Vieira Signed (OFFICIAL)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vieira To Sign Today

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:46 pm

FFS are we still ran by muppets?! 18 months????????! 140k?????????! He should be paying US to have a chance to play for the world cup. If he thinks hes got a guaranteed starting berth for that he can piss off.

I know the wages arent confirmed but the length of the contract is. Whats the point in having him after summer?

Another thing, I was gonna start a thread on David Villa.

How clever are Valencia? Keep their best player and 'cash cow' until hes 30/31 then STILL sell him for big, big money, when hes probably got a year or two left.

How many of you would feel happy with us buying him in the summer for 40 million? I know hes a top, top player, but hes getting on.

We want top players that are 25. I think its time to get players in of the mould of the younger players were being linked with. To me there doesnt seem to be many big names out there. Ribery is also getting on and is very injury prone now. The rest play for barca or madrid. Terry etc. are also getting on a bit.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Nick wrote:
I know the wages arent confirmed but the length of the contract is.

6 months with the option of another 12 for the fucking ten billionth time
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

[quote="Nick"...]he can piss off.[/quote]

Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Nick wrote:

Fair enough, but best case scneario with a footballer that has no desire to play for city in particular; he plays well when fit until the summer to get in the France team. Then we extend his contract and he'll have no motivation at all / be injured for a year. Dont mean to be negative but I can just see that happening.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Nick wrote:FFS are we still ran by muppets?! 18 months????????! 140k?????????! He should be paying US to have a chance to play for the world cup. If he thinks hes got a guaranteed starting berth for that he can piss off.

I know the wages arent confirmed but the length of the contract is. Whats the point in having him after summer?

How clever are Valencia? Keep their best player and 'cash cow' until hes 30/31 then STILL sell him for big, big money, when hes probably got a year or two left.

How many of you would feel happy with us buying him in the summer for 40 million? I know hes a top, top player, but hes getting on.

We want top players that are 25. I think its time to get players in of the mould of the younger players were being linked with. To me there doesnt seem to be many big names out there. Ribery is also getting on and is very injury prone now. The rest play for barca or madrid. Terry etc. are also getting on a bit.

Villa turned 29 about 2 weeks ago
Ribery is 26
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Clint Dempsey,Tim Cahill.

Cahill is only three years younger than Vieira and has played less games in past four seasons. Clint Dempsey is just decent player in below average team.

And they are both attacking midfielders.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
Nick wrote:FFS are we still ran by muppets?! 18 months????????! 140k?????????! He should be paying US to have a chance to play for the world cup. If he thinks hes got a guaranteed starting berth for that he can piss off.

Villa turned 29 about 2 weeks ago
Ribery is 26

Obviously Ribery is not too old, but he has had two very bad injuries in a year and wants to extend his current contract.

My mistake I thought Villa turned 30 this year. But would you be happy to spend 30/40 million (which is the minimum valencia would want) for someone that would be turning 30? Strikers need pace in the prem.

I just hate city being seen as financial mugs all the time.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Nick wrote:Fair enough, but best case scneario with a footballer that has no desire to play for city in particular; he plays well when fit until the summer to get in the France team. Then we extend his contract and he'll have no motivation at all / be injured for a year. Dont mean to be negative but I can just see that happening.

And where is the problem in that? We will get other players in the summer anyway, and it's not like he'd be lounging around the club for four years, only for one, and with our owner's wealth a year of Vieira wages is near to nothing.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Nick wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Nick wrote:

Fair enough, but best case scneario with a footballer that has no desire to play for city in particular; he plays well when fit until the summer to get in the France team. Then we extend his contract and he'll have no motivation at all / be injured for a year. Dont mean to be negative but I can just see that happening.

Which of our players have "desire to play for City in particular". Nedum maybe? Rest of them would be in Portsmouth or Stoke if Sheik had decided to buy either of them instead of us.

I've said this to you millions of times over the years, Stop being so naive.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Murtaz Shelia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't often write on here, but this is what I see...

1) Accounts have been released and the owner is putting his money where his mouth is, so wages etc., although obscene, do not need to be considered by us as fans - what we want is a successful football team.

2) We are a team of midgets generally, so against physical teams Vieira will be a massive plus, whilst he can also play the game the way Bobby wants.

3) We struggle to keep a tight ship with Tevez, Robbi and another forward on the pitch - who says it will not be Ireland or Petrov that will lose their place and then we play Barry, De Jong and Vieira together and then 3 v attacking players/forwards ahead?

Bobby will have a plan and I am willing to support him (In my humble opinion it will be a very good signing).
Murtaz Shelia
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Our most influential and creative player of last season has lost his mojo, if he was on fire, we would have hit a few teams for 6 this year. Maybe a creative player would be a better proposition?

Our DM position is over subscribed with Barry, NDJ, Kompany and Zabba (part time). People are now thinking Vieira is a good signing because we can leave Kompany as CB. Why not a buy a Decent CB as we know we need one and leave Kompany in DM FFS?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Our most influential and creative player of last season has lost his mojo, if he was on fire, we would have hit a few teams for 6 this year. Maybe a creative player would be a better proposition?

Our DM position is over subscribed with Barry, NDJ, Kompany and Zabba (part time). People are now thinking Vieira is a good signing because we can leave Kompany as CB. Why not a buy a Decent CB as we know we need one and leave Kompany in DM FFS?

My thoughts exactly wall.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby bellamys dodgy knee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 pm

The media like to hype these things up.

I would imagine any top line salary package would be linked to success on the pitch..
bellamys dodgy knee
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Our most influential and creative player of last season has lost his mojo, if he was on fire, we would have hit a few teams for 6 this year. Maybe a creative player would be a better proposition?

Barry is no holding midfielder, Kompany is better at centerback (imo), Zabaleta is fullback who can play there if needed (not natural). Besides Vieira is more of a strong box-to-boxer than out and out defensive midfielder.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Barry is no holding midfielder, Kompany is better at centerback (imo), Zabaleta is fullback who can play there if needed (not natural). Besides Vieira is more of a strong box-to-boxer than out and out defensive midfielder.

Vieira in his day was awesome and a player I would have loved at city. He WAS a strong box to boxer, not now.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:22 pm

None of them have ever let us down in that position before though.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:

Right now, Komapny is needed at the back and Zabba at right. Barry in his natural role.

Even when everyone is fit, we basically have three senior central midfielders in Barry, De Jong and Ireland. Surely you'd agree additions are needed?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Right now, Komapny is needed at the back and Zabba at right. Barry in his natural role.

Even when everyone is fit, we basically have three senior central midfielders in Barry, De Jong and Ireland. Surely you'd agree additions are needed?

Yes but i genuinely thought we would get a younger quality player.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Chinners » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Yes but i genuinely thought we would get a younger quality player.

In time I think we will. Vieira is the perfect stopgap for the remainder of this season
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby ronk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Dingus McDouchey wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
As a last thought, If he is still so fantastic. Why did Wenger think it was best for Arsenal to cash in on him 4 years ago? If he is so fantastic, why have Inter Milan decided he is not worth keeping and they are releasing him when they have some huge games coming up in the Champs league and Domestically?

what have Arsenal won since he left?
what have Inter won while he's been there?
surely that's something to consider

And what did Juve win while he was there?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum