How to not get Superman playing for Ireland

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: How to not get Superman playing for Ireland

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 am

Ted Hughes wrote:He's going to have his Irish games struck from the record then in a few years captain England.

you mean changing his name to Stephen England and claiming lifelong allegiance to England, in best Ryan Wilson fashion?
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:07 am

I don't think we should be so happy or cavalier that he isn't playing for the national side. Having him play in a different system and under different coaching staff will help develop him as a player, they should remove the whole issue and just call it a clean slate. Stevie walks through the door and goes back to work, no need for a confrontation or resolution.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:14 am

Slim wrote:I don't think we should be so happy or cavalier that he isn't playing for the national side. Having him play in a different system and under different coaching staff will help develop him as a player, they should remove the whole issue and just call it a clean slate. Stevie walks through the door and goes back to work, no need for a confrontation or resolution.

Agree with that.

Thing is, I'd like Stevie to be seen on the international stage too...shining as a City player.

I know the world is a smaller place now and that the PL is hugely more visible than the old first division was but the whole reason why foreigners (who only pay a passing interest to football) know Bobby Charlton and not George Best is that Best never got to a world cup.

Feasibly, with Stevie in the team the ROI could qualify more easily than without him. I don't buy that "what about the lads who have done the work so far" argument. It's like asking the City team on the penultimate day of last summer's transfer window whether they'd like to have Robinho join them or whether they'd like to just carry on the hard work they'd started without him???!?!?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 am

I couldn't give a toss whether he played for Ireland ever again as long as he's playing for City, that's all that matters to me.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:He's going to have his Irish games struck from the record then in a few years captain England.

Wash your fucking mouth out Mr Hughes!

Trapp is doing what he has been doing since he took over - avoiding the 'problem' of Stevie coming back by putting the emphasis on the player everytime. Every other manager has said if they were in charge, they'd do everything in their power to get him into the side.

The fact is that trapp has his 'system' and that doesn't involve playmakers/CAMs. If he begs Ireland to come back and plays him, he'll have to change the system that could well get us to the world cup. If he begs Ireland to come back and doesn't play him, there'll be murder.

Its much easier for Trapp to let sleeping dogs lie.

Its not what I'd do, but hey ho, I'm not the boss of a team that will have over achieved if they do qualify for the WC.

Also, I agree with Slim in that I'd like to see him playing for his country because it certainly does help development and experience and that will be a benefit to City.

Ideally, I'd like to see us qualify and then get him back training and in friendlies for the tournament itself but that's highly unlikely.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

you mean changing his name to Stephen England and claiming lifelong allegiance to England, in best Ryan Wilson fashion?

Yep he could, it'd be fun shouting "England for England" or "Ireland for England" so I don't mind either way.

I bet Ryan Wilson was really pleased he let someone talk him into being Welsh. Who wants to play in the World Cup anyway? You could tell how comitted he was to Wales by the big effort he made to turn out for them.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Wash your fucking mouth out Mr Hughes!

Trapp is doing what he has been doing since he took over - avoiding the 'problem' of Stevie coming back by putting the emphasis on the player everytime. Every other manager has said if they were in charge, they'd do everything in their power to get him into the side.

The fact is that trapp has his 'system' and that doesn't involve playmakers/CAMs. If he begs Ireland to come back and plays him, he'll have to change the system that could well get us to the world cup. If he begs Ireland to come back and doesn't play him, there'll be murder.

Its much easier for Trapp to let sleeping dogs lie.

Its not what I'd do, but hey ho, I'm not the boss of a team that will have over achieved if they do qualify for the WC.

Also, I agree with Slim in that I'd like to see him playing for his country because it certainly does help development and experience and that will be a benefit to City.

Ideally, I'd like to see us qualify and then get him back training and in friendlies for the tournament itself but that's highly unlikely.

No, he'll never qualify for us if he keeps playing for you lot.

If it's true that some tw@ was bullying him & said tw@ is still there he won't go back, not when everything's going so well for him without it.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:09 pm

to be honest, i dont care if he dosent play for ireland again, what i want is superman playing for us and scoring lots of goals
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum