Please let us attack, Mr Mancini...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Please let us attack, Mr Mancini...

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 pm

They should have give it to bloody Gordon in my honest opinion!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby ant london » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm

The Premier League Weekend Winners And Losers
The top three go marching on, the next four go limping on, the bottom six go crawling on...

Winners

Joleon Lescott
Other than Adam Johnson, who picked a good weekend to make a headline-grabbing impact, the only City player to emerge from the draw at Sunderland in credit was Lescott. Matthew Upson's position in the England squad as first cover for Rio Ferdinand and John Terry is as worrying as it is debatable. Lescott isn't their equal either, but, like Gallas, he looks a far better player now now he's been separated from Kolo Toure.

Losers

Manchester City
Just what is it that Roberto Mancini has brought to Manchester City apart from upheaval and confusion? Even at this early stage of his tenure, time is surely already running out for the Italian.

The greatest puzzle of all is fathoming just what it is Mancini is trying to achieve with his team and how he intends to achieve it. Mark Hughes, for all his failings, at least appeared to have a clear idea of who and what made up his best team. Mancini, on the other hand, continues to defy the widespread belief that stability is a virtue by operating, seemingly by intention, without a settled line-up or even a settled formation.

At Sunderland, he deployed his team from the outset in what appeared to be a 4-3-2-1 system that included a converted right-back, Pablo Zabaleta, in midfield while Patrick Vieira - who Mancini declared would be City's most important player during their run-in - stewed on the bench. After half an hour, that plan was ripped up. Off went Wayne Bridge, championed by Mancini a few weeks ago as the best left-back in the country, on went Roque Santa Cruz and over went the right-footed Zabaleta to left-back. But not for long. On came Patrick Vieira after an hour, back went Gareth Barry, and over went Zabaleta to right-back. Confused? No doubt he was.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:36 pm

ant london wrote:
Manchester City
Just what is it that Roberto Mancini has brought to Manchester City apart from upheaval and confusion? Even at this early stage of his tenure, time is surely already running out for the Italian.

The greatest puzzle of all is fathoming just what it is Mancini is trying to achieve with his team and how he intends to achieve it. Mark Hughes, for all his failings, at least appeared to have a clear idea of who and what made up his best team. Mancini, on the other hand, continues to defy the widespread belief that stability is a virtue by operating, seemingly by intention, without a settled line-up or even a settled formation.

At Sunderland, he deployed his team from the outset in what appeared to be a 4-3-2-1 system that included a converted right-back, Pablo Zabaleta, in midfield while Patrick Vieira - who Mancini declared would be City's most important player during their run-in - stewed on the bench. After half an hour, that plan was ripped up. Off went Wayne Bridge, championed by Mancini a few weeks ago as the best left-back in the country, on went Roque Santa Cruz and over went the right-footed Zabaleta to left-back. But not for long. On came Patrick Vieira after an hour, back went Gareth Barry, and over went Zabaleta to right-back. Confused? No doubt he was.

Funny but I just don't see it like that. Maybe I just like the whole 'lets try something different' because this ain't working approach. I like the idea of a flexible squad that can interchange and alter the gameplan. I like taking off the fullbacks and chucking on more offensive players (something I like about Mourinho too). Even funnier was reading one match report saying that Villa are on course for 4th spot after battling a turgid draw at Stoke and Mancini is for the chop because we got a...draw at Sunderland and a more entertaining draw at that. Well I was on the edge of my seat 2nd half even if no one else was :)

So MoN gets the plaudits and Mancini gets the brickbats and 'arry plays his get out of jail free card with the press. I like MoN and even good old 'arry if I'm honest but I do get the impression that no matter what Mancini does or even says hes going to get a kicking. Start with same team bar one player that won at Chelsea. Kicking for not playing Paddy. Taking off Bridge for RSC when a goal down to give the attack a focal point. Clearly clueless. And so on.

Its kind of ironic that (if memory serves) we have picked up more points than Villa and Spurs since Mancini took charge. So in answer to the opening line "Just what is it that Roberto Mancini has brought to Manchester City". Organisation and points.

Obviously :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
ant london wrote:
Manchester City

Funny but I just don't see it like that. Maybe I just like the whole 'lets try something different' because this ain't working approach. I like the idea of a flexible squad that can interchange and alter the gameplan. I like taking off the fullbacks and chucking on more offensive players (something I like about Mourinho too). Even funnier was reading one match report saying that Villa are on course for 4th spot after battling a turgid draw at Stoke and Mancini is for the chop because we got a...draw at Sunderland and a more entertaining draw at that. Well I was on the edge of my seat 2nd half even if no one else was :)

So MoN gets the plaudits and Mancini gets the brickbats and 'arry plays his get out of jail free card with the press. I like MoN and even good old 'arry if I'm honest but I do get the impression that no matter what Mancini does or even says hes going to get a kicking. Start with same team bar one player that won at Chelsea. Kicking for not playing Paddy. Taking off Bridge for RSC when a goal down to give the attack a focal point. Clearly clueless. And so on.

Its kind of ironic that (if memory serves) we have picked up more points than Villa and Spurs since Mancini took charge. So in answer to the opening line "Just what is it that Roberto Mancini has brought to Manchester City". Organisation and points.

Obviously :)

Its a pretty decent post, but I'd also like to add that he has brought the "fear factor" to city.

We are now scared when we start every single game.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

"Maybe I just like the whole 'lets try something different' because this ain't working approach."

That's fair enough Bob if it was a one off but aren't you at all concerned that it seems to be almost every match that he has to try something different in a match which suggests that he doesnt get it right very often from the start. To me it smacks off him not really knowing what's best and then guessing/gambling after the match starts badly.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:56 pm

IMO I SAW 90 MINUTES OVER 2 GAMES OF THE WORSE FOOTBALL IVE SEEN FOR DONKEYS YRS(SOME MIGHT SAY 4O MINS AGAINST CHELSEA WAS TACTICAL WHEREAS ID SAY IT WAS SHIT) AND IT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE?

WHY ARE WE PLAYING LIKE THAT AND WHY DOESNT MANCINI KNOW WHY WE PLAYED LIKE THAT?.....IT,S A WORRY. WILL HE SORT IT OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL?

IM NOT SURE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:08 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:IMO I SAW 90 MINUTES OVER 2 GAMES OF THE WORSE FOOTBALL IVE SEEN FOR DONKEYS YRS(SOME MIGHT SAY 4O MINS AGAINST CHELSEA WAS TACTICAL WHEREAS ID SAY IT WAS SHIT) AND IT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE?

WHY ARE WE PLAYING LIKE THAT AND WHY DOESNT MANCINI KNOW WHY WE PLAYED LIKE THAT?.....IT,S A WORRY. WILL HE SORT IT OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL?

IM NOT SURE.

I agree completely mate. I said that after the Chelsea game and I got accused of only being happy when we lose etc...

I said it would be interesting to see what city went out against Sunderland- the first half city or the second half city.
It was clear as day the first half city started out and it cost us two points.

I'll say it again, if we don't start to put fear into the sides we face from the first whistle, instead of looking petrified ourselves we will NOT finish fourth. Every single game from now to the end of the season is a cup final and we sure as hell better realise NOW that the game starts with the first whistle, not with the whistle for the second half.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Citeh&Crew wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:It is PART of his job to score & he'll probably get his fair share if he plays but the main reason he was signed was to do exactly what he did; be a target man. Apart from a few mistakes like the ones you've highlighted, he made life really difficult for Sunderland's CB's & created loads of new space for Bellamy & Tevez. Did they use it well? Did they fuck they wasted the ball in great positions, failed to score from good positions & admittedly RSC did the same thing a couple of times, which is all it was, 2-3 times, no worse than them whatsoever. I expect them to be better than him. I expect him to help get them the ball so they can do their stuff. He did, they didn't. They will if the system continues.

RSC changed the whole game when he came on & people know it but are slating him anyway because 'anyone else could do it?' Who? Who the fuck ever gets on the end of anything for City & starts moves in the oppo's half? Adebayor? Never. When have we ever had anyone who does it? We've signed loads of players to try but none could. Well he just did. I saw him do it loads of times.

Without him I doubt we'd've even bothered Sunderland with our various assorted dwarves getting tackled every time they tried to run with the ball on a sticky pitch, we were creating nothing, nothing whatsoever until he started doing it. People can slag him all they want but Mancini will have seen that.

If they do want him to score btw, or anyone else for that matter, how about someone, anyone, putting in one decent cross, that actually goes to one of our players, like Gary fucking Neville does all day, just one, ONE in 90 mins?

Wow.. I hope the bolded parts are examples of some kind of English dry, sarcastic humour that is not meant to be taken seriously, because I have a different perspective, to be sure.

First of all, Bellamy was better than RSC at putting (far more) shots on target than RSC, and Bellers did this while under PRESSURE. Exactly how many shots/crosses did RSC punt out of the stadium, without a man breathing down his neck? Three. He couldn't even put two of his chances on goal, when that is the least he should have accomplished. Tevez had a poor game, I admit, but it is fallacy to compare RSC to Tevez this game, because while RSC did better as a "target" than Tevez, the fact is that Carlos NEVER should have been put in that position in the first place. He is in no way a "target man". (obvious!) Ferguson tried the same ludicrous tactic with Carlos last year, and it didn't work out so well. Why in all hells did Mancini try the same this game? I am at a loss with that one...

Second, for you to "slag off" on Ade, and indirectly attempt to put RSC in his class, tells me that you're not thinking clearly. Yes, Ade DOES hold up the ball, and yes Ade DOES make runs upfield with pace, unlike RSC at the moment. Ade can actually take a ball out of the air, turn on someone, and shoot on target! How you can make the comments about Ade.. I don't get it. The two are not even remotely in the same class right now.

You make fun of "assorted dwarves", who happen to be among the better players in the Prem. Tevez? Class. SWP? Poor form right now, but you should know his ability, and an English international to boot. Adam Johnson? Awesome. Bellamy? How can begin to insult his class? In fact, if Gordon hadn't had the game of his life yesterday, Bellers would have scored twice.

Quit your fallacious thinking, and try to be somewhat objective. RSC may need more time, but he didn't "change the game" on his own. Adam Johnson "changed the game" far more than Roque.

Adam Johnson also changed the game further & should have been on earlier. Glaring mistake not to get him on.

I haven't slagged off anyone for their ability, I rate all those players very highly & think they're better at their jobs than most. Doesn't change the fact that they're all shortarses & were getting caucht in posession on a sticky pitch time & again & that RSC changed the game when he came on. Those players created absolutely nothing before that.

Here is the quote from Steve Bruce once again: "They brought on Roque Santa Cruz and he helped change things around for them. Tactically, it made them better and they defended things well, too". I agree with him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Citeh&Crew wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:It is PART of his job to score & he'll probably get his fair share if he plays but the main reason he was signed was to do exactly what he did; be a target man. Apart from a few mistakes like the ones you've highlighted, he made life really difficult for Sunderland's CB's & created loads of new space for Bellamy & Tevez. Did they use it well? Did they fuck they wasted the ball in great positions, failed to score from good positions & admittedly RSC did the same thing a couple of times, which is all it was, 2-3 times, no worse than them whatsoever. I expect them to be better than him. I expect him to help get them the ball so they can do their stuff. He did, they didn't. They will if the system continues.

RSC changed the whole game when he came on & people know it but are slating him anyway because 'anyone else could do it?' Who? Who the fuck ever gets on the end of anything for City & starts moves in the oppo's half? Adebayor? Never. When have we ever had anyone who does it? We've signed loads of players to try but none could. Well he just did. I saw him do it loads of times.

Without him I doubt we'd've even bothered Sunderland with our various assorted dwarves getting tackled every time they tried to run with the ball on a sticky pitch, we were creating nothing, nothing whatsoever until he started doing it. People can slag him all they want but Mancini will have seen that.

If they do want him to score btw, or anyone else for that matter, how about someone, anyone, putting in one decent cross, that actually goes to one of our players, like Gary fucking Neville does all day, just one, ONE in 90 mins?

Wow.. I hope the bolded parts are examples of some kind of English dry, sarcastic humour that is not meant to be taken seriously, because I have a different perspective, to be sure.

First of all, Bellamy was better than RSC at putting (far more) shots on target than RSC, and Bellers did this while under PRESSURE. Exactly how many shots/crosses did RSC punt out of the stadium, without a man breathing down his neck? Three. He couldn't even put two of his chances on goal, when that is the least he should have accomplished. Tevez had a poor game, I admit, but it is fallacy to compare RSC to Tevez this game, because while RSC did better as a "target" than Tevez, the fact is that Carlos NEVER should have been put in that position in the first place. He is in no way a "target man". (obvious!) Ferguson tried the same ludicrous tactic with Carlos last year, and it didn't work out so well. Why in all hells did Mancini try the same this game? I am at a loss with that one...

Second, for you to "slag off" on Ade, and indirectly attempt to put RSC in his class, tells me that you're not thinking clearly. Yes, Ade DOES hold up the ball, and yes Ade DOES make runs upfield with pace, unlike RSC at the moment. Ade can actually take a ball out of the air, turn on someone, and shoot on target! How you can make the comments about Ade.. I don't get it. The two are not even remotely in the same class right now.

You make fun of "assorted dwarves", who happen to be among the better players in the Prem. Tevez? Class. SWP? Poor form right now, but you should know his ability, and an English international to boot. Adam Johnson? Awesome. Bellamy? How can begin to insult his class? In fact, if Gordon hadn't had the game of his life yesterday, Bellers would have scored twice.

Quit your fallacious thinking, and try to be somewhat objective. RSC may need more time, but he didn't "change the game" on his own. Adam Johnson "changed the game" far more than Roque.

Adam Johnson also changed the game further & should have been on earlier. Glaring mistake not to get him on.

I haven't slagged off anyone for their ability, I rate all those players very highly & think they're better at their jobs than most. Doesn't change the fact that they're all shortarses & were getting caucht in posession on a sticky pitch time & again & that RSC changed the game when he came on. Those players created absolutely nothing before that.

Here is the quote from Steve Bruce once again: "They brought on Roque Santa Cruz and he helped change things around for them. Tactically, it made them better and they defended things well, too". I agree with him.

Yeah CARL - now go and sit in the stupid corner.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Original Dub wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:IMO I SAW 90 MINUTES OVER 2 GAMES OF THE WORSE FOOTBALL IVE SEEN FOR DONKEYS YRS(SOME MIGHT SAY 4O MINS AGAINST CHELSEA WAS TACTICAL WHEREAS ID SAY IT WAS SHIT) AND IT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE?

IM NOT SURE.

I agree completely mate. I said that after the Chelsea game and I got accused of only being happy when we lose etc...

I said it would be interesting to see what city went out against Sunderland- the first half city or the second half city.
It was clear as day the first half city started out and it cost us two points.

I'll say it again, if we don't start to put fear into the sides we face from the first whistle, instead of looking petrified ourselves we will NOT finish fourth. Every single game from now to the end of the season is a cup final and we sure as hell better realise NOW that the game starts with the first whistle, not with the whistle for the second half.

It's possible that he may not be actually telling them to play like that but because they've spent so long on drills etc in training, they're subconciously taking it on to the pitch. Hughes tried to put freedom of attacking first wheras Mancini has put defensive formation first. Both methods have their pros & cons & hopefully Mancini will fix the particular problems with his system in the same way I believe Hughes would have fixed his.

Both 2nd half performances suggest we're not that far away.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

HA HA HA HA HA...............YOU CUNT.

FUCK ELEPHANT MAN AND FUCK HIS COMMENTS........

BTW I NEVER SAID THINGS DIDNT CHANGE WHEN HE CAME ON THE PITCH..I SAID HE WAS SHITE AND ILL STICK WITH THAT COMMENT.
Last edited by carl_feedthegoat on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Well come on, we all know what Mancini is trying to do. He's trying to get us to defend in depth, not get caught on the break cos we are flying forwards, and be patient, sucker punching when the oppos get frustrated. The problem is.......we can't do it. And there are a few reasons why not. The first is that the midfield is not mentally tough or tenacious enough. The second is that sides always get crosses in against us early on and keep getting the first goal. They are up for it.We keep being outmuscled, out fouled, and out played because we seem incapable of the three skills you need to play like this. They are break up play by obstructing, invite the foul rather than passing too quickly, and keep the feckin ball.Watch the rags. Fletcher and Carrick might not have shaved heads, big arms and little goaty beards but they dont let players run past them.Both their fullbacks kick people. Feck me Richards gave Malbranque a goodun yesterday and there are people calling him a muppet.So we go a goal down and then we have to play. And we're quite good at it. Which is why Doug is saying why dont we start like that. Cos we havent gone a goal down when we kick off, is the answer.And Mancini doesn't trust us to muller teams by attacking. He may be right cos we've been crap away since the project started.It ain't an easy problem to solve, but better players than Zab and Nige would make it a lot easier.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

So we go a goal down and then we have to play. And we're quite good at it. Which is why Doug is saying why dont we start like that. Cos we havent gone a goal down when we kick off, is the answer.And Mancini doesn't trust us to muller teams by attacking. He may be right cos we've been crap away since the project started.It ain't an easy problem to solve

That Mancini doesn't trust the players is possibly spot on. He certainly didn't trust the way we were playing.
Now we compress too much when hassled and suffer even more because we have surrendered too much space and are stuck too deep.
Playing the ball out from defence in early parts of the game, we conssitently fluff it. giving the ball back to the oppo and then dropping even deeper as it comes straight back.
Maybe the players are not trusting each other enough so people like Barry get dragged back to help win the ball back, when he is really the main link player to attack. First half he was chasing the ball all the time instead of looking for space to receive it, eventually Micah started to take the initiative to drag everyone forwards, as he has a few times this season.

Somewhere in the midfiled area we are not coming out of the blocks well organised enough.. they fail to play the ball out from our own half. Look nervous, off the pace..
Are teams just raising their game so much as to stop us playing or what?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:34 pm

brite blu sky wrote:That Mancini doesn't trust the players is possibly spot on. He certainly didn't trust the way we were playing.

They're not his players. Only Vieira and A Johnson were brought in by him. Sven brought in a number of players and so did Hughes. If he's still here next season then Mancini will get his own players, too.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

btajim wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:That Mancini doesn't trust the players is possibly spot on. He certainly didn't trust the way we were playing.

They're not his players. Only Vieira and A Johnson were brought in by him. Sven brought in a number of players and so did Hughes. If he's still here next season then Mancini will get his own players, too.

Vieira made some suptuous long through balls and passes, as for AJ.. no need to comment on that one
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:"Maybe I just like the whole 'lets try something different' because this ain't working approach."

That's fair enough Bob if it was a one off but aren't you at all concerned that it seems to be almost every match that he has to try something different in a match which suggests that he doesnt get it right very often from the start. To me it smacks off him not really knowing what's best and then guessing/gambling after the match starts badly.

Good question. At the moment no if only because it just seems to be his way. I'll counter that by saying i have no idea what Mancini was like as a manager prior to City but I get the impression that he does treat each match as a seperate puzzle (for want of a better word). He has a template set up which then is fluid enough to change dependant on the circumstances in the match or conditions or as on Sunday state of the pitch with the RSC introduction which was both a smart and obvious move and helped enormously. The only thing that let it down was RSC's rustiness in front of goal.

I don't think the players have entirely got it yet and this may in part account for the slow starts to the game. Against Chelsea it seemed deliberate and we did restrict Chelsea for the first 30 mins or so in terms of chances. Against Sunderland we just looked poor because they hassled and harried and never let us settle (against Chelsea we looked more comfortable). I also thought that Sunderland had very few clear chances but they were all over us all over the park and the short game was going nowhere so the RSC change was necessary and I like the fact Mancini made it and made it fairly early.

Playing SWP was I think good management. Shaun played well against Chelsea and for England and AJ struggled. Mancin had already said to SWP to stop banging on about his contract and do his talking on the park so here's your chance to prove it. Unfortunately SWP didn't and AJ saved the game. With hindsight Mancini left him on too long but hoying him off too early and he stands accused of not giving him a chance. Kind of fucked either way I guess but Mancini is paid to get these calls right and he didn't this time.

Mancini liked the way we played against Liverpool and the team followed his instructions to the letter. Against Chelsea again no issues but he was clearly pissed at the way we played 1st half in the Sunderland game not to mention pissed at some of the chances we missed. This tells me that there is a difference between Sunderland 1st half and Chesea 1st half. One is playing badly and the other is sticking to the gameplan. To me it even looks different although I guess to others it looks the same. Hell maybe I'm wrong who knows.

Ok I am now in danger of rambling but overall I am comfortable with Mancini as manager because rightly or wrongly I think he knows what he is doing. I can also see what he is trying to achieve which I never could under previous managers who shall remain nameless :)
BobKowalski

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Imo there was absolutely no difference between the Sunderland & Chelsea 1st halves apart from Sunderland were much more up for it than Chelsea but didn't create much whereas Chelsea were in 1st gear but should have scored at least 2 goals. City were the same in both; just stood about & watched Tevez play on his own for most of each 1st half & passed the ball like Pearce's team. Not having too many alarms but still always looking like they had a terminal mistake or two in them ready to surface at any moment.

We papered over it after Chelsea, deciding ignorance was bliss because of the result & it was considered heresy to talk about it but hopefully now they'll recognise it as a problem & deal with it before it's too late.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Citeh&Crew » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 am

A couple of things I don't get.. (but please keep in mind, I want Mancini to stay, i.e. I am not "bashing")

1) Where is Ireland? (The player, not the nation) In my opinion, much of the reason that we were so flat-footed and possessed the ball so little, was because Johnson and Ireland were not in the game. Why.. how.. what reasoning do you leave Stevie out? If the point is to play possession, then he is a must in the starting lineup. Which brings me to my next question...

2) What is the identity of this team? Are we similar to Aston Villa, or Barcelona in style? Because it seems as if we hoof the ball up the field, when we have personnel to keep the ball with short-medium passing up the field. I was confused against Sunderland, because on one hand, Barry et al. would boot the ball into the box, with Tevez and Bellers as "target men" (until RSC arrived), and on the other hand, it seems as if Shay was holding the ball up to try and distribute to our backs and midfielders with some passes on the ground. I personally prefer playing a controlled game.
Citeh&Crew

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 am

s1ty m wrote:
And I am not getting carried away, the 1st half was a horrible display of pearcian proportions.

I think Mancini realizes this as he said it himself, that he was really pleased with second half but disappointed with the first. So from his words I'd think he didn't set them to defend in the first half, but that the players on the pitch couldn't manage to do what he had asked them to.

ant london wrote:
Manchester City

Ironic how the moves he made in the end resulted in a draw instead of a loss, and it would have been a comfortable win without a super Gordon in goal for Sunderland. I seriously wonder about the ability to understand football of who writes peices like this.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Ironic how the moves he made in the end resulted in a draw instead of a loss, and it would have been a comfortable win without a super Gordon in goal for Sunderland. I seriously wonder about the ability to understand football of who writes peices like this.

Good point CFFR. I was thinking that every team that plays the better teams (RAGS, Arse, Chelski) goes hell for leather at it and sometimes gets ahead early in the game after which they are under huge pressure until the better team (usually) comes through and takes the points.

We have made a transformation - after years of going at it hell for leather, hopefully getting a goal, and then hanging on like grim death for 80 minutes (Sven style), we are now one of the teams who shines through as the game goes on. We have progressed to be classed alongside those teams. And the summer should bring the right extra players.

All we need to do is stop that early goal going in. Simple eh?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum