Human rights

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Human rights

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Conn by name, con by nature. Was it proved that these individuals were tortured, and if so, by what means; 2006-07 end of season review?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 pm

the rags loving this throwing at people from all directions

if we look at the rags they are owned by American/Jews now I am not getting personal with individuals from these countries but both have shocking human rights records and are hated by the greater world in general due to their current and past goverments
paulh
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: gareth barry

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Socrates wrote:I accept this is far from black and white and that they needed to act to prevent an islamic revolution. It is a long road to successful democracy in that part of the world and I have little doubt that that family remains the best option for the Emirates. The fact the prison terms are not draconian and that a proportion were cleared stands out but I will nontheless heavily criticise tge use of torture same as I would in my own or any other country!

Torture is aceptable in extreme cases but certainly not for crimes mentioned in the article.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Fuck conn, he's a dick.
Original Dub

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 pm

paulh wrote:the rags loving this throwing at people from all directions

if we look at the rags they are owned by American/Jews now I am not getting personal with individuals from these countries but both have shocking human rights records and are hated by the greater world in general due to their current and past goverments

Jews are hated by the greater world?

And the slight difference is, the glazers don't rule the USA.

Beefy, the UAE governments don't really even attempt to deny torture as it is routinely used.
Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Манчестер Сити

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

the united owners have links with Israel and the USA though

I would argue both Israel and the USA are hated by a lot of nations to (again not my opinion just an observation)

Without being political or narrow minded couldnt a person argue ok the UAE has a bad human rights record but there is a very low crime rate in this country etc? (this is not my opinion just chucking an example in)
paulh

Postby sandman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:fuck 'em, they should live in a civilised country. as long as we're winning games of football, that's all that matters.

1,000,000 x This ^^^
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Mansour21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:

Beefy, the UAE governments don't really even attempt to deny torture as it is routinely used.

Routinely used? Arjan mate can i ask when did you notice that UAE has HMR issues? Like how many years.
Mansour21
Site Admin
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

This thread reminds me of that episode of Father Ted where they're protesting outside a cinema iirc holding signs reading ' down with this sort of thing '.

The way I see it is that Sheikh Mansour buying City and other businesses in the western world is a good thing as it educates people on both sides of the cultural divide, which in turn leads to less oppressive rulers in the world.

I don't know why I'm even posting in this thread as football is my release from all this bollox.

ps David Conn is a twat.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't understand the relevance of the question, but specifically it was 1991.

Your earlier post extolling the benefits to a UAE citizen, none of that applies to the vast majority of the population does it?
Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby bigblue » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Socrates wrote:I accept this is far from black and white and that they needed to act to prevent an islamic revolution. It is a long road to successful democracy in that part of the world and I have little doubt that that family remains the best option for the Emirates. The fact the prison terms are not draconian and that a proportion were cleared stands out but I will nontheless heavily criticise tge use of torture same as I would in my own or any other country!

Torture is aceptable in extreme cases but certainly not for crimes mentioned in the article.

May be acceptable morally in your mind but that point ignores the larger issue... Torture is primarily used as a deterrent/punishment or a way for interrogators to appear useful within the organization. It is extremely ineffective at drawing out accurate information. Not only is it inhumane, it is also pointless and a waste of time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-5011381.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/us/po ... html?_r=1&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effectiven ... errogation
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mansour21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:I don't understand the relevance of the question, but specifically it was 1991.

Your earlier post extolling the benefits to a UAE citizen, none of that applies to the vast majority of the population does it?

It does, to all.

I asked you this question because from the court hearing a witness who attended their secret meetings said that their first plan in 2011 was to change the image of the country, large amounts of money have been paid to some people in Europe to incite the western public opinion against UAE.
Mansour21
Site Admin
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Mansour21 wrote:
It does, to all.

I asked you this question because from the court hearing a witness who attended their secret meetings said that their first plan in 2011 was to change the image of the country, large amounts of money have been paid to some people in Europe to incite the western public opinion against UAE.

Oh please.
Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Socrates » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:I don't understand the relevance of the question, but specifically it was 1991.

My understanding is that the vast majority of the local population do very well indeed, it is the imported cheap labour who are horribly exploited.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Socrates wrote:
My understanding is that the vast majority of the local population do very well indeed, it is the imported cheap labour who are horribly exploited.

I'm talking about the long list of benefits that emiratis get, didn't want people thinking that applied to everyone (they don't even all apply to emirati women), but yes
Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mansour21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:
I'm talking about the long list of benefits that emiratis get, didn't want people thinking that applied to everyone (they don't even all apply to emirati women), but yes

What?! What does not apply to all emiratee women? Stop saying these things unless it is true! All the benefits that i listed before are applied to both men and women except for the land part she needs to be divorced to apply for a land.
Mansour21
Site Admin
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm

why should a country follow what we think is right???? the world is different across regions and has different practices and beliefs.

for example if i AM using our country then i dont think its right to be in a war against a nation far way because our friend the usa says so!

I dont think its right this country created the first concentration camps!

not being lefist just giving examples that every country and continent has good and bad doings
paulh

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Mansour21 wrote:
What?! What does not apply to all emiratee women? Stop saying these things unless it is true! All the benefits that i listed before are applied to both men and women except for the land part she needs to be divorced to apply for a land.

Yes, that was the one I meant, so my assertion was correct.
Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:
paulh wrote:the rags loving this throwing at people from all directions

I'm not saying they don't do it mate but in this case it's just alledged and guilt seems to be proved by assumption.

We all know that they have a crude, to say the least, Human Rights Bill and if I remember right they are now looking at efforts to improve their policies. The transient demographic have it hard but at the same time they still want to go there as it's better there than their own country - live in poverty with no chance of a future or live with a future with no chance of poverty.

What has got to be rememered is that 'we' have had good relations with the UAE for hundreds of years and when it suits we have decent trade. Only this year the Queen, and mainly the government, invited our owner (and Co) to talks to cement further relations. That says to me that the wider issue of HRs is negligible and the thought of sustained relations is far more important to us, and them, in this current climate.

What also has to be remembered is that they have different rules and regulations to us. They are an Islamic state who have far different values to us which have to be respected. Over here we allow protests and such whilst also allowing many things that can lead to repercussions down the road whereas in the UAE, and most Middle Eastern states, they take a zero tolerance attitude to people breaking their laws and treat offenders accordingly.

As I said mate, when in Rome act as a Roman, and that's what I like to see in this country. Problems occur when people decide to flout the law and then run to the soft arses for protection.

As Carl would say, this is what leads to 'Broken Britiain', a place where many no longer understand where they live.

As for the story in place, it's brought enough talk on here but I'm still not sure why it should be applied to Manchester City Football Club. Does the Sheikh stop people from feeding their face over Ramadan or drinking alcohol at the match; stop people from attending who have homosexual tendancies or prevent entry because individuals are not married? Like I say mate, they have their laws, we have ours. Seems we have no respect these days and that every country should follow the version of our events.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I Think there's a big difference in accepting that the world is rotten in general and consciously buying products from someone you know has blood on their hands.

Welfare bought through torture, dictatorship and patriarchy is freedom based on the acceptance of captivity.

I'm still gonna watch city but I don't like our owners' political luggage.

Judging by the moral relativism here I would have thought I was in academia and I watch football to get some release from that stuff.

I'm not judging anyone, we all have our own conscience and values.

We could do something though, if we wanted. Politics isn't hard. Big corporations are as sensitive as teenagers when it comes to criticism.
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum