Welcome Erling Haaland

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Erling Haaland

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 am

City64 wrote:Two huge standout things about Haaland when you see him play live at a game ( seen him twice now at the Etihad ) which you don’t pick up on any TV broadcast….
1, He is quick with an exceptional 20 yard burst of speed .
2, He is incredibly strong and balanced.

We knew about that when he was at Dortmund.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:33 am

sheblue wrote:
City64 wrote:Two huge standout things about Haaland when you see him play live at a game ( seen him twice now at the Etihad ) which you don’t pick up on any TV broadcast….
1, He is quick with an exceptional 20 yard burst of speed .
2, He is incredibly strong and balanced.

We knew about that when he was at Dortmund.

Real speed real life …….. seeing Haaland is like watching a thoroughbred racehorse in the flesh if you get my drift . A beast !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby belleebee » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:51 am

Pretty decent article on Erling in the DT (if you can access it).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -managers/
belleebee
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Dimples » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:22 am

Really looking forward to Haaland Vs. VVD. 16 Oct, Liverpool away.
As the best defender ever, he should have Haaland in his pocket..........
Last edited by Dimples on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:42 am

Not sure I'd use the word " balanced ". Has a wanchope esque of gangly at times :D
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:22 am

Nick wrote:Not sure I'd use the word " balanced ". Has a wanchope esque of gangly at times :D

hard to look graceful when you’re 6’5”
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PeterParker » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:09 am

I think he might be ok.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:44 am

PeterParker wrote:I think he might be ok.

his second goal may have been a tap in but look at the build up - he was immense! demonstrated that he is far more than just a goal scorer.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby sheblue » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:56 am

Its still early days yet but would anyone like to guess how many points we would have without his goals? Of course is difficult to say because someone else would have played in his place, but I guess we wouldn't have scored as many and its only early September!

We have seen indifferent form from some players this season so far, Walker, Rodri, Silva, Foden, Kevin etc have had their off periods. i am not saying Haaland has carried but I do feel his goals and contribution have papered over these cracks a little bit for us. Good news is we will become more fluid and cohesive as a unit, and as games go by, and with that uplift in play this lad could even score more goals than he is now.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:13 am

sheblue wrote:Its still early days yet but would anyone like to guess how many points we would have without his goals? Of course is difficult to say because someone else would have played in his place, but I guess we wouldn't have scored as many and its only early September!

We have seen indifferent form from some players this season so far, Walker, Rodri, Silva, Foden, Kevin etc have had their off periods. i am not saying Haaland has carried but I do feel his goals and contribution have papered over these cracks a little bit for us. Good news is we will become more fluid and cohesive as a unit, and as games go by, and with that uplift in play this lad could even score more goals than he is now.

We would have setup and played differently, so it's impossible to say we would have scored significantly less - I think Bernardo, Foden, Mahrez, Gundo, De Bruyne would have taken up most of the slack and all been more competent in a setup that they are familiar with from previous years. Lack of familiarity with a way of playing, plus our normal early season rustiness is making it look like we're struggling more than is actually the case I think.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:24 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
sheblue wrote:Its still early days yet but would anyone like to guess how many points we would have without his goals? Of course is difficult to say because someone else would have played in his place, but I guess we wouldn't have scored as many and its only early September!

We would have setup and played differently, so it's impossible to say we would have scored significantly less - I think Bernardo, Foden, Mahrez, Gundo, De Bruyne would have taken up most of the slack and all been more competent in a setup that they are familiar with from previous years. Lack of familiarity with a way of playing, plus our normal early season rustiness is making it look like we're struggling more than is actually the case I think.

Agree Sparty

The same argument was had over at the swamp last year with Ronaldo and his goals. Maybe without him they played a different way and got betters results? It is subjective and unquantifiable
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dimples » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:33 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Agree Sparty

The same argument was had over at the swamp last year with Ronaldo and his goals. Maybe without him they played a different way and got betters results? It is subjective and unquantifiable

What is certain is that Pep wanted a CF.
We went all out for Kane and then followed that up with going for Haaland.
For me, that means that Pep thinks we will be better with a CF than without one.
Currently our play is being realigned to incorporate a CF. So blips are expected. Haaland is so exceptionally brilliant that the transition is less painful than with a 'normal' CF.
I think we are going to be awesome when we get things sorted out.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby patrickblue » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:17 pm

Dimples wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Agree Sparty

What is certain is that Pep wanted a CF.
We went all out for Kane and then followed that up with going for Haaland.
For me, that means that Pep thinks we will be better with a CF than without one.
Currently our play is being realigned to incorporate a CF. So blips are expected. Haaland is so exceptionally brilliant that the transition is less painful than with a 'normal' CF.
I think we are going to be awesome when we get things sorted out.

The bit I find puzzling is why Pep was so insistent on Kun being more of a team player? If we're talking about exceptionally brilliant centre forwards, Sergio certainly was that, especially in comparison with Kane.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 pm

He's gonna get bored and lonely when the World Cup kicks off.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:53 am

johnny crossan wrote:He's gonna get bored and lonely when the World Cup kicks off.

Wouldn't think so. He will be making a beeline to Marbella.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 am

Love these comments by inzaghi on haaland.

“Haaland is difficult to mark because if you are on him, he moves you with his body and while you try to get back into position, he’s already gone.

"And if you’re not on him, you risk only finding him when he’s celebrating."
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Original Dub wrote:Love these comments by inzaghi on haaland.

“Haaland is difficult to mark because if you are on him, he moves you with his body and while you try to get back into position, he’s already gone.

"And if you’re not on him, you risk only finding him when he’s celebrating."

Brilliant
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dazby » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:58 am

I was talking to a Norwegian woman today about our Erling. Oh my goodness, I should have recorded her saying his name. So good.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm

Bumped into Alfie on Friday near the print works
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am

dazby wrote:I was talking to a Norwegian woman today about our Erling. Oh my goodness, I should have recorded her saying his name. So good.

I heard a Swedish person pronounce 'Malmö' for the first time ever about 10 days ago. Nothing like I thought it should be from listening to football commentators...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum