Manchester City Ladies FC 09

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Ladies FC 09

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Oh bless blueboylewis but I think he is a tad bit young and would possibly fall in love with some of the girls..!!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 am

Sister of fu wrote:Oh bless blueboylewis but I think he is a tad bit young and would possibly fall in love with some of the girls..!!!

agreed, he'd get so frustrated he'd be known as blueballslewis
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Fish111 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:You need to get back to winning ways and fast!

Wood Out!!
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby dazby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 am

My resume is in the post. I have a background as a winning U15 girls junior coach, have sort of done my badges and I'm good looking.

I await my notice of acceptance.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Fish111 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 am

tbh i'm a sort of convert to womens football, i was in the pub the other night and i've never shown any inclination towards womens football whatsoever apart form the usual chauvenistic comments etc with the lads. But the England v Holland semi-final was on the big screen and it was very gripping football. End to end stuff and whilst it lacked the power & skill of the mens game for obvious reasons it was a higher standard than what i thought it would be. All the lads were gripped by it.
England took the lead deservedly so and then blew it within 5 minutes, the game went to extra time and all the players were knackered but still showed commitment and desire. For example, Kelly Smith had pulled a hamstring but still chased down lost causes to help the team out, very brave i thought. Could you imagine a male player doing that in an important game at a major championship? I'm not so sure.
England scored in extra time from what was a mistake by the Dutch keeper but we are through to a final against the auld enemy, Germany. I'll be watching it and cheering the girls on.
Fish111

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:01 am

dazby wrote:My resume is in the post. I have a background as a winning U15 girls junior coach, have sort of done my badges and I'm good looking.

I await my notice of acceptance.

We wont cover your traveling expenses.....lol
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 am

Fish111 wrote:tbh i'm a sort of convert to womens football, i was in the pub the other night and i've never shown any inclination towards womens football whatsoever apart form the usual chauvenistic comments etc with the lads. But the England v Holland semi-final was on the big screen and it was very gripping football. End to end stuff and whilst it lacked the power & skill of the mens game for obvious reasons it was a higher standard than what i thought it would be. All the lads were gripped by it.
England took the lead deservedly so and then blew it within 5 minutes, the game went to extra time and all the players were knackered but still showed commitment and desire. For example, Kelly Smith had pulled a hamstring but still chased down lost causes to help the team out, very brave i thought. Could you imagine a male player doing that in an important game at a major championship? I'm not so sure.
England scored in extra time from what was a mistake by the Dutch keeper but we are through to a final against the auld enemy, Germany. I'll be watching it and cheering the girls on.

I respect your honesty on this. I have obviously watched a lot of women’s football on the TV and can see why some people have the opinion they do of it (it can look very slow) but I can honestly say that the women that play are every bit as much dedicated the cause as their male counterparts if not more so.

Most of the women hold down full time jobs or have children but still find the time to train and to take part in games. When I played internatinal football and in the prem I used to work nights. I would do a 12 hour night shift nip home and then drive to Liverpool to play. I would also after a night shift in the week finish at 8am and then go and train on my own. I don’t know many international footballers have worked a nightshift before a game.

Even at the moment I will train 5 to 6 days a week aswell as hold down a full time job. I spend so many hours driving, training and working. A typical day training with the team will have me out of my house for about 16 hours which does take its toil. I leave my house at 6.30am, go to work, and finish at about 6pm nip to my grans for a sandwich then train 8-10 then driver home. So for people to take the piss and say I should not play football is wrong. As I have stated before I just happened to be born female and can do no more than play at the level I have played at.

We should support all our sports men and women and whatever sport they participate in and not take the piss as has been the case this past week from some quarters. Those girls will be representing England this evening and the nation should really get behind them because I know I will.
Sister of fu

Postby Fish111 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:06 am

What are Englands chances tonight sister? Not good i hear but the girls weren't expected to get this far were they so you never know.
Fish111

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 am

Fish111 wrote:What are Englands chances tonight sister? Not good i hear but the girls weren't expected to get this far were they so you never know.

I think it will be very very tough. I sure that the Germans play in a professional league and you just can’t compete with that when your amateur. England has only 4 pro players in Kelly Smith, Karen Carney, Anita Asante and Alex Scott who all ply there trade in the states (god I wish I was 10 years younger). I just don’t think England will have enough, but im sure they will give it a good go. Look out for the German sticker Printz, who you would not want to bump into in a dark alley but the girl can play football.

There has been some progression in the UK with 18 England players being given central contracts worth about £16,000 a year so that they can concentrate more on football but this is still peanuts in terms of football wages. £16,000 is not to bad if your 16 or 17 but im aware that some of the older players turned this down as they earn more from their own day jobs.

Im realistic though when it comes to women’s football to know that it will never be a professional sport in the UK as you will never get people watching it. If it can not generate its own revenue then it’s not got a hope in hell.
Sister of fu

Postby mr fu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Fish111 wrote:tbh i'm a sort of convert to womens football, i was in the pub the other night and i've never shown any inclination towards womens football whatsoever apart form the usual chauvenistic comments etc with the lads. But the England v Holland semi-final was on the big screen and it was very gripping football. End to end stuff and whilst it lacked the power & skill of the mens game for obvious reasons it was a higher standard than what i thought it would be. All the lads were gripped by it.

I respect your honesty on this. I have obviously watched a lot of women’s football on the TV and can see why some people have the opinion they do of it (it can look very slow) but I can honestly say that the women that play are every bit as much dedicated the cause as their male counterparts if not more so.

Most of the women hold down full time jobs or have children but still find the time to train and to take part in games. When I played internatinal football and in the prem I used to work nights. I would do a 12 hour night shift nip home and then drive to Liverpool to play. I would also after a night shift in the week finish at 8am and then go and train on my own. I don’t know many international footballers have worked a nightshift before a game.

Even at the moment I will train 5 to 6 days a week aswell as hold down a full time job. I spend so many hours driving, training and working. A typical day training with the team will have me out of my house for about 16 hours which does take its toil. I leave my house at 6.30am, go to work, and finish at about 6pm nip to my grans for a sandwich then train 8-10 then driver home. So for people to take the piss and say I should not play football is wrong. As I have stated before I just happened to be born female and can do no more than play at the level I have played at.

We should support all our sports men and women and whatever sport they participate in and not take the piss as has been the case this past week from some quarters. Those girls will be representing England this evening and the nation should really get behind them because I know I will.

Grandma's still trying to give Amy wafer thin ham...
BOON ARMY!
mr fu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.
My favourite player is: MIA

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Fish111 wrote:What are Englands chances tonight sister? Not good i hear but the girls weren't expected to get this far were they so you never know.

I think it will be very very tough. I sure that the Germans play in a professional league and you just can’t compete with that when your amateur. England has only 4 pro players in Kelly Smith, Karen Carney, Anita Asante and Alex Scott who all ply there trade in the states (god I wish I was 10 years younger). I just don’t think England will have enough, but im sure they will give it a good go. Look out for the German sticker Printz, who you would not want to bump into in a dark alley but the girl can play football.

There has been some progression in the UK with 18 England players being given central contracts worth about £16,000 a year so that they can concentrate more on football but this is still peanuts in terms of football wages. £16,000 is not to bad if your 16 or 17 but im aware that some of the older players turned this down as they earn more from their own day jobs.

Im realistic though when it comes to women’s football to know that it will never be a professional sport in the UK as you will never get people watching it. If it can not generate its own revenue then it’s not got a hope in hell.

Just drove past the stadium and there's already loads of Germans there. It seems that women's football is quite big there.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:56 pm

mr fu wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Grandma's still trying to give Amy wafer thin ham...

"hey what about Ham and Pineapple pizza vegies can eat that right??"
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Sorry not updated for a couple of weeks as been a but f****d off with it all to be honest and even considered moving clubs. Anyway we got back to wining ways yesterday with a 1-0 win over Newcastle United away from home. This is a ground we have never won on in the league so we were really happy with the three points and a clean sheet.

Past couple of weeks have been a real struggle due to players leaving or lying about injurys so they can go out and get drunk. We got beat 4-2 at Blackburn in the cup. Blackburn are a prem team and a semi-pro so 4-2 aint that bad of a result. We were 2-2 up until the last 5mins where they popped 2 in.

We drew last Sunday 3-3 with Aston Villa after leading 1-0 at half time. We were then loosing 3-2 and managed to pull one back. I have to say that i never ever want to play a game again while a derby match in being played. I basically lost all concentration in the 2nd half due to some little rag twat saying "ahh 4-3" as we were coming out for the start of the 2nd half. I was fumming and wanted to kill someone and ended up not caring less about our game. I had a series of verball alltercartions with numerous players on my team. I could not wait to get changed and go home. I have to admit that once home i shed a few tears. Is it possible to love City to much??!!!

SOF
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 pm

is traditionally a very difficult venue to visit.

The task was made even more difficult for the sky blues when late withdrawals and player unavailability meant City boss, Leigh Wood had only 12 players at his disposal.

Already missing 6 regular first teamers Wood had to contend with the withdrawal of striker Sarah Penney on the morning of the match. This led to a first ever start for 16 year old striker Beccy Grocott and a second start of the season for another 16 year old in Abbie Mcmanus.A flu ridden Danni Young

The game kicked off on a pleasant afternoon with a good size crowd in place and as expected Lincoln came at City utilising their power, strength and aerial threat. Two early corners were defended well by the City backline before in the 3rd minute Young combined with Grocott to send the youngster in on goal. Unfortunately for City the Lincoln keeper was quick off her line and saved well. Two minutes later the impressive Young fired in a shot following a Hindley pass.

Through the first half Lincoln continued to remain in the ascendancy but despite the lack of experience and size in the City ranks the visitors more than held their own. However on several occasions in the first half City were grateful to the in form Andrea Worrall who made keeping look easy as she made at least 3 quality saves from the Lincoln forwards.

With Lincoln playing their usual high tempo long ball game City’s defence was called upon to be tight and organised throughout the half with McManus and Farrell outstanding at the centre of defence ably backed up by full backs McLellan and Champ.

When City did get the ball down they showed themselves to be capable of passing through the home side to create openings. On several occasion hard work by central midfielders Hindley and Lee produced quality ball for Worth and Tuner out wide. On 2 such occasions passing moves saw Turner and Grocott have shots at goal.

With the half ending Worrall was once again called into action before the ref blew for the break. The half ended with City content with their work ethic and defensive duties, knowing that if they can continue to match Lincoln physically the had the skills to penetrate the home defence

An obviously fired up Lincoln came at City at the start of the second period and proceeded to hit the long balls with more ferocity making the City midfield and defence scrap for every tackle. For the first 20 minutes City went to a 5 man midfield to soak up the pressure which they did admirably as Worrall continued her imperious form in goal.

When City did get the chance to counter attack they did so with neat passing moves which pulled the big Lincoln defenders out of position creating half chances for Lee and Worth.

As the game wore on the City supporters could sense the frustration in the home ranks as City held firm and still threatened on the break. On 80 mins Worrall was again excellent when she denied Michalska on 2 occasions in quick succession.

5 mins later a neat Danni Young chip had home keeper Hawke scrambling to push the ball away for a corner. From the resulting corner Farrells drive flew wide. As full time ended a tiring City launched one last attack. The attack broke down and the ball fell to Lincoln danger man Michalska, unfortunately for City the home striker turned and fired an unstoppable drive which even Worrall could not reach to spark scenes for celebration for Lincoln and despair for City.

2 minutes later the game ended with City’s youngsters shattered but defiant. In fairness Lincoln deserved the victory but Wood’s youngsters, whose average age was 18, can take tremendous pride in their performance at one of the top teams in the Northern league.

Aside form the excellent Farrell and Worrall, special mention must be made of 16 year olds McManus and especially Grocott whose performances belied their years against tough opposition

Wood commented, ‘’today’s game was our 3rd in 7 days and during the warm up it looked like we were in for along afternoon, but massive credit to the players as they played with real heart and desire right form the off. We coped with high balls that were coming into our half and when getting the ball down and keeping possession we created the odd chance. It was heartbreaking for all concerned when the injury time winner went in. The players can look back and be proud of their performance today. Well done ladies’’..
Last edited by Sister of fu on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:09 pm

City made the short trip to the home of Radcliffe Borough to face National League neighbours Blackburn in the 1st round of the Premier League Cup.

This is one of several meetings between the clubs over recent years and one which the young City side would be severely tested given the run of injuries and absentees.

On the playing side City boss Leigh Wood was able to welcome back experienced centre back Lindsay Savage and fit again Sarah Penney, however was still without the services of Levi Wensley, Laura Gligan and still injured Krystle Johnston. Wood decided to rest 16 year old Abbie McManus for Savage and Penney had to be content with a subs spot. Pre-match Wood was looking for his side to show the same desire and determination which nearly saw them nick a point at Lincoln last time out, Blackburn meanwhile were looking to improve on some poor league form which had seen them take only 2 points from their opening games

The game kicked off in warm conditions with City defending up the slope. Early doors the home side put the visitors under pressure with City struggling to settle and being forced in errors when in possession. Infact this early pressure led to Blackburn’s first goal on 5 mins as the left winger was allowed to turn and fire in a shot which took a wicked deflection off Savage to give keeper Worrall no chance.

As the early onslaught continued City’s in form keeper was asked to make a decent one handed save to keep City in the game. On 10 mins City mounted their first serious attack as Hindley fed Lee who in turn passed to Turner to hit a dangerous 25 yarder just wide. This lifted City and another passing move saw Blackburn concede a corner. Danni Young swung the ball in and as Charlette Farrell challenged the keeper the ball fell to Betty Worth on the edge of the box. Worth steadied herself and fired in a left footer which found it’s way into the net for her and City’s first goal.

Blackburn responded with Katie Anderton looking dangerous everytime she got the ball and the Farrell/Savage combination called into action regularly to thwart her. With City defending well they were able to build a passage of play which saw them awarded a free kick on the half way line. Cue skipper Farrell to power a shot which the keeper tipped into the net for her 4th goal of the season and third from the half way line, to put City 2-1 up and shock the home support.

As expected the home side retaliated and Worrall was again in action to save form Anderton. From the resulting corner City only half cleared the ball and it was despatched with style from the edge of the box by a Blackburn player. City weathered the remaining 5 mins with Worrall making another stop and entered the break level. Wood’s team talk focussed on his players his players getting closer to Blackburn’s, on winning the second balls and being quicker into the challenges. When City did do these things in the first 45 they showed themselves to be well capable of troubling their illustrious opponents.

The second half saw the injured Betty Worth replaced by Sarah Penney after what was the 17year olds best ever City display. Penney was quickly into action after being put through by a Hindley/Lee combination as she struck a fierce drive which nearly caught the home keeper out at the near post. For the next 20 mins the game ebbed and flowed as both teams battled for possession and both looked threatening on the break.

With 20 mins left Wood introduced McManus at right back for Champ. As the young City team began to tire Blackburn pushed hard for the winner and Andrea Worrall was forced into a number of excellent saves to keep them at bay. City’s only threat was the pace of Penney but unfortunately for City any possession they did win was spoiled by a poor final ball. With 5 mins left on the clock and Blackburn becoming increasingly more frustrated a tired City defence allowed the ball to bounce and hesitated as the Blackburn midfielder hit a curling ball toward Anderton. As the ball reached the box Anderton was quickest to react and lobbed Worrall to the delight of the home crowd. City’s heads dropped and Blackburn were able to hit home a 4th goal to give the tie a slightly unfair scoreline in City’s eyes but one that Blackburn fully deserved.

After the match Wood was full of praise for his young charges, the heart and desire they continue to show week in week out and especially today against much more experienced opposition. However the youngster s will have again picked up valuable learning from todays game which will stand them in good stead for future encounters

Special mention must be made of keeper Worrall and skipper Farrell who again led by example an showed excellent character and skill in a testing environment
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 pm

City entertained 2nd in the table Aston Villa for what is tradition ally a difficult encounter.

City boss, Leigh Wood was looking to reignite the sky blues season which had seen a difficult few weeks due to a combination of injuries and unavailability of key players. This period seeing City drop 8 league points in their last 3 games.

For todays game Wood was able to welcome back Levi Wensley to midfield but still had to deal with the unavailability of striker Krystle Johnson and a half fit Sarah Penney who could only sit on the bench. 16 year old Beccy Grocott continued to deputise upfront as partner to Elle Turner

The match kicked of in perfect conditions and it was the home team who went on the offensive in the opening quarter. This early pressure being rewarded a goal on 5 mins as Lucy Hindley released Grocott down the Villa left, the talented teenager then beat her full back with ease before pulling the ball back for Elle Turner to beat the keeper form 10 yards.

Villa responded with a period of their own pressure and drew level after a trademark set piece saw the ball headed home off the back of a City defender. The game then ebbed and flowed with both defences on top until the 25th min when a Charlotte Farrell short free kick was picked up 25 yards out by Beccy Lee. The Yorkshire born midfielder then turned her marker before firing an unstoppable drive into the top corner to put City 2 -1 up.

City then had a couple of more chances to go farther ahead and through Turner and Farrell but finished the half in control knowing that they possessed the ability to pass the ball around the bigger Villa girls but also acknowledging the aerial threat of Villa’s excellent set pieces.

The second half started poorly for City as centre back Lindsay savage had to leave the field injured to be replaced by Abbie McManus. This set City back alitle as Villa went on the attack and City struggled to find the passing range and time they had enjoyed I the first half. This hesitancy about the home team saw Villa score 2 headed goals from good corner kicks on 55 and 60 mins to put them 3-2 up.

This stirred City into life a little and they responded with their own set piece as Danni Young drove in an excellent long ranger free kick to put her team level. Levi Wensley then nearly gave the home side a lead as her speculative shot bounced just before the keeper and agonisingly for City just over the bar.

Wood introduced Betty Worth on 75 and Penney for the last 5 but the game ended as a hard fought draw. A decent team performance saw Wood happy with the effort from his players and the tempo of their play especially in the first half but also frustrated at not being able to use his full strength squad at the moment in order to reassert the teams title ambitions

City now face Newcastle away next week
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:11 pm

For their third away fixture of the campaign City made the long trek up to Newcastle to face last seasons 4th placed team

City came into the match looking to re-assert their credentials as a front runner in the Northern league knowing that no match on Tyneside is ever easy. Last seasons league fixtures between the two had seen two hard fought draws and this was likely to be much of the same.

City boss, Leigh Wood, was now missing only striker Sarah Penney and was able to call fit again Krystle Johnson onto the bench. Betty Worth was given a start in midfield which meant Lucy Hindley joined a powerful bench which also boasted Abbie McManus and Rachael Pearse.

City kicked off on a large, flat playing surface at Coach Lane and immediately went on the offensive forcing a corner in the first 2 minutes. City remained in the ascendancy early doors with the best chance falling to Becky lee who nearly emulated last weeks cracker as she drove a 25 yarder onto the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

City’s passing game was there for all to see as they dominated possession for the first quarter playing neat football in a difficult wind. After the 15 mins Newcastle began to get into the game led by Rachael Furness in centre midfield and had their first shot shortly afterwards which Andrea Worrall held well.

With defences largely on top chances were few, however teenage striker Beccy Grocott nearly broke the deadlock on the half hour as she just failed to convert a headed chance created by Wensley and Champ down the City right. In the 44th Min Worrall was again in action as she acrobatically clawed away a Newcastle shot after a goal mouth scramble. The half ended even with both teams looking to push for that opening goal.

City started the brighter in the second period as Elle Turner tested the keeper form distance. On 50 mins City had their best chance to take the lead as a clever Turner passed released Grocott, as the 16 year old headed for goal her shot was hit straight at the keeper. The next 25 mins saw both sides cancel each other out with Farrell and Savage at the heart of the City defence dealing with anything the home side could throw at them.

With 12 mins remaining Wood introduced Johnston for Worth and with her first touch the sub sent in an excellent cross from the right flank. The ball fizzed across the 6 yard box only to be met by impressive Grocott’s right boot for her first senior goal. Wood then brought on Hindley for Grocott to shore up the midfield and City were able to see the game out. In fact they could have increased the lead on 90 mins after another Farrell free kick rattled the bar

The game ended in City’s favour with Wood pleased again with his sides desire and determination and also the level of technical ability shown away from home against a difficult to beat Newcastle. Special mention to the outstanding Farrell and to Lindsay savage who showed that she was close again to her best. Mention also for 16 year Grocott who seems to be getting better with every game

City now travel again to face Derby next Sunday
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Sunday October 4th
FA TESCO PREMIER LEAGUE
NORTHERN DIVISION
Derby County 0-2 Manchester City
Manchester City's 2-0 win at Derby extends their excellent away record, which has seen them only concede one goal in four games on the road. Francesca Champ broke the deadlock 20 minutes from time, with Becky Grocott adding the second in the dying minutes.

Wednesday 7th October
FA TESCO PREMIER LEAGUE
NORTHERN DIVISION Wednesday 7th October 2009
Curzon Ashton 0-2 Manchester City
Two late goals gave Manchester City a 2-0 win in last night's local derby at Curzon Ashton and took them level on points with second placed OOH Lincoln. Becky Grocott broke the deadlock with 75 minutes played, Krystle Johnson confirmed the victory with the second, 6 minutes from time.
Sister of fu

Postby One cap Whitey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Looks like you've been kept busy lately SOF. In good form though, so well played you.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Sister of fu wrote:OOH Lincoln.

I lived there for two years, believe me it's not that exciting...
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum