Messi

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Messi

Postby Slim » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Well isn't my brother a bloody spoilsport, we could have had 20 threads all called Messi.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Slim wrote:Well isn't my brother a bloody spoilsport, we could have had 20 threads all called Messi.

the board was looking very tidy with all the threads the same name, so I sorted it and now its back to its Messi best
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Breks wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Yeah, it had to be said. You all read the news the past weeks about Messi, if not; http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/22/lionel-me ... n-4197214/

Anyhow, if this might be true, and maybe it is, after all those years, maybe he need something new. Do we have a chance? Would the sheik go for him or Monaco and PSG are hot favorites. Beside that, would we invest almost 300 mil in him?

Messi isn't going anywhere.

There's been rumours of unrest for a while now, for various reasons not least his tax affairs.

I picked up on a Spanish website the other day that there is a FIFA threat to ban Spain and football in Spain altogether if the government legislates on media rights without consulting FIFA. Good old Sepp.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/201 ... 29878.html

Also when will these daft papers stop talking about clubs having to stump up the release clause? If a player is unhappy, if a club needs the money, if it suits everybody, then it is whatever price is negotiated.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Mate, we had prefects in my school, so it's definitely not just an English thing.

They were basically rats - hall monitors and general look-outs for the teachers.

They were a right bunch of cunts - or "phips" -which is my new word for same.
Original Dub

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:Mate, we had prefects in my school, so it's definitely not just an English thing.

They were basically rats - hall monitors and general look-outs for the teachers.

OD, you're of a different generation to me, I'd say. I couldn't imagine that going down too well in the CBS school I went to on the north side of Dublin back in the seventies.
I know there are student councils now in a lot of secondary schools and there is in the school my young lad will be going to next term. I don't think that's the same thing though, is it?

By the way, can't see us getting Messi. (just to keep it on thread)
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Prefects at my school were like the Corleone family. I might have been in charge, thinking about it.

So which is the proper Messi thread then ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Mate, we had prefects in my school, so it's definitely not just an English thing.

OD, you're of a different generation to me, I'd say. I couldn't imagine that going down to well in the CBS school I went to on the north side of Dublin back in the seventies.
I know there are student councils now in a lot of secondary schools and there is in the school my young lad will be going to next term. I don't think that's the same thing though, is it?

I didn't know you were so old mate ;)

I went to a CBS as well, although it was the 90's when I was in secondary.

The prefects weren't the only phips -the teachers and Christian Brothers in particular, were the worst phips of the lot of them.
Original Dub

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Original Dub wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

OD, you're of a different generation to me, I'd say. I couldn't imagine that going down to well in the CBS school I went to on the north side of Dublin back in the seventies.

I didn't know you were so old mate ;)

I went to a CBS as well, although it was the 90's when I was in secondary.

The prefects weren't the only phips -the teachers and Christian Brothers in particular, were the worst phips of the lot of them.

Hoy less of the SO old. The ould Christian Brothers. They were a bit special weren't they. I had older brothers and by all accounts it was worse back in the sixties.
By and large I thought, in my era the worst of it was gone. I can only remember ever getting one good hiding from them, whereas I used to regularly see the same guys getting picked on every day. Some weren't bad but, as you say most were a bunch of Phips.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:04 pm

My secondary school was a CBS too - St. Ambrose in Hale. Full of posh fuckers.......and me. Hated the teachers usually. I think a lot of the old habits did die out though by the time i was in school (late 90s/early 2000s) thankfully.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:15 pm

twosips wrote:My secondary school was a CBS too - St. Ambrose in Hale. Full of posh fuckers.......and me. Hated the teachers usually. I think a lot of the old habits did die out though by the time i was in school (late 90s/early 2000s) thankfully.

I didn't even know there were CBS's in England. I thought they were a peculiarly Irish thing.
I couldn't see them getting away with the stuff they got away with over here.
Different times I know but, our parents were very prone to sticking their heads in the sand.

That Messi fella is a bit good by the way.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:32 pm

twosips wrote:My secondary school was a CBS too - St. Ambrose in Hale. Full of posh fuckers.......and me. Hated the teachers usually. I think a lot of the old habits did die out though by the time i was in school (late 90s/early 2000s) thankfully.

Thats where I sent my lad! small world!

Messi will be Barca player coach in his 30's, he wont leave.
Wonderwall

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I didn't even know there were CBS's in England. I thought they were a peculiarly Irish thing.
Different times I know but, our parents were very prone to sticking their heads in the sand.

Fuck messi.

This is a thread about christian brothers, prefects and other phips.

They could give beatings alright.
Although they had largely stopped that shit during my time.

One of them threw a piece of timber and it missed my head by a phip hair, so they still had that nastiness in them.
Original Dub

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Original Dub wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Fuck messi.

This is a thread about christian brothers, prefects and other phips.

They could give beatings alright.
Although they had largely stopped that shit during my time.

One of them threw a piece of timber and it missed my head by a phip hair, so they still had that nastiness in them.

We used to have dusters fuqued at us regularly. It was always funny when it wasn't you on the receiving end. At least when you're a kid that's the way you saw it.
We used to hide the dusters then meaning when one class was over the next teacher coming in couldn't rub out the previous lesson. Little bastards, we were, when you think about it. Probably a nightmare to teach.
Messi would never have survived in a CBS. They'd make him play Gaelic football and hurling. We weren't allowed play 'soccer' in our school.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

I'm never putting any hypothetical young lads of mine through a same-sex secondary school. I didn't care when I was eleven but in hindsight I was fucking awful around women until i was about nineteen as a result!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 pm

I can see this one really catching on. derby day match thread could look interesting if it does
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:23 pm

twosips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

I'm never putting any hypothetical young lads of mine through a same-sex secondary school. I didn't care when I was eleven but in hindsight I was fucking awful around women until i was about nineteen as a result!

I think its down to the individual, I have 3, one went to Sale Grammar, one went to St Ambrose and one to BTH.
They all liked their school too.
Wonderwall

Postby twosips » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

ha of course. For me it was an average experience to be honest. The lack of football was main gripe...fuck rugby schools.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:59 pm

twosips wrote:ha of course. For me it was an average experience to be honest. The lack of football was main gripe...fuck rugby schools.

It's great the way this thread has turned into where not to send your kid to school.
Regarding the Christian Brothers and their violence. I don't want it to sound like that's all there was. I actually have great memories from my school days, mainly due to all the class mates in my year. They were a good bunch.
I'd have much rathered the CB's than the psychological torture the girls had to put up with, with the nuns.
Anyway, Messi. Let's see him with a Hurley in his hand for the first time being told by a Brother, get stuck in or you'll get hurt.
That's the sum total of the coaching involved, my first time.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby dazby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 am

I was head prefect. I got a badge. That was it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am

dazby wrote:I was head prefect. I got a badge. That was it.

You got it IN the badge more like ;-)
Last edited by Original Dub on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum