game and the fluency was still there. mancini worked on defensive positions only and forgot about the attack, 2 months on and fuck all work on the attack and we are paying for it now.

we can still get 4th but it will take a complete 180 degree turn from mancini and start pushing the players like its pre season
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Don't you think Mamcio was given the remit of sorting the defence out; a problem in itself?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Dunnylad wrote:Mancini has a style of playing that doesn't fit some of the current personnel, we either give him time to build his own side or we ship him out and drag someone else in and during the interview process tell them which players they will be inheriting and what the future buys will be. Mancini has already said AJ was recommended by Brian Marwood, so how can you build a team when someone else is picking the players?

Maybe we hire a manager and let him get on with the job. No idea what qualifications Marwood has for the job, other than he's an ex-footballer, but then so is Lawrenson.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dunnylad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:mancini worked on defensive positions only and forgot about the attack, 2 months on and fuck all work on the attack and we are paying for it now.

Maybe Mancini should bring Hughes in as his Assistant - do you not also think we have more defensive options so Mancini is very limited with what he can do and is so desperate for Ade to come back from the 'shooting' and Tevez from his premature daughter?
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby gillie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Don't you think Mamcio was given the remit of sorting the defence out; a problem in itself?

During the break in extra time Pulis was there bigging up his players whilst Mancini was sat on his arse go figure.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 pm

The problem was not scoring in the first half when we should have and then allowing the other team to get back into the match who then score first and then Ade gets sent off and it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

We should have finished this at home. Its our own stupid fault.

Yet another cup run in ashes. Again. You may be right about the style of play not being consistent with the players but whatever. We lost. Shouldn't have. The end.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Bluez » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:58 pm

But he isn't playing the attack minded players. Its all about balance, today we started with 7 defensive minded players, so all teh attack was down to 3 players. How are we supposed to score with that kind of formation?

If nothing else we should be expecting a 0-0 and penalties, but 3 goals conceeded against stoke with such a defensive set up, thats crazy. Over the last few games we have been getting less shots on goal than we used to get goals per game. Now we seem to have the worst of both worlds, we don't score many but we don't keep many clean sheets either.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 pm

simply the players are not good enough.

When we were winning a few or beating a couple of big teams ( by raising our game) everyone was on the bandwagon that all our players were top four quality.

Simple answer is the majority are vastly overpriced or potential top four players, yet we expect them to be winning every game and be safely in the top 4 streets ahead of Liverpool, Spurs and Villa.

I would say so far we are where the squad deserves to be, decent cup run, and top 5. The massive signings we have made were not being clamoured for by any of the top clubs save Tevez who told Scum to fuck off.

Who was chasing Given, Bridge, Adebayor, Toure, Lescott, Santa Cruz etc. If any of the top 4 clubs were, it would have been at half or less of the money and they would have been squad players and expected to achieve it all on their own. They would have been supplemented by world class stars. We still have to go in the transfer market and get these, as we are still a window or two behind those clubs even with our accelerated spending.

Beggars me how much we expect from the squad we have, bar Tevez I doubt many would be in the top 4 (except Liverpool) starting 11, yet we expect to be performing like Scum, Chelsea or Arse week in week out.

Lets get realistic - the players are not as good as we think. Case example - Bridge second choice at Chelsea = our first choice. Toure second choice at Arse = our captain. Adebayor - second choice at Arse= our first choice. Lescott - second choice cb at Everton behind Yobo, Distin and Jagielka. If we get 4th we have done well in my view.
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 pm

gillie wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Don't you think Mamcio was given the remit of sorting the defence out; a problem in itself?

During the break in extra time Pulis was there bigging up his players whilst Mancini was sat on his arse go figure.

Was on here with said thumb up arse drinking Stalla, so didn't see it. But if you're right in what you say, maybe Bellers has more of a say than Mancio as he was the only one with a voice!

In that case, it's the board for putting him in that position.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Dunnylad wrote: Mancini has a style of playing that doesn't fit some of the current personnel, we either give him time to build his own side or we ship him out and drag someone else in and during the interview process tell them which players they will be inheriting and what the future buys will be. Mancini has already said AJ was recommended by Brian Marwood, so how can you build a team when someone else is picking the players?

So what you're saying Dunny, is that we should essentially brace ourselves for various players coming and going in the summer, and that we should then wait 4/5/6/ months for them to Gel, by which time Mancinin may be gone, another chap comes in and the cycle goes around yet again.

Mancini now has to work with what we have WE CANNOT AFFORD TO WASTE ANY ADDITIONAL TIME PISS ARSING AROUND
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Bluez wrote:

But he isn't playing the attack minded players. Its all about balance, today we started with 7 defensive minded players, so all teh attack was down to 3 players. How are we supposed to score with that kind of formation?

If nothing else we should be expecting a 0-0 and penalties, but 3 goals conceeded against stoke with such a defensive set up, thats crazy. Over the last few games we have been getting less shots on goal than we used to get goals per game. Now we seem to have the worst of both worlds, we don't score many but we don't keep many clean sheets either.

Off the top of my head, in 20 games under Hughes this season we scored 45 and conceded 29. Under Mancini, in 15 games, we've scored 21 and conceded 17.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
gillie wrote:

Was on here with said thumb up arse drinking Stalla, so didn't see it. But if you're right in what you say, maybe Bellers has more of a say than Mancio as he was the only one with a voice!

In that case, it's the board for putting him in that position.

Technically speaking he wasn't sat on his arse, he was in stood up his dugout debating and throwing paper around with Brain Kidd for a few minutes. They spent so much time chatting that he only had 20 seconds to talk to the players, He patted Kompany on the back and then the camera cut away.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Bluez wrote:

I think that's what I'm saying mate. We have changed our formation and tactics to control what happens at the back yet our strength lies in attack. When you look at our players, they are all quite attack minded people. Even Lescott and Toure were brought up in a more attacking role.

My worry is that we have bought players to entertain by going forward, yet they are being subdued by tactics that are clearly alien to them.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Craig B » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute wrote:simply the players are not good enough.

When we were winning a few or beating a couple of big teams ( by raising our game) everyone was on the bandwagon that all our players were top four quality.

Simple answer is the majority are vastly overpriced or potential top four players, yet we expect them to be winning every game and be safely in the top 4 streets ahead of Liverpool, Spurs and Villa.

I would say so far we are where the squad deserves to be, decent cup run, and top 5. The massive signings we have made were not being clamoured for by any of the top clubs save Tevez who told Scum to fuck off.

Who was chasing Given, Bridge, Adebayor, Toure, Lescott, Santa Cruz etc. If any of the top 4 clubs were, it would have been at half or less of the money and they would have been squad players and expected to achieve it all on their own. They would have been supplemented by world class stars. We still have to go in the transfer market and get these, as we are still a window or two behind those clubs even with our accelerated spending.

Beggars me how much we expect from the squad we have, bar Tevez I doubt many would be in the top 4 (except Liverpool) starting 11, yet we expect to be performing like Scum, Chelsea or Arse week in week out.

Lets get realistic - the players are not as good as we think. Case example - Bridge second choice at Chelsea = our first choice. Toure second choice at Arse = our captain. Adebayor - second choice at Arse= our first choice. Lescott - second choice cb at Everton behind Yobo, Distin and Jagielka. If we get 4th we have done well in my view.

You're wrong on that one mate, Lescott was very much first choice at Everton hence why Gollum fought so hard to keep him. Distin was signed as his replacement after he'd left.
Last edited by Craig B on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

To beat Stoke over effectively 2 legs? How many of their players would you want instead?
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Bluez wrote:

Off the top of my head, in 20 games under Hughes this season we scored 45 and conceded 29. Under Mancini, in 15 games, we've scored 21 and conceded 17.

Ha ha ha, and that's off the top off your head? I went to the Wolves game and thought we'd beat Barcelona, off the top of my head! Flew back from Egypt on a bottle of Metaxa ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 9secondlegend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Craig Bardsley wrote:

You're wrong on that one mate, Lescott was very much first choice at Everton hence why Gollum fought so hard to keep him. Distin was signed as his replacement after he'd left.

also adebayor was 1st choice as was toure
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Blue in the face » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 pm

The problem is the fucking kit. Nobody wins anything nowadays wearing sky blue.

I'll get me hat :)
Last edited by Blue in the face on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum