King Colin Speaks...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: King Colin Speaks...

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 am

I wanted to change my name to Colin when I was a nipper. Always wore No.8 shirt whenever I played. Id proper whine like a bitch if I didn't get it.I saw him when I was a very young shaver, in fact he scored in my first ever City game, but I was only eight at the time. The day he returned was indeed incredibly emotional, even though he limped and hobbled around in a way that you woulf never see nowadays, we did actually wonder if he might just be alright.
I saw him picking up his dry cleaning at the P.O in Lymm one day, I couldn't understand how everybody else in there was so casual about being in the presence of greatness when I was close close to passing out in the excitement of it all.

He was a bit one footed mind.....
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:02 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
gillie wrote:
john68 wrote:I was at the old Baseball Ground (Derby)...Bell moved forward towards the Derby goal and worra shit shot. It rebounded off the keeper back to bell and bounced into the net...The 1st goal of many...was probably his worst and luckiest.

The most emotional moment in my time at Maine Road was when Bell first attempted to return from injury. He came out for the 2nd half with no announcement....The crowd never expected it...went almost silent ..,then a whisper...rose to a massive crescendo of noise with grown men crying.
In a time when we use superlatives at the drop of a hat...Colin Bell was/is the greatest City player ever and a thorough gentleman.

John you are one lucky sod you saw him in his pomp i only saw him at the end which is my biggest regret.I would have loved to have been on the Kippax when he was in full flow i only ever saw his best games on tv.

One of the saddest things for me is that most of the best moments I've seen from Bell were never captured on TV because only a few games per week were filmed & then only severely edited highlights were shown.

Things like him sprinting diagonally from the half way line to slide tackle a speedy left winger, springing back to his feet with the ball in one move (ala SWP) then playing a curving 40 yard pass straight down the wing round the side of the other team, almost but not quite going over the line, weighted perfectly to just spin nicely into the path of Summerbee who was already running because he knew Bell could do it, he'd seen it before, then the roar of the Kippax as Summerbee took the ball without breaking stride...& now the realisation that David Beckham will forever be rated as a better player because of TV.

Great picture you paint here Ted. I can remember that kind of thing from the great man.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:05 am

Kladze wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:At 36 I missed out on Nijinsky...but the older blues I know talk of him in God Like terms...don't think there has been anyone in my time as a City fan who has even come close to that sort of adoration and maybe never will

Bell was the only player I've ever seen (and by that I mean ever, anywhere) who had not a single weak aspect to his game. He wasn't a flair player but he could be at times; Joe Corrigan freely admitted that the power of his shooting was frightening; he could play one touch passes and / or long, raking, diagonal passes at will; I could go on .... heading, lung bursting runs etc.

The Newcastle game - referred to in the article - had been a fairly insipid affair despite the size of the crowd, and was 0-0 at half time. Bell came on for the second half and the crowd went .... well ... bonkers. City tore Newcastle to pieces and won the game 4-0. Physically, Bell had little to do with it but psychologically, he inspired it.

Having said that some of his later appearances were tinged with sadness as it was obvious he hadn't (and never would) recovered from the injury.

A quiet man, it was known to be difficult to get his autograph - I managed to get it but I was a stupid teenager and lost it.

I wouldn't say he didn't have a weak aspect in his game. Didn't Allison say he couldn't head the ball or kick with his left foot or tackle? I know he was joking but the weaknesses he had were more like he didn't go mad with celebrations when he scored a goal , he didn't dive , he didn't feign injury , he didn't harrass referees , he didn't kick people. Apart from a magnificent talent he was a gent on and off the field.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 am

Kladze wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:At 36 I missed out on Nijinsky...but the older blues I know talk of him in God Like terms...don't think there has been anyone in my time as a City fan who has even come close to that sort of adoration and maybe never will

Bell was the only player I've ever seen (and by that I mean ever, anywhere) who had not a single weak aspect to his game. He wasn't a flair player but he could be at times; Joe Corrigan freely admitted that the power of his shooting was frightening; he could play one touch passes and / or long, raking, diagonal passes at will; I could go on .... heading, lung bursting runs etc.

The Newcastle game - referred to in the article - had been a fairly insipid affair despite the size of the crowd, and was 0-0 at half time. Bell came on for the second half and the crowd went .... well ... bonkers. City tore Newcastle to pieces and won the game 4-0. Physically, Bell had little to do with it but psychologically, he inspired it.

Having said that some of his later appearances were tinged with sadness as it was obvious he hadn't (and never would) recovered from the injury.

A quiet man, it was known to be difficult to get his autograph - I managed to get it but I was a stupid teenager and lost it.

I remember that game well just as you describe it.There was such emotion in the crowd and the roof came off when he came on. It really was sad watching him in those latter days knowing he just could not do it anymore. A sadness only matched for me with Paul Lake. Not just when he got injured the first time but when he went down in his return match.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby glossopblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:15 am

he was the best. nothing more to add!
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Kladze wrote:

I remember that game well just as you describe it.There was such emotion in the crowd and the roof came off when he came on. It really was sad watching him in those latter days knowing he just could not do it anymore. A sadness only matched for me with Paul Lake. Not just when he got injured the first time but when he went down in his return match.

Lake would've been the nearest thing to Bell. Not quite as multi talented or athletic but still potentially better than anything currently playing midfield in the PL & possibly an all time great footballing CB.

Whilst mentioning old times; Stephen Ireland's goal at Blackburn was vintage Rodney Marsh; fantasticly calm & cheeky!
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby svengali » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 am

Kladze wrote:

My prized possession is a signed Bell football Card. My dad got it when he was a young and now i have it. Il scan it in and upload it.

Edit: Hope it can be seen. Its only the size of a football sticker but its blown up for all to see.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby dick dastardley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 am

[youtube]1TiGLhRgQNM[/youtube]

this sums up the king completely
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:59 am

dick dastardley wrote:[youtube]1TiGLhRgQNM[/youtube]

this sums up the king completely

That dink over the West Ham defence was brilliant.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:03 pm

I would suggest that Bell's pass to Lee was on par wih anything Robbie or Ireland would do now in a similar position. When you consider that flair play is not even part of his game that he's famous for, it's an indication to those who didn't see him of just how much the bloke had in his locker. He did stuff like that as well!
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby svengali » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Has anyone ever seen the footage of Colin hitting the ball at a piece of netting across the goal that contained 5 holes in it from the penalty spot? He put the ball through every one first time as far as i can remember. Its another piece of footage my old man would show me when i was a kid which has sadly been lost.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm

the thing about that clip is that it's in 1972....

I am jealous of old you really old bastards that you got to see the Championship winning side win the league....but what I always forget until things like this article and video remind me is that you got to watch this side from 1967 til the bloody mid '70's more or less. Sure Bell was injured for a long period but you got to see a bloody brilliant City side for the business end of a decade.

Makes me sick with jealousy.

I have two trips to Wembley to show for my 34 years plus. One losing and one against a shite team in Kent.

Paaaah....shitbags
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm

svengali wrote:Has anyone ever seen the footage of Colin hitting the ball at a piece of netting across the goal that contained 5 holes in it from the penalty spot? He put the ball through every one first time as far as i can remember. Its another piece of footage my old man would show me when i was a kid which has sadly been lost.

I remember it from the time! I think it was on the 'Nationwide' programme. They had all the hoops over the goal & he's just going "..this is what we do to practice like....we aim for the top right corner.........then bottom left........" etc. Think he was further out than the pen spot as well.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:16 pm

ant london wrote:the thing about that clip is that it's in 1972....

I am jealous of old you really old bastards that you got to see the Championship winning side win the league....but what I always forget until things like this article and video remind me is that you got to watch this side from 1967 til the bloody mid '70's more or less. Sure Bell was injured for a long period but you got to see a bloody brilliant City side for the business end of a decade.

Makes me sick with jealousy.

I have two trips to Wembley to show for my 34 years plus. One losing and one against a shite team in Kent.

Paaaah....shitbags

We still got knocked out of cup competitions, threw away the league & occasionally beaten at home by people like Carlisle Utd though after 1970, if it makes you feel better! The Wolves Lg Cup final being a prime example. Enjoyed the football more than anything 'til now personally though. It's starting to come back imo.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby svengali » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
svengali wrote:Has anyone ever seen the footage of Colin hitting the ball at a piece of netting across the goal that contained 5 holes in it from the penalty spot? He put the ball through every one first time as far as i can remember. Its another piece of footage my old man would show me when i was a kid which has sadly been lost.

I remember it from the time! I think it was on the 'Nationwide' programme. They had all the hoops over the goal & he's just going "..this is what we do to practice like....we aim for the top right corner.........then bottom left........" etc. Think he was further out than the pen spot as well.

Yeh thats right it was hoops. I was only a kid when I watched it. The weird thing was, that my old man really wasnt that big into football but he sat me down at a young age and would rave about Bell. Glad someone else remembers it, all these years I started to think I had imagined it.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote: Enjoyed the football more than anything 'til now personally though. It's starting to come back imo.

That's the thing to be honest, it's not til you re-watch stuff from that side that you realise how good they are to watch. For me (and I've only seen limited amounts that exist on video and have obv heard tale after tale after tale) but it's the skill the team had and (much like our current incarnation) they always look like a blistering counterattacking side but also one which was full of real footballers.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby blackburnblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm

He was simply the best player i have seen pull on a sky blue shirt in 55 years of watching City- end of.
blackburnblue
Robinho's Step Over

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 am

Ant,
I was regaled by stories of Matt Busby, Sammy Cowan, Ernie Toseland, Freddie Tilson and many others going back into the 1920s at Hyde Road. I would dearly have loved to have enjoyed Peter Doherty and Billy Meredith.
Don't worry mate....In a few years, your grandkids will be saying to you..."Did you really see Stephen Ireland? Was his goal against Blackburn really that good?...and "Tell us again about how nobody thought we could win the League in 09, until we actually did"

....and they will be jealous of you.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:30 am

john68 wrote:Ant,
I was regaled by stories of Matt Busby, Sammy Cowan, Ernie Toseland, Freddie Tilson and many others going back into the 1920s at Hyde Road. I would dearly have loved to have enjoyed Peter Doherty and Billy Meredith.
Don't worry mate....In a few years, your grandkids will be saying to you..."Did you really see Stephen Ireland? Was his goal against Blackburn really that good?...and "Tell us again about how nobody thought we could win the League in 09, until we actually did"

....and they will be jealous of you.

Well let me tell you kids about his injury time winner volleyed versus Reading and his lash against Liverpool and his walk through the defence and chip against Arsenal. (We are gonna have so many stories for the kids)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum