PHIL BROWN "SACKED"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: PHIL BROWN "SACKED"

Postby Esky » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 am

Colin the King wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Hughes shouldn’t sell himself that short, Love him or hate him his sacking drew a large amount of media sympathy and the rights and wrongs of his sacking still hang over us so his stock really isn’t that low. His time with us would have raised his international profile somewhat as well.

What I don’t get about British managers like Hughes who is a decent manager (but maybe not the right one for us) who has been there done that in the lower/mid premiership level and will never get a chance at one of the top clubs again. Is why do they trawl round doing the same jobs when they could go abroad and try a new league and style of play. Test themselves out of there comfort zone. I’d much rather go coach at a top side in Germany or Holland than manage Blackburn or Hull.

Exactly.

Steve McClaren, for all his faults, was open-minded enough to go to Holland and try his hand at management over there. No nasty tabloids on his back, and a different culture to learn from and experience. As it stands his side (Twente) are 5 points clear at the top of the table.

He's doing a brilliant job there. Had to sell Elia to Hamburg (the winger who looked very good against us in the group stages last year), Braafheid to Bayern and Amautovic to Inter.

Even so, he's 5 points clear and Twente are 28 games unbeaten. Should they win it he'll be the first English manager to win a major domestic title since Wilkinson in 1992.

For every story like that though, you've got one like Chris Coleman in Spain.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:14 am

Colin the King wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Hughes shouldn’t sell himself that short, Love him or hate him his sacking drew a large amount of media sympathy and the rights and wrongs of his sacking still hang over us so his stock really isn’t that low. His time with us would have raised his international profile somewhat as well.

What I don’t get about British managers like Hughes who is a decent manager (but maybe not the right one for us) who has been there done that in the lower/mid premiership level and will never get a chance at one of the top clubs again. Is why do they trawl round doing the same jobs when they could go abroad and try a new league and style of play. Test themselves out of there comfort zone. I’d much rather go coach at a top side in Germany or Holland than manage Blackburn or Hull.

Exactly.

Steve McClaren, for all his faults, was open-minded enough to go to Holland and try his hand at management over there. No nasty tabloids on his back, and a different culture to learn from and experience. As it stands his side (Twente) are 5 points clear at the top of the table.

but you do have to admit that speaking their accent helped him a lot in terms transition, so he had an advantage most others wouldn't have.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 am

ross.mcfc wrote:What I don’t get about British managers like Hughes who is a decent manager (but maybe not the right one for us) who has been there done that in the lower/mid premiership level and will never get a chance at one of the top clubs again.

Never say never. Redknapp spent his time at Bournemouth, West Ham, Pompey, Southampton and Pompey before Tottenham came calling. They're an ever present Premiership Club and have money too. A Top Club? Pretty much.

I know Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of being Taggart's replacement - but, again, he spent his time at Wycombe and Leicester before he was at Celtic and Villa. The latter being another ever present Premiership Club.

Hughes could end up somewhere like Leeds or Newcastle when they're in the Premiership. His tough approach might suit them.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 am

btajim wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:What I don’t get about British managers like Hughes who is a decent manager (but maybe not the right one for us) who has been there done that in the lower/mid premiership level and will never get a chance at one of the top clubs again.

Never say never. Redknapp spent his time at Bournemouth, West Ham, Pompey, Southampton and Pompey before Tottenham came calling. They're an ever present Premiership Club and have money too. A Top Club? Pretty much.

I know Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of being Taggart's replacement - but, again, he spent his time at Wycombe and Leicester before he was at Celtic and Villa. The latter being another ever present Premiership Club.

Hughes could end up somewhere like Leeds or Newcastle when they're in the Premiership. His tough approach might suit them.

What I meant to say, and didnt want to is one of the top 4. Spurs where in dire straights when Redknapp came in.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 am

ross.mcfc wrote:What I meant to say, and didnt want to is one of the top 4. Spurs where in dire straights when Redknapp came in.

Tottenham will always be one of the Top Clubs in the Premiership. There's money at the Club and a huge Supporter base. I think they'd fill a 60,000 Stadium.

Before Chelsea got their cash injection, Tottenham were the second Club in London behind Arsenal.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 am

Just been on that Iain Dowie was taking over! Have they give up on the PL cos I cannot see him doing anything there.

And may I say, he's got to be one of the best looking guys I've ever seen ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/8571513.stm

I'm trying to work out whether this is a worse appointment than Brian Laws at Burnley. It must be that the Clubs are too skint to pay a compensation fee to another Club for poaching an active Manager.

Who would we have got had City not been able to afford to pinch Mark Hughes from Blackburn?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 am

btajim wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/8571513.stm

I'm trying to work out whether this is a worse appointment than Brian Laws at Burnley. It must be that the Clubs are too skint to pay a compensation fee to another Club for poaching an active Manager.

Who would we have got had City not been able to afford to pinch Mark Hughes from Blackburn?

Shocked and Stunned at that one.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:00 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Just been on that Iain Dowie was taking over! Have they give up on the PL cos I cannot see him doing anything there.

Personally I think Dowie is somewhat underrated. He is actually very decent manager for side like Hull. Progressive and forwardthinking manager who understands league inside out. They could've done worse.

That said, they have absolutely no chance of staying up. It's funny how people seem to forget how lucky they were to stay up last season! They were considered certainties to go down before last season and haven't really improved.

That is essentially Championship quality squad and that's where they are heading.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just been on that Iain Dowie was taking over! Have they give up on the PL cos I cannot see him doing anything there.

Personally I think Dowie is somewhat underrated. He is actually very decent manager for side like Hull. Progressive and forwardthinking manager who understands league inside out. They could've done worse.

That said, they have absolutely no chance of staying up. It's funny how people seem to forget how lucky they were to stay up last season! They were considered certainties to go down before last season and haven't really improved.

That is essentially Championship quality squad and that's where they are heading.

Dowie has a good rep in the game but not for keeping sides up. The only way Dowie's appointment would make sense is if he was a long term replacement for Brown & stays in his job even if they're relegated & gets the chance to build a side for the future but if that's true, why change? If he gets them up do they sack him if they go back down because that means he's become a bad manager?

Although I don't like the big headed orange weirdo, what was wrong with the job Brown did in the 1st place to get them promoted? He was being hailed as a forward thinking young manager, fully up to date on the 'sports science' stuff etc & he had Hull playing great football in the lower league. What's the difference? Is it purely down to him being a turd that they've sacked him?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Personally I think Dowie is somewhat underrated. He is actually very decent manager for side like Hull. Progressive and forwardthinking manager who understands league inside out. They could've done worse.

If Dowie's sole remit is to keep Hull in the Premiership then he's a fool.

He did well at Oldham, very well at Palace, badly at Charlton, badly at Coventry and badly at QPR. Although the Loftus Road Job was a nightmare for anyone. Dowie was also part of Alan Shearer's Management Team during his brief spell as Gaffer at Newcastle.

I suppose Hull have got little to lose if they're struggling on the pitch already.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Dowie has a good rep in the game but not for keeping sides up. The only way Dowie's appointment would make sense is if he was a long term replacement for Brown & stays in his job even if they're relegated & gets the chance to build a side for the future but if that's true, why change? If he gets them up do they sack him if they go back down because that means he's become a bad manager?

Although I don't like the big headed orange weirdo, what was wrong with the job Brown did in the 1st place to get them promoted? He was being hailed as a forward thinking young manager, fully up to date on the 'sports science' stuff etc & he had Hull playing great football in the lower league. What's the difference? Is it purely down to him being a turd that they've sacked him?

More or less what I was trying to say. People dislike Brown because he comes through as bit out of ordinary for a football person but truth is he has done fairly well to get that bunch of players this far and get them playing decent football. There are not many managers in the world that could've saved them.

But now that he is goner, I reckon they could've done much much worse in long term than Dowie. That is IF they think in long term.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 am

Although it has been the best part of 15 years since Horton kept us up by purchasing Walsh, Beagrie & Rosler, I would have thought he would have been as good a candidate as Dowie?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am

Manx Blue wrote:Although it has been the best part of 15 years since Horton kept us up by purchasing Walsh, Beagrie & Rosler, I would have thought he would have been as good a candidate as Dowie?

Other Blues I know were mentioning Dowie for City after Kevin Keegan left! Hindsight.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

More or less what I was trying to say. People dislike Brown because he comes through as bit out of ordinary for a football person but truth is he has done fairly well to get that bunch of players this far and get them playing decent football. There are not many managers in the world that could've saved them.

But now that he is goner, I reckon they could've done much much worse in long term than Dowie. That is IF they think in long term.

Will be interesting to see how he does.

I've never understood this business of managers getting sacked after getting a side promoted & then going back down, (unless the football they play is unwatchable as well as losing of course, which could be the case with Pulis in the future). I would have thought they're in a perfect position to improve the teams deficiencies for the next time they reach the PL. If they've spent a season seeing their team exposed & if they've already had a side promoted once, the likllihood is they can do it again with the added PL parachute money but have a better chance of solving the problems & staying there than a new manager.

It's a funny old game.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum