Vieira Signed (OFFICIAL)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vieira To Sign Today

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

BobKowalski wrote:So 7 pages over a free transfer and for a mere 18 month contract at that. Vieira will be delighted at the attention his arrival has caused. But as its the first real chance to have a pop at Mancini - 18 months outrageous! £140k a week obscene as if footballers wages below £140k are fine - it will make some people happy :)

Personally I am ok with a couple of seasoned pros coming in on a short term basis but if people want to have pop at this signing thats fine but don't use the money argument. Sheikh Mansour has amply demonstrated he doesn't care what it costs as long as we win matches and trophies. We signed Bellers on a 4 and half year deal when by Bellers own admission he has only got a year or two left at the top plus we actually shelled out money upfront so lets not get carried away with our outraged horror at the 'cost' of this signing.

As for Vieira well if it was ok for Hughes to get his mate Bellers in then its okay for Mancini to get his mate Patrick in. Vieira is there to show the dressing room how to go a season unbeaten in the PL and he will need help polishing his medals inbetween training sessions.

YOU SHOULD POST MORE OFTEN THAN YOU DO.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Pike1975 wrote:
Wooders wrote:I'm completely bemused to be frank...
Can somebody please clarify why having a top class pro like Vieira added to the squad is so awful?
For a start I very much doubt he will usurp barry and NDJ for a starting place in the squad and as we know injuries and suspensions are common place at this point in the season.
Secondly this "over subscribed in centre midfield" argument I really cannot understand either! As far as I see it we only have Barry and NDJ who are true central/defensive midfielders in our entire squad - Johnson as well but he is injured and won't be back this season if ever and Ireland who isn't comfortable there, he needs to be in attack. Komps and Zabba are defenders for fucks sake, its the same people who say "why are we buying a CM when we're short of defenders" that are against Vieira coming... well there is two for you right fuckin there who you are determined to play in CDM it seems ??

As I say - bemused, well and truly

couldnt agree more with you. Its great how people condem a signing(bellamy springs to mind) before they actually pull on a blue shirt. Lets trust mancini and his transfer policy.

Spot on, except most of us had seen Bellamy play regularly. With the odd exception, no fucker on here has seen Vieira play in the last 4 years.

Makes me laugh this board, all these so called experts - and probably only 5% on here are qualified to discuss Vieira having seen anything more than the odd champions league game. But hey ho opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one regardless whether they know what they are talking about or not.

I dont have an opinion on whether he will make us better, because I havent seen him play so am not going to talk about how slow and shit he is without foundation, but I fail to see how signing us could weaken us.

Even if its an option on the bench to shore the defence up with 20 to go, I cant think of a better player for that job, and unlike with Hughes, it hasnt cost us £17m plus a 4 year contract for a crocked bench warmer.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Pike1975 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:37 pm

His leadership and experience alone stand out for me. This willl prove vital when we are playing in cup finals come february and May! Seen him play a few times for inter and it is hard to judge with the slow pace of Serie A. Still seems to have ability to break up play and start a counter attack, which would suit our style of play away from home perfectly.
Pike1975
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Craig Bellamy

Postby edge275 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 pm

A great signing. This isn't a mickey mouse player we're talking about here it's Patrick fucking Vieira for christs sake. He may be 33 but he can still offer a lot to us.

Welcome aboard Patrick.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Chinners » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Patrick wrote:I hope this doesnt come back and slap us in the face

Ha ha ha, I remember that mate, ha ha ha
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby s1ty m » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 pm

good idea to get Vieira. plenty of once-very good players have had superb indian summers, iirc. wilkins at qpr was insanely daft at 37, tricky trevor francis at sheff weds also. macalister at leeds excellent at 33.

but it's his winning mentality that we are paying for.

free transfer, fuck the wages, what's the issue?
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Haz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Getting a bit late if it's supposed to be happening today, isn't it?! Press jumping the gun as usual?
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Haz wrote:Getting a bit late if it's supposed to be happening today, isn't it?! Press jumping the gun as usual?

He's supposedly having a medical atm. but i think it'll all be announced as done tomorrow.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Haz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
Haz wrote:Getting a bit late if it's supposed to be happening today, isn't it?! Press jumping the gun as usual?

He's supposedly having a medical atm. but i think it'll all be announced as done tomorrow.

The first report of a medical was at 9am this morning. That's a long medical! Mind you, at 33, I guess they wanna make sure nothings liable to fall off and he's not held together with tape!

I'm cautiously optimistic about him though, would be useful for us as a sub in the last 25 mins of games I'm sure.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Interesting that the SSN reporter at COMS was saying earlier that he's been told that Vieira will be the ONLY big name signing in January. I know it's only SSN and their "sources" and that on the strength of it we might as well all go and gets shirts with Villa printed on the back but I do find it interesting that the ITK's on here and BM are saying the complete opposite is the big rumour at COMS. Have to laugh at how the rumours at the same place can be so contradictory?
irblinx

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Haz wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

The first report of a medical was at 9am this morning. That's a long medical! Mind you, at 33, I guess they wanna make sure nothings liable to fall off and he's not held together with tape!

I'm cautiously optimistic about him though, would be useful for us as a sub in the last 25 mins of games I'm sure.

If RSC can pass a medical at ours .... well I bet my gran wouldnt have too much trouble if push came to shove.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

irblinx wrote:Interesting that the SSN reporter at COMS was saying earlier that he's been told that Vieira will be the ONLY big name signing in January. I know it's only SSN and their "sources" and that on the strength of it we might as well all go and gets shirts with Villa printed on the back but I do find it interesting that the ITK's on here and BM are saying the complete opposite is the big rumour at COMS. Have to laugh at how the rumours at the same place can be so contradictory?

I reckon Vieira will be the only big name signing too, however i don't believe he'll be the only signing we make.
Blue Blood

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
irblinx wrote:Interesting that the SSN reporter at COMS was saying earlier that he's been told that Vieira will be the ONLY big name signing in January. I know it's only SSN and their "sources" and that on the strength of it we might as well all go and gets shirts with Villa printed on the back but I do find it interesting that the ITK's on here and BM are saying the complete opposite is the big rumour at COMS. Have to laugh at how the rumours at the same place can be so contradictory?

I reckon Vieira will be the only big name signing too, however i don't believe he'll be the only signing we make.

I suppose it will also depend on who's definition of a big name they're using too
irblinx

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 pm

irblinx wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

I suppose it will also depend on who's definition of a big name they're using too

Exactly.

Ansaldi and Boateng wouldn't be classed as a big name signings but they'll still cost us big money and potentially could be big players for us.
Blue Blood

Postby Petrov's Left Foot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:33 pm

If he's good enough for Don Mancini, he's good enough for me :-)
"Some might say, we will find a brighter day" CTID
Petrov's Left Foot
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: City til I Die
My favourite player is: Goater/Morrison/Dickov

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm

As he signed yet???

Just reading through the thread, there is plenty of speak on the pro's and cons of Vieira's signing, however there is one point that has been missed, and this is it. I hold Vieira in great esteem, a player who I believe to be one of the best that the British and World Leagues have ever seen. A player who has shown true professionalism to the sport and a born leader on the field who I would've loved to play for City in his prime. However..........., he is not that same person that I saw in the Arsenal shirt, getting stuck into the likes of keane with a true passion and 'Who's the Daddy' attitude. He has not been played continually, or without injuries, over the last 12 months. Will he be able to show the world class box-to-box qualities that he used to? Will he be the leader on the pitch that we are used to seeing?

For me, it's not the player that is, it is the player that was.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:As he signed yet???

Just reading through the thread, there is plenty of speak on the pro's and cons of Vieira's signing, however there is one point that has been missed, and this is it. I hold Vieira in great esteem, a player who I believe to be one of the best that the British and World Leagues have ever seen. A player who has shown true professionalism to the sport and a born leader on the field who I would've loved to play for City in his prime. However..........., he is not that same person that I saw in the Arsenal shirt, getting stuck into the likes of keane with a true passion and 'Who's the Daddy' attitude. He has not been played continually, or without injuries, over the last 12 months. Will he be able to show the world class box-to-box qualities that he used to? Will he be the leader on the pitch that we are used to seeing?

according to him he is hungry to play to get into the french squad, its a gamble but it is a free one :)
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:As he signed yet???

no not yet, and amazingly he was having a medical according to sky when he was at Lyon today to see what they had to offer! However, he is expected to come and see us as well and then make his decision.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby branny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Makes sense to me. Games are gonna be coming thick and fast (Everton and Stoke already being re-arranged and fully expecting Chelsea to be) and that's without taking into account possible FA cup replays and even further postponements due to the weather. De Jong will miss games through injury and suspension as will Vieira when he gets a run in the team so it provides cover.

Vieira has averaged 55 mins a game recently so can see De Jong starting and possibly being replaced after 60 mins. With Vieira's leadership maybe we won't throw leads away as we have done several times this season.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Wooders » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Svensational wrote:Current Club - Manchester City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Vieira

Abit fast ey?

everytime it changes, I change it back
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum