Report in Sunday Telegraph on 4-2-3-1 formation

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Report in Sunday Telegraph on 4-2-3-1 formation

Postby DelaBlue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 am

Lots of different options with this formation and will give opportunities for the whole squad to play their part.

What do you think?

Manchester City's Blue Moonies have their faith rewarded
From boardroom to terrace via the dug-out, such an evangelical zeal suffuses Manchester City's new mission that they should really be renamed the Blue Moonies.
For this much-scrutinised "project'' to work, though, new players and old must suit the 4-2-3-1 tactics that Mark Hughes believes will bring trophies
City's 2-0 success here at Ewood Park showed the rich promise of this formation, a more stylish version of the 4-5-1 configuration Hughes used to good effect with Wales and Blackburn themselves in the past. Such a system will be even stronger when the defence is reinforced, either with the purchase of a centre-half like Joleon Lescott or with a more solid midfield shield.
To the delight of 7,000 City fans, Hughes could certainly not be accused of lacking adventure away from home. He started without an orthodox holding midfielder, leaving Nigel de Jong on the bench and pairing Stephen Ireland and Gareth Barry.
Ireland is a hard worker but more suited to pushing on, linking with attackers, a trait thrillingly shown in striking City's second goal.
If Ireland, in particular, is to be used in this deeper role, clearly more time will be required on the training ground. Little tinkering is needed with the front four, a kaleidoscope of movement at times.
Intriguingly, Craig Bellamy, remarkably recovered from the injury that forced him to miss Wales' midweek match, was the forward point of Hughes' 4-2-3-1 formation. Bellamy ran hungrily but looked more effective when dropping to the right flank in the second period.
Emmanuel Adebayor, the man of the match, operated elegantly in the hole, brilliantly creating and finishing off City's first.
Displaying his versatility, Adebayor kept dropping deep, looking for the ball to feet, working one-twos with Robinho or trading passes with Shaun Wright-Phillips. He even tracked back, not once but twice, a reality that his old Arsenal supporters might struggle to believe.
Admirably team-minded here, Adebayor made a crucial clearing header from a Rovers corner and even set up Ireland when he could have scored himself.
On joining City, Adebayor appeared the obvious contender to play the target-man role, although it may be earmarked for Roque Santa Cruz when the tall Paraguayan is fit.
As the visiting fans standing in the Darwen End chanted "Sparky, Sparky, give us a wave'', an important moment for Hughes, the City manager could also have permitted himself a smile when thinking about how he can rotate his attack.
His options include Santa Cruz, Martin Petrov and Carlos Tevez, whose arrival from the bench was greeted by City fans with ironic chants of "Fergie, Fergie, sign him up''.
When the former United player darted on, Bellamy dropped impressively into the position vacated by Robinho on the left. Hughes' system is heavily reliant on the wide players, Robinho and Wright-Phillips, dropping back to protect the full-backs.
This is not the Brazilian's game and opposing managers may seek to exploit the space between Robinho and Wayne Bridge.
On the counter, City moved with devastating speed. After one second-half breakaway, Paul Robinson saved from Robinho. When Tevez came on, he was released by a superb reverse pass from Wright-Phillips but again Robinson saved.
"They are going to be good on the break because of the pace and the quality they have,'' said Sam Allardyce, the Rovers manager.
All the good teams have balance and City still need to work on their blend between an average defence and accomplished attack.
Richard Dunne and Kolo Toure will be troubled by better strikers than Jason Roberts. Bridge is not in the left-back class of Patrice Evra, Gael Clichy or Ashley Cole.
Watched by Franco Baldini, Micah Richards was solid enough at right-back. City still need a commanding defender but this start for the Blue Moonies was hugely encouraging.

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/6035150/Manchester-Citys-Blue-Moonies-have-their-faith-rewarded.html/url]
DelaBlue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Dela's Under 13s 9s

Re: Report in Sunday Telegraph on 4-2-3-1 formation

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 am

What I think? I think whoever wrote that didn't see the game. I don't think I've seen us play more traditional 4-4-2 in years.

[center]Given
Richards Toure Dunne Bridge
SWP Ireland Barry Robinho
Adebayor Bellamy[/center]
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 am

I thought that when I was reading that report earlier....bloody halfwit
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby steveo_88 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:33 am

Ireland to be used in a deeper role? Surely he's just impressed to see an attacking player track back!
steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby shawzy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

Disagree with this bit

"This is not the Brazilian's game and opposing managers may seek to exploit the space between Robinho and Wayne Bridge".

Thats why we have bought Gareth.One of the best left sided MF in the game.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:59 am

I thought Robinho did his share of tracking back. I saw him cutting out a cross on our byline. I think people underestimate the value of our lil Robbie.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Colin the King » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 pm

I think Henry Winter's over-complicating things. What I saw yesterday was a straightforward 4-4-2 with Bellamy and Adebayor as the traditional 'little and large' pairing up front. It worked exceptionally well though- I was worried initially that the side looked too attacking away from home but the balance was perfect in the end. Going forward we broke with pace and passed superbly and defensively we had just the right amount of grit and determination. Dunne, Bridge, Richards and SWP have all improved greatly.

I'd be inclined to stick with the same formation on Saturday, the only change being Tevez for Bellamy. Craig's a great option to have but if he overdoes it could end up injured (again) so I think we should use him sparingly.

De Jong might find game time limited though if this tactic is continued- he may only feature at places like Stamford Bridge and the swamp but yesterday, Hughes was spot on in leaving him out. So much of their game was played over the top, bypassing the midfield so he wouldn't have been able to contribute much.

All in all though, a really satisfying first day of the season. Bring on Wolves.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Colin the King wrote:I think Henry Winter's over-complicating things. What I saw yesterday was a straightforward 4-4-2 with Bellamy and Adebayor as the traditional 'little and large' pairing up front. It worked exceptionally well though- I was worried initially that the side looked too attacking away from home but the balance was perfect in the end. Going forward we broke with pace and passed superbly and defensively we had just the right amount of grit and determination. Dunne, Bridge, Richards and SWP have all improved greatly.

I'd be inclined to stick with the same formation on Saturday, the only change being Tevez for Bellamy. Craig's a great option to have but if he overdoes it could end up injured (again) so I think we should use him sparingly.

De Jong might find game time limited though if this tactic is continued- he may only feature at places like Stamford Bridge and the swamp but yesterday, Hughes was spot on in leaving him out. So much of their game was played over the top, bypassing the midfield so he wouldn't have been able to contribute much.

All in all though, a really satisfying first day of the season. Bring on Wolves.

Was that by Winter? Surpriced really, he is a knob and moaning Gooner with his tonque between Arsene's arse cheeks but usually actually puts thought in his stuff and rarely talks about stuff he knows fuck all about.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 pm

That was no 4-2-3-1 : if it WAS then Barry and De Jong would have been the deep midfielders. It was 4-4-2 with the wide midfielders pushing forward in attack (and Barry playing deep)
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:30 pm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Given

- - Richards - -Toure - - Dunne - - Bridge

- - SWP - - - Barry - - Ireland - - - Robson

- - - - - - - Adebayor - - Bellamy

Is what we played yesterday, a simple 4-4-2. When Tevez came on though we changed it round and Superman took up a much more advanced position, with Bellers moving out to the left flank and Barry sitting infront of the defence. Tevez upfront with Ade.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Given

- - Richards - - Toure - - Dunne - - Bridge

- - - - - - - - - - - - Barry

- - SWP - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bellamy

- - - - - - - - - - - - Ireland

- - - - - - - Tevez - - - - - - Adebayor

How it looked from where I was sat anyway.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 pm

That was the beauty of the lineup he chose - he could go with a diamond if he felt he needed it. It's about flexibility.
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:02 pm

I have to say I didn't see Bellamy on the right very much.

At least analyse a match you've seen, mister journalist.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Return to The Maine Football forum