Given

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Given

Postby Vhero » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:2 shots on target, 2 goals..... and still people say he is the best in the prem... Every other goalie in the Prem stands further off their line for a penalty than Shay does in open play. We will not win anything until we get ourself a decent goalie, this guy has won nothing in his career and jumped ship before taking Newcastle into the fizzy pop league

So your saying that Wednesday night was Shays fault??

I wouldn't say that it was (not that I said anything in this topic earlier) but his form since christmas has been pretty poor and the fact he won't come off his line has cost us many a time. Right now I think we can do better but maybe not with any other prem keeper.. Joe Hart will surpass him in a couple of years though I reckon.

If we were thinking of changing our keeper (which i dont think we are) i would for Hugo Lloris who is top quality everytime i see him.

I dont think we are either but I think Joe will replace Shay soon enough I seriously doubt he will be sold.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby sweenyuk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:2 shots on target, 2 goals..... and still people say he is the best in the prem... Every other goalie in the Prem stands further off their line for a penalty than Shay does in open play. We will not win anything until we get ourself a decent goalie, this guy has won nothing in his career and jumped ship before taking Newcastle into the fizzy pop league

I'm saying that half the season and a very poor goal difference are Shays fault. Had Everton not scored early on Wednesday it would have been a much more open game, so yes that one is his fault too.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:44 pm

sweenyuk wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

I'm saying that half the season and a very poor goal difference are Shays fault. Had Everton not scored early on Wednesday it would have been a much more open game, so yes that one is his fault too.

How was either of them goals Shays fault?? So from what your saying our GD is all down to one player and that player is Shay Given??
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Twobob » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Oh bollox, there was me thinking that we had 10 other players on the pitch to try and defend a free, and that it fooled each 1 of them and the pretty much just let the everton players play around them - when all along it was just Shays fault - how deluded was I...

Thanks!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Sister of fu wrote:

its not worth the fingerprint skin SOF.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Original Dub » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

How was either of them goals Shays fault?? So from what your saying our GD is all down to one player and that player is Shay Given??

I wouldn't bother Sis, this guy has openly said he wants to see the back of Given and doesn't rate him in the least, so every goal that goes in will be blamed on him.

Some on here have pointed out what they feel are his faults and I'm sure they're right to a certain degree, but as I've said numerous times, he is the most capped player EVER for Ireland and I've never seen these apparent weaknesses. Its probably to do with the fact he has always had a settled defence in front of him. A defence that know the way he operates and will attack the ball knowing he depends on his shot stopping, because he's possibly the best in the world at that aspect.

I believe we have had 19 different combinations in defence this season? Combined with switching to zonal defending halfway through?

I could be wrong, but if this is true I find it hard to believe that any other keeper in the world would have kept more clean sheets than Shay.

If and when we have a confident, SETTLED DEFENCE for a great run of games and Shay stands out as the weakness, I'll hold my hand up and say "get rid", but until that happens, I can't help but feel the trepedation towards him is premature and uncalled for.

"Get rid" at your peril. That's not because I'm Irish and I want an Irish man, that's because I've watched him in something like a hundred games at international level, with a well organised defence and he is an absolute world class goalkeeper.

His position is most certainly one we do not have to worry about.

What we have to worry about is the ease in which the opposition close our midfield down and put pressure on our accident prone, constantly changing defence.

Reina has won the golden gloves a few times I believe. Is that because he commands his area? Is it because he's the most outstanding keeper in the league?

Is it fuck - he's a shot stopper just like Shay.... its because the lads in front of him took the pressure of him.
Original Dub

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:Reina has won the golden gloves a few times I believe. Is that because he commands his area? Is it because he's the most outstanding keeper in the league?

Is it fuck - he's a shot stopper just like Shay.... its because the lads in front of him took the pressure of him.

Reina is the best keeper in the league. Without him Liverpool would be even further in the shit.

I like Given but he's a shot stopper and that's it. He doesn't come for crosses and his distribution and kicking is woeful, to be a keeper at a top club you cannot be like that which is why he has stayed at Newcastle in all the years everyone was talking about him being the best in the league.

He'll do for now.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum