We'll play Stoke at their own game, says Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: We'll play Stoke at their own game, says Mancini

Postby john@staustell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 am

ant london wrote:
john@staustell wrote:As we're now all pretty experienced Mancini-watchers, it is clear that VERY often the guy doesn't mean what he says. In fact I go so far as to say he tells direct porkies in his interviews, even allowing for the language difficulty.

So anyone getting hysterical about a latest quote needs to get a grip.

Fuck you cockface

I'll get a grip of your old neck and wring it next time I spot you in the souk ;-)

Hmm, think there's a smile at the end of that somewhere.

Dont think the man actually meant 'ordered' to be honest, and it didn't sound like he knew what he was saying on the aftermatch SKY interview. CFFR can help me out with Italian but in Spanish an 'order', like from a catalogue is pedido, which comes from pedir, which means 'to ask'. Mandar translates as 'command', which is equivalent of our 'order' or 'command'. So what can mean 'to order' in Spanish translates as 'to ask' or 'to request' in English, which is what I think he thought he said.

The damage was done when 'order' was then translated into Spanish as mandar, command, and the BA press goes bonkers! Italian could be completely different of course (?), but at times they are very similar, latin-based lingos.

Storm in a press wotsit as usual.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sounds like he has said it as a wind up to put them off their game.There is no way we will resort to the same game as Stoke so it's chill time and watch us go there and win.

They won't have trained today I don't think ( not those who played most of Sunday anyway) but I will see what they get up to tomorrow. I think I should ask Kidd if he would like me to follow mancini's words and say we have been practicing the high balls all the time.

I think you should make up a story about Micah playing midfield.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 am

I think if we were gonna do this we'd have been practising it in training for the last week, and doug would have seen it.
We can't learn to play them like this in 2 hours training.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 am

john@staustell wrote:
ant london wrote:
john@staustell wrote:As we're now all pretty experienced Mancini-watchers, it is clear that VERY often the guy doesn't mean what he says. In fact I go so far as to say he tells direct porkies in his interviews, even allowing for the language difficulty.

So anyone getting hysterical about a latest quote needs to get a grip.

Fuck you cockface

I'll get a grip of your old neck and wring it next time I spot you in the souk ;-)

Hmm, think there's a smile at the end of that somewhere.

Dont think the man actually meant 'ordered' to be honest, and it didn't sound like he knew what he was saying on the aftermatch SKY interview. CFFR can help me out with Italian but in Spanish an 'order', like from a catalogue is pedido, which comes from pedir, which means 'to ask'. Mandar translates as 'command', which is equivalent of our 'order' or 'command'. So what can mean 'to order' in Spanish translates as 'to ask' or 'to request' in English, which is what I think he thought he said.

The damage was done when 'order' was then translated into Spanish as mandar, command, and the BA press goes bonkers! Italian could be completely different of course (?), but at times they are very similar, latin-based lingos.

Storm in a press wotsit as usual.

Order..mandar..mur... Christ I hope there's not too big a misunderstanding with the Italian translation or someone might bring him Tevez' head.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 am

Im just glad Vieira isnt playing again. It was like taking candy off a baby last time we played them. Just hope Ireland can start turning it on again. If Mancini means playing long balls to Santa Cruz or Adebayor (or both) then we need someone to be first to the knockdowns.
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:I think if we were gonna do this we'd have been practising it in training for the last week, and doug would have seen it.
We can't learn to play them like this in 2 hours training.

If you put enough 6ft defenders in the team they'll just do it naturally.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

What is Stoke's "own game"

Personally, the league game was a perfect example of a team chasing, harrying, pressurising and forcing mistakes from a team of big time charlies who werent up for a scrap. I don't believe in any way shape of form that we are either capable, or have the mentality to match Stoke at their own game. If we try, we will fail. Thats not defeatist, its realistic.

A) Some amongst our team couldnt even be arsed to chase back 5 yards
B) Some start with the right intentions of passing the ball then fall to pieces when they misplace a few passes and start hoofing the ball aimlessly up the field in panic

In all our recent games, many on the pitch were guilty of either a, b or both - and that is the reason we play shit, not because Stoke weave some sort of mesmerising amazing unplayable tactic.

I dont feel we need to do anything miraculous, just play the game like we know they can. Play simple passes to your own man THEN move to give him an option, chase, harry and retain shape when not in posession.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 am

johnpb78 wrote: Some amongst our team couldnt even be arsed to chase back 5 yards

I think that's what he's refering to more than anything, we've been giving less than 100% in some games recently & took our foot off the gas during the home game v Stoke but tbf, I don't think anyone could be reasonably accused of that in the away game. A battling performance like the 2nd half, without the stupid mistakes, would get us through imo. It's unlikely to be pretty but it wouldn't be for rags or Barca either unless they got a couple of goals in front.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 am

johnpb78 wrote:What is Stoke's "own game"

Personally, the league game was a perfect example of a team chasing, harrying, pressurising and forcing mistakes from a team of big time charlies who werent up for a scrap. I don't believe in any way shape of form that we are either capable, or have the mentality to match Stoke at their own game. If we try, we will fail. Thats not defeatist, its realistic.

A) Some amongst our team couldnt even be arsed to chase back 5 yards
B) Some start with the right intentions of passing the ball then fall to pieces when they misplace a few passes and start hoofing the ball aimlessly up the field in panic

In all our recent games, many on the pitch were guilty of either a, b or both - and that is the reason we play shit, not because Stoke weave some sort of mesmerising amazing unplayable tactic.

I dont feel we need to do anything miraculous, just play the game like we know they can. Play simple passes to your own man THEN move to give him an option, chase, harry and retain shape when not in posession.

thats not just Stoke's game plan it is also the way Barca, Utd, Chelsea and other top teams play when they dont have the ball, its what they do with the ball that differs.

I agree we need to work much harder when we dont have the ball but i hope to god that when we do have it we dont play like stoke
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sounds like he has said it as a wind up to put them off their game.There is no way we will resort to the same game as Stoke so it's chill time and watch us go there and win.

They won't have trained today I don't think ( not those who played most of Sunday anyway) but I will see what they get up to tomorrow. I think I should ask Kidd if he would like me to follow mancini's words and say we have been practicing the high balls all the time.

I do hope so Doug - I actually took something positive away from the Scouse game - I did not see it at all as negatively as has been reported - then you get this quote - imagine if 'he who must not be mentioned' had said this!!
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mike J » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

im glad im playing football myself whilst this is on.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 am

ant london wrote:Firstly his handling of the Tevez absence which has been, and continues to be, a fucking disgrace....and just the most incredibly stupid piece of man management I have seen in the last few years. Hughes got crucified for his "mis-management" of the sporadically productive and very disruptive Elano....and I don't see the same people murdering the scarfed spastic for this balls-up (nor whatever happened with Bellamy).

Then this....brilliant Roberto. Why don't we try a new game plan against the team in the league that is best at (and best suited to) that particular gameplan. You fucking clueless twat. Fuck off out of my club

Ah but with Hughes we knew it was all the players fault. We knew it because the papers said it was and they had to be shipped out pronto. Which they were. But with Mancini its not the players fault its all Mancini's fault becuase he wants them to...well I got a bit lost at this point because seemingly he wants them to train harder and longer and this is wrong although I thought we were wetting our pants that they would train less under Mancini but no we are now wetting our pants because they are training harder although Doug says they ain't but its more tactical which may be harder then running round like a headless chicken but what do I know.

But one thing is pretty clear what ever has happened or will happen its going to be Mancini's fault and if it ain't his fault then its Cookie's fault. Mancini's opening PC set the tone hostility wise and I can't see it changing anytime soon and it continues to be an interesting test of character. From day 1 with a long injury list, ACoN, Togo bus shootings, tougher (or not) training sessions, Player revolt, Bellers getting the hump, the hunt for Carlos, semi final heartache, playing kids in important matches, Robinho decamping to Brazil because Mancini wouldn't guarantee him a place, the club screwing up the Magri signing and a large section of fans ferevently wishing he would fuck off. Oh and on top of this he has to get a CL spot.

Kind of makes you nostalgic for the simpler days of Hughes and his taffia when Robinho played every match, the players had it easy, matchday was straightforward "Just attack boyo, just attack" and we brought in a set of brand new defenders every six months :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 am

daftest thing I've ever heard:
forget about all of our advantages and lower ourselves to their level.
You don't go toe to toe with a slogger with a puncher's chance
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 am

BobKowalski wrote:
ant london wrote:Firstly his handling of the Tevez absence which has been, and continues to be, a fucking disgrace....and just the most incredibly stupid piece of man management I have seen in the last few years. Hughes got crucified for his "mis-management" of the sporadically productive and very disruptive Elano....and I don't see the same people murdering the scarfed spastic for this balls-up (nor whatever happened with Bellamy).

Then this....brilliant Roberto. Why don't we try a new game plan against the team in the league that is best at (and best suited to) that particular gameplan. You fucking clueless twat. Fuck off out of my club

Ah but with Hughes we knew it was all the players fault. We knew it because the papers said it was and they had to be shipped out pronto. Which they were. But with Mancini its not the players fault its all Mancini's fault becuase he wants them to...well I got a bit lost at this point because seemingly he wants them to train harder and longer and this is wrong although I thought we were wetting our pants that they would train less under Mancini but no we are now wetting our pants because they are training harder although Doug says they ain't but its more tactical which may be harder then running round like a headless chicken but what do I know.

But one thing is pretty clear what ever has happened or will happen its going to be Mancini's fault and if it ain't his fault then its Cookie's fault. Mancini's opening PC set the tone hostility wise and I can't see it changing anytime soon and it continues to be an interesting test of character. From day 1 with a long injury list, ACoN, Togo bus shootings, tougher (or not) training sessions, Player revolt, Bellers getting the hump, the hunt for Carlos, semi final heartache, playing kids in important matches, Robinho decamping to Brazil because Mancini wouldn't guarantee him a place, the club screwing up the Magri signing and a large section of fans ferevently wishing he would fuck off. Oh and on top of this he has to get a CL spot.

Kind of makes you nostalgic for the simpler days of Hughes and his taffia when Robinho played every match, the players had it easy, matchday was straightforward "Just attack boyo, just attack" and we brought in a set of brand new defenders every six months :)

Come back and preach when Mancini has beaten one decent team. And don't tell me we beat United because we were winning a half time in the tie.

Mancini has failed to beat one decent team. He has failed to entertain the fans and his man management of our two best players has been less than questionable.
Original Dub

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:40 am

BobKowalski wrote:

The players were mint in attack but could not defend under Hughes (who was blamed for the defending), there now that appears to be a 180 degree shift to being able to defend but an unwillingness to attack.

If Hughes copped the flack for it being completely unable to master a fundamental element of the game, I can't blame anybody for sticking it to Mancini for the exact same reason, and personally would be inconsistent at best and holding double standards at worst if I did not do the same. I'm not at Ant's stage yet, but I can understand and sympathise with his frustrations.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Citeh&Crew » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am

This is just insane. The personel we have is not suited to playing "Stoke's game".

I, for one, believe Mancini is just putting on an aire, and will actually play the attacking, flowing football of which I know we are capable. In fact, I sincerely hope he puts Bellers, Ade and Tevez out there with Ireland, AJ and SWP. THAT would be one heck of an attack.

I've seen Stoke play a few times this season, and they are so damn good with bunkering, and countering in the dying minutes of a game. Fuller, as much as I dislike him, is great at leading said counters.

In any case, if we play in the style of an Arsenal or Barca, we win this game. If we play the way we did against Liverpool? It's better for Stoke, than us.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:This is just insane. The personel we have is not suited to playing "Stoke's game".

I, for one, believe Mancini is just putting on an aire, and will actually play the attacking, flowing football of which I know we are capable. In fact, I sincerely hope he puts Bellers, Ade and Tevez out there with Ireland, AJ and SWP. THAT would be one heck of an attack.

I've seen Stoke play a few times this season, and they are so damn good with bunkering, and countering in the dying minutes of a game. Fuller, as much as I dislike him, is great at leading said counters.

In any case, if we play in the style of an Arsenal or Barca, we win this game. If we play the way we did against Liverpool? It's better for Stoke, than us.

1. Stoke beat a team of the style of Arsenal in the last round - Arsenal with a Delap throw.
2. There is no evidence that Mancini't teams EVER have, can or will play attacking football.
3. Tevez is in Argentina
4. AJ is cup tied
5. Need I go on?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Blue2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Strange one. Our players are supposedly far superior to theirs, so why dont we try playing them at our game instead of being dragged down to their level?
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm

This could end in tears. Most likely mine.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Just a further note after seeing training today I do think the idea we will try to play the same game as Stoke is a nonsense. Maybe deliberately said maybe not. Even if we have a little extra height in the side it wouldnt mean going into lump the ball in the air mode.
Anyway no practice at all today with the ball in the air unless the hand ball warm up counts. And Micah was in goal for some of that so maybe that's the plan.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum