EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Next Youth Cup opponents.

Looks like Aston Villa away next.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Who is the number 11? Tricky and very confident and comfortable on the ball

That's Sancho. Something else isn't he.

Just been wondering whether he is better at his age than Brandon Barker was or Patrick Roberts was when we signed him? One thing to learn is we never know how ready they are until they are tried. Genuinely excited by this fella
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:47 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Who is the number 11? Tricky and very confident and comfortable on the ball

Just been wondering whether he is better at his age than Brandon Barker was or Patrick Roberts was when we signed him? One thing to learn is we never know how ready they are until they are tried. Genuinely excited by this fella

Better than both I would say and you are right to be genuinely excited. Barker was talented but he failed to answer the questions when he stepped up to play with the big boys.Whether that was because he just wasn't as talented as might have been thought or hoped or maybe he lacked a bit of bottle or heart or whatever. I still have some hope that he will make it at a good level but it won't be City level.

Roberts I think is a step up and has been showing exactly that albeit at Celtic which is hardly the toughest league in the world.Making it at City level is something else but he will have a very good football career for sure. He will also need to show he has the bottle when he leaves Celtic probably for a prem club even if he doesn't come back to us. Personally I hope he does come back and show the talent he has and I think Pep would like him for his ability to beat defenders which is what he likes to see.

We already have Sane,Sterling and maybe Zinchenko and even Moreno plus definitely Diaz and Sancho coming through so plenty of competition. Sancho could be the best but lets just see how the next 12 to 18 months goes.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Better than both I would say and you are right to be genuinely excited. Barker was talented but he failed to answer the questions when he stepped up to play with the big boys.Whether that was because he just wasn't as talented as might have been thought or hoped or maybe he lacked a bit of bottle or heart or whatever. I still have some hope that he will make it at a good level but it won't be City level.

Roberts I think is a step up and has been showing exactly that albeit at Celtic which is hardly the toughest league in the world.Making it at City level is something else but he will have a very good football career for sure. He will also need to show he has the bottle when he leaves Celtic probably for a prem club even if he doesn't come back to us. Personally I hope he does come back and show the talent he has and I think Pep would like him for his ability to beat defenders which is what he likes to see.

We already have Sane,Sterling and maybe Zinchenko and even Moreno plus definitely Diaz and Sancho coming through so plenty of competition. Sancho could be the best but lets just see how the next 12 to 18 months goes.

From what I've seen of Zinchenko, he's more of a Silva type player rather than a speedy, tricky dribbler.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:05 pm

mr_nool wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

From what I've seen of Zinchenko, he's more of a Silva type player rather than a speedy, tricky dribbler.

I agree he is a more central midfield player but ( with Foden as well) he is jusy another top young talent looking for a place in the side
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Back watching the 18's today less than 48 hours after they battered Southampton. Newcastle today and we just made the 7 changes from the Thursday team. Strange to hear the Newcastle radio commentator stood behind me stating that is was a virtual full strength City side.

With Sancho on the bench and Diaz not involved at all we had Luke Bolton and Ian Carlo Poveda on the wings and they basically ripped them apart. For a while Newcastle looked ok. We were a serious threat but at least it looked like they could threaten as well and then it all changed with the first goal.

Foden had come close twice and Poveda hit the post but then Foden ( I think) set Gonzalez away with a peach of a ball and he made no mistake. Not long after Foden sidefooted home after a bit of mayhem in their box and then came 2 awesome goals.

First Matt Smith , playing defensive midfield today, got a ball from a corner about 10 yards outside the box, sidestepped a challenge and instead of looking for a wide player drove straight at the box and carefully side footed a curler in off the right post.. Shortly after that Gonzalez was challenging hard for a ball near the centre circle and when it borke for him he turned and ran straight at their defence. With 2 or 3 haring after him he went straight at and past the center half before putting it past the keeper from a right angle. Both goals got me out of my seat so enjoy them when they appear on the OS.

2nd half a bit flat. Newcastle came out with pure defence in mind, 2 banks of 4 much closer than before and the 2 " forwards" only just in front of them. Foden still found space and we could have scored a couple more early on but when Foden and Gonzalez both went off it stopped the flow.

All round another excellent and very convincing win and well done to the lads who stepped in to show what great strength we have in depth. Frimpong played right back today and looked good again. Taylor Richards started in midfield and looks a talent. Good to see Tyreke Wilson back after injury as a sub at left back.

Just so many positives it's hard to mention everyone but a word on the keeper Muric. The guy has a presence about him and made a save or two but he has a mad streak to when he came way out of his box to deal with a ball ( not for the first time) but then tried to take on his man and fail!! They messed the chance up but it was 4 nil and late on.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Phew Mr H.

The excitement of the game came across really well in your summary.

You're rather good at this, in fact, go and give up the day job !!

Seriously though, thanks ever so much for posting that; I really enjoyed reading it.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Phew Mr H.

Seriously though, thanks ever so much for posting that; I really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for the compliment but I am long since retired hence all the time in the world to watch youth games. I enjoy watching these lads so much its quite easy to write about their games.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Phew Mr H.

Thanks for the compliment but I am long since retired hence all the time in the world to watch youth games. I enjoy watching these lads so much its quite easy to write about their games.

Your enjoyment certainly comes over in your reports and in the knowledge you impart Mr H.

Well done to you.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Much appreciated Doug.
I take a great interest in all the youth games. I love hearing the new names of he younger kids starting to get into the 18's as there's more chance we will get to see them.

Sounds like the standard of those coming in is as good as what is currently there.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Nice one, Doug.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dazby » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Is the comma for dramatic effect? Worked for me.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Are the EDS playing tonight?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:48 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Are the EDS playing tonight?

Yes they are 2-0 up
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Yes they are 2-0 up

Are you at it, WW?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:58 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Yes they are 2-0 up

Are you at it, WW?

Would you care to re-phrase that question IWT ??

Some cryptic souls might read a different interpretation into your comment ;)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Yes they are 2-0 up

Are you at it, WW?

Is he getting 64'd?
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Yes they are 2-0 up

Are you at it, WW?

There's always one!
Always one!

Just looking for updates.
Buckley-Ricketts and Kongolo scored so far.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Justified logic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:16 pm

We really need a ManCityTV channel for these games.

Get it organised City!
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Man City Academy ‏@ManCityAcademy
#PL2 XI v @LCFC: Grimshaw, Duhaney, Humphreys, Adarabioyo, Oliver, Garcia, Diaz, Kongolo, Buckley, Fernandes, Nemane #mcfc

Lifted from twatter.
Seems like a decent team.
By all accounts City not having it all there own way though.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum