Poor skint Rafa!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Poor skint Rafa!

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:41 am

Oh dear, poor old Rafa has a weak squad and no money! Hahaha!

Rafa Benitez has been left devastated after being told he has just £1.5million to spend by his club's American owners.

The Liverpool manager has struggled against budget constraints all summer because of the financial crisis at Anfield, and revealed a week ago he was in talks to try and extend his kitty.

Benitez wants a centre half to provide cover in a crucial position, with Daniel Agger suffering from a back problem, and he also would love to sign a wide player who can also operate as a stand in striker.

But after talks with the Yanks, he has been told there is only a miserly sum available - which will not even buy one player, never mind the two he desires.

It has left the Liverpool searching frantically around for a loan signing before the transfer window closes at the end of August, and he has sounded out several targets.

His first choice was Ryan Shawcross, but Stoke have laughed off the suggestion that they would let a defender important to them go out on loan for an entire Premier League season.

Benitez has also enquired about the Real Madrid centre half Ezequiel Garay, and he may have more joy in that direction, with the Spanish giants ready to consider a further loan period for the 22 year old.

Liverpool's Spanish boss was actually in the market for Garay a year ago, but was beaten to the punch by Madrid, who snapped up the Argentina international for £10million, and promptly loaned him back to his former club Racing Santander.

That loan period was up in June, but with the Bernabeu side signing Valencia centre half Raul Albiol in the summer they have no room in the squad for Garay and will consider another loan.

That will suit Benitez perfectly, because he knows that the frankly insulting £1.5million will do little more than pay the loan fee for a year.

Liverpool have been thrust into a desperate financial situation because the American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have been hit by the worldwide credit crunch, which has reduced dramatically the value of their assets.

They were forced to go to the banks in July to extend loans they took out to buy the club for another year. Hicks and Gillett had extended their debt to around £360million, but were told by banks the RBS and Wachovia that it would have to be reduced.

The pair were asked to find around £60million, and that has come by cutting the Anfield transfer budget and diverting operating profits into repaying some of tyhe loans.

When Benitez negotiated a new contract back in April, he was offered guarantees that he would be given £20million to spend, plus the money from the sale of Robbie Keane to Spurs back in January.

That amounted to almost £38million, and the Spanish coach was also told that he could use any money he generated in the transfer market through sales.

But this summer he has raised more than £40million through the sale of Xabi Alonso, Sebastian Leto, Alvaro Arbeloa, Paul Anderson and Jack Hobbs.

Benitez has spent around £33million of that on signing Glen Johnson and the Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani, who was a direct replacement for Alonso.

But it means he has made a PROFIT in the transfer market in a summer which was widely perceived to be a massive one in the history of the club, given how close they were to becoming genuine title contenders.

The Anfield boss believed that he needed two more quality signings to allow his side to make the final step to becoming Champions, but instead he will now have to shop in the bargain basement for just one more addition to his squad.

He has also enquired about taking the Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin on loan, but was again met with near incredulity by the South coast club.

What will have angered Benitez most is that he was in a position to sign the Spain international winger David Silva from Valencia, but then had to pull out of the deal because he didn't have the money to meet the £17million asking price.

The Reds manager has so far refrained from speaking out about the apparent u-turn on their word by the American owners, but he is known privately to be angry about the situation, and may not be able to resist a reaction in the coming days.

Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: Poor skint Rafa!

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:58 am

Hahahaha
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby glossopblue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 am

so he couldn't have signed barry even if he had wanted too? poor rafa :-)
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Esky » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:12 pm

We'd do well to beat them to the punch for Ezequiel Garay imo; it hadn't crossed my mind that he'd have fallen down behind Albiol/Metzelder/Pepe and whoever else Madrid have back there. Tevez and Zabaleta would easily help him bed in and he's a fantastic talent. Still though, that's not the point of the thread:

Hahaha.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Always take these journo stories with a pinch of salt myself but watching over the weekend, definitely seemed to be something missing with both red scum teams. Lack of signings effecting team spirit could be a factor. Whether they'll get over it quickly & start playing as they were I don't know but I'd be a tad worried if I was a fan of either; something didn't look right.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby adebayor25 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:Oh dear, poor old Rafa has a weak squad and no money! Hahaha!

Rafa Benitez has been left devastated after being told he has just £1.5million to spend by his club's American owners.

The Liverpool manager has struggled against budget constraints all summer because of the financial crisis at Anfield, and revealed a week ago he was in talks to try and extend his kitty.

Benitez wants a centre half to provide cover in a crucial position, with Daniel Agger suffering from a back problem, and he also would love to sign a wide player who can also operate as a stand in striker.

But after talks with the Yanks, he has been told there is only a miserly sum available - which will not even buy one player, never mind the two he desires.

It has left the Liverpool searching frantically around for a loan signing before the transfer window closes at the end of August, and he has sounded out several targets.

His first choice was Ryan Shawcross, but Stoke have laughed off the suggestion that they would let a defender important to them go out on loan for an entire Premier League season.

Benitez has also enquired about the Real Madrid centre half Ezequiel Garay, and he may have more joy in that direction, with the Spanish giants ready to consider a further loan period for the 22 year old.

Liverpool's Spanish boss was actually in the market for Garay a year ago, but was beaten to the punch by Madrid, who snapped up the Argentina international for £10million, and promptly loaned him back to his former club Racing Santander.

That loan period was up in June, but with the Bernabeu side signing Valencia centre half Raul Albiol in the summer they have no room in the squad for Garay and will consider another loan.

That will suit Benitez perfectly, because he knows that the frankly insulting £1.5million will do little more than pay the loan fee for a year.

Liverpool have been thrust into a desperate financial situation because the American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have been hit by the worldwide credit crunch, which has reduced dramatically the value of their assets.

They were forced to go to the banks in July to extend loans they took out to buy the club for another year. Hicks and Gillett had extended their debt to around £360million, but were told by banks the RBS and Wachovia that it would have to be reduced.

The pair were asked to find around £60million, and that has come by cutting the Anfield transfer budget and diverting operating profits into repaying some of tyhe loans.

When Benitez negotiated a new contract back in April, he was offered guarantees that he would be given £20million to spend, plus the money from the sale of Robbie Keane to Spurs back in January.

That amounted to almost £38million, and the Spanish coach was also told that he could use any money he generated in the transfer market through sales.

But this summer he has raised more than £40million through the sale of Xabi Alonso, Sebastian Leto, Alvaro Arbeloa, Paul Anderson and Jack Hobbs.

Benitez has spent around £33million of that on signing Glen Johnson and the Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani, who was a direct replacement for Alonso.

But it means he has made a PROFIT in the transfer market in a summer which was widely perceived to be a massive one in the history of the club, given how close they were to becoming genuine title contenders.

The Anfield boss believed that he needed two more quality signings to allow his side to make the final step to becoming Champions, but instead he will now have to shop in the bargain basement for just one more addition to his squad.

He has also enquired about taking the Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin on loan, but was again met with near incredulity by the South coast club.

What will have angered Benitez most is that he was in a position to sign the Spain international winger David Silva from Valencia, but then had to pull out of the deal because he didn't have the money to meet the £17million asking price.

The Reds manager has so far refrained from speaking out about the apparent u-turn on their word by the American owners, but he is known privately to be angry about the situation, and may not be able to resist a reaction in the coming days.

he can have ben haim for £1.5 million ;).
adebayor25
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Fucking hilarious. I'm having great craic with the dipper fans here. One in particular is a right pompus fuck who's been giving me stick for years and its starting to turn big time.

He's also the one I have THE bet on with... yes, that bet that I got ridiculed for making last September.... the one where I bet €1000 that City would win the premier league before liverpool.

It won't happen this season, it may not happen next season.... but every season that passes, Liverpool will get further away while we get closer.

Also have a €500 bet with a rag fan that City will finish ahead of United before 2014. All these fuckers didn't seem to heed the ultimate warning.... in the end money talks. Neither fan wants these bets now BTW, but its tooooooooooooooo late lads.

:))
Original Dub

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

£17 Mill for David Silva? What are we waiting for? A bit of loose change that!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Futbol » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Lots of people tipping them for the title but there squad looks thin and I can't see them going the course - particularly if Torres and Gerrard miss chuncks of the season.
Futbol
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Rodney Marsh

Postby Oooh Vonky Vonky » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Original Dub wrote:Fucking hilarious. I'm having great craic with the dipper fans here. One in particular is a right pompus fuck who's been giving me stick for years and its starting to turn big time.

He's also the one I have THE bet on with... yes, that bet that I got ridiculed for making last September.... the one where I bet €1000 that City would win the premier league before liverpool.

It won't happen this season, it may not happen next season.... but every season that passes, Liverpool will get further away while we get closer.

Also have a €500 bet with a rag fan that City will finish ahead of U***d before 2014. All these fuckers didn't seem to heed the ultimate warning.... in the end money talks. Neither fan wants these bets now BTW, but its tooooooooooooooo late lads.

Interesting bet.............but i reckon i have a better one.

in May a gooner mate gave me 14 to 1 that Arsenal would finish higher than City this season. I have stuck £50 on. Not saying its a dead cert or anything, but he is wishing he had a few less lagers that night in May now !!!
Oooh Vonky Vonky
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

£1.5mill? hahaha, oh dear well theres a lad called Benjani going for that much if there interested? great cover for Fernando, till we take him ;-)
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:21 pm

pmsl ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Oooh Vonky Vonky wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Fucking hilarious. I'm having great craic with the dipper fans here. One in particular is a right pompus fuck who's been giving me stick for years and its starting to turn big time.

Also have a €500 bet with a rag fan that City will finish ahead of U***d before 2014. All these fuckers didn't seem to heed the ultimate warning.... in the end money talks. Neither fan wants these bets now BTW, but its tooooooooooooooo late lads.

Interesting bet.............but i reckon i have a better one.

in May a gooner mate gave me 14 to 1 that Arsenal would finish higher than City this season. I have stuck £50 on. Not saying its a dead cert or anything, but he is wishing he had a few less lagers that night in May now !!!

Damn right mate.

Shows the mentality of the sky four fans. It has been drilled into them that the big four can't be broken and they've fallen for it so much that they think its not possible for the richest club in the world to (somehow?!) become the best.

Idiots are even willing to give their money away because Sky told them it won't happen.

:)
Original Dub

Postby Patrick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Didi is available and wants to stay in the prem
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Who??? Hahaha

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5498803,00.html
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Gio

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Edit - double post
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Gio

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm

giokingkladze wrote:Who??? Hahaha

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5498803,00.html

God knows, they droped a bollock big time selling Alonso imo.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Return to The Maine Football forum