Enjoying the Game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What Are You Looking for In Watching City

HURRAH and clap-clap-clap. I'm always happy, me. Regardless of what happens on the pitch. It's City after all.
6%
Winning first and foremost. That's what football is all about. If I want to be entertained, I go to bleeding ballet.
36%
I want manager to play the same way I see the game. I'm tactical mastermind and so should our manager be.
7%
I want to see blood and grit. And 4-4-2. Shankly once said that football is simple game made complicated by people who should know better. That man knew the score.
19%
I want to see Joga Bonito. Style, flair and skill. I want to be entertained and see quality individual performances as well as team performances. Results are secondary but of course I always hope for win.
27%
I just follow City out of habit and I'm not sure I've cared either way for a long time.
4%

Total votes : 67

Re: Enjoying the Game

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:52 am

Nickyboy wrote:
Svensational wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
That's one view about CURRENT situation. But what I'm looking for here is the way YOU see watching City. What gives you most pleasure. Regardless who is manager and how much money we have and where we are.

Like I said, there isnt an option for what my view is.

Which is

"RESULTS ARE PRIORITY BUT A BIT OF ENTERTAINMENT WOULDNT GO A MISS"

Same here - and if the groans that were reverberating around the ground last night are a sign then a lot of fans feel the same.

As i'm 29 and never seen us win fcuk all at the moment winning is top priority just so i can have my 'moment in the sun'.

Long term i'd be happy with consistently being in the top 6 with high possiblity of silverwear every season, but being entertained!!!

lets play two out and out wingers and terrorise defences!!!

That's four out of six options in one post! Don't be greedy!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:57 am

Nickyboy wrote:
Svensational wrote:
That's one view about CURRENT situation. But what I'm looking for here is the way YOU see watching City. What gives you most pleasure. Regardless who is manager and how much money we have and where we are.

Like I said, there isnt an option for what my view is.

Which is

"RESULTS ARE PRIORITY BUT A BIT OF ENTERTAINMENT WOULDNT GO A MISS"

Same here - and if the groans that were reverberating around the ground last night are a sign then a lot of fans feel the same.

As i'm 29 and never seen us win fcuk all at the moment winning is top priority just so i can have my 'moment in the sun'.

Long term i'd be happy with consistently being in the top 6 with high possiblity of silverwear every season, but being entertained!!!

lets play two out and out wingers and terrorise defences!!!

That's four out of six options in one post! Don't be greedy!

maybe that proves that i'm a typical fickle football fan who constantly changes his mind....
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 am

It doesn't cover my opinions either. I've gone for the 'flair' option but would like a mixture of flair, grit & violence, tactical organisation, simplicity & success, which is what Arsenal & the rags etc have had & we had under Mercer/Allison so I don't think it's unreasonable with our resources.

If the only way we can win is to play the way we're doing now then I'll celebrate the victories for a year or two then trade in my season ticket for an armchair as it's no fun to watch live & is going to be like a morgue in the ground apart from the odd groan.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby symiblue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 am

Judging by the way the team was set up last night, there should be a "don't lose at any cost" option! I wondered whether Roberto had a wobble when he realised he had two wide men on the pitch at the same time and quickly pulled Johnson off.

I've voted for the flair option although it doesn't really sum up my view. I want wins but with some entertainment as well. The only times that I've ever needed to motivate myself to get out to watch them are when Pearce and Reid were in charge, particularly Reid. During those times, supporting them had become a habit rather than a pleasurable experience.The thought of grinding out results against all-comers is depressing - can accept it against to some extent against other top teams but not at home to the likes of Bolton.

I'm hoping the overly cautious approach by Mancini is temporary and that in the longer term we will see a more positive approach....but I'm not convinced.
"That's great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on."
John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker did not know who he was.
symiblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Bellamy

Postby Mike J » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 am

ant london wrote:If you want a proper answer then what Svensational said. I want to win but I want to enjoy watching the match to some degree.

But if you want some comments....fucking stupid thread and cuntish poll to try and justify your own laughably stubborn stance.

That's absolute horseshit.

One of the reasons why football is such great game, is the fact that people see it very differently and people have differnt ideas and ideals about the game.

If you and some other people can't see the point behind it at all, a genuine interest, then don't bother.

Options were made to sound extreme because I honestly believe every person falls into one of those categories with different emphasis. Of course everyone ould love us to win every game by breathtaking football 10-0 playing simple yet efective tactics. But that will never ever happen. Point is, what makes YOU happy.

Furthermore you and some other people don't need to step in every fucking topic hurling insults and trying to cause non-football related argument.

Ant and sven were right though. i want the option that sven said and ant was correct about you being stubborn ;-)
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

Chelsea won the league under Mourihno playing shit football and that's a fact...I would happily take that at City
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Chelsea won the league under Mourihno playing shit football and that's a fact...I would happily take that at City

you may have to
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am

Svensational wrote:Theres no option for

"Results are priority, but a bit of entertainment wouldnt go a miss"

That would be my vote, thanks.

Absolutely, but at the same time if we played fucking mint but didn't win a la 4-3 derby then I'm still happy with that.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Chelsea won the league under Mourihno playing shit football and that's a fact...I would happily take that at City

you may have to

If it's the difference between losing 4-3 and winning 1-0 i'd take the latter every time...results win the silver...not entertaining...just ask Arsenal over the past few years
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:18 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:

you may have to

I'm not a Mourinho fan but Chelsea weren't this bad, just disappointing because they were obviously capable of so much more.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:38 am

I'm on my own a bit with my opinions. I'm a football fan first and a City fan second. Football is my entertainment. I don't go to the theatre, ballet, theme parks or other such activities people do to take their mind of work. I just go and watch football for the love of seeing great players playing a great game.

When we lose to better opposition on the day or some superb piece of skill I actually love to witness it in the flesh. Over the years I've been blown away by some performances against us including Bergkamp, Zola, Henry even god forbid Rooney (yes he is an amazing footballer you know!). When we lost 5-0 to Arsenal I went away from that game happy that I was there to witness such entertainment.

Of course I love seeing City win, and get grumpy for the entire night when we lose to teams that have not played football against us. Hull away been the prime example the last week.

But to me winning is not the be all and end all for me. If that was the case I probably would have decided to support Liverpool when I started watching football as a kid.

And because of this attitude I can usually give very good unbiased analysis of tactics and the game.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:I'm on my own a bit with my opinions. I'm a football fan first and a City fan second. Football is my entertainment. I don't go to the theatre, ballet, theme parks or other such activities people do to take their mind of work. I just go and watch football for the love of seeing great players playing a great game.

When we lose to better opposition on the day or some superb piece of skill I actually love to witness it in the flesh. Over the years I've been blown away by some performances against us including Bergkamp, Zola, Henry even god forbid Rooney (yes he is an amazing footballer you know!). When we lost 5-0 to Arsenal I went away from that game happy that I was there to witness such entertainment.

Of course I love seeing City win, and get grumpy for the entire night when we lose to teams that have not played football against us. Hull away been the prime example the last week.

But to me winning is not the be all and end all for me. If that was the case I probably would have decided to support Liverpool when I started watching football as a kid.

And because of this attitude I can usually give very good unbiased analysis of tactics and the game.

That's a sound post mate and I can fully appreciate that approach. I do look for result first and foremost but equally I can understand people who look for sublime skill and talent first and foremost, may it be for us or the opposition.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:But to me winning is not the be all and end all for me.

Are you and Antti out of your tiny little minds?!

Winning is everything...this whole 'I support City so I don't care' bollox is exactly that...complete bollocks

I didn't start supporting city because I wanted to follow a team that doesn't win things...that would be quite frankly fucking stupid

I wasn't to know i'd still be here...34 years later waiting for some silverware

It just happened that way...to say you'd rather watch us play well and lose is absurd
Last edited by Beeks on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 am

It'd be nice to play total football, i'd like to see that but in this league to win things, 99% of the time you have to win ugly.

We tried being fancy under Keegan and while a good watch we got a pasting at times and nothing makes you feel more shit than a loss.

So for me the win is most important.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:I'm on my own a bit with my opinions. I'm a football fan first and a City fan second. Football is my entertainment. I don't go to the theatre, ballet, theme parks or other such activities people do to take their mind of work. I just go and watch football for the love of seeing great players playing a great game.

what a fantastic post, that's exactly the way I feel!

Also, IBH - ask Arsenal how you win trophies? They went UNBEATEN playing some of the most entertaining football the world has ever seen, so I'm not gettin you there at all.

What we are witnessing is pure dross. Absolute paint drying, frustrating football and I hate it.

This is supposed to be the most exciting time I've ever had as a city fan and its not.

There, I've said it - sorry Antti, I couldn't find that option in your completely fair poll.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Are you two out of your tiny little minds?!

Winning is everything...this whole 'I support City so I don't care' bollox is exactly that...complete bollocks

I didn't start supporting city because I wanted to follow a team that doesn't win things...that would be quite frankly fucking stupid

I wasn't to know i'd still be here...34 years later waiting for some silverware

It just happened that way...to say you'd rather watch us play well and lose is absurd

If you are referring to me, you need to read the topic again. I'm first and foremost "winning is everything" man. I'm super happy whenever we win, even if we have played poorly.... in fact sometimes even more so! Good performance on a game we lose gives me no comfort whatsoever.

BUT I can still appreciate the fact that many people seek enjoyment from other parts of the game as well. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Kladze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:06 am

I agree with this.
I can remember a game at Maine Road when Glen Hoddle ripped us apart with a succession of pinpoint 50 yard diagonal passes. I remarked that "Hoddle has been worth the admission price on his own" and was looked at as if I was from a different planet. Hey ho.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:10 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:If you are referring to me, you need to read the topic again. I'm first and foremost "winning is everything" man. I'm super happy whenever we win, even if we have played poorly.... in fact sometimes even more so! Good performance on a game we lose gives me no comfort whatsoever.

Just read your previous posts

apologies ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

I can understand people being desperate because we don't win trophies but after winning some trophies there has to be
entertainment at some point or why not just read the results on the net if winning is all that matters?

I can put up with this poor football in the short term if it's absolutely neccessary & it succeeds but at some point I'd just lose interest like many long term blues did under Pearce. A lot of blues I know have still not come back.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I can understand people being desperate because we don't win trophies but after winning some trophies there has to be entertainment at some point .

Lets just get to the winning trophies part first before we worry about how entertaining we are Teddy ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum