Mr Dunne

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mr Dunne

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Time for another Dunnie debate I think, on the new site. Some are saying that he had a good game on Saturday and therefore we don't need Lescott or Upson.

The alternative view is that there were 2 highly likely pens against him that weren't given, and that he nearly demolished his own keeper first half with some undistinguished defending.

Personally I think we will find it difficult to reach the summits whilst Dickie is a first choice, but as cover he will be ideal, and we have no reason to doubt he would be professional enough to deal with that.

I really think failure to bring in another solid, quality CB will affect our points total this year.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Mr Dunne

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I think I agree with you.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:44 pm

imho Dunnie is a very average defender at best whose form is slowly but surely deserting him more each year. We definately need to get some new blood in to play alongside Toure. Dunne scared me a few tims on Saturday, it's his unpredictability that is so un-reassuring. I love him to bits for his undying loyalty but everything has a shelf life.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:26 pm

He did just captain us to a 2-0 win away at Blackburn, and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Is he the only player that hasn't really received any credit for that?
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby saulman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Agree with the opening post. Dunnie should stick around and accept that if we buy a player better than him, then he will be benched.
We should buy a player that's better than him because he's a weakness that teams will be looking to exploit this season.

I do hope he's still at City for his testamonial though.

Steve wrote:He did just captain us to a 2-0 win away at Blackburn, and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Robby didn't get any credit but I'm sure he didn't actually deserve any. He was pretty annonymous, IMO.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

saulman wrote:Agree with the opening post. Dunnie should stick around and accept that if we buy a player better than him, then he will be benched.
We should buy a player that's better than him because he's a weakness that teams will be looking to exploit this season.

Steve wrote:He did just captain us to a 2-0 win away at Blackburn, and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Robby didn't get any credit but I'm sure he didn't actually deserve any. He was pretty annonymous, IMO.

He created the space for Adebayor to score the first goal.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Slim wrote:
saulman wrote:Agree with the opening post. Dunnie should stick around and accept that if we buy a player better than him, then he will be benched.

I know how Robbie must feel. I constantly creat space for others to write great posts, and never get any credit for it...
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Slim wrote:

He did indeed. He also had our only shots on target other than the goals. The first of those shots he pretty much made from nothing. The second would have gone in but for a deceptively good save by an unsighted keeper.

The "penalty" for hand-ball would have been harsh but some refs would have. I am sure some refs will give far less obvious penalties against certain clubs (but not others) during the season. But I feel Dunnie did very little wrong for that incident. In the minuscule fraction of a second he got as the ball bulleted directly towards him. He had a decent game, especially in the second half.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 pm

I think people are looking for a boo boy and with everyone playing reasonably well for a first competitive runout, they are firing blindly to see what sticks. Dunne played as well as he is expected to, he isn't great but the idea that "he is shite, but as backup he is okay" Well, if he starts regular or we need a player to fill in he will play the same 90 minutes, I'd rather have someone who can do the job properly in either case. So either is he good enough or he isn't, people seem to want him to stick around but still have the option of bitching about him. Hypocrites.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Leave him alone you shower of tossers! Did he not do better than Lescott?
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Burt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Blue in the face wrote:Leave him alone you shower of tossers! Did he not do better than Lescott?

Yes he did but it's probably not a fair comparison given (see what I did there?) the circumstances evolving around Lescott mate.
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:21 pm

john@staustell wrote:Time for another Dunnie debate I think, on the new site. Some are saying that he had a good game on Saturday and therefore we don't need Lescott or Upson.

The alternative view is that there were 2 highly likely pens against him that weren't given, and that he nearly demolished his own keeper first half with some undistinguished defending.

Personally I think we will find it difficult to reach the summits whilst Dickie is a first choice, but as cover he will be ideal, and we have no reason to doubt he would be professional enough to deal with that.

I really think failure to bring in another solid, quality CB will affect our points total this year.

OMG He had one good game and you think we should have a massive turnaround and keep him for the entire season as our no.1 CB and captain? I can't believe what I'm reading! Some people on here need to think twice before they write stuff. Hes not gonna have a bad game every week is he?? (not aimed at you John) We don't want to replace him because he's fucking terrible every week. He just can't keep up that level of play enough that's the problem. He's great backup and wouldn't mind seeing him here another season as backup but first team for an entire season? Surely not?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby bobadji » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Vhero wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Time for another Dunnie debate I think, on the new site. Some are saying that he had a good game on Saturday and therefore we don't need Lescott or Upson.

OMG He had one good game and you think we should have a massive turnaround and keep him for the entire season as our no.1 CB and captain? I can't believe what I'm reading! Some people on here need to think twice before they write stuff. Hes not gonna have a bad game every week is he?? (not aimed at you John) We don't want to replace him because he's fucking terrible every week. He just can't keep up that level of play enough that's the problem. He's great backup and wouldn't mind seeing him here another season as backup but first team for an entire season? Surely not?

if you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that he thought that it'll be difficult to reach the top with Dunne as first choice. Some people on here need to think twice before they write stuff.

;)
bobadji

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Vhero » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 pm

bobadji wrote:
Vhero wrote:

if you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that he thought that it'll be difficult to reach the top with Dunne as first choice. Some people on here need to think twice before they write stuff.

;)

Thats what I mean I was just putting in my own words mate and agreeing.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby adebayor25 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm

he played poorly against celtic, but i thought he played good against bburn and showed why he is a city legend.
adebayor25
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby 13021J » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Dunne is only good enough as a backup, but Kompany should be first choice alongside Toure with Onuoha to challenge
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Dameerto » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Given was at fault for that incident - Dunne was shepherding the ball and Given took too long coming for it. At the very least it was a breakdown in communication, they should have been talking to each other. (Can't pin it on Dunne though, not on the evidence of what I saw myself)

I forgot to add, he allso blocked a sure-fire certain goal in the first half inside the six-yard box - Given wouldn't have had time to react from that range. I haven't seen him getting any credit for it either. I suppose the haters would say he was just doing his job. I'm not his biggest fan but he had a decent game on Saturday and was one of the reasons we kept a clean sheet.
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 pm

I have to say, I find all this a bit strange. I've never rated Dunne, even when he was player of the year & blame him for most of our cup exits in living memory, yet now everyone else seems to have gone way past me & is giving him pelters even when he's doing alright!

His performance v Blackburn was just the same as his best performances from a few years back; great blocks & interceptions mixed with moments of total incompetence. Then he got cheered for it & people blamed someone else when he fell over or scored an own goal or failed to mark Lescott for a free header, now people are building gallows to hang him for exactly the same kind of thing.

Most PL CB's are on the whole crap, Dunne ranges between crap & excellent, loves the club & could be great back up to a new pairing. Can't we just give him a chance to see how he goes? We're obviously trying to sign others so it's not as if the management don't know we need someone else. Let's give him some support & he may actually grow with the club & do a good job.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Kladze » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am

If Dunnie were to read remarks like this I wonder just how condescending and patronising he'd find them.
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Kladze wrote:

If Dunnie were to read remarks like this I wonder just how condescending and patronising he'd find them.

why would he?
i hope he gets a testimonial, its an honour in my opinion. he deserves one.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum