Top Four!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Top Four!

Postby M147WN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 am

gillie wrote:I am happy that we are 4th but i cannot believe there are posters on here that think we will stay there with the woo de woop posts that we are there.We were and have been shite for six games now and it wont get better until Mancini gets rid of his shackles and says fuck it i have the best squad in the prem why dont i attack we certainly have the players for it.

Don't think we do have the KEY players for it Gillie!
The lack of midfielders who can grab a game and change its course is blaringly obvious.
Ireland is possibly one, but is plainly not firing on all cylinders atm! Bar him there is no authority or craft in central midfield and it limits us enormously!
This should have been addressed in the recent window but wasn't!
An error of gargantuan proportions (unless he was being held back??). We could see it, I'm sure Mancini could see it, anybody capable of steaming up a mirror can see it!
It's the reason we are flattering to deceive!
Where's a 26 year old Ali Bernarbia when you need him?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby gillie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 am

M147WN wrote:
gillie wrote:I am happy that we are 4th but i cannot believe there are posters on here that think we will stay there with the woo de woop posts that we are there.We were and have been shite for six games now and it wont get better until Mancini gets rid of his shackles and says fuck it i have the best squad in the prem why dont i attack we certainly have the players for it.

The lack of midfielders who can grab a game and change its course is blaringly obvious.
Ireland is possibly one, but is plainly not firing on all cylinders atm! Bar him there is no authority or craft in central midfield and it limits us enormously!
An error of gargantuan proportions (unless he was being held back??). We could see it, I'm sure Mancini could see it, anybody capable of steaming up a mirror can see it!

If only we could find one mate.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 am

gillie wrote:
M147WN wrote:

If only we could find one mate.

I haven't seen one. The PL is different even if one does appear. You could sign 4 players who look great in other leagues & every one could go missing in games like tonight's, or at places like OT for that matter. Any signing is a gamble.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby M147WN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 am

If only bud!
Going a bit of the thread topic but how the window ended was comical to me.
I was happy we got AJ as I think he will flower into a really good wide man.
Vieira must have thought it was his birthday when we came calling early january but the issue was signing at least 1 good central player who could make a difference!
The debacle with meriga and gago was truly embarrasing!
The sporting Lisbon lad Voloso would have been a good bit of business! heavily linked with us in the not too distant past.
A bit like going round Tesco and seeing something you fancied for your tea but overlooking it and wasting a further hour looking for something better only to return to the original choice only to find somebody took the last one 2 minutes ago!
Being the 'man in the street' who knows who really fucked this up? Manager? Execs assigned to carry out transfer duties??
Its ok trying to be the best on the pitch but we also need the best off it to do their thing!
Its so sad that with all the weapons we have we shot ourselves in the foot once again!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby CitizenYank » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 am

We crawled, grasped our nails into mediocre results and finally clawed our way into the Top Four.
I am going to enjoy the mini-moment until we play the Scousers.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 am

Antti,
Whoop de fuclin doo...we have got to 4th...how fucking amazing we must be.

Over the last few weeks, I have posted a dropped points league to show how the league stood from the other angle. We have been 4th for a number of weeks. It has been in our own hands for a number of weeks. Tonight's result saw us drop another 2pts, drop further behind Arsenal than we were and allowed L'Pool to inch close.
How fucling good are we tonight to make 4th when the reality is that we missed a golden opportunity to move clear of the scousers and get right up Arsenal's arse.
You see Antti, if you were not so concerned staring downwards into your half empty glass and took a little time to consider what was above us, you would have noticed that Arsenal (above your eyeline) had only got 8pts from their last 6 games, whilst we now have picked up 10pts. It couls have been 12pts and a real challenge for 3rd position.

But then again, some City fans are always looking below in fear instead of above with relish for a higher battle.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 am

Antti, the dogs are after you mate and want your head on a stick.

Yay for fourth.

Boo to how we did it. But we did it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 am

dazby wrote:Antti, the dogs are after you mate and want your head on a stick.

Yay for fourth.

Boo to how we did it. But we did it.

I know mate.

That said, I suppose it's a good mark of how well we are doing in the bigger picture if people go after me rather than the team. When we were doing poorly, no one had time to go after each other.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 am

I'll give a crap in 13 games, promise.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Fish111 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:26 am

May 9th 2010 away to West Ham. We have been playing shit going into the final game of the season, West Ham battling to stay in the prem and totally come at us and we hang on for a 1-1 draw after Carlton Cole has a perfectly good last minute goal disallowed. The point is good enough to seal 4th in the premiership.
I'll see all the whinging bastards on here that day moaning about ''we don't deserve to be where we are'' ''lucky to be fourth'' ''not happy how we scraped into the fourth spot'' ''i feel it's a false position considering how we are playing''
Apart from Rooney at the scum, who exactly is playing brilliant this season? We have lost our sparkle of late but we are 4th, i'll take it and i'll take it no matter how we get there and no matter the style of play that earns us that 4th spot. We are there on merit at the moment and we deserve our place in the top four. Enjoy it for fucks sake. This club is slowly but surely developing some of the most pessimistic, depressed set of fans in all the land, no wonder the atmosphere at games is fuckin shite. We have no devine right to go into the top four just because we're the richest club on the planet, it will take graft and a lot of luck and more importantly a lot of support from the stands. Without that support we will ensure we will fail. Then i suppose the moaning cunts can have their day again.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 am

Fish111 wrote:May 9th 2010 away to West Ham. We have been playing shit going into the final game of the season, West Ham battling to stay in the prem and totally come at us and we hang on for a 1-1 draw after Carlton Cole has a perfectly good last minute goal disallowed. The point is good enough to seal 4th in the premiership.
I'll see all the whinging bastards on here that day moaning about ''we don't deserve to be where we are'' ''lucky to be fourth'' ''not happy how we scraped into the fourth spot'' ''i feel it's a false position considering how we are playing''
Apart from Rooney at the scum, who exactly is playing brilliant this season? We have lost our sparkle of late but we are 4th, i'll take it and i'll take it no matter how we get there and no matter the style of play that earns us that 4th spot. We are there on merit at the moment and we deserve our place in the top four. Enjoy it for fucks sake. This club is slowly but surely developing some of the most pessimistic, depressed set of fans in all the land, no wonder the atmosphere at games is fuckin shite. We have no devine right to go into the top four just because we're the richest club on the planet, it will take graft and a lot of luck and more importantly a lot of support from the stands. Without that support we will ensure we will fail. Then i suppose the moaning cunts can have their day again.

Well said fishy fella. What, having to dig in and grind out results, with £200M spent? Surely not?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 am

john68 wrote:Antti,
Whoop de fuclin doo...we have got to 4th...how fucking amazing we must be.

Over the last few weeks, I have posted a dropped points league to show how the league stood from the other angle. We have been 4th for a number of weeks. It has been in our own hands for a number of weeks. Tonight's result saw us drop another 2pts, drop further behind Arsenal than we were and allowed L'Pool to inch close.
How fucling good are we tonight to make 4th when the reality is that we missed a golden opportunity to move clear of the scousers and get right up Arsenal's arse.
You see Antti, if you were not so concerned staring downwards into your half empty glass and took a little time to consider what was above us, you would have noticed that Arsenal (above your eyeline) had only got 8pts from their last 6 games, whilst we now have picked up 10pts. It couls have been 12pts and a real challenge for 3rd position.

But then again, some City fans are always looking below in fear instead of above with relish for a higher battle.

John68, you of all people should not be taking NQDP to task about being in fourth position.

As you know only too well, there are lots of games to be played.

The one point last night was hard earned, some might say lucky. Compared to the two we threw away at home with Burnley and the one point we gained at brum because of a penalty save . Oh and the three points we got from Chelsea that could have been only one if Lampard had converted the penalty.

The most important thing about last night is that going into sundays game against Liverpool , every git in the media ,every person looking at the table sees that we are ahead of Liverpool by one point with a game in hand. It therefore stands toreason that if Liverpool want to get back into fourth place they have to beat us. Clearly this game is a six-pointer. However , even if we draw, we reduce Liverpools chances.

The dropped points league is very important though, it reminded people that Chelsea, United and Arsenal dare not slip up either !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am

john@staustell wrote:
Fish111 wrote:May 9th 2010 away to West Ham. We have been playing shit going into the final game of the season, West Ham battling to stay in the prem and totally come at us and we hang on for a 1-1 draw after Carlton Cole has a perfectly good last minute goal disallowed. The point is good enough to seal 4th in the premiership.

Well said fishy fella. What, having to dig in and grind out results, with £200M spent? Surely not?

Ha! So true

Some on here think it's our divine right to not only win every game but play like brazil while we are doing it ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ha! So true

Some on here think it's our divine right to not only win every game but play like brazil while we are doing it ;-)

Well that would be nice wouldn't it? ;) but realistically, I can't see us ever achieving that, because of the nature of the PRemiership. In Spain, maybe, you could come close to that, like Barca does (they did last season, at least, and when Ronaldinho was at his top there) but even there you won't win all games. In the Prem, for the very reason that there are teams like Stoke, you won't be able to do that, and you will have to grind out results when going to their place. But that's boring and negative football, I guess it's not allowed to the richest club in the world, which however isn't the strongest in the world yet.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Ha! So true

I'm about as upset we don't play like Brazil as you and a few others are overjoyed we play like Samoa.

Lets face it we are not much better off points wise under Mancini, worse off in the cups and playing like under 6's in the world cup. Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of is it?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby david yearsley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 am

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:As fans we are turning into a bunch of humourless cunts

FACT

'Tis true. Though I'd only apply it to fans on the internet.

'tis ironic though, that the statement is coming from one of the very few people on here I've seen offering to fight other posters.

Not getting involved in personal disputes chief.

Unless you wanna take it outside? ; )

that semicolon just saved your life.

His colon is too weak , he´d shit himself if it came to a scrap
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:57 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
I'm about as upset we don't play like Brazil as you and a few others are overjoyed we play like Samoa.

Hahahaha...hats off...made me chuckle that...good comeback ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Ha! So true

What a fucking crock of shit.

I don't think we've got a right to fuck all, I certainly don't expect total football.....if you think anyone with a brain thinks that then you need to have a word with yourself.

What I WANT is for us to look like a side that merits a place in the top 4 and, of the evidence of the last few games, i think we are extraordinarily lucky to be occupying the position we do. Just as I think we didn't deserve a point last night. There were some positives from last night which I shall go into elsewhere but last night we robbed Stoke with the assistance of the referee.

We were fucking awful to watch, some amateur hour antics again (Given's shitty goalkeeping for their goal, Zabaleta's childlike defending for their second goal being the prime examples) and I saw fuck all from Mancini to convince me that we are going anything other than slowly backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed that we got the point, I know loads of times the "Big 4" have mugged opposition like that...why shouldn't we benefit for once. I agree, they do and maybe we should. But our place in the Top 4 today feels very much like a castle built on sand.

I hope I am proven utterly wrong on Sunday and we despatch the Scousers and claim our place in the Top 4 properly but today, after that shite last night, well I would feel foolhardy to be celebrating and willfully blind to the horror show I have seen in large parts of the last few games. If we play like that against Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Villa (being 6 of our last 11 matches) well we won't be anywhere near the top 4 come May.

I don't actually care if we play turgid football (although I see no reason whatsoever for us to do so given our players) from now until the end of the season if the means justify the end, if we looked like some kind of efficient, soulless outfit grinding down opposition and looking ruthless. But we currently don't, we look inept for large periods, 4-5 sky blue shirts crowding round an advancing opponent and none of them able to clear the danger properly (ie. not giving it straight fucking back to his teammates 8/10 times), we just look like we are riding our luck and, if we don't buck our ideas up, we WILL get found out very soon and it will be humiliating.

It's a load of fucking bollocks what i am currently seeing, a fucking shambles
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:10 am

ant london wrote:What I WANT is for us to look like a side that merits a place in the top 4

What Ant? As opposed to us actually being in the top 4...which we happen to be in now?

I think what a lot of you want is your cake and to eat it to be honest

Best position we have been in for years...yet here you are whining like little bitches
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ant london wrote:What I WANT is for us to look like a side that merits a place in the top 4

What Ant? As opposed to us actually being in the top 4...which we happen to be in now?

I think what a lot of you want is your cake and to eat it to be honest

Best position we have been in for years...yet here you are whining like little bitches

Mate, if we are in the top 4 at the end of the season, playing like we have been doing you can keep the cake, order me some humble pie and I shall fucking eat it.

I don't think people are whining "like little bitches" they are simply seeing what you appear willing to ignore....that we look fucking WANK. If you're happy with that then enjoy it. I, and most of the people I know in the real world who are blues, are far from happy.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum