Barry: What does he do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Barry: What does he do?

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:40 pm

He was pushed way too far out of position today with literally no-one on the left for most of the game he was forced to sit out there and really doesn't have the pace or trickery to get around fullbacks, sold short by de Jong and Ireland on a couple of occasions but seems to have perfected the Hamann bum thrust, fall over, win freekick trick. I think he would work a lot better with more movement in the midfield as Ireland's running away from goal one touch back to the defenders is not enough and was the only thing we were getting out of our midfield today. Worked a lot better with Bellamy when he was pushed further into the park, playing our one out and out left winger on the left(shock fucking horror) might help too. Defo in need of a rest though, operation or not.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bluej » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Slim wrote:He was pushed way too far out of position today with literally no-one on the left for most of the game he was forced to sit out there and really doesn't have the pace or trickery to get around fullbacks, sold short by de Jong and Ireland on a couple of occasions but seems to have perfected the Hamann bum thrust, fall over, win freekick trick. I think he would work a lot better with more movement in the midfield as Ireland's running away from goal one touch back to the defenders is not enough and was the only thing we were getting out of our midfield today. Worked a lot better with Bellamy when he was pushed further into the park, playing our one out and out left winger on the left(shock fucking horror) might help too. Defo in need of a rest though, operation or not.

Pretty much spot on by my reckoning.

Wasn't he rested before Chelsea at home and looked more on the ball then?
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Ive been saying this for a while, i was expecting big things from barry after the media hyped him to be in the top 4 best premier league midfielders. The reason he bugs me is that when city counter attack he waits then waits some more and plays then ball sideways. Instead of playing a one touch ball straight onto one of the runners. He is a great player to have when you want to play a slow pace to the game but the way mark hughes bought the players we have and the way he set them up was for counter attcking football.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 pm

He was a great signing. Then he went to Villa park. The man has never recovered since the boos and jeering. He's barely deserving of a starting place going off his form the previous 2 months or so.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby irblinx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm

He looks overweight and unfit, if the rumours of him needing an op are true then we should send him now
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:20 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:He was a great signing. Then he went to Villa park. The man has never recovered since the boos and jeering. He's barely deserving of a starting place going off his form the previous 2 months or so.

maybe the villa fans giving him a roasting about coming for the money, had an effect on him and made him realise he did come for the money.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm

His problem in the first half was that he was played out on the left wing, he has no pace so he was crap there. He improved abit in the second-half but was still not at his best.

Looks like he really does need to have that op.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Been well documented that he has been playing with an injury for about 2- 3months, needs rest I reckon. he was excellent for the first couple of months.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:41 pm

I like Barry a lot and think he offers way much more to the team than people give him credit for.

Maybe Barry is not the problem, maybe the manager should stop fucking around and play people in their right positions
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I like Barry a lot and think he offers way much more to the team than people give him credit for.

Maybe Barry is not the problem, maybe the manager should stop fucking around and play people in their right positions

I agree cause its obvious to anyone that city look unbalanced. But i stand by my thought on barry slowing the play down. But then again he wasnt meant to be an attacking midfielder , And the only attacking midfielder we have is stevie.
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:56 pm

Looking after himself for the World Cup.

I would drop him as soon as we can.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Would I be out of order in writing that I think Barry is F*ckin average and a major disappointment so far this season ?

Because he is.......

This guy should not be surprised if he gets dumped on the bench - big transfer fee or not .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm

The problem is that he has played 442 for many years with Villa, and within that he has been the central mid who stays back while the other chap (at Villa, Petrov) does the forward runs. This is why he looks good for Englang alongside Gerrard or Lampard doing the forward runs.

Now he is being told to make forward runs because De Jong is doing the sitting back in front of the back four. Barry is effective at doing certain things, but we have bought him and asked him to do different things that are not his strength.

Personally I think De Jong and Barry should be swapped. De Jong would be more effective going box to box and leave Barry covering the back 4. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure Mancini has something in mind that Barry does for him.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:40 pm

I have been thinking this for a while now and actually kept an eye on him today, on and off the ball (as much as you can see on tv that is). And to be truthfull I didnt see much of anyhting positive.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 pm

I think Barrys best role is the Hamann role. Sitting deep and being the quarterback so to speak in the middle directing the play to the playmakers up top. He can pass the ball very well and work it around the midfield quickly.

De Jong has his moments but hes 1 dimensional and is only handy against teams who send midfield players forwards otherwise he has noone to pick up and he can control or pass the ball well enough to play the hamann. He's like a better version of Gelson Fernandes.

I'd use De Jong as a situational player and Barry where ive described. His ability would give midfield partners the chance to get forward.

Sven had the mix right in midfield with Hamann and Johnson. We need to recreate this kind of central midfield. Ade as the Mpenza, Tevez as the Elano, Petrov as the Petrov, Vieira as the Johnson, SWP as the Ireland.

I liked that Sven formation alot, it would work a treat with better players like we have now.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby bluej » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Slightly OT but De Jong played a peach of a pass out to Petrov in the second half to start an attack, it was more of one you might see from Ireland - hasn't someone said he used to play further forward for Hamburg?
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm

bluej wrote:Slightly OT but De Jong played a peach of a pass out to Petrov in the second half to start an attack, it was more of one you might see from Ireland - hasn't someone said he used to play further forward for Hamburg?

He was a right-back for ajax, think he started off there for Hamburg too but when they gave him steroids he turned into a holding midfielder. Used to be a quick, skinny, pretty skilfull right-back who liked to get forward.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I like Barry a lot and think he offers way much more to the team than people give him credit for.

You don't like 'the manager' do you?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
bluej wrote:Slightly OT but De Jong played a peach of a pass out to Petrov in the second half to start an attack, it was more of one you might see from Ireland - hasn't someone said he used to play further forward for Hamburg?

He was a right-back for ajax, think he started off there for Hamburg too but when they gave him steroids he turned into a holding midfielder. Used to be a quick, skinny, pretty skilfull right-back who liked to get forward.

You wouldnt think it looking at him now. I remember him from Ajax at right back (late night dutch football n channel 5 was a ritual for me at uni), he could pass the ball then and had pretty tight control.

Either he doesnt have the confidence to be more adventurous or he's just not good enough to do that in the Prem. Today would have been a prime oppotunity for him to get about a bit and join attacks. He was doing nothing in the holding role.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Grob wrote:I think Barrys best role is the Hamann role. Sitting deep and being the quarterback so to speak in the middle directing the play to the playmakers up top. He can pass the ball very well and work it around the midfield quickly.

De Jong has his moments but hes 1 dimensional and is only handy against teams who send midfield players forwards otherwise he has noone to pick up and he can control or pass the ball well enough to play the hamann. He's like a better version of Gelson Fernandes.

I'd use De Jong as a situational player and Barry where ive described. His ability would give midfield partners the chance to get forward.

Sven had the mix right in midfield with Hamann and Johnson. We need to recreate this kind of central midfield. Ade as the Mpenza, Tevez as the Elano, Petrov as the Petrov, Vieira as the Johnson, SWP as the Ireland.

I liked that Sven formation alot, it would work a treat with better players like we have now.

I'd be surprised if Vieira has the legs to play any role other than the Hamann one nowardays. The admittedly few times I've seen him recently he's looked fairly stationary.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum