jack grealish - what does he do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: jack grealish - what does he do?

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:18 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote::lol: I asked BiB the other week where Alex Jones is these days. He’s been here all along on this board judging by some of the comments.
The Sterling Left Out of Important Games Theory certainly seems to have the odour of Alt-right gaslighting.
Looking at the matches Sterling has started this season you might be correct.
I don’t think it’s on par with “Grealish is in rehab!” or “he doesn’t really have an injury and Pep is lying” :lol:

Edit: Sorry, did you just put that someone could be Alt-right for making a suggestion that Sterling doesn’t start the big games?! Wow.

you must have namechecked the lady on The One Show , my bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

I name checked someone that believes the earth is flat, on par with “Grealish is in rehab”. Not sure it’s similar with calling someone alt-right because they believe Sterling doesn’t start the big games.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:51 pm

Manchester City’s transfer policy means they can wait for Jack Grealish to reach their level

By Sam Lee Feb 18, 2022 37
Is there any player, or any position, that Manchester City would ever actually miss?

Their 5-0 win over Sporting Lisbon on Tuesday night made them the fastest team to reach 200 Champions League goals and not only did they get over the line without a striker, but it also could be argued they did it without a left-back or a right-back either.

And there was no need for their £100 million summer signing. Jack Grealish is expected to be out for another three or four weeks with a shin injury, as first reported by the Telegraph, despite a suggestion by Pep Guardiola after the story that he could be back within days. It is the same injury that kept Grealish out for three months this time last year when he was with Aston Villa.

Gabriel Jesus, a jack-of-all-trades forward who has helped City through many tough assignments, was not available for the last-16 tie’s first leg either, although he is expected to return to training next week.

The ease with which City swept past Sporting, while not even at their fluid best, means it makes little sense to dwell too much on what they didn’t have on the night, but the absence of Grealish and Jesus, as well as Kyle Walker, made for a surprisingly light-looking bench.

Had this been a tougher assignment and City needed a spark, the senior options available were Nathan Ake, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Fernandinho and Ilkay Gundogan. All excellent players — and Guardiola would probably find a way to get Gundogan inside the six-yard box as often as possible — but it’s hardly the array of attacking talent that might be expected.

There were five promising academy prospects on the bench, plus Brazilian teenager Kayky and 36-year-old reserve keeper Scott Carson, highlighting that City don’t have the biggest squad around.

The players who did the damage on the pitch in Lisbon were a reminder that they may not be the biggest, but surely they are the best.

You can’t call them that without acknowledging the money spent, but you can’t acknowledge the money spent without looking at what other clubs do with theirs.

It may seem like punching down but it really is such an obvious example that it bears repeating: Manchester United have the most expensively assembled squad in world football at present.

The Athletic showed that City have only spent more than £65 million on a single player once, whereas neighbours United have done it four times. Romelu Lukaku has already left, Paul Pogba could leave the club for free for a second time in the summer, and Harry Maguire is currently under fire for his performances. Jadon Sancho gets a pass, because it’s his first season at Old Trafford.

CIES Football Observatory research highlighted United as the biggest “net spenders” over the past decade, ahead of City in second, Paris Saint-Germain in third, Barcelona in fourth, Arsenal in fifth and Juventus in sixth. Bayern Munich and Liverpool in 14th and 15th, respectively, can probably feel pretty good about themselves (and they often do) but most of the top 10 serves as a list of football’s greatest underachievers.
CIES net spend since 2012
Manchester United
-€1075m
Manchester City
-€984m
Paris Saint-Germain
-€941m
Barcelona
-€650m
Arsenal
-€583m
Juventus
-€561m
AC Milan
-€432m
Everton
-€429m
Aston Villa
-€424m
Having lots of money helps most when you know what to do with it.

The article linked to above also shows City are responsible for 37.5 per cent (six of 16) of all transfers costing between £55 million and £64 million, which neatly highlights both their approach to the market — which has been very successful — and how much money they have been able to invest.

City’s finances have been the source of much controversy, with the Der Spiegel allegations that they breached UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules still being looked into the by Premier League, despite the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) dismissing the allegations, saying that there was “insufficient conclusive evidence” to uphold UEFA’s earlier finding against City, while some matters were too old to be subject to their processes.

All that intensifies the interest in Grealish, the first £100 million British footballer and the man who City broke their unofficial cap of £65 million to sign.

The real conversation around the 26-year-old should not be whether he should be getting more goals and assists given his price tag, but that City can afford to spend such a sum on one man and not even need him to drag them up a level immediately.

They can afford to wait for him to adapt his game, like the majority of their other recent signings, because of how well the group of players they have put together in the past four to five years is performing.

Is that awkward or admirable? It’s not easy, that’s for sure. Just look at that financial information again and find the big-spending clubs who can reinvent their brightest academy prospect as a false nine, or their rangy centre-half as a right-back, or their right-back — who previously hated playing on the left — as some sort of left-sided, deep-lying creative force.

It’s no wonder City are the subject of such debate and scrutiny.

It’s dizzying trying to keep up with them, both on and off the pitch.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:19 pm

Let’s all be honest here - if Grealish was out injured for the rest of the season , no one would really care.

We just don’t miss his input .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dimples » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:54 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Let’s all be honest here - if Grealish was out injured for the rest of the season , no one would really care.

Provided we don't get additional injuries to key players? The bench against Sporting was packed with potential not experience. This could bite us in a game against top opposition?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:25 pm

Dimples wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Let’s all be honest here - if Grealish was out injured for the rest of the season , no one would really care.

Provided we don't get additional injuries to key players? The bench against Sporting was packed with potential not experience. This could bite us in a game against top opposition?

Fair point .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:12 pm

really poor today
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john@staustell » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:really poor today

Yes, good the other day. Foden good today, shit the other.

Who'd be a manager?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:30 pm

Disagree, Jack the lad was ok today . people looking for something , when there is nothing .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:31 pm

I love him
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:42 pm

zuricity wrote:Disagree, Jack the lad was ok today . people looking for something , when there is nothing .

He was fairly bright but let himself down with that half chance to shoot first time in the box.

We have high expectations to be a game changer, so even if he doesn't play to expectations he is going to have to play anyway just so he has a chance to get there.
Needs to be braver and just go for it and shoot on sight regardless of fucking up, he learnt to 'intergrate' later imo
Seems to be doing it the other way round and has gone all cautious.

easy for me to say though init
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:52 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
zuricity wrote:Disagree, Jack the lad was ok today . people looking for something , when there is nothing .

He was fairly bright but let himself down with that half chance to shoot first time in the box.

We have high expectations to be a game changer, so even if he doesn't play to expectations he is going to have to play anyway just so he has a chance to get there.
Needs to be braver and just go for it and shoot on sight regardless of fucking up, he learnt to 'intergrate' later imo
Seems to be doing it the other way round and has gone all cautious.

easy for me to say though init

here's me thinking you are talking about Razza.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Dimples » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:08 pm

I thought Grealish was ok today.
He is serving his Pep apprenticeship so I don't expect him to shoot the lights out until next season.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby PeterParker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:15 am

Why is this fella getting so much hate? Because he is City?

Every touch he had on Sunday was booed by those inbred cunts from Soton and saw this happening at every away game in which he took part, even Swindon.
He is an England International, did not disrespect Villa at all, but is still a target.

Are fans that daft?

Regarding his play, I agree he should be better, but I don't get why he is getting so much stick, he has 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 games. Not great, but not bad also.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:26 am

PeterParker wrote:
Regarding his play, I agree he should be better, but I don't get why he is getting so much stick, he has 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 games. Not great, but not bad also.

You expect a player like him to win us games and not just add “something “ to them.
He’s been a disappointment up to now IMO .
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:35 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

You expect a player like him to win us games and not just add “something “ to them.
He’s been a disappointment up to now IMO .

He really should be doing better. He has done well in some games and not very well in others.
We're told he needs a year, like Mahrez. I hope that theory is right. And history repeats itself.

I just don't get rival fans booing him, why? Makes no sense.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:43 am

sheblue wrote:I just don't get rival fans booing him, why? Makes no sense.

Not even our rivals. Teams like Palace and Brighton booing him. It’s embarrassing because they’ll be loving him when England play.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:56 am

Mase wrote:

Not even our rivals. Teams like Palace and Brighton booing him. It’s embarrassing because they’ll be loving him when England play.
I think it must be as simple as that they believe the rhetoric that Sky and the BBC and virtually all other media outlets spoon have spoon fed them almost daily since the takeover about how we have ruined football, spent obscene amounts of money, bought the title(s), inflated the transfer market, disrespected other teams by thrashing them and basically are the root of all evil. And that the “old brigade” of the rags, dippers, Arsenal etc are paragons of virtue who enhance football.

If a lie is told often enough it isn’t long before it’s accepted as the truth
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:58 am

Mase wrote:

Exactly, everyone is booing him.
Media brainwash?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:06 am

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:

Media brainwash?

Didn't they all boo Sterling at one time? They all cheer him now, knowing he can't do them any harm :lol:
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dave watson's perm » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:

Media brainwash?

Didn't they all boo Sterling at one time? They all cheer him now, knowing he can't do them any harm :lol:

Purely and simply it's because he now plays for City and the Sheeple have to voice their outrage
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Paul Power

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum