King Colin Speaks...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

King Colin Speaks...

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:39 pm

EXCLUSIVE interview with Man City Legend Colin Bell

Footy Pundette speaks exclusively to one of the best footballers to ever play for Manchester City - Colin Bell.

It's not every day that you get to meet a bona fide legend. A footballer of the highest calibre, one that was so good for the club he played for that they decided to name a stand in the stadium after him.

It's safe to say that Colin Bell comes under that category. After starting his football career at Bury, he made his name playing for Manchester City in the so-called golden era of football during the 1970's. He was part of the dream team, playing alongside Mike Summerbee and Francis Lee, winning numerous accolades and trophies for City.

Colin went on to play for England but his career was cut painfully short when he severely injured his knee during a match against City's arch-rivals Manchester United in 1975. He was only 29 and at the peak of his career.

After recovering, Colin tried to resurrect his playing days in America at the San Jose Earthquakes but decided to call time on what had been a bittersweet but successful career.

"I don't know if anything made me want to become a footballer. I just thought that I was put on this earth to be a footballer. That is the way it went through the early stages of my life in school; I was always playing football. I always went everywhere with the ball at my foot. I was playing football at school at an early age. I just thought, at the back of my mind, even though I was going through school, I would become a professional footballer.

"It's only in hindsight, years down the line, you realise how lucky you are that it happened that way. There are a million kids that dream of becoming a footballer now and it never happens for them. But fortunately enough for me, it happened. To me it was a hobby and I was lucky to become a professional and get paid for it. There's nothing that comes better in life than getting paid for something that you just love to do. It was fantastic."

"50% of the players were Manchester lads"

"There were a lot of Manchester lads, which was great because it was a Manchester team. I would say that about 50% of the players were Manchester lads. You talk about foreign players coming in now: I don't mind the quality players coming in. I didn't like it a few years ago when they started to come in but you have to draw the line somewhere. Once the quality players are in, I would prefer to give English players a chance after that. By all means bring quality in if it's going to improve the team, but at some stage you have to draw the line and say to give the youngsters a try or our own players. It should be a happy medium really.

"During my time at City I was close to three players because they had a similar personality to me, they were quiet and reserved; Alan Oakes, Glyn Pardoe and Mike Doyle. If we ever went away on club trips we would tend to run together and play golf together. We did everything together when we were away with the club, basically because we all shared a similar personality and temperament.

"I was lucky enough to play alongside George Best during my time at the San Jose Earthquakes. He was very special. He will stand out in history as a great player and he really was. The number one thing about George Best, even though he was a great player, was that he was a lovely person. I used to run with him when we played for the Earthquakes. I hadn't met him before then; of all the times that I played against him when he was at Manchester United and I was at City I hadn't bumped into him or gone out with him. But for a few months at San Jose I got to know him and he was lovely. As everybody knows, he was a special player.

"I look back on my career, and the thing that I am proudest of is when we came out on top after those 42 league games, so I would say that winning the Championship at City was my proudest moment. But the glory one is probably the F.A. Cup, I was lucky enough to win that as well. Both of those come very high in honours really. But my number one thing was when I got injured and I came back from my bad injury to finally be able to finish my career.

"It was against Newcastle at home on a Boxing Day. There were 45,000 fans there and I got a standing ovation from both sets of fans. I had this connection with the City supporters from day one. They just took to me straight away and the reception that I got on this particular day was absolutely fantastic. Football is a team sport, but this day, when I came on as a substitute at half time, it was a standing ovation for me personally. I will always remember that game; it was my number one game. I've played for England, I've won these trophies, but my number one game was that."

"The money in football now is over the top"

"The thing about being a footballer is that it is a short career and I do believe that footballers should be paid decent wages because they are entertainers and are classed as entertainers. But the money in football these days is well and truly over the top. It should be a good wage but there should be a ceiling on transfer fees and on wages. Somebody at the top should have done that years ago. I can't blame the players for taking the money that's offered to them. It isn't their fault. I'm sure if you were offered that amount of cash you would just say thank you very much. A lot of footballers would agree they are lucky to be picking up the kind of wages that they are. If they play for three or four years these days players can be set for life.

"But that doesn't mean I would change when I played. The only thing that I would have probably changed would have been the wages or the pitches. Other than that, the time during which I played and the people that I played with and against, well it was a better era. It was a better time in life and a better standard of football, better everything.

"With that in mind, because it is a short career, players have to knuckle down and be whiter than white, especially nowadays with the amount of press and television coverage. It only lasts perhaps 10-15 years so it isn't a great length of time. You just have to put the brakes on everything and be whiter than white, that's how professional footballers should be. I get annoyed or frustrated when they get caught out with drinking or doing things that they shouldn't do. They should be squeaky clean."

"City will be one of the biggest clubs in the world"

"City are now moving with the times. The thing that I have always thought about over the years is why has somebody with money never gone into City before because I've always considered City as a big, big club. Why we haven't had interest from people with money before is something I have never understood. I've had my fingers crossed for a long time that somebody would finally come in with good and true money and it looks as though that is the case now.

"Hopefully we will be one of the top teams, not just in Britain but in the world. The money was needed without a doubt, you can't go anywhere without money nowadays in football. Over the last five or ten years the Premier League has become very predictable. It's always the four top clubs that have got money. It's unfair to the rest. In my time, everybody in the division had a chance of winning the league because it was the same wages for everybody; everybody could afford the top players so everybody had an equal chance. But now it's a terrible shame that the other clubs are struggling.

"You know what? The only regret I have in life is that I picked up an injury when I could have played for another five years with the way my career looked at that moment in time. To add another five years or so onto my career when I was at the top and had played 40-odd times for England, I could have probably reached a hundred. I could have probably won more trophies. I could have probably got another 200 or so appearances in, my goal-scoring chart would have looked better...there's so many things. But that's my only regret. I was blessed and so very lucky to play football."
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: King Colin Speaks...

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 pm

He really was at his peak when that injury happened. A much much better player imo than when he played in the Championship winning team & in my opinion he'd only really started to reach his peak a year or so before, finding the correct role in the team. The world's media were just starting to realise how good he was. As football evolved, Bell was evolving into a true modern midfield player, brilliant at every aspect of the game. Something like 16-18 goals from midfield the season before, more than most strikers at the time but also tackling everything that moved & there was nothing he couldn't do as well as anyone else on the team, literally nothing, well apart from long dribbling runs like Barnes/Marsh I suppose; he only did that occasionally.

City finished runners up of course the following season. Imo we'd've won the league comfortably with Bell & If he was in this team, we'd win the league comfortably now. (but we may anyway ;-)
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fish111 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm

He really is a true legend, i've met him quite a few times behind the scenes and he is very quiet, private and such a gent. Very interesting to listen to when he opens up.

His career was ended by a dirty rag bastard with a disgusting challenge who still, to this day, has not apologised. That hurt him in the past and still sticks in his craw but he says he has put it behind him but look at the last paragraph of the interview, it still hurts him even now imo.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby adebayor25 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Fish111 wrote:He really is a true legend, i've met him quite a few times behind the scenes and he is very quiet, private and such a gent. Very interesting to listen to when he opens up.

His career was ended by a dirty rag bastard with a disgusting challenge who still, to this day, has not apologised. That hurt him in the past and still sticks in his craw but he says he has put it behind him but look at the last paragraph of the interview, it still hurts him even now imo.

took the words out of my mouth lmao. agreed mate.
adebayor25
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Martin Buchan or however you spell it, is everthing that somes up Trafford United in one person along with Roy Bean imo.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby irblinx » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 pm

I only got to interview him over the phone but he honestly couldn't have been more accommodating, a true gent and a total legend
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby baldyblue » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:39 pm

10.Goater_Legend wrote:Martin Buchan or however you spell it, is everthing that somes up Trafford U***d in one person along with Roy Bean imo.

Agree completely.

I saw him a few times after he came back from injury, the one that sticks in my mind was when he (I think) came on as a sub when we played twente enschede in our good uefa cup when we went on to knock out liege and milan too. I never saw him play before B(f)uchans tackle but by all accounts he wasn't quite the athlete he was before the injury. Despite this he is the only real hero I have ever had.

forgive me for digressing a tiny bit:

[youtube]XnzTBA4PRNg[/youtube]
baldyblue
Superman's Underpants

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:56 pm

I was at the old Baseball Ground (Derby)...Bell moved forward towards the Derby goal and worra shit shot. It rebounded off the keeper back to bell and bounced into the net...The 1st goal of many...was probably his worst and luckiest.

The most emotional moment in my time at Maine Road was when Bell first attempted to return from injury. He came out for the 2nd half with no announcement....The crowd never expected it...went almost silent ..,then a whisper...rose to a massive crescendo of noise with grown men crying.
In a time when we use superlatives at the drop of a hat...Colin Bell was/is the greatest City player ever and a thorough gentleman.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby gillie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 pm

john68 wrote:I was at the old Baseball Ground (Derby)...Bell moved forward towards the Derby goal and worra shit shot. It rebounded off the keeper back to bell and bounced into the net...The 1st goal of many...was probably his worst and luckiest.

The most emotional moment in my time at Maine Road was when Bell first attempted to return from injury. He came out for the 2nd half with no announcement....The crowd never expected it...went almost silent ..,then a whisper...rose to a massive crescendo of noise with grown men crying.
In a time when we use superlatives at the drop of a hat...Colin Bell was/is the greatest City player ever and a thorough gentleman.

John you are one lucky sod you saw him in his pomp i only saw him at the end which is my biggest regret.I would have loved to have been on the Kippax when he was in full flow i only ever saw his best games on tv.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 pm

We now talk about box to box players...Bell was the ultimate.
I saw him score at Maine Rd...later on MOTD they showed the build up.
Bell cleared the ball from near the City goalline (corner/free kick?)...he put it out forward to the wing. The ball was crossed ito the opposing goal area and it was Bell who headed it in the net...The full length of the field, overtaking everyone.
john68

Postby gillie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 pm

john68 wrote:We now talk about box to box players...Bell was the ultimate.
I saw him score at Maine Rd...later on MOTD they showed the build up.
Bell cleared the ball from near the City goalline (corner/free kick?)...he put it out forward to the wing. The ball was crossed ito the opposing goal area and it was Bell who headed it in the net...The full length of the field, overtaking everyone.

Now you are just rubbing it in you rascal.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 pm

No Mate.....(weeeeelll yessssss!).

It really pisses me off that I missed Big Swiftie and Peter (the great) Doherty....and no I never saw fuclin Billy Meredith either....:-)
john68

Postby gillie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 pm

john68 wrote:No Mate.....(weeeeelll yessssss!).

It really pisses me off that I missed Big Swiftie and Peter (the great) Doherty....and no I never saw fuclin Billy Meredith either....:-)

Crossan told me you use to carry Merediths boots to the ground for him so dont lie lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 pm

gillie wrote:
john68 wrote:I was at the old Baseball Ground (Derby)...Bell moved forward towards the Derby goal and worra shit shot. It rebounded off the keeper back to bell and bounced into the net...The 1st goal of many...was probably his worst and luckiest.

John you are one lucky sod you saw him in his pomp i only saw him at the end which is my biggest regret.I would have loved to have been on the Kippax when he was in full flow i only ever saw his best games on tv.

One of the saddest things for me is that most of the best moments I've seen from Bell were never captured on TV because only a few games per week were filmed & then only severely edited highlights were shown.

Things like him sprinting diagonally from the half way line to slide tackle a speedy left winger, springing back to his feet with the ball in one move (ala SWP) then playing a curving 40 yard pass straight down the wing round the side of the other team, almost but not quite going over the line, weighted perfectly to just spin nicely into the path of Summerbee who was already running because he knew Bell could do it, he'd seen it before, then the roar of the Kippax as Summerbee took the ball without breaking stride...& now the realisation that David Beckham will forever be rated as a better player because of TV.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:39 pm

At 36 I missed out on Nijinsky...but the older blues I know talk of him in God Like terms...don't think there has been anyone in my time as a City fan who has even come close to that sort of adoration and maybe never will
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Kladze » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:35 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:At 36 I missed out on Nijinsky...but the older blues I know talk of him in God Like terms...don't think there has been anyone in my time as a City fan who has even come close to that sort of adoration and maybe never will

Bell was the only player I've ever seen (and by that I mean ever, anywhere) who had not a single weak aspect to his game. He wasn't a flair player but he could be at times; Joe Corrigan freely admitted that the power of his shooting was frightening; he could play one touch passes and / or long, raking, diagonal passes at will; I could go on .... heading, lung bursting runs etc.

The Newcastle game - referred to in the article - had been a fairly insipid affair despite the size of the crowd, and was 0-0 at half time. Bell came on for the second half and the crowd went .... well ... bonkers. City tore Newcastle to pieces and won the game 4-0. Physically, Bell had little to do with it but psychologically, he inspired it.

Having said that some of his later appearances were tinged with sadness as it was obvious he hadn't (and never would) recovered from the injury.

A quiet man, it was known to be difficult to get his autograph - I managed to get it but I was a stupid teenager and lost it.
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Leedsblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 am

I am old enough to have watched City regularly in the glory days. Bell was the man but the whole team was class then and the forward line was superb with Summerbee, Lee and the underrated Neil Young. I cannot remember specific matches now but it was a great time then.
Leedsblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby City1970 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 am

I have been lucky enough to meet him a few times, most notably when he was running a footy school at Butlin in Pwhelli. I was only about 11 or 12 at the time, and some of the passes he could do were fantastic.

I also saw him on his first game when he came back from the injury. You could see his brain was still up to it, but his knee was shot to peices, and he just wasnt the player he once was, as a result of it. It was one of the saddest things I ever saw.
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 am

So that Colin Bell, pretty shit then?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dronny » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 am

Great article and an unbelievably awesome player, was my hero when I was a kid at school and has never been replaced from a footballing perspective. As folks have said on here, he was the complete package, there was nothing he couldn't do.

One thing that gave me a wry smile was when he mentioned his three best mates who mirrored his personality, Alan Oakes, yes, Glyn Pardoe, yes but I didn't expect to see Mike Doyle. I never had Doyley down as a mirror image of the King with his quiet character, personality and temperment!
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum