EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

twosips wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:
twosips wrote:He didn't look anywhere near as comfortable on the ball in tight spaces as our lot did.

This.

Both of our full-backs looked more comfortable on the ball under pressure than he did.

There was one moment in the first half where Maffeo was surrounded by two and he pirouetted between the two of em, did a little drag back and played a nice simple pass to Humphreys. It was excellent. Kinda thing you'd expect from Nasri. Angelino was doing that all game too. You'd never see that from our current fullbacks (and that isn't a criticism as such)

Just a fact.

These lads at the back are better footballers than the first team players. If they can match up the other side of the game,they will be better footballers in our first team. If they can't they won't. Signs are good.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Here's a question for anyone who went last night.

You saw Angelino, flying in winning the ball in all areas of the pitch. Distribution, decision making; lightning fast, creative, intelligent, sprinting up & down the left side, over & over, still going at 90 mins, great crosses, & finally a perfectly delivered free kick.

Forgetting for one minute that he was playing left back: What exactly can James Milner do, in a wide position, right now, that Angelino can't ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Here's a question for anyone who went last night.

You saw Angelino, flying in winning the ball in all areas of the pitch. Distribution, decision making; lightning fast, creative, intelligent, sprinting up & down the left side, over & over, still going at 90 mins, great crosses, & finally a perfectly delivered free kick.

Forgetting for one minute that he was playing left back: What exactly can James Milner do, in a wide position, right now, that Angelino can't ?

play for England?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Here's a question for anyone who went last night.

Football nous is what Milner has, better strength on the ball and an appreciation of others around him. Angelino and Milner are different types Ted - like comparing apples to oranges.

Conversely having seen Kean Bryan last night, Id see him in the squad asap doing a job in the central hold role before the seasons out. Has the body type to do it, the natural football intelligence to do it and the touch on the ball to survive.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Not having it that Milner has any better appreciation of others around him than Angelino does. He has strength on him but i dont think Angelino will struggle there.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I can't accept that Milner has a better picture of players around him than Angelino. I would say the absolute opposite, really to some tune. I don't think I've ever seen Milner play the kind of passes Angelino played over the top for Barker, or the quick one two stuff. In fact I'd say he couldn't pass a ball like that, even if he did see it.

Physical strength certainly, experience, headers. Not much else imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:07 pm

You see him a lot more than I ever have Ted but I'm impressed not just by Angelino's quality but also his maturity. I was very impressed by the interview he gave the Club as part of the 'ones to Watch series'. He's just 18 and already owns a Mercedes but he seems to have his feet on the ground. I

I hope and believe that the Club really means what it says about being serious in bringing forward our youngsters. If not there'll be a lot of bitterly disappointed fans. I'm not suggesting we never buy a top quality player. I very much hope we get Pogba for instance. However, we need to see some opportunities for some of the kids starting next year. The MEN suggested Denayer would get into the squad in 2016 when MDM leaves. That's crazy. He should be brought in this August assuming he has a half decent pre season. I also think we must give some youngsters a decent chance in the domestic Cups. If we go out early so be it. We didn't exactly do very well this year playing our strongest sides. The other thing we must avoid is just buying in young players without considering carefully whether this or that purchase would block the prospects of our better young players.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 pm

The thing is the carling cup is basically a free pass to play some kids. No fan deep down gives a shit about that competition really and I think it's win win. Play a few kids and we win - great. Play some and we don't then ah well at least the youth got a chance. It's almost expected that kids get a chance so there wouldn't be a backlash which makes it all the more baffling.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I think we missed a trick not getting several of them started this season. But it's done now. We want to make sure we don't make the same mistake next season.

I don't think there would be any harm in the players we saw last night playing another season in the EDS. We could loan out the older ones such as Byrne, Pozo etc & use this U18s side as the full EDS team, plus keeping the likes of Denayer etc maybe Cole, Iheanacho sharp between first team games. But there must also be a connection with the first team.

No reason at all one or two of these lads shouldn't figure in every squad next season & get on the pitch whenever possible. Lopes & Denayer should be playing regularly. Then we have to decide on Cole, Evans etc; whether they stay or go. If they stay, then they should play games in the first team too.

If some are tried & clearly not aready, they could then go on loan to give them a bit more experience. But we should be finding out first, by playing them. And if they perform well, then favour them over the lesser performing older players. If the older players then sulk about it; sell them.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm

twosips wrote:The thing is the carling cup is basically a free pass to play some kids. No fan deep down gives a shit about that competition really and I think it's win win. Play a few kids and we win - great. Play some and we don't then ah well at least the youth got a chance. It's almost expected that kids get a chance so there wouldn't be a backlash which makes it all the more baffling.

I do. I celebrated like a mad man when we won it and was probably more gutted to go out of it this year than I'll be about our CL exit.
But yes, we should give younger players a chance in that comp.

Carry on
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby blues2win » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:51 pm

I think Denayer would learn a lot playing with MDM in the domestic cups and the odd league game. Great experience to play with a World Cup finalist. But if he is included in the first team squad he must get games otherwise he's better off with a loan to a Premiership team which I think he'd get.
blues2win

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Out of last night's U18s team, I can only think of 3 (Tosin, Cameron Humphreys & the keeper, Haug) who would benefit from spending next season in the EDS, if they are not getting any first team football.

The rest need at least a taste of higher level stuff imo. I recon Vieira would much prefer to keep them at City & continue coaching them but imo they need to get at least a feel for the first team. If we can just give them a run out here & there, then they can also train together as a team. They will get stronger as the season goes on & by the end of it, we may have ten more players in the first team squad.

If we can't give them that, we should ship them all out on loan imo. Otherwise when they do get a chance, they will be so anxious, having waited so long, they are much more likely to fuck up.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dmitri Mendeleev » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Last night, taking the advice of the likes of Ted and Doug, I came to see my first Junior game in this marvellous arena. And as everyone on here points out it was a very special experience. The only downside was that I couldn't get hold of a Team Sheet so it is difficult for me to put names on all the players.

It's not just the quick control of the ball or the rapid weighted passes but the body shape when they receive the ball (come on mate just try to take it off me!), the non-stop support for each other (look up and choose anyone of 3 passes) and the telepathy that comes with years of practise - they seemed to know where their mates were running.

One player in the Centre of the field was having an outstanding game intercepting, controlling and passing (Bryan?). I did wonder whether this lad was our best prospect. Those mid-fielders have to shield the ball from opponents who come at them from all angles - like a swarm of bees. Making time to do this and then laying off a good pass requires a lot of skill and stamina.

And then I had to watch the jaw-dropping Angelino. You have the ball one yard from the touchline, closely surrounded by 3 or 4 opponents and you leave them behind from a standing start to create mayhem upfront - there will not be many players in the world who could do this. Already good enough for the first team, better than Kolarov or Milner? Don't know, but what I do notice is his symbiotic relationship with Barker. So why not train players from an early age in pairs, so they learn to read each others game as well as these two do?

The saddest thing about all this? - I'll probably be pushing up daisies when it explodes!
Dmitri Mendeleev
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby blues2win » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Good stuff Dmitri. Your enthusiasm is infectious. You'll be around for a long time yet, I'm sure.
blues2win

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:18 am

blues2win wrote:Good stuff Dmitri. Your enthusiasm is infectious. You'll be around for a long time yet, I'm sure.

+1

This is a great thread, it's a refreshing change from the moaning going on in nearly every other thread on the board.

Thanks to all who attend these games and that take the time to share their thoughts here.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dameerto » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed your match mate - that did sound like Bryan you described - he played the holding role in the televised match from a week or so ago and was sharp from first whistle 'til the end of the match, I had him down as my man of the match in that one and it seems like he is consistent.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Dameerto wrote:Glad to hear you enjoyed your match mate - that did sound like Bryan you described - he played the holding role in the televised match from a week or so ago and was sharp from first whistle 'til the end of the match, I had him down as my man of the match in that one and it seems like he is consistent.

Have to say I have been impressed with Bryan on the few occasions I have seen him, he has played Centre Back most of the time I have watched him and has been good there also. Would be nice to see a local lad get a run our for the first team.
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:34 am

Just so everyone is aware,

Roma v Manchester City u19s will be screened live today on Eurosport at 5pm (GMT)
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am

Wonderwall wrote:Just so everyone is aware,

Roma v Manchester City u19s will be screened live today on Eurosport at 5pm (GMT)

Really looking forward to watching this. Shame Barker is injured but it will be interesting to see how they select a team without him to hopefully still have a threat on the left side to play with Angelino
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Just so everyone is aware,

Thanks for that WW. Looking forward to it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum