Board Quality And Recent Events

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Board Quality And Recent Events

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Appreciate the sticky WW. Eww that sounds like I said I appreciate the sticky wonderwall, as in, wonderwall is sticky and I like it.

Where was I, i've lost my train of thought.....
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Colin the King » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 am

My problem with the Hughes debate is that it's become very rigid. It's like there are two factions, both of whom are blind to the possibility of the other side being right. We've had so many discussions turn into stupid arguments and it takes away completely from what was, or might have been, an otherwise good debate. I've seen threads over the last few months where there might be four or five very good posts and a decent debate building up, only for someone to come on and moan and bitch about the poster/topic. Keep that shit to PM.

Saying that the site still has plenty going for it and even in the worst of times since I joined, there's always been that core group of regulars adding good points, whichever side of the fence you sit on. When I think of my favourite posters, there's 100% behind Hughes ones, 100% against Hughes ones and a few stuck in the middle. If all sides could agree to talk football in the main forum, it'd be the best forum in the land again. If and when that happens I'm sure the guys who've left would get involved again.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Esky » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am

Slim wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Forgot to address the OP....

Personally, I find the idea of a "Hughes-only thread" a bad idea. Not sure that things are that clear cut. There are lots of issues to discuss that would touch on the idea of whether the manager is doing the right thing. And it is legitimate to ask if the manager is the right person for the job to do various things. For example: our defence currently has problems leaking goals. If I pose the question of whether Hughes (an ex-striker) knows enough about defensive coaching does that mean I have breached the rules and should have used the "Hughes-only" thread..... just some thoughts.... although I understand why the posters have driven you to consider it....

This place has got really bad during you exile and something needed to be done for the sanity of this place. I totally agree and it will be very difficult, which is why I am asking for common sense and if you all help with this, it will succeed. Several topics will touch on certain hughes traits, but dont get drawn into a hughes debate, that is why the thread is there.

It got worse than members trying to arrange a pre-game punch up in a car park? That's the lowest point I remember. I didn't realise things carried on being so bad..... well, desperate times as they say

Pretty sure we had one member threaten to stab another member as well. I can see how the Hughes out posts would be as bad, when he got appointed I felt like I had been stabbed.

The problem isn't the Hughes Out threads, its the 20-30 people who just slag off the poster for it. Either...
a) Ignore the thread
b) Address the post

I recommend a).

Agree with that absolutely. It's much the same as when every other thread deteriorated into 'Thanks Joey' or 7 goal Alves jokes; if something's been said once or twice through the thread already - or in other threads ad infinitum - some people need to just leave the submit button alone. Seeing the same six people dance the same dance in every thread (even when it's not remotely applicable to the topic) or having 19 posts lambast the OP for an accidental duplicate thread is what really grates for me.

Similarly, with crap like the Alves thing and the Robinho 'transfer', other people need to understand the law of diminishing returns; if something's funny or provocative once, it's not going to be the seventy-fourth or seventy-fifth time. Just leave it be.

Everything said though, it's still the best place on the net and there have always been posters who're just outright stupid. The fall from grace for me isn't as great as some seem to think.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby dick dastardley » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 pm

i dont post that much on here now, basically the forums gone down the shitter the past few months
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Socrates » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Colin the King wrote:My problem with the Hughes debate is that it's become very rigid. It's like there are two factions, both of whom are blind to the possibility of the other side being right. We've had so many discussions turn into stupid arguments and it takes away completely from what was, or might have been, an otherwise good debate. I've seen threads over the last few months where there might be four or five very good posts and a decent debate building up, only for someone to come on and moan and bitch about the poster/topic. Keep that shit to PM.

Saying that the site still has plenty going for it and even in the worst of times since I joined, there's always been that core group of regulars adding good points, whichever side of the fence you sit on. When I think of my favourite posters, there's 100% behind Hughes ones, 100% against Hughes ones and a few stuck in the middle. If all sides could agree to talk football in the main forum, it'd be the best forum in the land again. If and when that happens I'm sure the guys who've left would get involved again.

Agree entirely. Debate the point and prove it wrong rather than complaining that the point has been made and you don't like it...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby ruralblue » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 pm

I dont envy what you do WW at all mate, it must take a lot of time and effort, keep it up fella. Miss King Kev and Dans posts though hope they will come back. I would imagine all sites get this way once in a while.

rural
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Socrates » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 pm

ruralblue wrote:I dont envy what you do WW at all mate, it must take a lot of time and effort, keep it up fella. Miss King Kev and Dans posts though hope they will come back. I would imagine all sites get this way once in a while.

rural

He's had the operation? Wondered where he was ;o)

Seriously though, as someone who once suffered the perils of solo moderation in the days of the old wild west, on mancity.net, I have every sympathy for Bob at the moment and implore people not to make his life difficult. Hopefully some of the orangemen will be around to help more soon, meantime good luck to him.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby john@staustell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:38 pm

dick dastardley wrote:i dont post that much on here now, basically the forums gone down the shitter the past few months

Haha!

I haven't been on that much again until this last few days. I agree with WW's post entirely, but I think some of the trouble has actually derived from our new level of expectation, from our new wealth. We're actually nowhere near as bad as we have been for about 30 years, and there isn't actually that much to debate - debate is usually around problems, negative stuff, relegation, cup exits.

Which brings it all back to Hughes - we all debate it, but actually no-one knows. NOBODY, on here, on SKY, in the papers, in Abu Dhabi, whether he will bring us success. There are signs he will, and there are signs he wont. That's why I stay clear of that debate for a moment. We need to wait!

But there is no excuse for this idiocy creeping in, and abuse of fellow posters, respected or otherwise.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby CityGer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Colin the King wrote:My problem with the Hughes debate is that it's become very rigid. It's like there are two factions, both of whom are blind to the possibility of the other side being right. We've had so many discussions turn into stupid arguments and it takes away completely from what was, or might have been, an otherwise good debate. I've seen threads over the last few months where there might be four or five very good posts and a decent debate building up, only for someone to come on and moan and bitch about the poster/topic. Keep that shit to PM.

Agree with this, top post. I've wanted to post something similar for some time but haven't got round to it.

It seems that you are bracketed in to camp - Pro Hughes or anti Hughes. People aren't allowed to debate a topic on it's individual merits without being pigeonholed. An individual may be scathing about a decision Hughes has made but may, in general terms, be behind him. On the other hand, someone who hates Hughes with a passion may give him some credit on the back of a good decision or result. Less pigeonholing, less carry over from previous posts and more debating of the subject in hand and the board would be a better place.

I must also say that things could be worse and this place is still a top board with some great people.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Keep up the good work WW, it is appreciated.

I tend to laugh at some of the stuff posted on here but have certainly visited less often, save for checking in to see Chinners Bollox every day. The quality of content has dipped a little in the past year or so, but in general there are still some top posters on here and some good city debate generally - CTK, CARL, Dazby, Buffalo, Cityger, Xavi, Slim, Grob, LAHAD, Bingo, John68, Ant, WW, Arjan, Hazy, Burt, Douglas, Pablo Sacramento etc etc - they are just the one's I can think of now off the top of my head but this is still a good board and the key is not to let the trolls and nutballs get you down. Just have a chuckle at them and move on.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sandman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:53 pm

I would like to believe in all honesty that there are three groups on here;

1. The Positive Posters, we have lost once all season and are still in the infancy of a much publicised 10 year plan, we know the club has leapt forward in recent times and are just beginning what will be a long long journey.

2. The Negative Posters, We have lost many MANY points to poorer opposition, although we appreciate the greatness of our squad we feel let down with our performances, Hughes is living down to his track record.

or

3. The Rag Haters, I believe many on this board are not old enough to remember the hurt and damage Mark Hughes has personally caused those of us who were at Maine Rd in his playing days, I feel that some blindly despise him for his past and cannot see past that causing a lack of understanding between themselves and the younger or forgiving posters.

I personally am firmly in the Hughes out brigade as I dont believe he is up to the current job, let alone the one he will have to undertake in the coming decade, however I am desperate for him to prove me wrong and I love City more than I do most of my family, I am trying my hardest to remain open minded and honestly wish him the very best of fortune.

My actual point to this post is that there are so many mixed emotions and people pulling in different directions that I dont believe it will be eradicated until he leaves, I dont even think winning the champs league would win over some now?
sandman

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

sandman wrote:I dont even think winning the champs league would win over some now?

All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby CityGer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:11 pm

See here for context :

----------------

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28213

----------------

Eh?? Why aim your comments at 'the site' rather than fidel??

I don't agree with him but if I felt strongly enough about it to challenge him then I would challenge him. I would not aim a dig at the site as a whole. Debate each point with the individual who has made it, ffs.

This is the main issue with the site at the moment imo. Those who are negative (or honest) about our current situation are being blamed with all that's wrong on the board. In actual fact, those who want everything to appear rosey are more to blame imo. The above being a prime example. Any Negative comments seem to be challenged as such........ "Site's shit" "Gone down hill" "Shit on here these days" "Rag" "You're ruining the place".

There are faults on both sides but this is a prime example of someone doing what seems to have become cool on here of late - Blaming all the board's faults on those who don't think that all is hunky dory with our team/club at the moment.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby edge275 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:41 pm

CityGer wrote:See here for context :

----------------

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28213

----------------

Eh?? Why aim your comments at 'the site' rather than fidel??

I don't agree with him but if I felt strongly enough about it to challenge him then I would challenge him. I would not aim a dig at the site as a whole. Debate each point with the individual who has made it, ffs.

This is the main issue with the site at the moment imo. Those who are negative (or honest) about our current situation are being blamed with all that's wrong on the board. In actual fact, those who want everything to appear rosey are more to blame imo. The above being a prime example. Any Negative comments seem to be challenged as such........ "Site's shit" "Gone down hill" "Shit on here these days" "Rag" "You're ruining the place".

There are faults on both sides but this is a prime example of someone doing what seems to have become cool on here of late - Blaming all the board's faults on those who don't think that all is hunky dory with our team/club at the moment.

I agree with that.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
sandman wrote:I dont even think winning the champs league would win over some now?

I know how stupid that sounds, but I also know how stubborn and negative some on here can be, never satisfied.
sandman

Postby dazby » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Great idea with the Hughes thread. I've not read a word of it and the rest of the board has been great. Top stuff WW.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby shawzy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 pm

The sites gone way up in my estimation.
No personal insults and respecting peoples opinions even if you dont agree has been the norm this past week.
Well done to all.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm

dazby wrote:Great idea with the Hughes thread. I've not read a word of it and the rest of the board has been great. Top stuff WW.

I concur. Great move WW, you get 2 cool points and an endorsement from the Fonz.

MARKMAKAVELI

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:21 pm

shawzy wrote:The sites gone way up in my estimation.
No personal insults and respecting peoples opinions even if you dont agree has been the norm this past week.
Well done to all.

There's definitely 2 members - we all know who - who must've recently gone through that trapdoor beloved of Bond baddies into the shark-infested private aquarium!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Chinners » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Hmm 'Board quality and recent events' has an ironic ring to it after yesterday
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart