AFC Wimbledon

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

AFC Wimbledon

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:39 am

I've been looking through all the league tables today looking on teams which I've lived near, was nice to see Altrincham (my first ever match was at Moss Lane) doing well on 10 points and second in the league early doors.

But then I spotted AFC Wimbledon in 6th place on 7 points and thought what a wonderful story. Talk about fans been shit on from the greatest of heights, but they are coming back strong and I didn't realise they'd made it to the Blue Square Premier already.

I so hope they get promoted back into the football league this year. Double bonus if MK Dons went down. I'd love to see Wimbledon hammer MK Dons in a league match!

Good luck to them and their long suffering fans.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: AFC Wimbledon

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:46 am

mate of mine from uni is a mad Wimbledon fan (and a bit mad) and he knocked following the Dons on the head completely post Franchise FC and has been following AFCW home and away since.

He emailed me the other day toasting the reversal in City's fortunes and optimistic at his side's chances of getting back into the football league. Would be a brilliant achievement and story.

Unlike FC United I completely understand why the Wimbledon fans did what they did and wish them all the best
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am

Couldn't believe it when that happened...thought something like that only happened in the States

I know a few NFL teams have done it...The Raiders being probably the most hight profile in their move from LA to Oakland

Just imagine if this happened to City?

The fucking Chairman wouldn't get out alive!!
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby irblinx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:56 am

ant london wrote:mate of mine from uni is a mad Wimbledon fan (and a bit mad) and he knocked following the Dons on the head completely post Franchise FC and has been following AFCW home and away since.

He emailed me the other day toasting the reversal in City's fortunes and optimistic at his side's chances of getting back into the football league. Would be a brilliant achievement and story.

Unlike FC U***d I completely understand why the Wimbledon fans did what they did and wish them all the best

Totally agree, the scummers were basically shutting the stable door years after the horse had bolted with complaining the club was being sold out!

AFCW deserve nothing but praise and respect, would love to get them in the cup at some point
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:58 am

If they get promoted this season are they in League 2?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby mr_nool » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:58 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Couldn't believe it when that happened...thought something like that only happened in the States

I know a few NFL teams have done it...The Raiders being probably the most hight profile in their move from LA to Oakland

You mean from Oakland to LA and then back to Oakland again ;-)
They actually started out as Oakland Raiders, so in one sense they have come home.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 am

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Couldn't believe it when that happened...thought something like that only happened in the States

You mean from Oakland to LA and then back to Oakland again ;-)
They actually started out as Oakland Raiders, so in one sense they have come home.

Hehe...well i'm no expert on those pad wearing pansies ;-) x
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 am

MaseCTID wrote:If they get promoted this season are they in League 2?

Yep. Would be great but getting out of the Blue Square is really tough.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Dameerto » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:38 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:I've been looking through all the league tables today looking on teams which I've lived near, was nice to see Altrincham (my first ever match was at Moss Lane) doing well on 10 points and second in the league early doors.

But then I spotted AFC Wimbledon in 6th place on 7 points and thought what a wonderful story. Talk about fans been shit on from the greatest of heights, but they are coming back strong and I didn't realise they'd made it to the Blue Square Premier already.

I so hope they get promoted back into the football league this year. Double bonus if MK Dons went down. I'd love to see Wimbledon hammer MK Dons in a league match!

Good luck to them and their long suffering fans.

I followed non-league football for a few seasons and Wimbledon are a force to be reckoned with - they have finished near the top in every league they've been in since their creation with just the playoffs slowing them down. They're well supported and will be in the League inside a couple of seasons. Best of luck to them.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Moved to Kingston a couple of weeks ago so AFC Wimbledon are now my local team - sadly, Merton Council still won't let them build their own ground in Wimbledon so the play at Kingsmeadow (along with Kingstonian FC)

Planning on going to see them play a couple of times this season.....
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Blue in North London » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Hughesthedaddy wrote:Moved to Kingston a couple of weeks ago so AFC Wimbledon are now my local team - sadly, Merton Council still won't let them build their own ground in Wimbledon so the play at Kingsmeadow (along with Kingstonian FC)

It's a good day out at Kingstonian. It has good facilities and the team play good football. There's not much near teh ground, although you can grab a beer at the off-licence on the way to the ground.

I have been a few times myself because a friend was on the board, and he was one of the main people behind the setting up of AFC. Maybe I am a tad biased about the Kingstonian 'experience' as I tend to receive the hospitality in the club house.

They get about 3k-4k at home games. Strangely, it hasn't really increased much at all as they have progressed through teh leagues. Indicating that many of the paying fans are those who used to attend Wimbledon games and they are struggling to attract new fans.

If you wanted to make the day even more fun, wear a MK Dons shirt. ;)
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Hughesthedaddy wrote:Moved to Kingston a couple of weeks ago so AFC Wimbledon are now my local team - sadly, Merton Council still won't let them build their own ground in Wimbledon so the play at Kingsmeadow (along with Kingstonian FC)

Would've thought some obscure Jamaican team would be your local team then!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum