Messi

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Messi

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am

Slim wrote:Well isn't my brother a bloody spoilsport, we could have had 20 threads all called Messi.

This brother, is he a Christian? Yeah thought as much.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:55 am

This sums up the best payer the world has ever seen!

Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

If the new deal is true we can use that extra 40 mil a year to sign Messi and get other sponsors to pay his wages.

If Carlsberg did dreams, they'd be dreaming of Etihad.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:26 am

Wonderwall wrote:This sums up the best payer the world has ever seen!

Like I said. He's a bit good, isn't he.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Wonderwall, put Messi in the hobnail boots that Di Stefano played in, using a ball so heavy that when it was wet it'd break your neck if you headed it, playing on pitches that were no better than ploughed fields for most of the season and at a time when defenders could not only tackle you but could rake your achilles and stay on the pitch and I think his (Messi's) statistics would be a lot less impressive, to say the least.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Wonderwall, put Messi in the hobnail boots that Di Stefano played in, using a ball so heavy that when it was wet it'd break your neck if you headed it, playing on pitches that were no better than ploughed fields for most of the season and at a time when defenders could not only tackle you but could rake your achilles and stay on the pitch and I think his (Messi's) statistics would be a lot less impressive, to say the least.

But you try tellin' dat t'de kids today! Don't know they're born!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:40 pm

It is not possible, or fair, to compare today's players so favourably, to the greats of the past.

It's the same as comparing today's cricket batting stats to those before players wore helmets. Different skills were required, in both cases, & modern sportspeople have a pretty much incalculable advantage.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It is not possible, or fair, to compare today's players so favourably, to the greats of the past.

It's the same as comparing today's cricket batting stats to those before players wore helmets. Different skills were required, in both cases, & modern sportspeople have a pretty much incalculable advantage.

For one thing, without those growth hormones in the 1950s Messi would probably have ended up being 3' 2".
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Wonderwall, put Messi in the hobnail boots that Di Stefano played in, using a ball so heavy that when it was wet it'd break your neck if you headed it, playing on pitches that were no better than ploughed fields for most of the season and at a time when defenders could not only tackle you but could rake your achilles and stay on the pitch and I think his (Messi's) statistics would be a lot less impressive, to say the least.

Pros and cons for both arguments, Messi is still skipping past people who are also NOT wearing hobnailed boots etc, he going past athletes like they are statues. I dont disagree with your point but there is always a counter argument, plus, anyone trying to play down what messi is doing/has acheived is deluded
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Pros and cons for both arguments, Messi is still skipping past people who are also NOT wearing hobnailed boots etc, he going past athletes like they are statues. I dont disagree with your point but there is always a counter argument, plus, anyone trying to play down what messi is doing/has acheived is deluded

Messi is easily the best right now imo, miles better than Ronaldo. He only lost to Ronaldo because of a dip in form imo. Ronaldo has a couple of great abilities which are unstoppable at times, but Messi can do pretty much anything.

But he would have found it a lot more difficult in the past & many of those players would have had a lot more protection, & fitness, today.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Messi is easily the best right now imo, miles better than Ronaldo. He only lost to Ronaldo because of a dip in form imo. Ronaldo has a couple of great abilities which are unstoppable at times, but Messi can do pretty much anything.

But he would have found it a lot more difficult in the past & many of those players would have had a lot more protection, & fitness, today.

Absolutely.

Ronaldo is probably better in the air but, for my money, that's about it and Messi holds all the cards with regard to other technical abilities.

Don't know if this is true, or not, but Messi just seems to be a more rounded, well balanced and likeable personality altogether.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby twosips » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:30 pm

I guess Messi could have also been stronger and tougher and eventually adapted to that environment too though. I'm too young to know how good previous generations were but i find it hard to believe that many of them improved on Messi's first touch, technique, vision and finishing ability as his is near perfection.

I actually don't think Messi is the player he was three or four years ago for what its worth. He's not as fast as he was meaning he can't go on full length dribbles and beat five men like he used to - it's why he passes it a lot more these days. His game has changed (bit gutted, cos i did prefer his more explosive past which meant he nearly scored the greatest solo goal you've ever seen basically once per match) but he's still by far the best player in the world. I'm of the same school of thought that Ronaldo doesn't even come close too.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby twosips » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

This is what i'm on about..

Watch on youtube.com

You don't quite see that electric burst of pace anymore.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

There certainly is two sides to the argument, but given that no matter what the era was the conditions were the same for all their respective contemporaries, then it is still remarkable that Messi holds all of the records being compared. The other side of that however is that he holds them now in his time. Whether he'll hold them all in the future when his playing days are over remains to be seen.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:40 pm

I think the main difference between Messi and Ronaldo, as far as being a genuine great is concerned, is that Messi is able to dominate in the big games (generally), whereas Ronaldo generally goes missing (aside from the occasional goal/good game).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:54 pm

At Chelsea next season with Cesc.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Hazy2 wrote:At Chelsea next season with Cesc.

Who the hell are they going to sell at inflated prices to fund that?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:32 pm

twosips wrote:I guess Messi could have also been stronger and tougher and eventually adapted to that environment too though. I'm too young to know how good previous generations were but i find it hard to believe that many of them improved on Messi's first touch, technique, vision and finishing ability as his is near perfection.

I actually don't think Messi is the player he was three or four years ago for what its worth. He's not as fast as he was meaning he can't go on full length dribbles and beat five men like he used to - it's why he passes it a lot more these days. His game has changed (bit gutted, cos i did prefer his more explosive past which meant he nearly scored the greatest solo goal you've ever seen basically once per match) but he's still by far the best player in the world. I'm of the same school of thought that Ronaldo doesn't even come close too.

I thought so too until I saw him at the Etihad a couple of weeks ago, head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch in terms of technical ability.

And this is where he beats Ronaldo as a footballer. Messi is just a pure natural gifted footballer whereas Ronaldo is more an athlete. In other words Messi didn't have to work too hard to hone his skills he just has them. Ronaldo on the other hand has had to put in the graft to reach that level.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
twosips wrote:I guess Messi could have also been stronger and tougher and eventually adapted to that environment too though. I'm too young to know how good previous generations were but i find it hard to believe that many of them improved on Messi's first touch, technique, vision and finishing ability as his is near perfection.

I thought so too until I saw him at the Etihad a couple of weeks ago, head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch in terms of technical ability.

And this is where he beats Ronaldo as a footballer. Messi is just a pure natural gifted footballer whereas Ronaldo is more an athlete. In other words Messi didn't have to work too hard to hone his skills he just has them. Ronaldo on the other hand has had to put in the graft to reach that level.

The Artist and The Artisan.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm

In a way though, that is more credit to Ronaldo. I think he is similar to Beckham in that regard & every bit as obnoxious too.

But it annoys me that more footballers do not do the same. I think Yaya's free kicks last season were a direct result of a bit of added practice, possibly under wind up from Nasri, & the lack of them this season, is because of all the shit during pre season, & the world cup.

Ten years ago, every rag kid could take a free kick. I think that's due to the infuence of seeing Beckham & possibly Ronaldo, putting in hours of extra work. Beckham picked it up from Cantona.

I fully believe most of the real top players could do most of what Ronaldo does. He just wanted it more.
Last edited by Ted Hughes on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum