City Unveil Grand Expansion Plan For COMS?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City Unveil Grand Expansion Plan For COMS?

Postby Twobob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
adebayor25 wrote:maybe if we get in the top 4, it will open the flood gates and all the fans will come and watch. then we might get 60.000.
cant see it myself though.

remember, when we were still in Maine Road we had season ticket waiting list of 40k or something like that. When we first moved to COMS all the games were sold out at first.

Lot of people however seemed to grow tired of 'mid-table mediocrity' and godawful football under Pearce. Maybe the lack of anything serious to look forward to affected the crowds as well.

So I'd say that with succesfull football team we'd have every chance of filling 60k ground in ten years time. Especially if we hold on to the current line of offering very cheap season tickets to youngsters and kids. Brilliant marketing strategy that by the way. Taken from tobacco industry! Get them hooked young and you have lifelong customer!

And that was in the 1st Div (as it was then) and when we had just gone back up to the Prem!

We could have filled Maine Rd twice - Easily - We had good attacking footbal under KK and people bought into the infectious attitude that KK had.

I agree that one of the main reasons why our attendance dropped was The 'Pearce' reign - Suicidal at the best, depressing and painfull - I know of several people that didn't renew thier season tickets after that!

Get out of the habit and its dificult for people to get back into it again. This year will be a strange one, The season ticket sales will be great for constant attendance and the atnosphere, ticket sales will be good if we're playing to our potential but we need to think about the recession too and that may have a negative impact on things but the club seem to be aware of that and look to be trying to help out were they can.

It's also an old story - they must have had some blank space they needed to fill, the good thing is that we're trying to get fans back for the right reason - To spur the team on, raise the clubs profile with a growing fan base and to give the fans what they want. Unlike the Rags etc who need to fill thier grounds for the revenue, we're not that reliant on it at the moment.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby bluwes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Craig Bardsley wrote:
john68 wrote:
bluwes wrote:From a contact the Rags only got 67,000 on sunday against Brum, despite what the official figures say.

I don't doubt the veracity of that post and of those figure mate and I can see, if they are true, why the rags would be frightened to their financial death to announce them.
It has always been thought (by them) that there were an invisible 10,000 outside the stadium, who couldn't get tickets. If what you posted is true, it means that not only did they have a shortfall on their actual ticket sales, but they have lost that other 10,000 too.
Considering it is the 1st game of the season, with enthusiasm running high....that would mean a massive reduction in the popularity.

Their money men would be (or should be) near to panic stations. The only way they can go is downwards.

I can't see how it can be true as I watched the game on Sky and there wasn't any empty seats on view.

Apparently plenty of room in the north stand upper tier and the new quadrants
bluwes
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Twobob wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
adebayor25 wrote:maybe if we get in the top 4, it will open the flood gates and all the fans will come and watch. then we might get 60.000.
cant see it myself though.

remember, when we were still in Maine Road we had season ticket waiting list of 40k or something like that. When we first moved to COMS all the games were sold out at first.

Lot of people however seemed to grow tired of 'mid-table mediocrity' and godawful football under Pearce. Maybe the lack of anything serious to look forward to affected the crowds as well.

So I'd say that with succesfull football team we'd have every chance of filling 60k ground in ten years time. Especially if we hold on to the current line of offering very cheap season tickets to youngsters and kids. Brilliant marketing strategy that by the way. Taken from tobacco industry! Get them hooked young and you have lifelong customer!

And that was in the 1st Div (as it was then) and when we had just gone back up to the Prem!

We could have filled Maine Rd twice - Easily - We had good attacking footbal under KK and people bought into the infectious attitude that KK had.

I agree that one of the main reasons why our attendance dropped was The 'Pearce' reign - Suicidal at the best, depressing and painfull - I know of several people that didn't renew thier season tickets after that!

Get out of the habit and its dificult for people to get back into it again. This year will be a strange one, The season ticket sales will be great for constant attendance and the atnosphere, ticket sales will be good if we're playing to our potential but we need to think about the recession too and that may have a negative impact on things but the club seem to be aware of that and look to be trying to help out were they can.

It's also an old story - they must have had some blank space they needed to fill, the good thing is that we're trying to get fans back for the right reason - To spur the team on, raise the clubs profile with a growing fan base and to give the fans what they want. Unlike the Rags etc who need to fill thier grounds for the revenue, we're not that reliant on it at the moment.

The Pearce era wiped out lots of long standing blues many of whom have not come back. I think it's because of all the effort we made to come back from the dead then having got there, threw it away on wankers like Fowler & Pearce's football was the final nail. My uncle had been going all his life went to the ECWC final etc but even he chucked it due to Pearce. Good sign though is that he's making little suggestions that "if there was a bus from...etc etc" he'd go, so there may be a lot more like him tempted as he was adamant he'd finished, even during last season. He's struggling to stay away.

Strange thing is, I know a load of people who went to nearly every home game in the 3rd division & have barely been since. It was quick & simple to get a ticket so they did. If we make the ground bigger , make buying a ticket simpler & drop the ticket prices a bit, these lot would go again, I'm certain.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby s1ty m » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:42 pm

city have a huge fanbase, here and abroad. many people on here are underestimating the power of the blues.

1986, we go up against charlton. if there wasn't 60k in mr that day, i am charlie chaplin. absolutely heaving.

that's just an example of the depth of support we had/have when we need it. if city get to the cup final, they could sell wembley twice over for just blues.

and i am 100% sure if this. our fanbase of historically deep, has been amazingly loyal and is waiting for something special. well, what we have had this past year is just that. a slight upturn in the economy and coms will be full week after week, as it was for 03/04.
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:50 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Image

Would much prefer that we got rid of the tiers in the South Stand and have one big stand so we have one big crowd cheering the team on from behind the goal instead of being seperated byt eh tiers, it would be fantastic for the atmosphere. I'm sure some architectural boffin could design that and incorporate it into the stadium.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 pm

lets see if we win a cup or two and win the prem, then lets see if we need a bigger ground. lets walk before we run
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Fish111 wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Image

Would much prefer that we got rid of the tiers in the South Stand and have one big stand so we have one big crowd cheering the team on from behind the goal instead of being seperated byt eh tiers, it would be fantastic for the atmosphere. I'm sure some architectural boffin could design that and incorporate it into the stadium.

Was thinking that myself. The tiers don't help the atmos because if you're on the bottom one you have no connection to sing with the tiers above. Would be great to have one big stand at one end. Even better if it was a terrace! Perhaps the sheikh could use his influence on the Govt.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:44 am

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:lets see if we win a cup or two and win the prem, then lets see if we need a bigger ground. lets walk before we run

We've covered this many times Steve and I dont understand your attitude tbh. You are aware of the enormous plans the owners have, on & off the field. You will be aware that we mostly sold out during the KK season in the Premier. All this over the years with just us diehards without the inevitable glory-hunters who are starting to appear. I take it you're not involved in strategic planning?

We will sell out on Saturday (6 seats to go on the website) and if results continue positively we will sell out a lot more.

So you want to wait because:
1) We're short of cash?
2) Want to wait until we have thousands who can't get tickets, 2 or 3 years down the line? (Homer: 'DOH, we need more seats')

No, you plan now, then all those fans can see us win trophies 2 or 3 years down the line! Trust in the Sheik.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:59 am

Before they build the Trafford Centre, the land was earmarked for the Olympic Stadium. They were talking about building 100,000+ seats and retractable roof etc, but wanted one or both teams to move to it. I remember my rag uncle saying it would be stupid to move, as it would be half empty most weeks with no atmosphere. At the time, pre-Sky, OT probably held about 47k and was rarely full. Football was on the decline and you could get tickets for most games at most grounds.

Bet they wish they'd gone for the cheap 100k stadium now - it would have been full for most of the last 10 years.

If the owners are willing to extend the stadium, without putting the debt on the club, why would anyone be against it? Yes it'll increase the amount of tourists and hangers on, but it also means I'll be able to take my two kids when they are old enough rather than waiting for someone you know to die and then having to bring up the season ticket question at the wake.

Forward with [strike]Franny[/strike], I mean the Sheikh.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I believed from the 1st moment of our takeover Abu Dhabi Group wants to bild something great in the Eastlands empty zone!!!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum