centre backs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

centre backs

Postby adebayor25 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm

with the cb's we have now which would of them would you play ?

dunne
toure
onuoha
tbh

personally id go for onuoha and toure but cause dunne is our captain he wont be left on the bench

thoughts ?
adebayor25
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Re: centre backs

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Same here mate Ned and Toure would be my partnership but, if (and it now seems a big if) we land Lescott I would put him next to Kolo. Dunne would be quality back up with Ned rotating with Lescott.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 pm

adebayor25 wrote:with the cb's we have now which would of them would you play ?

dunne
toure
onuoha
tbh

personally id go for onuoha and toure but cause dunne is our captain he wont be left on the bench

thoughts ?

And heres me thinking cb's went out in the early eighties.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby 13021J » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 pm

I know he's injured but Kompany's best position is cb, he should be first choice alongside Toure
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Vhero » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Toure with Ned for me with Dunne as backup and if we got Lescott then Ned would go no.1 choice backup and Dunne would only warm the bench if Ned/Toure/Lescott not fit.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Crossie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Agreed with Kompany - Toure

Komps is Belgiums first choice cb. He is big, fast, tall, strong, experienced for his age and canny.

Toure has class.

Those two can be our first choice cb pairing. Then Neds, Dunney, TBH, Barry, the youth lads can all back up and mix and match.

So that would give us Zabs and Bridge, quality full backs. Then a new first choice centre back pairing, both quality players, problem solved.

Lescott isnt needed, if he does come, great, he will improve the squad, if he doesnt then its no big deal.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby 13021J » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 pm

The only reason to sign Lescott is to provide (excellent) cover at left back which is currently sadly lacking. When he signs Hughes can cull TBH and Garrido which will tidy up the squad nicely
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby dazby » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:21 am

Whoever is fit and in form. Simple.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:25 am

13021J wrote:The only reason to sign Lescott is to provide (excellent) cover at left back which is currently sadly lacking. When he signs Hughes can cull TBH and Garrido which will tidy up the squad nicely

TBH yes, but I wouldnt go getting rid of Garrido. He's only young and has shown great potential. I think he's great cover for Bridge.

Lescott and Toure would be my ideal starting back 2 if we got him. Next in line Ned, then Dunney, then Kompany if needed.

Right now for Wolves though i'd keep Dunney and Toure. The back four defended excellently against Blackburn. No need to change it.
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:13 am

Ned and Toure.
Lescott would be in at left back, where I think Bridge is a problem. Having said that, he was a lot better on Saturday at Blackburn.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:39 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Ned and Toure.
Lescott would be in at left back, where I think Bridge is a problem. Having said that, he was a lot better on Saturday at Blackburn.

Where is this coming from?

I dont know at all,Bridge has been solid all pre season and was great against Blackburn where he coped with a tricky Diouf well.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:47 am

I have been underwhelmed with Bridge. I thought he was shocking at Rangers.
He is hopelessly weak in the air, but more worryingly, never actually seems to stop anybody by tackling or intercepting passes. Like I say though I thought he was much improved v Blackburn. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season, but he troubles me.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have been underwhelmed with Bridge. I thought he was shocking at Rangers.
He is hopelessly weak in the air, but more worryingly, never actually seems to stop anybody by tackling or intercepting passes. Like I say though I thought he was much improved v Blackburn. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season, but he troubles me.

You're right...he was much improved at Blackburn...and personally I think he is improving all the time...What you have to remember is that he played understudy to Cashley for a long time so when he came to City he was very much match rusty...I think he has taken this long to get into the swing of things and I genuinely expect him to do great for us this term.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have been underwhelmed with Bridge. I thought he was shocking at Rangers.

You're right...he was much improved at Blackburn...and personally I think he is improving all the time...What you have to remember is that he played understudy to Cashley for a long time so when he came to City he was very much match rusty...I think he has taken this long to get into the swing of things and I genuinely expect him to do great for us this term.

Me too.

I like Bridge,yeah he might not be a warrior and slam hard tackles in all over the place but he is a top left back IMHO.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:15 am

Crossie wrote:Agreed with Kompany - Toure

Komps is Belgiums first choice cb. He is big, fast, tall, strong, experienced for his age and canny.

Toure has class.

Those two can be our first choice cb pairing. Then Neds, Dunney, TBH, Barry, the youth lads can all back up and mix and match.

So that would give us Zabs and Bridge, quality full backs. Then a new first choice centre back pairing, both quality players, problem solved.

Lescott isnt needed, if he does come, great, he will improve the squad, if he doesnt then its no big deal.

agreed - Toure shows the benefit of a CB with a footballing brain - Kompany has that has well - Saturday we just attracted far too much pressure - for no good reason - ir was often down to Dunnie and Micah's lack of footballing nous
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:16 am

deleted
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 am

I really really hope you two are right. However, I've not seen much improvement in him in the second half of last season, nor had I in pre season. Maybe I'm too hasty in giving up on him. I'd soooner have Lescott at left back than Bridge though.
On the other hand, a few more Blackburn type performances and everything might be just fine.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Vhero » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:11 pm

*Tut* *Tut* And you tell me to watch the streams?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Vhero wrote:

*Tut* *Tut* And you tell me to watch the streams?

No I don't tell you to watch the streams.
Care to elaborate?
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am

It depends who is in front of him on the left - when he is playing behind Petrov he has to do so much work it's not surprising he gets caught out a few times (due to Petrov's total lack of defensive effort) - if he has some support he can concentrate on his own role rather than trying to 'fire-fight' covering someone elses' arse. He has been impressive this preseason all things considered, and put in another solid effort on Saturday. You watch, he will really shine when he gets the time and space to play as an attacking fullback.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum