dunne to villa

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: dunne to villa

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Richard Dunne has not been shite...he has been a fantastic defender for us and it really saddens me that you can all deride a man that has put 10 YEARS of his footballing career into this club...blood sweat and tears along the way...it's a fucking shame and an indication of the fickle nature of football fans these days

Dunne is a TRUE City legend in my eyes, fucking love the fella
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Vhero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:You lot are off your fucking tits...did ANY of the above CBs win player of the year 4 times?!

No...thought not

Normally agree with you on most things IBH but I think you've got a blind spot on Dunne. He won it because he had to do so much last ditch defending due to the severe lack of quality around him, no competition. Didn't stop him making the intermittent cock-ups along the way.

Curle was better in many ways. He was a huge signing at a point when we should've really pushed on, but we went down the Alan Ball (and others) route and Curlie's career sort of fizzled out when he should've been leading us to glory.

He was a good captain, talking all the time. Dunnie is quiet.
He was great with the ball at his feet and often surged up field - Dunne's worst play is when he has the ball
He was extremely quick, quicker than Dunnie especially on the turn
He was good at all the nasty bits of tugging, pulling, sledging the oppo, giving the linesman shit. Rich is too nice
Good at close marking.

All of which made up for his inability to head the ball. Dunnie can head, at least at our end.

And you say I'M the one with rose tinted glasses

It's like selective memory on here sometimes honestly

DUNNE AND DISTIN HAD ONE OF THE MEANEST DEFENSIVE RECORDS IN THE PREMIERSHIP

Fact

I watched both Keith Curle and Richard Dunne week in week out and laugh out loud at your analysis...sorry...but I obviously have a better memory than you...Keith Curle was nowhere near the player Dunne was

Some people on here think I have a soft spot for the guy...I do...but if he was shite I was hold my hands up and say so

But Richard Dunne has not been shite...he has been a fantastic defender for us and it really saddens me that you can all deride a man that has put 10 YEARS of his footballing career into this club...blood sweat and tears along the way...it's a fucking shame and an indication of the fickle nature of football fans these days

Mate your living in the past Dunne ain't half the player he used to be and I think that's your problem I think you want him to be so much you can't see what we all see and that's fine mate that's faith and I for one pat you on the back. However we need to move on from Dunne as he beyond his best years and if you can't see that then unlucky you.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beanieboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:You lot are off your fucking tits...did ANY of the above CBs win player of the year 4 times?!

No...thought not

POY means fucl all. Or are you going to say Ryan Aids was the best player in the league last season, just because somebody else decided he was?

haha....cunt,..pmsl at that ..got the whole offic looking at me like i'm crazy,...
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 am

I don't have the words.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am

Dunne better than Keith Curle?

Imo Keith Curle was quite literally a one man defence for City. If he played, even when he was injured, we had a chance, if he didn't; we got beat. We were absolute shit at the back if he didn't play.

I rate Keith Curle as one of the best defenders I've ever seen in a City shirt & in a purely defensive capacity, would have him over any of the defenders we've got now, or any we could get in the PL for that matter. Before we got Curle, Liverpool used to beat us for fun but as soon as he signed we started beating them & getting results at Anfield.

Keith Curle used step up to catch Lineker offside at the half way line because he was so fast, if he got it wrong, he'd still catch him & tackle him. Lineker himself used to talk about it. Dunne v Lineker? Hmmm.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Dunne better than Keith Curle?

Imo Keith Curle was quite literally a one man defence for City. If he played, even when he was injured, we had a chance, if he didn't; we got beat. We were absolute shit at the back if he didn't play.

I rate Keith Curle as one of the best defenders I've ever seen in a City shirt & in a purely defensive capacity, would have him over any of the defenders we've got now, or any we could get in the PL for that matter. Before we got Curle, Liverpool used to beat us for fun but as soon as he signed we started beating them & getting results at Anfield.

Keith Curle used step up to catch Lineker offside at the half way line because he was so fast, if he got it wrong, he'd still catch him & tackle him. Lineker himself used to talk about it. Dunne v Lineker? Hmmm.

I'd like to assosiate myself with these thoughts.

Sure things got bitter in the end and he said some stuff he shouldn't have said BUT I was equally pissed off with Ball. Curle was top defender.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 am

So, just to be clear on this Ted, did you like Keith Curle or not? ;o)
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am

irblinx wrote:

So, just to be clear on this Ted, did you like Keith Curle or not? ;o)

He wasn't bad ;-)

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 am

If he leaves i'll be sad to see him go, been a great servent to the club and always been a top pro apart from the alcohal spat with Keegan about 9 years ago. Been a top captain for us and always gave 100%, if he does go and it is Villa, he's moving to another great club and I wish him all the best for the future.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:20 am

i hear dunnes been offered the captaincy at villa too, would be a great move for him hed be mad to turn it down, i still cling to the hope hed do a "hyppia" style role for us, he certainly good enough, id also like to see him not been dropped straight away for lescott too, send out wrong message. id love him to stay til at least Jan
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 am

Dubciteh wrote:i hear dunnes been offered the captaincy at villa too, would be a great move for him hed be mad to turn it down, i still cling to the hope hed do a "hyppia" style role for us, he certainly good enough, id also like to see him not been dropped straight away for lescott too, send out wrong message. id love him to stay til at least Jan

Yes.
I like this idea.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Haz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:18 pm

DavidWhiteIsGod wrote:I am sickened to hear that anybody would snap any team's hands off for losing arguably the best center back to wear sky blue in the last 30 years. He has been a perfect example of commitment, leadership and heart. The amount of strong clearances and last ditch tackles that he has put in to save us so many times I am too young to have seen us lift a trophy that truly matters (and i'm 33?!?!?!!?)
I am thankful and grateful for Dunnie playing as one of us. If he does leave I for one will be sad to see him go. A TRUE LEGEND.

Here here. My feelings exactly.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Blue2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Spot on, no comparison. I know a few here have said that Dunne has been a good captain, but he hasn't. Too quiet and not a leader. Dunne is /was an average Prem centre back whose best years are behind him I wouldn't mind keeping him as back up, but to be fair to him he will probably not want that.

BTW, Dave Watson was miles better than both of them.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Blue2 wrote:

Spot on, no comparison. I know a few here have said that Dunne has been a good captain, but he hasn't. Too quiet and not a leader. Dunne is /was an average Prem centre back whose best years are behind him I wouldn't mind keeping him as back up, but to be fair to him he will probably not want that.

Watson, Doyle & Curle are the only genuine top class CB's I've seen playing for City. Hopefully some of the new signings or Ned will reach that level.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Craig B » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Blue2 wrote:

And he won a trophy, nevermind POTY 4 times!
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Burt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue2 wrote:

Watson, Doyle & Curle are the only genuine top class CB's I've seen playing for City. Hopefully some of the new signings or Ned will reach that level.

Tommy Booth was as good as Doyley and Big Dave and he could also play comfortably all over the park including centre forward.

Oh and George Heslop;o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue2 wrote:

I'd go as far as to add Colin Hendry to that bracket as well. He went on to achieve a great deal in the game but I thought he was still very, very good indeed for us, especially as he was pissed about a bit by Kendall (or was it Reid), playing at centre-forward half the bloody time.

Mind you it was nice to see his "plane" goal celebration in the derby.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Vonky was good in the air and on the ground despite lacking pace. I remember they had to calm him down when he arrived at the club because he was kicking White & Quinn up in the air during training.

It's a shame from Watson, Dunne, Curle, Hendry, Booth, Vonk and Doyle we couldn't make some sore of amazing hybrid clone central defender which could kick the living shit out of anything and prevent the opposition from scoring.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Hazy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Keith have a shot Giggsy, nice one I will Curle. If Dunne had been that player some in here would have shot him, Curle, good player, Liked him a lot, great player no chance.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby xavi6 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:43 pm

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1026 ... 48,00.html

Dunne Fee Agreed

Villa can confirm a fee has been agreed with Manchester City for defender Richard Dunne.

The 29-year-old City skipper will now travel down to the Midlands to discuss terms on a move to Villa Park.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum