The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:57 pm

Agreed terms apparently. I'm just waiting for a date as I promised to drive him down myself
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm

john@staustell wrote:Agreed terms apparently. I'm just waiting for a date as I promised to drive him down myself

:lol: imagine going from 1st to 3rd. Absolute loser.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:11 pm

john@staustell wrote:Agreed terms apparently. I'm just waiting for a date as I promised to drive him down myself

:lol: :lol:

Wait in line, pal.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:26 pm

I want to know how Johnny crossan is today ?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby zuricity » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 pm

On the whole he's been a great player for City. He needs a change , we no longer need him . Good luck to him. I hope he enjoys his time at chelsea. It wont be at our expense though.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:38 pm

PeterParker wrote:

Wait in line, pal.

:D

I'll struggle to get his fish tank wall in my car.

Wonder if Trent AA will buy the fish?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby zuricity » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Wait in line, pal.

:D

I'll struggle to get his fish tank wall in my car.

Wonder if Trent AA will buy the fish?

and put them on the grill.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Mase » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:45 pm

zuricity wrote:On the whole he's been a great player for City. He needs a change , we no longer need him . Good luck to him. I hope he enjoys his time at chelsea. It wont be at our expense though.

Spot on.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 pm

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... #no-js-nav

Good luck Razzer. All good things come to an end.
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dimples » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:15 pm

nottsblue wrote:https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12645562/raheem-sterling-man-city-forward-agrees-personal-terms-with-chelsea#no-js-nav

Good luck Razzer. All good things come to an end.

IMO Sterling's biggest weakness, is that he is not a clinical finisher, especially in big matches where scoring chances are at a premium. That is very costly. He brings plenty of other good stuff to the party but imo his fatal flaw for us was his finishing.

Snippets from the above article state Sterling is the solution to Chelsea's goal scoring problems:
'...Chelsea looking for more firepower after Romelu Lukaku rejoined Inter Milan on loan...' and 'Tuchel was desperate to add a decisive edge in the final third to cure Chelsea's goal scoring issues'

I cannot see how Sterling is going to fix any teams goal scoring issues?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Mase » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:21 pm

Loved Raza a few years ago. Was one of my favourite players and got into physical fights with scousers in France because I was defending him. The season he banged 90+ minute winner after winner in was his peak and I loved that Sterling.

The fact we’ve got back what we paid for him plus all the goals is excellent.

I think he’ll regret moving, but if he wants one last big pay day so be it. I just hope he doesn’t ruin it by digging us out when he leaves.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:35 pm

can’t say i’m disappointed
one of the most frustrating players we’ve ever had
some cracking goals, important ones at that
but also guilty of some of the most shocking i’ve ever seen
thanks and bye raheem
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Have to say, I am really pissed off Sterling is leaving and we are selling him to a direct rival and strengthening them. FFS if some.people. thought Sterling was a poor finisher, look at what Chelsea have in Werner. Sterling is miles better.

I understand if we are holding our ground on his contract, we offered him a new one and want him to stay. If he says no, then sell him now and get a good price for someone with 1 yr left.

Not too happy about this leaving to achieve personal ambition bullshit either. It will all come out in good time, I like the stance of, if you don't want to be here, then fuck off, but on our terms.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Have to say, I am really pissed off Sterling is leaving and we are selling him to a direct rival and strengthening them. FFS if some.people. thought Sterling was a poor finisher, look at what Chelsea have in Werner. Sterling is miles better.

I.

Well I guess you could look at it like that. Werner is one of the worst finishers I've ever seen apart from a bloke called Malcolm who played in the Duchy league with me 40 odd years ago
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ENIAM NAM » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 pm

The thing is, it’s not just his finishing. His misses hit the headlines and fans talk about them, but the majority of our build up play also breaks down with him. He has been a good servant of the club at an important time in our recent growth, but he is simply not good enough for where we are now. Good luck to him.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:39 pm

Doubt he will do a goodbye vid like jesus..

Im personally buzzing.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sparklehorse » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:45 pm

I think one of the reasons his finishing generally was poor given the chances he was presented with is that he has a woeful first touch, his pace made up for some of those poor touches. If he’d had a Mahrez first touch, he would have scored lots more. He was very good for two seasons…..the rest of the time it was meh !!
If he took on a defender early in a game and failed to get past, that was it. Occasionally he was brilliant, most of the time he was frustrating, I wish him well and he may be rejuvenated by a new challenge.
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Sparklehorse wrote:I think one of the reasons his finishing generally was poor given the chances he was presented with is that he has a woeful first touch, his pace made up for some of those poor touches. If he’d had a Mahrez first touch, he would have scored lots more. He was very good for two seasons…..the rest of the time it was meh !!
If he took on a defender early in a game and failed to get past, that was it. Occasionally he was brilliant, most of the time he was frustrating, I wish him well and he may be rejuvenated by a new challenge.
his acceleration is unmatched in top flight football and he knows Pep's tactics inside out - the ultimate system player. If he goes it'll be a blow and we'll need to replace him for sure.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby branny » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:10 pm

I'd have been more concerned if he'd gone to Spurs. I think Conte has missed a trick there. Sterling links up well with Kane and would have cost less than the Brazilian who spends more time on the floor than Neymar.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:12 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:I think one of the reasons his finishing generally was poor given the chances he was presented with is that he has a woeful first touch, his pace made up for some of those poor touches. If he’d had a Mahrez first touch, he would have scored lots more. He was very good for two seasons…..the rest of the time it was meh !!
his acceleration is unmatched in top flight football and he knows Pep's tactics inside out - the ultimate system player. If he goes it'll be a blow and we'll need to replace him for sure.

Not sure mate on either front. Noise from the club is palmer (we all screamed for more chances for him and mcatee); with mahrez playing more and foden/alvarez there. Im on the fence on a replacement. Gnabry has been offered on crazy money.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum