Player Ratings.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ratings vs. Blackburn

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Given - 8: Pulled off 2 fantastic saves and dealt well with crosses.
Richards - 8: Looked like the Micah of old we all know and love. Keep it up lad.
Toure - 8: Never really troubled and won some important challenges in the box.
Dunne - 7: One or 2 scary moments, but otherwise very solid and saved us at least once.
Bridge - 7: Wow. If he keeps this up, he will deffo be most improved player. So much more composed.
SWP - 9: Fuclin hero. Was afraid he may lose his place with all these new signings, but he rised to the challenge today.
Barry - 8: Positional sense is superb. Very composed on the ball and never panics.
Ireland - 7: Think he'll be much quieter in the new system we're playing in. Lot of running off the ball, but only scarcely given the ball. Took his goal well (finally!)
Robinho - 6: 2 good attempts at goal, but lost possession too often for my liking.
Adebayor - 8: Good hold-up play and he linked well with the midfield. Worked a lot harder than I expected as well!
Bellamy - 8: When fit, this guy is pure class. Made a lot of space for others and I loved the numerous runs from our own half to the edge of their box.
Tevez - no rating: Didn't contribute enough to form a fair opinion. Looked eager, but if there was one thing I would criticize, it would be that I think he dallies too much on the ball. Once he had the ball on the edge of the box, he had Bellamy to his left and SWP and Ireland to his right but instead of passing he ran all the way back to the half-way line and nearly lost it.
Hughes - 9: Can't criticise the guy today. Great result, set our stall out perfectly.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Re: Ratings vs. Blackburn

Postby citydonz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Given - 8: Pulled off 2 fantastic saves and dealt well with crosses.
Richards - 8: Looked like the Micah of old we all know and love. Keep it up lad.
Toure - 8: Never really troubled and won some important challenges in the box.
Dunne - 7: One or 2 scary moments, but otherwise very solid and saved us at least once.
Bridge - 7: Wow. If he keeps this up, he will deffo be most improved player. So much more composed.
SWP - 9: Fuclin hero. Was afraid he may lose his place with all these new signings, but he rised to the challenge today.
Barry - 8: Positional sense is superb. Very composed on the ball and never panics.
Ireland - 7: Think he'll be much quieter in the new system we're playing in. Lot of running off the ball, but only scarcely given the ball. Took his goal well (finally!)
Robinho - 6: 2 good attempts at goal, but lost possession too often for my liking.
Adebayor - 8: Good hold-up play and he linked well with the midfield. Worked a lot harder than I expected as well!
Bellamy - 8: When fit, this guy is pure class. Made a lot of space for others and I loved the numerous runs from our own half to the edge of their box.
Tevez - no rating: Didn't contribute enough to form a fair opinion. Looked eager, but if there was one thing I would criticize, it would be that I think he dallies too much on the ball. Once he had the ball on the edge of the box, he had Bellamy to his left and SWP and Ireland to his right but instead of passing he ran all the way back to the half-way line and nearly lost it.
Hughes - 9: Can't criticise the guy today. Great result, set our stall out perfectly.

Would agree with 95% of that, i think however tevez was just trying to slow the game down. Get a bit of calm in the closing minutes.
Hughes impressed me subbing robbie, he isnt a 90minute player away from home.
Most encouraging thing about today: we closed a game out, didnt panic and we got our just desserts!
citydonz
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby petrov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Im thrilled with that performance tbh, not the greatest game of football ever but heres why.

Given - 7 - 2 good saves but failed to come a couple of times in first half and caused a bit of confusion.
Micah - 7 - welcome back, you can't control or pass a football to save your life, but you were very steady against an on form Pederson today. Keep it up.
Bridge - 6 - got caught out of postion about 4 times in first half, but played very well second especially when Robbie left and he had help.
Dunne - 6 - Had a couple of clangers in first half but was rock solid in the second, very composed. Passes the ball better with his head than his feet though.
Toure - 8 - Very solid and our only defender who didn't put a single foot wrong against tough opposition, how many times did you hear Mc Carthy mentioned?

Gareth Barry - 9 - fucking brilliant in my opinion, got everywhere worked his socks off, done well with the ball too.
Superman - 7 - On the fringes all afternoon worked hard again though and took a good goal.
SWP - 8 - Wasnt at his dazzling best but tracked back and helped Micah with Pederson, passed well but didn't want to take on Warnock till near the end, would of got a 7 but 2 assists is a great return for the first game of the season.
Robbie - 5 - Sorry Rob, just not his day today, a couple of decent shots but not alot else.

Ade - 8 - Did i actually imagine it or did he track back and get stuck in, scored a great goal and held up the ball reasonably well. Lazy? My arse, maybe he just needed a better manager than Wenger.
Bellamy - 9 - Didn't get alot of joy for all his effort today first half but stretched them at every opportunity. When they tired second half he really took the game to them. Just pipped by Barry on account of his h

Mark Hughes - 10- got his tactics bang on, despite a nervy period we dominated the 2nd half and eased to the win. Bringing on Tevez for Robbie was a good decision as it steadied up our left side and they didn't get a sniff after that. Every player with the exception of Robbie got stuck in and tackled, tracked back and put in a shift that'd make Vassell proud. Playing Bellamy negated Allardyces destroy the game tactic as much as possible and the sliding tackle on the fat bastard made me smile. Top marks.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Player Ratings.

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Given - 8.0 - Great shot stopping, saved an almost certain goal with his wrist. Some distribution issues, but good performance.
Richards - 7.5 - Great return to form for the lad, gives the ball away too much but was a terrier on Pedersen today.
Dunne - 6.5 - Good aerial defence but poor with his feet again, very lunging performance that causes hearts to skip beats.
Toure - 8.0 - Very solid performance, tackles with the elegance of a true class centrehalf. Wandering upfield was an eyebrow raiser.
Bridge - 8.0 - Best league performance by a long way, tackles, gets forward, everything he was supposed to be when we bought him in January.
Wright-Phillips - 7.5 - Moments of individual brilliance spattered inbetween periods of players who don't quite click yet. It showed.
Ireland - 7.0 - One of his more subdued games and I think he is trying to find his place in a 4-4-2 lineup alongside a similar player.
Barry - 9.0 - MOTM, does everything with subtle ease. Seems to have an age on the ball and shows the value of a class midfielder. Thanks Joey.
Robinho - 7.0 - Faded in and out but was more prominent late on. Unlucky not to have a goal, when he was involved he was pure class.
Bellamy - 6.5 - He doesn't stop running, but rarely put Blackburn into real trouble and his corners were Joey'esk in their lack of penetration.
Adebayor - 7.5 - Great first run out, class goal that started and finished with him. Got stuck in when needed and looked every bit the missing piece of the puzzle.

Tevez - 6.5 - Terrier like performance that needs some sharpness added to it, good minutes.
Clueless - 8.0 - Dunne to counter Roberts was spot on, keeping Tevez out was good protection and the 4-4-2 was a great switch that gave us good width and byline penetration.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby elks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Given - 7.5: Two good important saves at crucial times
Richards - 8.5: MOTM performance. Impt tackles looked strong and had head up when on ball.
Toure - 8: Commanding. Held defence together
Dunne - 7: Started shaky, got better as match went on.
Bridge - 8: V Good. Looked settled at left back. Comfortable offensive and defensive today
SWP - 8: Back to brilliant old shauny. The way ball sticks to him at times is stunning.
Barry - 8:
Ireland - 7.5
Robinho - 7.
Adebayor - 7.5
Bellamy - 8
elks
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Re: Player Ratings.

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Given 8.5 - Kept us alive with his fantastic saves
Richards 7.5 - Seemed to be nearing his best
Toure 7 - Some odd moments with new centerback pair but otherwise solid
Dunne 6 - Bad in the first half but assured in second
Bridge 7 - Decent overall performance
SWP 9 - Worked tirelesly throughout the game and capped fine performance with two assists. MOM
Ireland 7.5 - Not quite his best but some genius moments....like his goal!
Barry 8 - Nothing too fancy but was keeping us together
Robinho 6.5 - Some decent efforts but was never really his game against Blackburn
Adebayor 7.5 - Real strikers goal and showed some good touches otherwise
Bellamy 8.5 - Was too many times offside in first half but in second half was excellent holding the ball and giving us breathing space

Subs:

Tevez 5 - Didn't look very fit at all.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Given 8 = some superb saves in first half when under the cosh, and organised from the back well all game, calm and assured from the top stopper.
Richards 6 = too many aimless long balls forward to nobody, and underhit telegraphed passes that turned a reasonable situation into a "backs-2-the wall" moments, and then the odd brainless lunge, he definately needs to sort himself out sharpish, never the best RB option at the club, but better than what he showed today.
Bridge 8 = I cannot believe I have marked him higher than a 4!....after his shocking displays last season, this was a complete reversal, terrific performance from him today and that is more like it, got a few tackles in, which was a shock at first, but easily Bridge's best City display yet IMO.
Toure 8 = Calm and composed and classy on the ball, a footballing CB and it is easy to see why he had played for Arsenal and been one of their better players during his time there, terrific reading of the game.
Dunne 8 = Tower of strength at the back, put a proper CB next to Dunne and the team under pressure and the best of Dunne comes to the fore, a "backs-2-the-wall" type defender who never disappoints to roll up his sleeves and go for it, brilliant alongside Toure today.
Barry 9 = MOM for me, shows just like I was saying last season all season long, that Ireland is capable of being part of a 4 man midfield, we finally opted for the 4-4-2 approach!....classy touches, reads game tremendously well and it is easy to see why Don Fabio rates him so highly, put his England nightmare behind him with a typical consistent brilliant display that Barry has been doing for 10 years whilst at Villa.
Ireland 7 = Not his best game, I felt it passed him by for large periods of it, passing was a bit "hit-n-miss" early on, brilliantly taken goal though and was cool when slotting the chance away, got forward enough to keep the Blackburn defenders occupied, but not quite to his mesmeric standards from last year, then again that is not easy and it is only game 1.
SWP 7 = Not given the ball enough for me, having to cover all game for Richards's inability during this game to do the simple things correct, high energy performance and an assist, following his pre-season performances this was miles better and a vast improvement, although we know SWP is capable of better.
Robinho 7 = Not the game for the Brazilian genius IMO, too physical a side to play against, a ref who gave the City players nothing all game, despite Dunn saying they would "kick lumps out of us", few superb touches, but could not impose himself on the game enough, mind you when he stands at 5ft 8 and the ball in a mile in the sky, I doubt Robinho would be too lethal from there, I would guess he will light the league up when we check to see if it rolls on the ground more.
Bellamy 7 = High energy, all action and never say die attitude from the firebrand, forming a new partnership with Adebayor and the understanding might not yet be there, but he needs to learn the offside rule before they will really "hit fire", gets through a tremendous ammount of work, but just not a game he will remember come next May.
Adebayor 7 = Brilliant goal to open his account for City, some superb close control touches and flicks, but needs more help when the ball goes upto him, I felt the lack of pre-season action saw him wilt in the final 20 minutes, very good debut by Ade, but he again will be better when we play to his strengths of the ball to his feet and crosses coming in from the flanks.
Tevez 6 = Not enough time to really make an impact, a fine turn and shot forced a good save from Robinson, but needs more match time to get his sharpness and fitness levels up, it shown that he has missed all the pre-season games, will be a great crowd favourite, slowed the pace of the game down when needed to suit City, but when he is match sharp, then the opposing defenders will never get a moments peace.

Hughes 8 = Tactics spot on today, stifled Blackburns threat and got into the players at half time to get them to pass the ball more instead of lumping upfield to nobody and having it come back at them, the pressure was definately on him today, with every press box hoping for a City loss, but he got this right, lets hope many more follow the same path.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
Hughes 8 = Tactics spot on today, stifled Blackburns threat and got into the players at half time to get them to pass the ball more instead of lumping upfield to nobody and having it come back at them, the pressure was definately on him today, with every press box hoping for a City loss, but he got this right, lets hope many more follow the same path.

Yeah, as a fellow Hughes sceptic I got to say he got the tactics spot on today. Well done.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby The Original Special One » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:Given 8 = some superb saves in first half when under the cosh, and organised from the back well all game, calm and assured from the top stopper.
Richards 6 = too many aimless long balls forward to nobody, and underhit telegraphed passes that turned a reasonable situation into a "backs-2-the wall" moments, and then the odd brainless lunge, he definately needs to sort himself out sharpish, never the best RB option at the club, but better than what he showed today.
Bridge 8 = I cannot believe I have marked him higher than a 4!....after his shocking displays last season, this was a complete reversal, terrific performance from him today and that is more like it, got a few tackles in, which was a shock at first, but easily Bridge's best City display yet IMO.
Toure 8 = Calm and composed and classy on the ball, a footballing CB and it is easy to see why he had played for Arsenal and been one of their better players during his time there, terrific reading of the game.
Dunne 8 = Tower of strength at the back, put a proper CB next to Dunne and the team under pressure and the best of Dunne comes to the fore, a "backs-2-the-wall" type defender who never disappoints to roll up his sleeves and go for it, brilliant alongside Toure today.
Barry 9 = MOM for me, shows just like I was saying last season all season long, that Ireland is capable of being part of a 4 man midfield, we finally opted for the 4-4-2 approach!....classy touches, reads game tremendously well and it is easy to see why Don Fabio rates him so highly, put his England nightmare behind him with a typical consistent brilliant display that Barry has been doing for 10 years whilst at Villa.
Ireland 7 = Not his best game, I felt it passed him by for large periods of it, passing was a bit "hit-n-miss" early on, brilliantly taken goal though and was cool when slotting the chance away, got forward enough to keep the Blackburn defenders occupied, but not quite to his mesmeric standards from last year, then again that is not easy and it is only game 1.
SWP 7 = Not given the ball enough for me, having to cover all game for Richards's inability during this game to do the simple things correct, high energy performance and an assist, following his pre-season performances this was miles better and a vast improvement, although we know SWP is capable of better.
Robinho 7 = Not the game for the Brazilian genius IMO, too physical a side to play against, a ref who gave the City players nothing all game, despite Dunn saying they would "kick lumps out of us", few superb touches, but could not impose himself on the game enough, mind you when he stands at 5ft 8 and the ball in a mile in the sky, I doubt Robinho would be too lethal from there, I would guess he will light the league up when we check to see if it rolls on the ground more.
Bellamy 7 = High energy, all action and never say die attitude from the firebrand, forming a new partnership with Adebayor and the understanding might not yet be there, but he needs to learn the offside rule before they will really "hit fire", gets through a tremendous ammount of work, but just not a game he will remember come next May.
Adebayor 7 = Brilliant goal to open his account for City, some superb close control touches and flicks, but needs more help when the ball goes upto him, I felt the lack of pre-season action saw him wilt in the final 20 minutes, very good debut by Ade, but he again will be better when we play to his strengths of the ball to his feet and crosses coming in from the flanks.
Tevez 6 = Not enough time to really make an impact, a fine turn and shot forced a good save from Robinson, but needs more match time to get his sharpness and fitness levels up, it shown that he has missed all the pre-season games, will be a great crowd favourite, slowed the pace of the game down when needed to suit City, but when he is match sharp, then the opposing defenders will never get a moments peace.

I was beginning to despair after reading the previous 'ratings': you've saved me a lot of typing.
I would have given MotM to Gaz, who reminded me of Makalele, or Senna, today, because of all the cleaning up he did, but I gave Dunne the nod because of the countless times he rescued us, or was in the right place at the right time
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Given - 7: Made some great saves in the first half that kept us infront.
Richards - 8: Played very well, like the old Micah.
Toure - 8: Continually took Rovers long balls out of the air and then moved the ball onto one of our midfielders, quality game.
Dunne - 8: Looked much better next to Toure and delt with everything when he was needed.
Bridge - 9: My motm, composed and got forward very well, aswell as keeping Diouf pritty quiet. His best game in a City shirt?.
SWP - 9: Like the old SWP, amazing game and destroyed Rovers LB at times.
Barry - 7: Got better as the game went on and picked out some great passes.
Ireland - 7: Pritty quiet today tbh, missed a sitter but took his second chance very well.
Robinho - 6: Nearly scored twice but looks lost against physical sides like Blackburn.
Adebayor - 8: Great hold-up play and linked up well with our other attacking talents. Took his goal superbly well.
Bellamy - 9: Pain in the arse for Rovers all day and freed up space for Ade. Played very well.
Tevez - no rating: Didn't look fit tbh but still dangerous in advanced areas. Also got a good shot off.
Hughes - 9: Got it spot on today well done Hughes lad, the slip at the end was nearly as good as the goals!.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Agree with most of this.

Only comments are -

I think some are underestimating Bellamy today, he was excellent especially when we dont have the ball.
SWP played well of course, but he did give the ball away a huge amount first half by trying to beat a man. Think someone had a word at half time.
Dunne - man of contrasts!

Altogether bloody excellent.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby simon12 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Again agree with most of this. My comments

I`ve seen Stevie have better games
Robbie was taken out if the game. They just camped infront of him.
Dunnie far more comfortable with someone he trusts next to him(i`ve seen those handballs given)
Shay....top draw
Tevez = chubby brown
Bellers = CTID

Overall it looks good but as a true blue...it`s early days BUT well done Les and staff
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I didn't see the game coz I'm in Oz, with no internet access last night.

Is Micah back to his old self then? Taken a while, this season is make or break for him.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dr Golfball » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Given - 8 ; Already mention with the two great saves to his left hand post, and those two are alone worthy of the 8.
Richards - 8 ; Didn't see Micah play this well for a long time. Welcome back son.
Toure - [strike]6[/strike] 7; Ran around a lot, didn't do anything wrong, nor outstanding. PAR.
Dunne - 7 ; Reasonable comfortable on the ball, although i always feel shakey when his the last man. Lucky with the penalty shout.
Bridge - 7 ; Played well for most parts of the game, however was sometimes caught short on the left.
SWP - *9* ; Played extremely well in spite of the new comers, and was thoroughly impressed. MoTM
Barry - 8 ; Seemed comfortable all game, and has the experience and quality we lacked last season. It showed today.
Ireland - 7 ; The goal topped a quiet game today for Superman however no one topped his athleticism today. Real champ.
Robinho - 7 ; Familiar muted performance today from Robson, when he ran at defenders it just didn't have the edge today that we knew he had.
Adebayor - 8 ; Took his goal very well and held the ball up today almost to perfection. Very well played and linked well with the forwards.
Bellamy - 8 ; Looked like he could have ran all day, and seemed as though that extra 'umph' is in his stride, wonderful asset.
Tevez - n/a
Hughes - 9 ; Didn't juggle the team too much with silly subs late on, and kept it cool. Great start to the campaign.

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Toure and Edge will be much happier now.
Last edited by Dr Golfball on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Golfball
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Jeremy Clarkson 4 PM
My favourite player is: Barry/Ireland

Postby edge275 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Dr Golfball wrote:Given - 8 ; Already mention with the two great saves to his left hand post, and those two are alone worthy of the 8.
Richards - 8 ; Didn't see Micah play this well for a long time. Welcome back son.
Toure - 6 ; Ran around a lot, didn't do anything wrong, nor outstanding. PAR.
Dunne - 7 ; Reasonable comfortable on the ball, although i always feel shakey when his the last man. Lucky with the penalty shout.
Bridge - 7 ; Played well for most parts of the game, however was sometimes caught short on the left.
SWP - *9* ; Played extremely well in spite of the new comers, and was thoroughly impressed. MoTM
Barry - 8 ; Seemed comfortable all game, and has the experience and quality we lacked last season. It showed today.
Ireland - 7 ; The goal topped a quiet game today for Superman however no one topped his athleticism today. Real champ.
Robinho - 7 ; Familiar muted performance today from Robson, when he ran at defenders it just didn't have the edge today that we knew he had.
Adebayor - 8 ; Took his goal very well and held the ball up today almost to perfection. Very well played and linked well with the forwards.
Bellamy - 8 ; Looked like he could have ran all day, and seemed as though that extra 'umph' is in his stride, wonderful asset.
Tevez - n/a
Hughes - 9 ; Didn't juggle the team too much with silly subs late on, and kept it cool. Great start to the campaign.

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!

Toure our worst player? Give over.
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Dr Golfball » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Agreed, i dont believe Toure was our worst player seeing as you put it like that. Today, as usual :P, our defence was our best asset today. I've changed my mind.
Dr Golfball
Superman's Underpants

Postby 21Forsberg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:36 pm

[quote][/quote][

Spot on, except maybe 8 for Toure.
21Forsberg
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Dr Golfball » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:42 pm

21Forsberg wrote:
[

Spot on, except maybe 8 for Toure.

Quotes are a bitch arn't they mate ;)
Dr Golfball
Superman's Underpants

Postby The Original Special One » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 pm

edge275 wrote:
Dr Golfball wrote:Given - 8 ; Already mention with the two great saves to his left hand post, and those two are alone worthy of the 8.
Toure - 6 ; Ran around a lot, didn't do anything wrong, nor outstanding. PAR.
Tevez - n/a

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!

Toure our worst player? Give over.

SWP our best player?
You're having a laugh!
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:28 pm

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:I didn't see the game coz I'm in Oz, with no internet access last night.

Is Micah back to his old self then? Taken a while, this season is make or break for him.

It was his sort of game mate, and therefore a good selection. Lots of blood and thunder defending against air raids from a bunch of oversized thugs.

When presented with the rare opportunity to pass, however, he was same old Micah. Think it will be horses for courses with him and Mad Zabba this season.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum