LESCOTT

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: LESCOTT

Postby crossan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 am

We have paid about £15m over the odds for lescott but that seems to be derigour for my old club,we are becoming a laughing stock to some and despised by others..............we are like Chelsea were when Abramovich took the over but everyone seems to be happy to go along with it,I find that I am increasingly losing my passion not only for City but for football in general,its something that I never thought I would ever say.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 am

crossan wrote:We have paid about £15m over the odds for lescott but that seems to be derigour for my old club,we are becoming a laughing stock to some and despised by others..............we are like Chelsea were when Abramovich took the over but everyone seems to be happy to go along with it,I find that I am increasingly losing my passion not only for City but for football in general,its something that I never thought I would ever say.

iit was only a matter of time until you burst everyones bubble.

Decent signing im happy enough lets see him compete with onouha and possibly dunne. Hes not a cert for me to start every game.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:46 am

crossan wrote:We have paid about £15m over the odds for lescott but that seems to be derigour for my old club,we are becoming a laughing stock to some and despised by others..............we are like Chelsea were when Abramovich took the over but everyone seems to be happy to go along with it,I find that I am increasingly losing my passion not only for City but for football in general,its something that I never thought I would ever say.

fantastic.
I hear Maine Road FC are doing alright. Jump on that one mate.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:52 am

As anyone mentioned the 11 am conference?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:55 am

Beefymcfc wrote:As anyone mentioned the 11 am conference?

don't think so fella. we are all aware now though :D i'll be interested to hear what Lescott has to say.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby sandman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am

We never would have had any future success without money, plus anyone who is successful is despised by all anyway.

I wish we had got success another way, but it isnt Man City who have changed, it is football in general over the last 15 years, Man City are just rolling with the times and doing it on a larger scale... Plus to be hated is a compliment, it means teams both respect and fear you, Eastlands is now being seen as a difficult place to come, and if teams are not coming looking for three points then they are much less likely to get them.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 am

I think many understand your thoughts, however it's hard to see how we can get to the top any other way. If this didn't happen, we would have had to rely on the Academy to get us out of mid to lower premier league status, and do you really think that could happen?

The words 'Onwards and Upwards' spring to mind with our current situation, and as long as you remember the past, enjoy the present and embrace the future, you can't go wrong mate!

Unless you just want a whinge of course, then no-one can help you!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

Great signing...our team looks incredible on paper now

Is this really City?

I just can't believe it has happened to us...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby saulman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:13 am

crossan wrote:We have paid about £15m over the odds for lescott but that seems to be derigour for my old club,we are becoming a laughing stock to some and despised by others...............

First off, we didn't pay for Lescott. Our new owner did. That would be our new owner who has no human rights issues and is a totally different owner to the 'evil tyrant' one who saved us from oblivion 2 years ago. Regardless of the fact that our new owners are whiter than white and have conducted themselves in a manner that's been nothing short of impecable, you are now finding fault with the amounts of money they choose to spend because unlike Thaksin, there is nothing else for you to moan about.

With regards us being a laughing stock.....? Where have you been for the last 30+ years? I'm 37 and I'm pretty sure that I can't properly remember us being anything else. In fact, this seems to be the first time I feel as a City supporter that we have not been a laughing stock.

Would you please quit with the negative bollocks mate and try and look forward to a nice bright future, instead of harping back to a glorious past that most of us missed.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:20 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:

fantastic.
I hear Maine Road FC are doing alright. Jump on that one mate.

Bury also need more fans,Crossan why dont you go watch them you misery.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 am

Cheer up Crossan.

Thing is, I never moaned about Chelsea. Loads of people did but I didn't. I remember writing a long post at the time about it as well. Chelsea got lucky and while I was envious to them I never really thought there's anything wrong with it. Now it was our time to be lucky. Maybe in future some other traditional, yet underachieving, Club will get lucky.

It's whole different question whether it's right that football is how it is. Sheik and Roman only play by the rules and limits set by other people long before them. Setting up of Premier League and David Dein's lobbying had part to play but you could as well argue that it was actually Jimmy Hill's struggle to liberate players from wage ceilings that lead to this. Or overall change in world economics in last 50 years. Probably combination of all and more.

Once the 100k mark in player transfers was broken it has been very ridiculous from the point of view of normal people. What difference does it make whether the going price in markets for player is one million or ten million or hundred million? They are all astronomical numbers to pay for employer moving from one company to other. Maybe it's age thing but in my thirty years of following football and 24 years supporting City none of it ever made any sense for average Joe's or Antti's. It's just the way it is and I don't see any reason to fight it. If these people see spending hundreds of millions on entertainments business (and let's face it, that's what football really is these days for most if not for hardcore couple of percent) as good investment or interesting venture then so be it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Craig B » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:32 am

I don't necessarily agree that we've become a laughing stock by any means - there's no doubting we've paid over the odds for most of our buys this summer. Then again, I suppose it really depends on how you look at it. What was that old Oscar Wilde phrase again - people seem to know the price of everything but the value of nothing? I think it's appropriate for our situation. People might harp on about the price of our signings but the fact is our need is so great to get us to the next level on the playing field that we perhaps put a greater value on them than others might. So I'm not concerned with the outlay we've made - it's a means to an end.

Where I do sort of agree is on losing the passion a little bit. I, like everyone at COMS on Saturday, was really looking forward to the game on Saturday (and at Blackburn) but I found myself refusing to join in with about 50% of our songs during the game because they were so lame. All this 'We Are Fucking Loaded' (no we're not.. Sheik Mansour is), and 'We'll Buy Your Club And Burn It Down' bollocks just knocks me sick. Just doesn't feel the City way of doing things - perhaps I'll change my view after a few games but that was the way I felt on Saturday.
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

Top signing :)
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

Its bound to be different we now go to games expecting us to play well and win and its going to take some getting used to for a lot of us blues.
You know what ill take that every day of the week than getting built up all week for the game then getting fucked over time after time after fucking time and returning to the pub and seeing my fellow blues sat there sad as anything berating the club,players,managers,chairman,pie sellers etc i hate seeing us Blues down and its about time we rose up.

This is the new City,were now genuine contenders and for me i cant wait. This is my reward and i intend to enjoy it.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Its bound to be different we now go to games expecting us to play well and win and its going to take some getting used to for a lot of us blues.
You know what ill take that every day of the week than getting built up all week for the game then getting fucked over time after time after fucking time and returning to the pub and seeing my fellow blues sat there sad as anything berating the club,players,managers,chairman,pie sellers etc i hate seeing us Blues down and its about time we rose up.

This is the new City,were now genuine contenders and for me i cant wait. This is my reward and i intend to enjoy it.

Agree 100% LAHAD (and IBH) higher up the thread....it's just incredible stuff.

Honestly if there's anyone (who in a Colin Shindler-esque fashion) finds this "new City" not to their taste and doesn't like what we have "become".....please, please, please bugger off and support another team.

Don't hang around and ruin the fun for the rest of us.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am

Craig Bardsley wrote:Where I do sort of agree is on losing the passion a little bit. I, like everyone at COMS on Saturday, was really looking forward to the game on Saturday (and at Blackburn) but I found myself refusing to join in with about 50% of our songs during the game because they were so lame. All this 'We Are Fucking Loaded' (no we're not.. Sheik Mansour is), and 'We'll Buy Your Club And Burn It Down' bollocks just knocks me sick. Just doesn't feel the City way of doing things - perhaps I'll change my view after a few games but that was the way I felt on Saturday.

That is a very good point mate. Over the years we have seemed to lose a lot of the traditional songs that kept the atmosphere going and I sometimes can't seem to get myself going to the tune of 'We've Got Robinho'! The Hamburg game brought a few decent songs back but not heard much since. I'd like to hear/sing something with more than 3 words in it.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 am

Crossan -'we are becoming a laughing stock' - what the fuck are you on mate?

I've been laughed at for about 30 years because I support City, since the last time we had a decent side. Everyone thought it hilarious when we got relegated to the third tier, and also when Jamie Pollock scored the best goal at Maine Road, in his own net. When SCUM beat us 5-0, and then again time after time after time. When we were stark stoney broke and spent what cash we did have on shite. When Alan Ball was manager, when Frank Clark was manager. When we fought our annual relegation battle, not always successfully. 'Same old City', 'struggling Man City', 'crisis-club Man City', 'relegated Man City'.

And just because we are investing to remedy that situation, to put us back where we belong, paying the necessary rate for players the manager and board think we need to do that, you think 'WE ARE BECOMING A LAUGHING STOCK'?

I agree with Ant, NQDP, LAHAD and others. Give serious consideration to pottering off to Stockport with Shindler.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am

haha

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Craig B » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 am

ant london wrote:haha

Fucking 'ell Dolly Parton's looking rough.. still would though! ;-)
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:17 am

Any news on the press conference? Was it supposed to be at 11am?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum