Nigel

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Nigel

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Yet further confirmation that for those with eyes, Nige is utter gash. Feck me, this bloke even managed to be late on Jimmy Bullard. Now that takes some doing,lol
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

no coincidence that City are TOP of the tackling league with a 78% success rate.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Yet further confirmation that for those with eyes, Nige is utter gash. Feck me, this bloke even managed to be late on Jimmy Bullard. Now that takes some doing,lol

This in no way confirms to me that De Jong is "utter gash".

I can't speak for everyone else (or should I say, the other "idiots") but I like De Jong and I think just like all holding midfielders, when the game is a midfield battle he normally comes out on top and when the game passes the midfield by via long balls etc, then he looks annonymous.

In tactical games agaisnt the top sides he has been fantastic IMO, but football is there for interpretation I suppose... each to their own and all that...
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:I'm not a fan of De Jong anyway (that's probably obvious)
Too many fans applaud him because he "get's stuck in" etc. But he doesn't stick to his position and protect the back four which means mancini has to play Barry in the same team. He runs around the pitch making silly tackles instead of being disciplined and staying in front of the back four.
Then idiots come on here calling him "pitbull"

De Jong has had MOTM performances against Arsenal and Chelsea this season. I think he's been incredibly disciplined in some of his performances which allows some of the other players to get forwards. There's always been defensive aspects to Barry's Game, too.

Not really a fair assessment to make when you start your post with an admittance that you're not a Fan of him.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby ant london » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:Then idiots come on here calling him "pitbull"

do they really grasshopper?

I think you are confusing thy canines

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm

I want players at our club who will back up other players when needed. I think Nigel is one of those players. It still makes me sick when I see Ke*ne's tackle on Alfie and not one City player went over to back up Alfie and they just let that rag twat stand over him shouting at him. I think even one City player put his arm around the cunt. I think if that happened now there would be quite a few players ready to leather Ke*ne and Nige would be one of them!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:no coincidence that City are TOP of the tackling league with a 78% success rate.

I suppose thats a good thing but to me I think NDJ contribution to that stat is no more than it should be, for the position he plays, other midfielders we have are more effective.Thats what he is supposed to do.
Nigel may go in hard but I dont think he is anymore effective than others doing the same job.
And saying he is gash seems a bit OTT but I do think he is in a position where we could do without him for the expense of a more creative player like Stevie or Paddy and still be as defensivley sound.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:no coincidence that City are TOP of the tackling league with a 78% success rate.

I suppose thats a good thing but to me I think NDJ contribution to that stat is no more than it should be, for the position he plays, other midfielders we have are more effective.Thats what he is supposed to do.
Nigel may go in hard but I dont think he is anymore effective than others doing the same job.
And saying he is gash seems a bit OTT but I do think he is in a position where we could do without him for the expense of a more creative player like Stevie or Paddy and still be as defensivley sound.

I would not drop De Jong to start Vieira based on what I've seen so far!
Original Dub

Postby ant london » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 pm

MaseCTID wrote:I want players at our club who will back up other players when needed. I think Nigel is one of those players. It still makes me sick when I see Ke*ne's tackle on Alfie and not one City player went over to back up Alfie and they just let that rag twat stand over him shouting at him. I think even one City player put his arm around the cunt. I think if that happened now there would be quite a few players ready to leather Ke*ne and Nige would be one of them!

Nigel
Vincent
Pablo
Craig
Carlos
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:30 pm

ant london wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:I want players at our club who will back up other players when needed. I think Nigel is one of those players. It still makes me sick when I see Ke*ne's tackle on Alfie and not one City player went over to back up Alfie and they just let that rag twat stand over him shouting at him. I think even one City player put his arm around the cunt. I think if that happened now there would be quite a few players ready to leather Ke*ne and Nige would be one of them!

Nigel
Vincent
Pablo
Craig
Carlos

Micah was ready to fill in Delap as well last season when he booted the ball at SWP. Lescott is a big lad as well who I reckon wouldn't mind a scrap.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

I wouldn't either but I don't think Vieira has been any worse than anyone else in the games I've seen & the stats seem to back that up. He's just been copping it because he's new. DeJong's the best we've got at what he does though.

Personally in the long term though I want us to find 2 alround midfielders (ala Ke***e, Ince, younger Vieira) to do that job in the future & not rely on one dimensional players.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

I would.
At least Paddy seems to be able to pass it forward and for me seems to be able to tackle as good as Nigel.
Surely its not NDJ passing that people are saying is exceptional about his game.Its his tackling.And for me the from what I have seen other members of our team are as good.They may not be as "hard" in the tackle as NDJ but I see them as effective.
The fact that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything creative or difficult and has to keep it simple makes me think we could play just as well without him.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

I would.
At least Paddy seems to be able to pass it forward and for me seems to be able to tackle as good as Nigel.
Surely its not NDJ passing that people are saying is exceptional about his game.Its his tackling.And for me the from what I have seen other members of our team are as good.They may not be as "hard" in the tackle as NDJ but I see them as effective.
The fact that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything creative or difficult and has to keep it simple makes me think we could play just as well without him.

Like Mascherano and makele before him, players of De Jong's ilk are there purely to guard the backline and he does that very well IMO.

But Liverpool and Chelsea are/were worse teams when thee respective players weren't in them. I believe we are a worse team without De Jong, for whatever reason, be it the "hard" quality, the crunching tackles, the discipline to cover areas that attackers most want the ball in and not stray.... whatever reason like I said... We are a better team with him in it IMO and as we grow more disciplined as a unit, he will prosper.
Original Dub

Postby superkev8705 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 pm

He protects the back four and is put their to win the ball and pass it which he does well. Never tries any sort of stupid pass. He keeps it simple. Good player and will be hard to shift. Nigel De Jong or Gelson Fernandes??? hmmmmm
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby superkev8705 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 pm

*Posted twice
Last edited by superkev8705 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

I would.

Like Mascherano and makele before him, players of De Jong's ilk are there purely to guard the backline and he does that very well IMO.

But Liverpool and Chelsea are/were worse teams when thee respective players weren't in them. I believe we are a worse team without De Jong, for whatever reason, be it the "hard" quality, the crunching tackles, the discipline to cover areas that attackers most want the ball in and not stray.... whatever reason like I said... We are a better team with him in it IMO and as we grow more disciplined as a unit, he will prosper.

As good as he is at the role, I think the questionmark is more about the one dimensional nature of that role. Mascherano and Makalele are not reknowned for doing much other than breaking up play and platform for a new attack, but at least they get the ball to where it needs to go rather than just giving it away then having to run round looking angry till you get it back.

Chelsea moved on from Makalele with Essien, a man who does everything. Arsenal only let Vieira go because of Fabregas' emergence, Liverpool are lucky that to complement Mascherano, they have Gerrard. We unfortunately aren't in the position of any of those 3 clubs with De Jong, Barry, Vieira and Ireland, as all are too limited to fulfil more than one role as per Gerrard, Fabregas, Essien, and in reality, none of our players really truly excel at even one aspect of midfield play if you count midfield play as being one or more of the following:

Break down play and setup for attack
All rounder, pass, tackle, pace, heading
Creative midfielder, through balls, create space, get forward/arrive late in box
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby ryanmjo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm an American, so I watched the whole match yesterday. Nigel also had another bad moment in the second half, he lost the ball at the top of his own box and then took a massive dive.

I love Nige, he's been great for us this year in my opinion, but he was quite the c*** yesterday
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Kyle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:48 pm

ryanmjo wrote:I'm an American, so I watched the whole match yesterday. Nigel also had another bad moment in the second half, he lost the ball at the top of his own box and then took a massive dive.

I love Nige, he's been great for us this year in my opinion, but he was quite the c*** yesterday

I would have to agree, I love De Jong and he is probably one of my favorite city players, but he had a pretty bad game yesterday. With that said, the challenge warranted a yellow and he got one, is there much more to say?
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby bobadji » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Can't believe some of the de Jong hate on here. Aye, it was a nasty tackle but the lad has been so influential for us this season.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

bobadji wrote:Can't believe some of the de Jong hate on here. Aye, it was a nasty tackle but the lad has been so influential for us this season.

totally agree bob.

NDJ is one of the main reasons we are pushing for CL, he has been fantastic this season and I would only swap him for Essien (who as someone said has everything, awesome player). NDJ is a bloody good player and we would really miss him if he didnt play.... STOKE ANYONE?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum