The Yaya Toure 'Munich' song

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Yaya Toure 'Munich' song

Postby Goataldo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Oh sod it, twopenneth time I suppose.

The YaYa song is not a Munich song.

It is a song that simply contains the word 'Munich' as a reference to United fans. This might be seen as milder than singing songs directly about the crash, and maybe it is, but it still uses the term, which imo still displays a lack of respect for something which deserves to be treated with a little more decorum. It provides an insight to a certain aspect of what sort of a human being you are and it lacks class, makes us look undignified and sullies our reputation, whilst continuing to help United get that little bit more sympathy to cash in on.

Where do you draw the line with Munich songs and the like?

What's the difference between mocking Munich, and mocking Jews and singing gas-chamber songs aobut Belsen when we played Spurs? Does the 'I didn't know any of them four-by-twos so why should I care, it was ages ago' excuse still work? Or do you just hate them, or the Scum or whoever, that much that common sense and respect no longer applies to you?

Tbh I accept it as part of life, like racists, people who wear those weird midget jeans with their boxers hanging out, and Munichs - sorry, I meant United fans. I don't agree with it, and hope that common sense will prevail over time, I mean we're still evolving, right?

And it really is very easy to wind up and annoy United fans without resorting to anything so lame and sounding so narrow minded and ignorant. As an afterthought, I actually had a red mate of mine start on me live on Facebook after my reaction to our SF win, and I didn't even have to mention Munich once, it was ace.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Goataldo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

btw posting that at 19.58 was a pure coincidence, I swears it.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Florida Blue wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Florida Blue wrote:Think about this, in the Jewish religion it is considered a dishonor to those that were in concentration camps to have one's body tatooed. So taboo that up until recently they were forbidden to buried in a Jewish cemetary. 60 plus year later it is pretty commonplace for both tatoos and burail in the cemetaries if tatooed.

I would never sing it, but I don't think it matters, and will get even more irrelevant and meaningless over time.

I thought tattoos weren't Kosher? Or is that just certain colour inks? Facial and neck tattoos are definitely banned.

One of the reasons Jewish cemeteries are more relaxed about burial grounds is also the secularization of society in many countries. This is the same for lots of religions, but Judaism has the extra facet of the more hardline/Orthodox Jews moving to Israel, leaving minimal local protest against relaxed burial rules.

Well maybe, there are a lot of women in South Florida that have tatoeed eyebrows, so I think technically that would be a facial tatoo. Your point on secularization is valid, but I also bet if you ask a lot of 18 year olds with tatoos they would have no clue why it is/was taboo.

Sorry- that rule only applies to men. Women weren't created in the image of an angel.

You are right with the point about 18 year olds- but that's about personal expression of identity, whereas singing 'Munich' songs really isn't.

In many ways that's exactly what it is. Tribalism and showing who you belong with.

Exactly!

Like neo nazis calling "the other lot" n****rs. Really shows some good old tribalism.
Original Dub

Postby ant london » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Goataldo wrote:Where do you draw the line with Munich songs and the like?

What's the difference between mocking Munich, and mocking Jews and singing gas-chamber songs aobut Belsen when we played Spurs? Does the 'I didn't know any of them four-by-twos so why should I care, it was ages ago' excuse still work? Or do you just hate them, or the Scum or whoever, that much that common sense and respect no longer applies to you?

That, Chris, is a fucking absurd parallel to draw.

One refers to the targeting of a relgious group, their persecution and subsequent attempted elimination across a whole continent.

The other references 21 football folk who died in an accident.

One relates to a group who continue to be disliked, prejudiced against and targeted by hate groups worldwide

The other is dark and openly unpleasant but isolated and long in the past referencing of some bloody dead united players

If you cannot see just how different the two are then you need to bone up on your history. I am not saying that the Muniching is right or that you should condone or even embrace it but comparing it to the Holocaust is laughable
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't know any United fan who would offended by that term. Just shows a lack of class from whoever's singing it. Hardly surprising it still goes on.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:17 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:I don't know any United fan who would offended by that term. Just shows a lack of class from whoever's singing it. Hardly surprising it still goes on.

Your like a fucking Parrot..you have made your point numerous times, now all you need to do is STFU.

Thanks.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby 1950 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:31 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:I don't know any United fan who would offended by that term. Just shows a lack of class from whoever's singing it. Hardly surprising it still goes on.

Your like a fucking Parrot..you have made your point numerous times, now all you need to do is STFU.

Thanks.

And you're like a parrot with tourette's, but carry on. Every parrot has the right to voice it's opinion on here.
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm

1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Thanks.

And you're like a parrot with tourette's, but carry on. Every parrot has the right to voice it's opinion on here.

Who the fuck threw you a peanut.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 1950 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Thanks.

Adebayor's dad?
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Thanks.

Adebayor's dad?

Oh Dear....Is that the best you can come up with?
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby halnone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 pm

http://www.epltalk.com/time-for-man-cit ... ants-30867

Just read that article about this topic. I still don't know where I stand. It lacks class, but doesn't everything these days?
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby rabbit » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 pm

My mate had a big fuck off parrot who he trained to say "want some Chips ?

Fuck all wrong with parrots except the idea of caging them.
rabbit
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Diego Armando Maradona

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Thanks.

Hey wait, I want a peanut. Carl are you holding out food on me again? Bastard.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby bigblue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 am

Florida Blue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
1950 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Thanks.

Hey wait, I want a peanut. Carl are you holding out food on me again? Bastard.

if you're in the south check out K-Jun boiled P-Nuts, a gift from god
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 am

M songs are shit. The club should come out and ban them, throw the wankers out and suspend them.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 am

Beeks wrote:On the MEN website it says the board are in discussion about it now

I reckon they will issue a blanket banning order..would it work though?

That would depend whether those singing it respect the board's (and club's) hypothetical decision.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mike J » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 am

Colin Bell today pleaded with City fans who chant vile ‘Munich’ songs to stop giving the Blues a bad name.

Some of the gloss was taken off City’s vital 1-0 Premier League win at Blackburn on Monday by the fact that a proportion of their 3,500 travelling contingent at Ewood Park made repeated chants recalling the 1958 tragedy by bellowing out ‘Who put the ball in the Munichs’ net?’ in reference to Yaya Toure’s FA Cup semi-final winner.

The offensive singing was all the more incendiary coming just a day after the BBC broadcast a docu-drama entitled United, which charted the immediate aftermath of the tragedy which cost the lives of 23 people – including eight of the famous Busby Babes and City legend Frank Swift.

Now Bell, City’s most famous player, believes the time has come for the abusive chanting to stop.

The former England star told M.E.N. Sport: “They are not true City supporters. Football is a sport at the end of the day and they are chanting about people’s lives.

“It’s gone on long enough and I appeal to them to stop.

“It’s sad and I think it is truly out of order.

“I played for City and now consider myself a supporter of the club and these chants are degrading the club. I don’t like it one little bit.”

Meanwhile, City officials are set to hold a series of behind-the-scenes meetings to determine an appropriate official response to the issue.

The Blues’ hierarchy have resisted the temptation to issue a knee-jerk response, preferring instead to adopt a measured approach to a particularly tricky problem.

Chief executive Garry Cook is acutely aware the club have worked tirelessly to eradicate such chanting in recent times and have taken out banning orders against supporters caught on camera making airplane gestures.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby david yearsley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 am

The king has spoken - please heed his wise words
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Chinners » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 am

rabbit wrote:My mate had a big fuck off parrot who he trained to say "want some Chips ?

Fuck all wrong with parrots except the idea of caging them.

Ha ha, that had me chuckling like a Nevile brother. Totally off topic but possibly the wisest words said on the subject (Mr Bell's quotes aside)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:52 am

Well hopefully Colin the King's words will get through... if these people don't listen to the King, then there's no saving them.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum