Wright-Phillips turns down new contract.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wright-Phillips turns down new contract.

Postby blue wine » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 am

john@staustell wrote:
blue wine wrote:swp is my favorite player, but I think it good that he turned it down.. he has 2.5 years left.. thats along time and alot can happen!
wait another year and then start to talk about a new contracts, he might get injured or out off form and we will be saving money.

But I'm sure you will agree he has been playing very badly, as per the posts above?

In which case he needs to start earning the wages he's on first.

I dont think he is playing badly.. i though he had a great start to the season (even a MOTM for england), then after the bolton game when he got injured is form did dip..(what can happen) but under bobby he hasnt had a decent chance to shine yet.
but i think alot of people tend to forget that swp used to be or one of our only "stars"! we have some great players now so he wont stand out as much as he used to!
and the think some fans were giving him some false stick, just because he started ahead of weiss and everyone thought weiss would be better choice! but weiss cant even start a game for bolton!
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Patrick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 am

lunacy

its not as though there are half a dozen clubs out there chasing him and offering more money

tie him into performance bonuses if he needs more money
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:20 am

sandman wrote: the little fucking nearly was can get fucked

lovely
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 am

I don't think SWP will be worth the contract he's on now in 2 years. I think he's peaked & is losing pace. He'll be very very lucky to still be in the team then as unfortunately he has no football brain so for all his enthusiasm, unlike Giggs etc who learned to compensate, he's not getting any better at crossing or retaining the ball or general football; just makes the same mistakes as he did at 20 but no longer has quite the same pace or fitness.

He's got a lot of learning to do if he wants to stay at the club after that, never mind getting a pay rise.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 am

firstly - i'd takle this with a pinch od salt and is probably press bollox.

secondly - i think SWP has had a decent season. Not as electryfying as when he was a youngster and used to dash the length of the pitch and bang one in, but he always gets the ball, turns and has a go. Even if he stumbles over the ball, the next time he gets it he tries the same again, and again and again - no matter how many times he gets kicked - he keeps his head up and works the entire time he's on the pitch

He manages a quick burst and lifts the crowd, he tracks back 30 yards and tackles and lifts the crowd

he creates at least one or two 'clear cut' chances during almost every match and his work rate box to box is phenominal.

He should be on paryity with others at least.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby ashton287 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 am

ant london wrote:Ah good to see that Shaun looks to still have excellent judgement in choosing and listening to advisors.

If he'd been on fire this season he'd be in a pretty strong position to do this.

Unfortunately we've seen more dire than fire.

Up your game Shauny and you'll get the greenbacks you desire. You currently don't warrant them

He's not had the best of seasons by his own standards but i can see where he's coming fromif toure and bridge are on more then him and he has contributed more then both put together, i'd even say given effort and performance he should be on just as much as adebayor. But still got 2 years left so were not exactly going to be held to ransom
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am

The wag structure are our club definitely has to be reviewed we cannot continue to offer average/decent players like Bridge and Toure superstar wages imho.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

avoidconfusion wrote:The wag structure are our club definitely has to be reviewed we cannot continue to offer average/decent players like Bridge and Toure superstar wages imho.

Please tell me more on the clubs WAG structure. I agree we should not let the quality of WAG which Bridge was associated with anywhere near our club.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

ashton287 wrote:
ant london wrote:Ah good to see that Shaun looks to still have excellent judgement in choosing and listening to advisors.

If he'd been on fire this season he'd be in a pretty strong position to do this.

Unfortunately we've seen more dire than fire.

Up your game Shauny and you'll get the greenbacks you desire. You currently don't warrant them

He's not had the best of seasons by his own standards but i can see where he's coming fromif toure and bridge are on more then him and he has contributed more then both put together, i'd even say given effort and performance he should be on just as much as adebayor. But still got 2 years left so were not exactly going to be held to ransom

I think Ted has it about right with this - with where we are going, I doubt very much that SWP is going to be anywhere near the first team in 18 months time. Added to that, if Mourinho comes in he will be nowhere near the first team after this summer and would be better for SWP to be sold.

The club would be fucking mental to even be considering an extension to his contract at this stage imo.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes some of the guys around him are no better than he is yet getting a lot more so I can see why he wants to cash in. But after 30 he's unlikely to be the player he is now. Loved him from the moment he came in, loved that first goal against Millwall and that amazing one at Arsenal, loved him when he came back from Chelski but he's never quite been top class, a case of nearly but not quite, and Mourninho understood that. Two years time and Sunderland will come calling.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby petrov » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 pm

hes not worth anymore than 60k a week, for a little man he sure has a big head.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 pm

petrov wrote:hes not worth anymore than 60k a week, for a little man he sure has a big head.

I think we have to take this story for what it is.

A story with no quotes, which has been brought up during a week when Mancini is copping flak from all quarters. Realistically, this could have happened the other day, or even last year under Hughes - its just a convenient time for the story.

On top of that, how many times have we seen stories like this about players from other clubs - every week? Is it not standard issue to pooh-pooh the first contract offer, the agent wouldnt be doing his job otherwise.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby crossan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Does'nt it just piss you off with these money grabbing footballers from any club including our own?its no wonder that the possibility of clubs going bust is getting closer and closer.There should be a wage cap on all clubs to prevent these 'mercanary bastards' from continually ruining the game..I would make an example of the midget ( so called) winger and help him to get reaquainted with a permanent bench role just like he had at Chelsea.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
sandman wrote: the little fucking nearly was can get fucked

lovely

FANtastic
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 pm

crossan wrote:Does'nt it just piss you off with these money grabbing footballers from any club including our own?its no wonder that the possibility of clubs going bust is getting closer and closer.There should be a wage cap on all clubs to prevent these 'mercanary bastards' from continually ruining the game..I would make an example of the midget ( so called) winger and help him to get reaquainted with a permanent bench role just like he had at Chelsea.

I don't know. Just asked raise myself so would be hypocritical of me to moan when someone does the same.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
crossan wrote:Does'nt it just piss you off with these money grabbing footballers from any club including our own?its no wonder that the possibility of clubs going bust is getting closer and closer.There should be a wage cap on all clubs to prevent these 'mercanary bastards' from continually ruining the game..I would make an example of the midget ( so called) winger and help him to get reaquainted with a permanent bench role just like he had at Chelsea.

I don't know. Just asked raise myself so would be hypocritical of me to moan when someone does the same.

NQDP you money grabbing whore.

You're a right tart chancing your arm asking for a raise with some of the "performances" from you over the last year. Constantly running into people, rarely delivering and not being able to finish any attack you started.

Bollox, I say we let you keep running into brick walls until two years have passed and then get you the fuck off this board asap.

I'll drive you to Bluemoon myself.

Fucking raise indeed.
Original Dub

Postby One cap Whitey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Who will he (his advisors) find thats willing to pay him more than 60k per week? City are probably offering him some kind of pay rise with the new deal, albeit not a huge increase.

Which clubs would want him that can pay £100k per week? Genuine question,but I doubt there'd be many takers. Let them have a look round and then come back and sign the deal. Of course saying he never wanted to go anyway.....
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby mr_nool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

NQDP you money grabbing whore.

You're a right tart chancing your arm asking for a raise with some of the "performances" from you over the last year. Constantly running into people, rarely delivering and not being able to finish any attack you started.

Bollox, I say we let you keep running into brick walls until two years have passed and then get you the fuck off this board asap.

I'll drive you to Bluemoon myself.

Fucking raise indeed.

Not to mention flooding the whole City of Helsinki ...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Nickyboy wrote:firstly - i'd takle this with a pinch od salt and is probably press bollox.

secondly - i think SWP has had a decent season. Not as electryfying as when he was a youngster and used to dash the length of the pitch and bang one in, but he always gets the ball, turns and has a go. Even if he stumbles over the ball, the next time he gets it he tries the same again, and again and again - no matter how many times he gets kicked - he keeps his head up and works the entire time he's on the pitch

Exactly mate. That's the problem!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:firstly - i'd takle this with a pinch od salt and is probably press bollox.

Exactly mate. That's the problem!

haha - i meant it in a positive way - about not having negative body language and the courage to keep plugging away - and he generally goes on to make something happen during a match
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum