When Chelsea came into cash?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: When Chelsea came into cash?

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
sandman wrote:
10.Goater_Legend wrote:
sandman wrote:Fair do's Chelsea have had a good run for a few years but have not completely taken the world by storm, they are up their with the best but do not stand up and above the Champions League. This is why I feel we shall be hated all the more;

City have access to copious amounts more funds than Chelsea could dream of.

City are not a London Club.

City were previously not even regularly in the top half.

The press have historically snubbed City as the Mancunian underdogs, and will not like us pushing their Baconfaces Baconface out of joint.

Plus, all the teams between 17th and the top will feel (rightly or wrongly) that we have somehow leapfrogged them and that they deserve our good fortunes, I suppose we have, but our fortune is long overdue.

Yes but as a club we defo deserve it alot more than all of them. In the 60s and 70s (not to mention 20s and 30s etc) we were one of the most successful clubs in the country, and on course to be up there with the Liverpool's and Scum's of the world. Infact many I have spoke to think we were only 2 or 3 players away from having a real crack in Europe.

Then all that changed with Swales, not at first but eventully it became obvious the man was a nutter. From the mid 70's till late 90's when Bernstain took over the club was so piss poorly managed that we went from one of the most powerful clubs in the country to the third tier, not to mention turning a cosistent successful club from champions to one which hasnt won anything for 33 years. We have only just now started to recover as a club with ADUG from the damage done by Swales.

The one thing however that has remained great through all this shit has been us, the fans. 30,000 a week in divison fucking 2 I could go on and on. Now this club if finally getting back to where we belong which is the top of the English game, but like you say clubs who have never done half as much as us think we have no right to be above them? They can all do one because no matter what a glory chasing top 4 fans says, Spud fan, Everton fan, We are one of the biggest clubs in the country for a number of reasons including our fanbase, fine history and heritage and some of the great players who have played for our club to name a few and we always will be.

The fact we havn't won anything for 33 years yet remain the 9th most successful club in English football history shows you how great we were and how great we will be. We will forever be a big club and we will take our place back at the top of the game, it's a matter of time.

Couldnt agree more, and the fact that we have enough fans in the immediate area to completely fill our stadium we may do it without attracting too many of the glory supporters!!

(p.s. we won something yesterday... ha ha)

Swales & Ken Bates; 2 cheeks of the same arsehole. Bates made a monumental fuckup of Chelsea, got rescued by Matthew Harding, fucked it up again & got taken over by a billionaire a day before the club was due to go into admininstration. For his troubles he sailed off into the sunset with millions, just like Swales at City. Minimum outlay; maximum profit. Notice how both of them spent 20 years 'developing' the ground.

Swales could've walked away with a huge profit & still left us with money to buy players but chose to get every single penny he could so we were left with nothing once the money needed to rectify his destruction of the club became apparent . Twat.

Then again despite the past financial atrocities and changes in management both for good and bad I dont believe we'd have knocked on the door of the top 4 anyway, so in a way I believe relegation, hard time and bottom of the table scraps just make the current situation feel so much better, who'd have even dreamt it ten years ago!!
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

With Bates though, the club couldn't have been in worse shape when he took it over, didn't he buy it for a pound or a penny or something? But had to assume their crippling debts. I think they were better off when he left.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Slim wrote:With Bates though, the club couldn't have been in worse shape when he took it over, didn't he buy it for a pound or a penny or something? But had to assume their crippling debts. I think they were better off when he left.

Swales did the same. He came in as a 'peacemaker' between different factions of the board (& one wonders who created the rift between these factions), at a time when we were one of the top clubs in the country, ran us into the ground as chairman over a period of time, then bought the club plus debts for next to fuck all, sold the club in much much worse shape with huge debts for millions.

Re Chelsea, I remember how they were pretty much about to go into administration, literally the next morning, then next thing they're owned by a Russian billionaire! Talk about flying by the seat of your pants.

Notice how Leeds have managed to avoid paying most of their debts now? More profit in the future for you know who.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Amazed he hasn't 'asked' them for Fabian then.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Does anyone remember when Bates wanted to install electric fences at the Bridge to stop fans coming on the pitch!? He wasn't joking.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Does anyone remember when Bates wanted to install electric fences at the Bridge to stop fans coming on the pitch!? He wasn't joking.

The mans a complete prick. Heres a debate, who was worse Swales or Bates?.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ronk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Chelsea were mostly left alone. They got some stick but also a lot of good will. The club that lost out the most from Chelsea was Arsenal. Scum were able to kick up their spending a few gears and eventually wound up in a stronger position (barring debt). Arsenal got one last moment of glory out of the invincibles but then faded.

The animus towards Chelsea really came later. Ranieri getting the sack stung the well wishers and their (and Mourinho's) ruthlessness quickly made them unpopular. They made a sudden switch to more direct football and tightened defence (especially after we beat them) and went on this string of 1-0 victories.

The key lesson for me was that once they allowed themselves to become dislikeable, they really got a hell of a lot more stick. If we want to maintain good karma (and we most certainly do) then we need to be whiter than white.

I don't want neutrals to able to say, with justification, that we were the same as the rags but likeable because we were crap. We've been good losers, now hopefully we can become good winners.
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm

10.Goater_Legend wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Does anyone remember when Bates wanted to install electric fences at the Bridge to stop fans coming on the pitch!? He wasn't joking.

The mans a complete prick. Heres a debate, who was worse Swales or Bates?.

Swales, because Bates never tried to disguise the fact he's a c**t.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby patrickblue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:With Bates though, the club couldn't have been in worse shape when he took it over, didn't he buy it for a pound or a penny or something? But had to assume their crippling debts. I think they were better off when he left.

Swales did the same. He came in as a 'peacemaker' between different factions of the board (& one wonders who created the rift between these factions), at a time when we were one of the top clubs in the country, ran us into the ground as chairman over a period of time, then bought the club plus debts for next to fuck all, sold the club in much much worse shape with huge debts for millions.

Re Chelsea, I remember how they were pretty much about to go into administration, literally the next morning, then next thing they're owned by a Russian billionaire! Talk about flying by the seat of your pants.

Notice how Leeds have managed to avoid paying most of their debts now? More profit in the future for you know who.

According to everything I've read the rift was caused by the fact that Big Mal was pissed off with playing second fiddle to Joe. He was persuaded to go along with a boardroom coup orchestrated by Ian Niven and financed by a double glazing millionaire called Joe Smith. Joe Smith bought the vice chairman's (can't remember his name) shares. Swales was brought in around this point by the existing chairman, Albert Alexander as his man, someone who would vote with the original board members to stop them being voted off. Swales however had his own agenda, and all the intervening years of mediocrity were the result
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum