WE CAME TO EASTLANDS FROM MAINE ROAD

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: WE CAME TO EASTLANDS FROM MAINE ROAD

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:53 pm

irblinx wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Either way it's shite.

Have to Disagree, it's got the words City and Manchester in, two of my favourites!!

Yes, but I get the feeling it was dicated by the City of Manchester council, and why Eastlands tacked on the end? Just as well have 'The City of Manchester Stadium at Eastlands Opposite ASDA'

How about:

The City Stadium

The Manchester City Stadium/arena

Eastlands?

It's just clumsy.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm

I dont care what they call it as long as week get shagloads of cash,id like Smirnoff area so they started stocking that shit behind the bars.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby irblinx » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm

john@staustell wrote:
irblinx wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Either way it's shite.

Have to Disagree, it's got the words City and Manchester in, two of my favourites!!

Yes, but I get the feeling it was dicated by the City of Manchester council, and why Eastlands tacked on the end? Just as well have 'The City of Manchester Stadium at Eastlands Opposite ASDA'

How about:

The City Stadium

The Manchester City Stadium/arena

Eastlands?

It's just clumsy.

I think you've imagined the Eastlands thing, I've never even seen Eastlands used as an official name for the area other than by Asda much less tagged onto the stadium name. The address is City of Manchester Stadium, SportCity, Manchester.

As the stadium was part funded by Sport England and first used for the Commonwealth games the name is totally appropriate, moving forward then by all means rename it but the fact that it proudly states that it is THE stadium in the City of Manchester is fine by me
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I have absolutely no emotional ties to the new ground at all so they can call it what they like for all I care

And those songs on that site that is linked are fucking shite

I do like it that someone hopes to introduce some new songs but the day I hear Boyzone song in ANY football ground will be the day something dies inside of me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 pm

Nearly all the fans i mingle with and talk to refer to it as Eastlands, so it will be forever Eastlands no matter which organisation tag their name on it. Even the Sky presenters call it Eastlands.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby steveo_88 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:57 pm

If it isn't broke don't fix it. City of Manchester stadium lets everyone know where and who is playing and Eastlands is an easy and recognisable short name pretty much used by everyone.

The only changes i would make would be to re-name/name the bars in the ground to give the place a stronger football and Manchester City related identity. For example you could have the Meredith or Rosler bar. Maybe re-name the north stand after a player, The Tony Book stand like the Bobby Moore stand at Upton Park might be a good start.
South Stand Blue

steveo_88

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby crossan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I have absolutely no emotional ties to the new ground at all so they can call it what they like for all I care

My feelings too IBH..............Maine road is gone as a physical entity but its still home to Manchester City.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby eastlandsblue.co.uk » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:55 am

Fish111 wrote:Nearly all the fans i mingle with and talk to refer to it as Eastlands, so it will be forever Eastlands no matter which organisation tag their name on it. Even the Sky presenters call it Eastlands.

Spot on - I slips easy off the tongue, so it should be included in a future song (Maybe when wev'e won something)
eastlandsblue.co.uk
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john68 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:25 am

crossan wrote:

My feelings too IBH..............Maine road is gone as a physical entity but its still home to Manchester City.

Abject nonsense...Maine Rd maybe your home for City but what about Clowes St, Thomas St, Donkey Common, Pink Bank Lane or Hyde Rd?...All of them have been HOME to Manchester City in some guise, at some time, even Kirkmanshulme Cricket Club and just off Reddish Lane. Eastlands is our present home just as maine Rd was when we were there and those other sites.

Are you aware that the move to Maine Rd, so insenced some of the City faithful in 1923 that not only did they refuse to go, but they set up another club...Manchester Central FC...(deliberately MCFC). Eastlands may not fire you up but it is the only home that some of the younger kids know and love.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:33 am

got to say I love eastlands. Even more so when you go away and see some of the shitholes at other gorunds
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby blootoof » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:44 am

lets all have a disco wrote:I dont care what they call it as long as week get shagloads of cash,id like Smirnoff area so they started stocking that shit behind the bars.

If we're going down that road what about 'The Whore House'?
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Guy Debord » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Eastlands is great. And I like the fact it's unofficial.

Sponsored stadiums are shit. When you change sponsor you have to change the name of the ground.

We would have played in the Thomas Cook arena, the Eidos Stadium and the First Direct Stadium.

The clubs history shouldn't be hijacked by some pisspot company for money. It's wrong.
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Typical City » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:56 am

How about the chicken balti pie stadium? With the exits sponsored by sultana? Who gives a sh1t what is's called, it's Eastlands - get over it. It's beautiful and the atmosphere was superb today and when we get a third tier on the ends it's gonna shit on the theatre of debt.
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:52 am

steveo_88 wrote:If it isn't broke don't fix it. City of Manchester stadium lets everyone know where and who is playing and Eastlands is an easy and recognisable short name pretty much used by everyone.

The only changes i would make would be to re-name/name the bars in the ground to give the place a stronger football and Manchester City related identity. For example you could have the Meredith or Rosler bar. Maybe re-name the north stand after a player, The Tony Book stand like the Bobby Moore stand at Upton Park might be a good start.

Yeah, I like the sound of City of Manchester Stadium which reflects the fact that we are the genuine Manchester club.
I have a feeling that if it is ever to be renamed, most probably it will be Etihad Stadium (the competion between Etihad and
Emirates goes on).
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:14 am

I do like our ground I have to say. I loved Maine Road but we have to move with the times and a new stadium was necessary, sad as it was to lose the old soul of Maine Road.

I think most peoples' continuing harking back to Maine Road is for two main reasons:

- lots of people fell in love with City there and
- the move to COMS broke up the big blocks of singers/atmosphere and pulled apart the community feeling of knowing those around you

It would have been brilliant to have kept the Kippax population together and have had a whole side of noise.

Anyway, in terms of names, couldn't care less what they do in terms of naming rights. I'll always call it Eastlands I think
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:14 am

Wonderwall wrote:got to say I love eastlands. Even more so when you go away and see some of the shitholes at other gorunds

I'm with WW. I think we are acting like spoiled brats over the whole thing. NO, it's not Maine Road and YES, I loved Maine Road as well but we have one of the best modern grounds in Europe and should be proud of it.

Even watching on television the brilliant atmosphere came through yesterday and I was thinking again what a brilliant ground COMS is when supporters get the ground bouncing.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Vhero » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 am

On that site it says hardly anybody calls it COMS and most people call it eastlands?? I hears COMS used the most. Plus its a knife in those rags as it makes out like its the feature stadium of Manchester (even though technically the only football stadium in Manchester).
COMS is easier to say also I think and easier to remember.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby eastlandsblue.co.uk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Vhero wrote:On that site it says hardly anybody calls it COMS and most people call it eastlands?? I hears COMS used the most. Plus its a knife in those rags as it makes out like its the feature stadium of Manchester (even though technically the only football stadium in Manchester).
COMS is easier to say also I think and easier to remember.

Can you tell me of one newspaper or radio station that refers to our ground as 'coms'? and you couldn't use it in a song or could you?
eastlandsblue.co.uk
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:34 pm

City Stadium, CoMS or Eastlands.......I like the informality. I wouldn't like a formal Etihad or Dhabi stadium, would you?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby the_georgian_genius » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:51 pm

I call it Eastlands
The Sun, Daily Mail, The Mirror, MEN, Telegraph, Observer, Guardian all call it Eastlands.
Away fans call it Eastlands.
Mark Hughes calls it Eastlands.
The players call it Eastlands.
Sky call it Eastlands.
ESPN call it Eastlands.
BBC call it Eastlands.
the_georgian_genius

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum